Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Router Bridge Help

• 02-01-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

I have done some searching on here but cant figure this bridge system out, ill explain my setup below.

I have two eircom routers, my main one is the netopia silver model with twin aerials, this is on my main line in the hall. I also have a zyxel single aerial that I have in my sitting room, I want to use the zyxel in bridge mode as I want to wire my TV,BR and Xbox into this instead of having cables running around the house to the main router.

I have enabled bridge mode on the zyxel router and removed the normal phone line cable from the back of zyxel which Eircom told me to do. Now there is no internet light but all other lights are solid but cant connect to this.

Do I need to do anything else on the zyxel or on my netopia to let them speak to each other.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You cannot do this. You are trying to connect two modems together, which is impossible. You need a router ONLY for the 2nd one, not a modem/router. The router will have to be configurable as an access point, which most can.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 smythc

jor el wrote: »
    You cannot do this. You are trying to connect two modems together, which is impossible. You need a router ONLY for the 2nd one, not a modem/router. The router will have to be configurable as an access point, which most can.

ohh, but isnt that why you can set one to bridge and then just remive the phone line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

jor el wrote: »

You can turn either modem into a network switch by disabling dhcp on ONE device, assigning a static IP on same subnet and then enabling bridge mode.

They will however need to be connect to one another via an Ethernet cable as I don't think they will bridge together wirelessly.

Peats have 2 home plugs for 80 which might be the easiest route.

lordlame wrote: »
    You can turn either modem into a network switch by disabling dhcp on ONE device, assigning a static IP on same subnet and then enabling bridge mode.

They will however need to be connect to one another via an Ethernet cable as I don't think they will bridge together wirelessly.

Peats have 2 home plugs for 80 which might be the easiest route.

thanks for the reply, was just reading about this, having to connect via cable is what im trying to avoid, i have a 25ft ethernet cable in use at the moment nd want to get rid of that.

not to worry, my main reason for keeping the router in the hall is thats my main full speed socket, however both it and in TV room return download speed of 5.3mb so i think i will just move to one router in the TV room

cheers

Colm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

best thing would be to get a set of homeplugs and a switch
    main router>homeplug>homeplug>switch
    everything is connected through ethernet without wires everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Again, +1 for homeplugs. Be very careful as to what you buy though. Most sets of homeplugs are horribly expensive, and don't have much benefit over cheaper ones. I bought mine in the "Laptop Shop" in Stephens Green for only €35, and are very reliable.

€35 for two?

Thanks to everyone who responded, I have just moved my main router to the V room, I wanted wired connections as its for Sony Internet TV and gaming and wireless degrades a bit too much for my needs.

So no I have Sony Internet TV / BluRay and Xbox all connected to the router and all is grand.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

lordlame wrote: »
    €35 for two?

Yep, two. Was pleasantly surprised.

Had they got many left? Bargain alert!

• Advertisement
Advertisement