Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quoted and Actual Self Build costs in 2011 - Mod warning in Post No. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Supertech wrote: »
    Just had tender prices back for large bungalow in Wexford. Block build, plaster / stone finish / aluminium windows / concrete tiled roof - reasonably high spec.

Tendered Prices ranged from €74/sq.ft to €90/sq.ft - 7 prices in total - fiercely competitive tendering, numerous phone calls, canvassing of clients, proposals to reduce costs etc.

House finished internally and externally ready for decoration but excluding fitted kitchens and wardrobes, and sanitary ware will be supplied by Client.

Prices include

Geothermal Heating System (PC)
    Aluminium Windows (PC)
    Driveway / kerbs / small patio area / entrance walls and VAT !

B1 rating at the moment, but with prices like that the insulation could get a major boost.
    Couldn't believe the range of prices - nor could the Clients

This is priced from a builder?
    If self-build it should be less -% ? 25-30?
    I am self-building in the next 8-10 weeks. I am going to do a daily blog from start to finish with pictures, details, prices, timeframe, everything, so that people looking to self-build know exactly whats involved.
    My first time doing anything like this building wise. Am I mad? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 norming09

Hay Irish Mob?

where will you be blogging the house, id love to following as i am thinking of building in the next year

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

norming09 wrote: »
    Hay Irish Mob?

where will you be blogging the house, id love to following as i am thinking of building in the next year

Yes I will be ..every day with all details. Photos, info on each stage, and costs, timeline, etc.
    Should be interesting as its the first time ever doing anything like this and its ment to be so stressful.
    I will know if we have planning in the next 2 weeks.
    Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

I am self-building in the next 8-10 weeks. I am going to do a daily blog from start to finish with pictures, details, prices, timeframe, everything, so that people looking to self-build know exactly whats involved.
    Don't understand what you mean THEIRISHMOB.

Are you saying that you'd expect builders to be pricing 25-30% lower than that or that a 'self-build' by (which I presume you mean direct labour) will be that much cheaper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What BER are you going for ?

I don't believe those %'s tbh.

If that saving was possible, you're implying that there is that much of a margin in building, generally. Don't take my word for it- ask anyone in the trade, no-one, no-one, is on anything like that. Low single-digit %'s, if you're lucky.

You need to clarify the VAT thing as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭strewthelvis

Hi i was wondering if ye could give me a rough idea what a humble 3/4 bed house would cost in rural galway. would like to have it as insulated/energy rated as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hi i was wondering if ye could give me a rough idea what a humble 3/4 bed house would cost in rural galway. would like to have it as insulated/energy rated as possible

I think if you read through this thread you will get your answer, look back a few weeks

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

€784 per sq m, is one price I've seen - so: how big is your house ?

FYI, on a related note, was out on the road/site a lot lately, and came in to office this week to catch up on paperwork etc.

Included in the mountain of post was a letter from a supplier advising of material price increases on insulation (of all kinds: Phenolic, Vermiculite,XPS, PIR, CIR, etc).

Price increases range from 7.5% for one item, but the majority increasing by anywhere from 10% to 15%, effective June 1st.

So everything from floor, to wall, to roof to EWI insulation, is all on the up. This is the 3rd round of increases so far this year, the most recent was only in April.

YMMV and FYI and all that. :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

When construction cost prices are quoted here, do they usually include VAT (13.5%)?

I'm hearing that banks are seeing €75 (inc. VAT) per sq ft in North West, for turn key by main contractor, coming through in their mortgage work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 weston1

asomeday wrote: »
    Hi guys

just wondering if anyone has done self-build in roscommon recently. hoping to have 4 bed house, only starting plans now would like to budget & my spacial awareness is atrocious so have no idea of ft2 requirements etc

all help appreciated!

in the middle of self build outside roscommon town. what part u in. pm me and i'll give u name of good guys with good prices. at roof stage at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Duffers11

Hi All, I am just wondering if somebody can give me a rough guidline on a self build. Myself and partner and currently in for planning in Wicklow. I am looking for a rough price guide to build. The house is a 2500 sq ft bungalow. All of the work will be done by himself so there are no labour costs involved. So just looking for a breakdown on materials and costs from the word go, such as dig out, foundation to finish. We are working to a tight budget so hopefully it will come in around my expectations. Hope some1 can help! Thanks a mill !:)

Duffers11 wrote: »
    Hi All, I am just wondering if somebody can give me a rough guidline on a self build. Myself and partner and currently in for planning in Wicklow. I am looking for a rough price guide to build. The house is a 2500 sq ft bungalow. All of the work will be done by himself so there are no labour costs involved. So just looking for a breakdown on materials and costs from the word go, such as dig out, foundation to finish. We are working to a tight budget so hopefully it will come in around my expectations. Hope some1 can help! Thanks a mill !:)

You haven't given any indication of what spec you're building to, so it's impossible to answer, really.

