Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Mary Fahy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i was just announcing the fact that she made it into the top fifty people who fecked up this country, the list having just being published by John Waters esquire in his latest offering Feckers
    i'd like to see the article. no way i believe that psycho cow would do anything against the holy laws of the land.

So I used 'the google' anyway and came up with this link:
    http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/city-restaurant-convicted-for-selling-liquor-on-good-friday/

It seems she did in fact follow the law and convicted the nine restaurants. She simply gave her opinion on how the ban was ludicrous.

What exactly does the author say about Judge Fahy in the book?

Aside http://www.independent.ie/national-news/exemptions-from-good-friday-alcoholsale-ban-2092393.html seems hotels can provide alcohol among others provided there is a meal, which is usually the reason one goes to a restaurant too.

oops, didnt see this. yeah, that makes more sense.

drum! wrote: »
    Fair me howl! She's incredibly inconsistent, her punishments often don't fit the crime and she's an absolute battleaxe. I can't believe some of the horrible things she says to people when dishing out a sentence for meagre, non-violent crimes.
    I stopped reading the madness from her, when she convicted and fined a phd student for stealing razors and shaving cream after suggesting he was avoiding work by studying for too long -

why razors and shaving cream esp you may ask - bec to me, that's just a step above food items. if it was CD's or Ipods or anything like that fair nuff - but something to keep himself looking human??? - fcuk her, the bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

drum! wrote: »
    Fair me howl! She's incredibly inconsistent, her punishments often don't fit the crime and she's an absolute battleaxe. I can't believe some of the horrible things she says to people when dishing out a sentence for meagre, non-violent crimes.

Could some of ye link up an example or two of her alleged unfairness?

I've been reading through the archives of the Galway Independent and the Advertiser this morning and she doesn't come across as the harpy some of the people here are saying she is.

The Advertiser search isn't that great but it works and here http://www.galwayindependent.com/option,com_ijoomla_archive/act,getall/task,archive/ptitle,Ann%20Healy/author,462/ is a link to at least some court articles from the Indepenent. Of the latter, I recommend at least reading the one about the sentencing of the granddad :)

Also, OP, any hints as to what Waters says in his book?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

we live in a catholic country(at least in name) so it comes as no surprise that there is trace of catholic influence. in muslim countries alcohol is forbidden 365 and if you are not a muslim tough titty.

Not true, was in two different muslim countries this year and bought and consumed alchol in both. Heck even the supermarket had a section for non muslims to be able to buy pork products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Art Smart banned. You may not like some decisions this judge have taken, it will not excuse your bad language and personal attacks.

As said above "Could some of ye link up an example or two of her alleged unfairness?" From now on if anyone has anything bad to say, please have a link as proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

She is always a great one for saying "that kind of drinking would not be acceptable in other European cities".

But she never really mentions nightclubs closing at 2:30 would not be acceptable in other European cities either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

She is always a great one for saying "that kind of drinking would not be acceptable in other European cities".

But she never really mentions nightclubs closing at 2:30 would not be acceptable in other European cities either.

her predecessor was also critical of clubs.
    john garvan tried to introduce the curry and rice but clubs were against it as they might have had to give something back to the customers. they gave meal tickets but there was never any trace or smell of food within.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

her predecessor was also critical of clubs.
    john garvan tried to introduce the curry and rice but clubs were against it as they might have had to give something back to the customers. they gave meal tickets but there was never any trace or smell of food within.

What are you talking about? There was always food. Mind you some of it would take a brave person to try but it was always there.

The clubs were against it because it was a stupid idea.

Anyway, what does this have to do with judge Fahy being in John Waters' book?

Das Kitty wrote: »
    What are you talking about? There was always food. Mind you some of it would take a brave person to try but it was always there.

not in the Gpo there wasnt. you obviously went to finer establishments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

No, I went to the GPO, up the stairs to the right.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

not in the Gpo there wasnt. you obviously went to finer establishments.
    I remember seeing plates of "matter" being served in the GPO. I also remember being advised to stay well clear of it.

If you're still of the opinion that the judiciary should not give any personal opinions on matters before them, I suggest you do yourself a favour and don't ever read any of Dennings judgments...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

skelliser wrote: »
    John Waters! :rolleyes:

a tosser of the highest order!
    he really is!

Also, is he a recovering alco or somesuch cos this isn't the first time i've come accross him being all upset about people having a drink... he had a scathing review of electric picnic in the times this year, lamenting all the young people who could only enjoy themselves by indulging in excessive alcohol comsumption... "crazed" i think was the word he used.

twat

Bans for insulting a public figure.
    Hopefully this will show you can't go throwing mud at people from behind your keyboards

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

biko wrote: »
    Bans for insulting a public figure.
    Hopefully this will show you can't go throwing mud at people from behind your keyboards
    That wouldn't work at all, sure it'd get all over your screens and be a terror to clean off.

rivalius13, don't post again.
    Everyone else, back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Ok so let me get this straight -

Judge Mary Fahy convicts restaurant owners of serving alcohol on Good Friday but says that she thinks its a ridiculous law.

No matter what you think of her HOW can that make it into a book about the top 50 people who fecked up the country?!

The only reason is because John Waters is a religious nut trying to force his opinions on others.

The only reason is because John Waters is a religious nut trying to force his opinions on others.
    Please refrain from calling Mr Waters a nut.