I can tell you I know of an A2 bungalow in North Co Dublin built for €1051 per sq m (inc VAT). How you'd adjust that for Wicklow, I don't know.......

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just a quick reminder (again) that this thread is for posting prices you have been quoted or prices you have paid for the various aspects of domestic construction. The thread is not to be used for looking for prices.

My friend is building a conventional build and not worrying/bothering with renewables, BER, etc and all direct labour. He has managed to get this house and garage sealed to the elements ( foundations, blocked roofed garage built, windows and doors ,guttering ,stonework and plastering,awaiting internal doors and floors electrics,plumbing and doors) for 40 euro/ sq Ft. I Kid you not.

I believe you, but as you say yourself, that house most likely does not comply with current building regs, so it's irrelevant, really.

If we get anything approaching the likes of the last two winters, he'll know all about it.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pcooney

Not bad.

I am currently building and am expecting to come in at Eur 47 /sq foot. This does not include price of site however as was a gift. We are putting 150mm of wall insulation, Triple glazing, HRV, solar panels, stove with back boiler and also boiler. It also includes internal doors etc. Eur 47 / sq ft includes kitchen but not tiling or flooring.

All direct labour with local tradesmen whom we know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

pcooney wrote: »
    Not bad.

I am currently building and am expecting to come in at Eur 47 /sq foot. This does not include price of site however as was a gift. We are putting 150mm of wall insulation, Triple glazing, HRV, solar panels, stove with back boiler and also boiler. It also includes internal doors etc. Eur 47 / sq ft includes kitchen but not tiling or flooring.

All direct labour with local tradesmen whom we know.

sorry for being negative but i dont believe it can be done for that materials on any house will eat up the majority of that

1chippy wrote: »
    sorry for being negative but i dont believe it can be done for that materials on any house will eat up the majority of that

Ditto. I cannot see how you would build a performing house for that kind of price.

Ode To The Motorist

Bungalow of 2400 sq ft

Foundations = 15,000
    Blocks 7000 @ Eur 430/1000 = 3,000
    BLock Layer 50c per block (6750) = 3,375
    Extras = 625
    Cavity Bead Insulation (150mm) = 1,750
    Roof Insulation (300mm) = 2,200
    Triple glazed windows and doors = 8,000
    Plastering (Materials and labour) =12,000
    Electrical (Materials and labour) = 5,500
    Plumbing Materials = 7,000
    Plumbing Labour = 4,000
    Roofing Labour = 5,000
    Roofing Materials =15,000
    Internal doors (Materials and Labour) = 4,500
    Solar (30 Tube) = 5,500
    HRV = 4,750
    sewage Treatment system = 6,000
    Painting = 1,500
    Insurance (Self-build) = 750
    Kitchen = 5,500
    Council Fees = 2,000
    Lawyer = 2,500
    water (Well) = 2,500
    ESB Connection = 1,800
    TOTAL = 115,000

Price per sq ft comes in at Eur 48.
    BER provisional A3 rating might possibly get A2, but maybe not.

Am I missing anything major there ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

I will make no assumptions but will state that if you manage to pull this off with Tax and Vat paying tradesmen then you will have achieved some to be proud of.

As it stands based on a previous post, I take it that you can't be that far along. These are therefore budgetting prices.

I've omitted things I can't comment on but here are some thoughts
    Foundations = 15,000

This includes?
    (a) Site Clearance
    (b) Disposal of subsoil
    (c) Digging of foundations
    (d) Supply and install of concrete and any required reinforcement
    (e) Radon membrane and sump
    (f) Floor insulation
    (g) Floor slab
    (h) Potential screed
    Extras = 625

I don't believe "625 Extras" will cover:
    (a) Sand
    (b) Cement
    (c) Plasticizer\Morticizier (I always mix these up in terms of which is for plastering or block laying)
    (d) Wall ties
    (e) DPCs

I have no idea how much glazing you have so this is a difficult one. I would
    suggest that you're not getting a quality triple glazed window for that money however.

Is this for inside and outside?
    Plaster slabbing of ceilings (materials and labour)?

Light fittings included?
    If you achieve this you have a very modest specification
    Plumbing Labour = 4,000

This seems achievable
    Roofing Labour = 5,000

Labour appears too low for a bungalow (and hence roof) the size of yours.

With respect, you must have specified some very cheap doors\handles\hinges etc in order to achieve this
    Painting = 1,500

Materials only I assume. Inside and outside?

What about
    (a) Driveways
    (b) Pathways
    (c) Wing walls (may have been covered in blocklaying)
    (d) Any planting that is mandated in your planning (I've to plant 40 semi mature native trees for example.
    (e) Airtightness materials and installation (you can omit the HRV if you omit these)
    (f) Blowerdoor test
    (g) Scaffolding
    (h) Soffit, Fascia, Guttering, Downpipes

Bungalow of 2400 sq ft

....BER provisional A3 rating might possibly get A2, but maybe not.

I don't see any Airtightness and I don't see any VAT.

If you get A2 on the simple figures above, you have done well. Better than well in fact.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    I don't see any Airtightness and I don't see any VAT.

If you get A2 on the simple figures above, you have done well. Better than well in fact.
    sas wrote: »
    I will make no assumptions but will state that if you manage to pull this off with Tax and Vat paying tradesmen then you will have achieved some to be proud of.

As it stands based on a previous post, I take it that you can't be that far along. These are therefore budgetting prices.

I've omitted things I can't comment on but here are some thoughts

This includes?
    (a) Site Clearance
    (b) Disposal of subsoil
    (c) Digging of foundations
    (d) Supply and install of concrete and any required reinforcement
    (e) Radon membrane and sump
    (f) Floor insulation
    (g) Floor slab
    (h) Potential screed

Only material costs here as brother is doing all this for me.

I don't believe "625 Extras" will cover:
    (a) Sand
    (b) Cement
    (c) Plasticizer\Morticizier (I always mix these up in terms of which is for plastering or block laying)
    (d) Wall ties
    (e) DPCs

You could be quite right here, I have not got quotes for this so this could increase quite a bit, but fact that brother is in trade we are getting virtually all materials cost price. (VAT included).

I have no idea how much glazing you have so this is a difficult one. I would
    suggest that you're not getting a quality triple glazed window for that money however.

We dont have that much glazing, prices from MJ, WGlaze and Sen all within Eur 600 of that price.

Is this for inside and outside?
    Plaster slabbing of ceilings (materials and labour)?

We are doing slabbing of Ceilings ourselves

Light fittings included?
    If you achieve this you have a very modest specification

Nice and simple nothing fancy need to keep costs low.

This seems achievable

Labour appears too low for a bungalow (and hence roof) the size of yours.

Carpenter is close friend and doing cost price, so getting Materials and labour at 13.5 VAT, helps keep costs down.

With respect, you must have specified some very cheap doors\handles\hinges etc in order to achieve this

Again cost price here, but will probably go for better quality if everything else is coming close to quoted prices.

Materials only I assume. Inside and outside?
    Yes painting is materials only, we have a sprayer and will do most before door frames etc go in.

What about
    (a) Driveways Just gravel at moment, will eventually tarmac
    (b) Pathways No paths, too tight for drive around house, will tarmac up to house eventually.
    (c) Wing walls (may have been covered in blocklaying) Covered in blocklaying
    (d) Any planting that is mandated in your planning (I've to plant 40 semi mature native trees for example. Site is surronded on 2 1/2 side by mature trees, lucky there, will need to plant some more but not factored in
    (e) Airtightness materials and installation (you can omit the HRV if you omit these) I was told we only need to tape up windows etc is there more involved if yes any idea where to get more info. Dont want to spend 5000 on hrv if airtightness not good.
    (f) Blowerdoor test Being done by friend a BER assessor, I help him out with business he helps me with BER and energy etc
    (g) Scaffolding Have some from brothers building, only year ago.
    (h) Soffit, Fascia, Guttering, Downpipes
    Not included, forgot completely.

Really appreciate all the time you spent, would appreciate any further feedback, is there anywhere i should re-visit.
    Only at foundations, will update prices as they are paid and finished. Blockie is only person I dont know but came highly recommended (yes tax and VAT compliant) other trades will be done by myself, brother or close friends, friends will be paid cost price and VAT, whether they pay tax, i cant say, but VAT included in their quotes anyway.

(e) Airtightness materials and installation (you can omit the HRV if you omit these) I was told we only need to tape up windows etc is there more involved if yes any idea where to get more info. Dont want to spend 5000 on hrv if airtightness not good.

IMHO, you should not put in HRV without an airtightness programme, and no, taping door & window connections is nowhere near sufficient, and you're right, you'll have wasted 5k.

You might as well just put in 100mm hit & miss grille's and keep the 5k for something else.

Which brings us back to your energy rating - what airtightness have you been guaranteed, and what was asssumed in your BER ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

The reason I'm trying to help here is that I'm I've my structure and we're moving on services now and I can assure you the small things are costing alot more than my finger in the air estimate (what can sand cost for example, sure it comes out of the ground :) ). I don't work in the trade so I've had more than a few price surprises.

On the airtightness, I will assume that you are insulating your attic on the flat.

Therefore you will need an airtightness membrane on the ceilings everywhere stapled to the underside of the ceiling joists. You will then require a service cavity within which to run your cabling etc. This detailing requires planning i.e. get it planned now.

Fitting airtightness materials is time consuming, really time consuming. Factor that into your schedule.

In my opinion it's worth every cent on airtightness.

You also need to factor in an airtight attic hatch. They are around 1k.

One thing I do have to ask, how are you getting materials at cost price because you've familly members in the trade? The vast majority of building material purchasers are in the trade. Unless they happen to own a builders providers there is no way you're getting cost price.

Who is supervising\signing off your build? Given the number of friends and familly involved I think you'd be well served to have someone completely independent involved to ensure that when things are done incorrectly it's pointed out.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bungalow of 2400 sq ft

Foundations = 15,000
    Extras = 625
    Plumbing Labour = 4,000
    Roofing Labour = 5,000
    Solar (30 Tube) = 5,500
    HRV = 4,750
    Painting = 1,500
    Kitchen = 5,500
    Council Fees = 2,000
    Lawyer = 2,500
    water (Well) = 2,500
    ESB Connection = 1,800
    TOTAL = 115,000

BER provisional A3 rating might possibly get A2, but maybe not.

all internal finishes? tiling? flooring?
    sanitary fittings? all materials and labour will definitely not be covered in your plumbing quote.. unless its discount material and free labour
    fire surround?
    ironmongry?
    electrical material and labour ridiculously short for a 2400 build, id envisage triple that quote?
    is that well quote just for drilling? what about pump and housing?
    floor insulation?
    concrete pour? reinforcement?
    chimney flue and pots?
    external groundworks? foul and storm? soakaways?

Bungalow of 2400 sq ft

Foundations = 15,000
    Extras = 625
    Plumbing Labour = 4,000
    Roofing Labour = 5,000
    Solar (30 Tube) = 5,500
    HRV = 4,750
    Painting = 1,500
    Kitchen = 5,500
    Council Fees = 2,000
    Lawyer = 2,500
    water (Well) = 2,500
    ESB Connection = 1,800
    TOTAL = 115,000

BER provisional A3 rating might possibly get A2, but maybe

Hi, to begin with I wouldn't have a clue of the building side of things as a female — but myself and partner will hopefully be commencing a new build shortly. It's a 2500 sq ft bungalow in Wicklow, fairly standard L shape with 2 gables to the front with floor to ceiling glass. I would like a highish spec finish but realise that it more of a dream although I do intend to purchase weekly out of salary as well as mortgage so maybe some items will be achievable. Anyway my partner is a builder, roofer, everything really and he is doing all the work himself so there is no labour costs at all, we can get friends that are plumbers nd electricians to help us out that end. As we can only get a mortgage on one income, I've budgeted 130k to build the house, the site is being gifted. Bear in mind the majority of the labour is free so my question is, is it achievable for the materials to be covered in my budget?? Thanks a mill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

We are building a 1609 sq foot, 2.5 storey, semi-d in Clontarf at the moment. We obtained the site just before Christmas and it has taken us until a fortnight ago to get planning permission, to find a contractor and to submit all paperwork etc in relation to the planning requirements blah blah blah. There is a lot of red tape! Had no idea how long the process could drag on for, even after planning permission had been granted.

We begin excavating the foundations on Monday and have spent the past fortnight demolishing the existing structures on the site and levelling the land.

We have negotiated a fixed build price with our contractor and have kept our architect on to project manage the build. So it isn't a 'self-build' per say! We are paying E84 per sq foot and we are going high spec. The design includes a lot of glass, including a large window to the front, spanning the first two storeys and, a wall of glass on the third storey, opening on to a balcony. The build includes kitchen and bathrooms (three bath) but only up to a certain cost, if we opt for a high spec kitchen etc etc we will pay extra for that ourselves and supply those materials.

The estimated end 'date' is March 2012.... Roll on the New Year!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi, to begin with I wouldn't have a clue of the building side of things as a female — but myself and partner will hopefully be commencing a new build shortly. It's a 2500 sq ft bungalow in Wicklow, fairly standard L shape with 2 gables to the front with floor to ceiling glass. I would like a highish spec finish but realise that it more of a dream although I do intend to purchase weekly out of salary as well as mortgage so maybe some items will be achievable. Anyway my partner is a builder, roofer, everything really and he is doing all the work himself so there is no labour costs at all, we can get friends that are plumbers nd electricians to help us out that end. As we can only get a mortgage on one income, I've budgeted 130k to build the house, the site is being gifted. Bear in mind the majority of the labour is free so my question is, is it achievable for the materials to be covered in my budget?? Thanks a mill.

get a qs OR your partner to do a bill of quantities, then you can price the materials (and labour separately as required). I would also recommend you get a good set of construction drawings, schedules, details and mechanical and electrical layouts done, Especially as you intend using free labour. Free labour means its hard to criticise people if work is done incorrectly or half ass'd (not suggesting this will happen but), a good set of drawings keeps things straight forward and helps to raise the major issues long before you start on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

just to remind people. there is no such thing as free labour. in some way its going to cost.
    not to put a downer on anybody who is going to build to build a house completly on their own. it wont happen. the mere no. of man hours involved mean any tradesman would have to pack in his own job for years just to get it built. progress is ten times slower for a no. of reasons but the main two being: 1 any given trade taken from their own comfort zone will spend ages just adapting to other aspects of the build. 2. motivation; try getting up for the second month of seven day weeks just to go down to a job on your own where you will spend the whole day listening to the radio where other people are having normal working lives.
    tried it and starting another one, this time i,m under no illusion as to what i'll be doing.
    There can be a false economy to doing work yourself too. there are often situations whereby someone who could for instance be earning 120 (just for arguments sake) and instead doing the work of a trade which may have only cost you 100

just to remind people. there is no such thing as free labour. in some way its going to cost.
    not to put a downer on anybody who is going to build to build a house completly on their own. it wont happen. the mere no. of man hours involved mean any tradesman would have to pack in his own job for years just to get it built. progress is ten times slower for a no. of reasons but the main two being: 1 any given trade taken from their own comfort zone will spend ages just adapting to other aspects of the build. 2. motivation; try getting up for the second month of seven day weeks just to go down to a job on your own where you will spend the whole day listening to the radio where other people are having normal working lives.
    tried it and starting another one, this time i,m under no illusion as to what i'll be doing.
    There can be a false economy to doing work yourself too. there are often situations whereby someone who could for instance be earning 120 (just for arguments sake) and instead doing the work of a trade which may have only cost you 100

Thanks for your input but I know plenty of people have done it! I know it is going to be a long hard process but everyone is willing to chip in wherever possible, and we know that some days we might require extra paid help but in theory he will be doing all the block laying himself, all the roofing, insulating, plastering, inside work, carpentry etc. So hopefully it can be done, I'll be there to be the gofer wherever possible ha! He only has one day here and there work at the mo so more than likely he will be there alot of the time, also the site is right beside where we are currently living so that might be an incentive for him also?

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »

get a qs OR your partner to do a bill of quantities, then you can price the materials (and labour separately as required). I would also recommend you get a good set of construction drawings, schedules, details and mechanical and electrical layouts done, Especially as you intend using free labour. Free labour means its hard to criticise people if work is done incorrectly or half ass'd (not suggesting this will happen but), a good set of drawings keeps things straight forward and helps to raise the major issues long before you start on site.

Hi, thanks for your response. We have employed an architect throughout so I presume he is meant to provide all those drawings for us?? If he is then I can put the pressure on to get them as he is bit reluctant at times. My partner said he knows what he needs to do and what he needs but couldn't possibly list every essential! Could you recommend any cheap online QS cos think I need that to get the mortgage anyway. That aside, do you think it is possible on our budget from past experience?

Advertisement