John Waters have written about Fahy before in The Irish Catholic paper, two years ago.
    That's probably the base for the mention in his book.
    http://www.irishcatholic.ie/quickfiles/2008/021008/021008.pdf?id=52&sku=021008 page 9
    Very well. What, then, do we conclude in this context from recent reports from Galway, where Judge Fahy, sitting in open court in the full glare of the media, refused to record convictions in nine cases in which restaurants were prosecuted for serving wine on Good Friday last? Prosecuting restaurants for offering wine to their customers with their meals on Good Friday is `ludicrous' and `ridiculous', she said.
    Judge Fahy, presiding at Galway District Court, elaborated that people were entitled to have wine with their meals even on Good Friday.

Judge Fahy marked the facts proven in all of the cases, but recorded no convictions. She said while the State and the Garda were technically correct in bringing the prosecutions under the intoxicating liquor legislation, she would not be happy to record convictions.
    She observed that she was probably leaving herself open to judicial review by the State for taking this stance, but she didn't mind. ``If people want to go out for a meal on Good Friday I would have thought they could have a drink with their meal,'' she said.
    ``Technically you [the Garda inspector] are correct, but I think myself it is absolutely ludicrous that people, on holidays especially, cannot have a glass of wine with their meal. I'm not advocating that pubs open on Good Friday but I think restaurants should open''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Judge Fahy, was there ever a time when she wasn't outspoken and getting her opinions all over newspapers.
    I used to look forward to the Galway Advertiser to see what she would come out with every week :rolleyes:
    Judge Fahy marked the facts proven in all of the cases, but recorded no convictions. She said while the State and the Garda were technically correct in bringing the prosecutions under the intoxicating liquor legislation, she would not be happy to record convictions

She is there to follow the law, not undermine the Gardai who are doing their job. Maybe Mill St will think twice next time they bring people to court over this? Hopefully not

If she thinks she can write a better law then go run for the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I though that had something to do with the licenses they were trading under at the time. If I remember correctly they were using a restaurant license because there were no specific allowances for clubs at the time (or there were a limited number allowed in Galway, something along those lines).

• Advertisement

Judge Fahy, was there ever a time when she wasn't outspoken and getting her opinions all over newspapers.
    I used to look forward to the Galway Advertiser to see what she would come out with every week :rolleyes:

She is there to follow the law, not undermine the Gardai who are doing their job. Maybe Mill St will think twice next time they bring people to court over this? Hopefully not

If she thinks she can write a better law then go run for the Dáil.

A judges job is to interpret the law. In some cases this can be tricky and the ''Good Friday'' one is definitely in that bracket. She had the right to call it as she did, that's her job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

its a stupid law as many are, it will be changed in time as the church and state continue to seperate, until then its nice to know people like mary fahy will call a spade a spade when they see it. if i'm not a catholic why should i have to have this catholic based law forced on me?

Bosco boy wrote: »
    its a stupid law as many are, it will be changed in time as the church and state continue to seperate, until then its nice to know people like mary fahy will call a spade a spade when they see it. if i'm not a catholic why should i have to have this catholic based law forced on me?
    You live in a state with 90% catholic population (last cencus), so I'll reverse the question: why should we live in a state where the beliefs of the minority are more important than those of the overwhelming majority of the country.

What does it say about us as a nation that there is an outcry every year around the ONLY 2 days that alcohol can't be sold? Or the fact that they are the busiest days for the drinks industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

antoobrien wrote: »
    You live in a state with 90% catholic population (last cencus), so I'll reverse the question: why should we live in a state where the beliefs of the minority are more important than those of the overwhelming majority of the country.

Why should we live in a nation where the religious beliefs of the (supposed) majority are imposed on the (supposed) minority?

What does it say about us as a nation that there is an outcry every year around the ONLY 2 days that alcohol can't be sold? Or the fact that they are the busiest days for the drinks industry?

Why should religion dictate law? If you want to abstain from drink on good Friday well you do that and good luck to you, but don't ram it down my throat!

Ok so let me get this straight -

Judge Mary Fahy convicts restaurant owners of serving alcohol on Good Friday but says that she thinks its a ridiculous law.

No matter what you think of her HOW can that make it into a book about the top 50 people who fecked up the country?!

she refused to convict, in other words refused to her job.
    whats a religious nut, a catholic who goes to church?

how can we possibly survive two days without alcohol? closing pubs like this serves to show how central booze is to our lives.

it is interesting how the secular minority are trying to impose their will on the christian majority.

as another poster pointed out its not a church law, but a civil one. i guess the authorities wanted it so that some children would experience their parents sober on two days of the year.

einshteen wrote: »
    Why should we live in a nation where the religious beliefs of the (supposed) majority are imposed on the (supposed) minority?
    Bosco boy wrote: »
    Why should religion dictate law? If you want to abstain from drink on good Friday well you do that and good luck to you, but don't ram it down my throat!
    Is majority rule called democracy any more?

When I go to the ballot box I don't vote for a religion! Don't get me wrong I'm not anti church but I think they should not have such infulance as they have had in state law, why can't a practicing catholic not apply the rule/law to themselves if they are so inclined, I'm not saying the minority should win out but it's the fact that a church dictates this law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

she refused to convict, in other words refused to her job.
    whats a religious nut, a catholic who goes to church?
    She did convict according to the report in the Galway Independent (see the earlier link) - the report specifically quotes her noting the conviction and making reference to other media reports that stated no conviction was recorded. As an aside she is quite entitled as a district court judge to have a conviction not recorded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement