Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build cost 2010 ??

Options
  • 16-02-2010 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hello

I was thinking about buying a site with full planning permission for three bedroom detached house c. 1,000 sq. ft North Dublin and I was looking for a rough estimate of the job from start to finish all expenses (material, labors and vat ect) included. I undertand their are many aspects of this build to be tailored into the full price but a simple rough quote could give me an idea if its worth it or not. Keep in mind I dont want to spend to much money as I am only 23 and not bothered with anything to fancy.

Any guess would be apprecated!,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

Allow € 90 per square foot for builder finish, or allow € 150 per sq ft for descent finish or € 200 per sq ft for top notch. p.s. i am in Kilkenny and these are the prices down here, but up in the big smoke prices might be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

as we near the end of our build i can categorically state that the cost of €150 per sq ft to acheive tiled/painted finished house with kitchen fitted is bang on the button. this would include all professional fees, council charges, esb charges, geothermal heathing with underfloor heating, top quality windows, air tightness membrane, soild wood kitchen - fairly high spec.

that is going the fixed price contractor route.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mossie27

Are these prices for real?

Yes they are. You'd be suprised how much money you have to spend that doesn't relate to actual building costs. In saying that we are on our way to having a well built home with the best of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

My self build which is 2000 square ft cost roughly €100 per square foot fully finished. This also includes a 500 sq ft garage and a 500m stone finished roadway ( costing almost €20k).

The house is well finished with solid oak kitchen, granite worktops, Porcelain tiles in kitchen, front hall and all bathrooms, solid oak in living room and all upstairs finished with solid ash. Stairs is solid oak, all doors and skirting are oak and 3 out of the 4 bedrooms are fully furnished with oak furniture. Bathrooms are finished with a Jacuzzi bath in one and a Steam Shower Cabin in the other.

Its fully painted inside.

Log Gasifying Boiler for heating backed up by a Stanley Solid Fuel Range in Kitchen and Stove in Sitting Room.

Price includes ESB, Engineer, Council and Solicitor Fees.

No Landscaping done yet. Its in the 10 year plan.

The house is completely furnished apart from 1 bedroom. There were unbelievavle price reductions over the last 12 months and cash is still king for a lot of people.

• Advertisement

You've done well there reilig! Fair play. Our heating and windows alone were nearly 30 euro per sq ft! Was that with a contractor or direct labour? What part of the country? We're 15minutes from the m50 too. Our garage is almost 300 sq ft. I never include it my cost per sq ft calculations though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Reilig;

What Log Gasifying Boiler did you use and how has it perfomed for you

Did you locate it in the garage?

What size tank did you use?

Lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Its really up to good budgetting and planning. I am building in mayo along with a friend close by.
    I am building to 2008 regulations as required (some to 2010). Building an airtight house with timberframe and tripple glazed windows with hrv and garage. I am currently running at builders finish at 78 euro/sq ft direct labour and 115 euro finished (hopefully). This excludes external landscaping.
    One note, building to current regulations will add 5 to 15 percent extra to your build. I.E. Renewables, insulation, airtightness, BER testing etc,professional fees (very important to get a good engineer). The larger th house the more renewbles needed under current deap software.

My friend is building a conventional build and not worrying/bothering with renewables, BER, etc and all direct labour. He has managed to get this house and garage sealed to the elements ( foundations, blocked roofed garage built, windows and doors ,guttering ,stonework and plastering,awaiting internal doors and floors electrics,plumbing and doors) for 40 euro/ sq Ft. I Kid you not.

You've done well there reilig! Fair play. Our heating and windows alone were nearly 30 euro per sq ft! Was that with a contractor or direct labour? What part of the country? We're 15minutes from the m50 too. Our garage is almost 300 sq ft. I never include it my cost per sq ft calculations though.

I'm in County Leitrim, so there would be a major difference in our labour prices. Everything was done through direct labour and I paid anyone that would take it, cash. I have included my garage. Its 500 square ft on the first floor. I have the attic converted too with 2 velux windows, cavity wall insulation and rafter lock and a Fakro folding stairs for access. My gasifying boiler has enough heat to keep it warm.

Reilig;

What Log Gasifying Boiler did you use and how has it perfomed for you

Did you locate it in the garage?

What size tank did you use?

Lightning

Atmos DC 25s with Laddomat and 1500l Galmet buffer tank. Its located in the garage. Performing very well so far - great heat from it. Burns timber and turf with ease. Very happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Reilig
    Did you consider ETA, Froeling, Kob & Schafer, Therminator 11 combi boiler or did you just rule these out on the basis of cost?

Did you base your decison to go for a logwood on the basis that you may have your own forestry plantation and consequently you dont have to purchase timber.

If you had access to free timber would you go for a logwood/pellet combination boiler?

Thanks

Lightning

Reilig
    Did you consider ETA, Froeling, Kob & Schafer, Therminator 11 combi boiler or did you just rule these out on the basis of cost?

Did you base your decison to go for a logwood on the basis that you may have your own forestry plantation and consequently you dont have to purchase timber.

If you had access to free timber would you go for a logwood/pellet combination boiler?

Thanks

Lightning

I considered all other makes and got quotes ranging from 11000 euro to 17000 euro. My atmos was bought from a Northern Irish supplier www.mlarge.co.uk , the buffer tank, pumps and fittings came from poland www.kotly.com and I had it fully installed by my own plumber. The total was just under 6000 euro.

I have a reasonable supply of timber on the land, but I also intend to buy some timber in the coming years. I would never consider a pellet boiler. I know a few people with them. One person has never had their boiler work properly since day 1. All others have had problems at one time or another with poor pellet quality or pellets getting damp - all of which caused clogging in the auger. I know nobody with a pellet boiler who has had no problems with it. I recon a load of timber from coillte would last me 3 years. I have a chainsaw, log splitter and saw horse. I can buy a load for 1000 euro delivered. So under 300 euro per year would keep my house heated.

Burning wood is a lifestyle too, one that I'm starting to get used to. I'm doing my little bit for the environment too. Its a nice gadget to show friends too when they call around to the new house. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 colin_mcleod

My house is already built, but I am considering a two story extension that does not involve any of the more expensive items like kitchens, boilers, plumbing etc. With approximately 200 sq ft on each floor plus roof, which of the range of figures quoted above would be relevant.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

My friend is building a conventional build and not worrying/bothering with renewables, BER, etc and all direct labour. He has managed to get this house and garage sealed to the elements ( foundations, blocked roofed garage built, windows and doors ,guttering ,stonework and plastering,awaiting internal doors and floors electrics,plumbing and doors) for 40 euro/ sq Ft. I Kid you not.

I assume he is doing much of the work himself or calling in favours am I right in saying homewardbound11?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

when calculating the sq ft are people taking the external dimensions?
    assuming external dims, i am looking at €120.00 / sqft for a fairly high end finish in south dublin, 2.5 story.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,832 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats a damn good price for Dublin - a little off though as you should really use the internal area when calculating the number of sq. feet/metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

muffler wrote: »
    Thats a damn good price for Dublin - a little off though as you should really use the internal area when calculating the number of sq. feet/metres.

cheers muffler, then im coming in at about €133.00 / sqft.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,832 ✭✭✭✭muffler

rodred wrote: »
    cheers muffler, then im coming in at about €133.00 / sqft.
    Thanks. Still a good price for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

I am currently coming in at €116 per square foot for a 3000 sq foot house + Garage + Boiler House.

I'm in Westmeath
    This includes 65k worth of repairs to shoddy workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

wow, I'm surprised by the costs I'm seeing here.

My house is 3200 sq ft, no garage, but costs are coming in around 60/sq ft for builders finish, and id say 80/sq ft for almost finished (builders + kitchen, flooring, oak stairs + doors, etc)

I'd say the quality is fairly high too - well insulated (well above regs), air tight, under floor heating, solar (60 tubes), etc. there was a lot of shopping around, and looking for different trademen, but thank god all went to plan (so far). I've seen a 2x difference in prices for practically everything in the house - so shop around!

the only hiccup was the underfloor heating may need to be re-done due to extremely cold weather over christmas and the heating was not on. Still waiting to see if the insuance will cover this repair or not.

the costs above dont include landscaping, but does include the other groundworks, and all fees etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Hi Johndamann66.

Yes and no. He is doing the plasering himself. He does have a few contacts but these are only a few locals (electricians etc)and some are cash deals (My assumption) but by and large almost every time i got a quote , he did better. I would have to say local knowledge is helping him. I am doing this build from 130 miles away and am finding it difficult to get the knowledge of who is good and who is not busy.
    I have saved a few bob just by listening to locals.
    Even he is surpirised how much he is saving. He originally was quoted a very good price for 190k for a 3100 sq ft house. But it looks like it is coming in well below this.

I assume he is doing much of the work himself or calling in favours am I right in saying homewardbound11?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

tails_naf wrote: »
    wow, I'm surprised by the costs I'm seeing here.

My house is 3200 sq ft, no garage, but costs are coming in around 60/sq ft for builders finish, and id say 80/sq ft for almost finished (builders + kitchen, flooring, oak stairs + doors, etc)

I'd say the quality is fairly high too - well insulated (well above regs), air tight, under floor heating, solar (60 tubes), etc. there was a lot of shopping around, and looking for different trademen, but thank god all went to plan (so far). I've seen a 2x difference in prices for practically everything in the house - so shop around!

the only hiccup was the underfloor heating may need to be re-done due to extremely cold weather over christmas and the heating was not on. Still waiting to see if the insuance will cover this repair or not.

the costs above dont include landscaping, but does include the other groundworks, and all fees etc.

Is that direct labour or do you you have a main contractor? That seems great value even in todays building climate. If you are using a contractor can you PM me the details? I'm in the market for a contractor in Cork myself at the moment.

Thanks.

It's direct labour - I make out I'm saving at least 50k-60k vs going with a contractor (based on the best quotes I got from contractors). direct labour is not that bad - but requires a lot of research and shopping around. Had to increase the minutes on my mobile due to all the calls I was making!
    House is not finished, but bar any disasters I'd say I'll come in under the 85/sq ft mark when all is done and dusted. I'll post when I'm actually finished and moved in, for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dromardabu

Tail Naf
    Where are you building this house? I am embarking on building a 3000 sq ft house in north dublin by direct labour in the next 4 months (baring planning hickups) and i'd be greatful for any references you have .

Good luck with the last stage of your build

Dromardabu

Hi Dromardabu,
    I'm building in tipperary, near cahir.
    Not sure if any contacts I have would help you...sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 new boy

Hi tails naf. Did u go wit builder or self build? would be interested as building same sq ft house and being quoted 90 euro for builder finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lilylarkin

are these prices per sq ft inclusive or exclusive of vat?

Also please define builders finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

These costs include VAT

http://www.scs.ie/2010-SCS-House-Rebuilding-Insurance-Guide.pdf

http://www.scs.ie/publications/press_releases/press_release_files_10/06-04-10-HouseRebuildingInsurance.pdf

Unless you have prepared detailed drawings and specs "builders finish" can be "defined" by arguments later during the build . But put simply it often means

no decoration
    no kitchen fittings
    no floor wall / floor finishes
    no sanitary fittings - or perhaps , the fittings the builder selects not you
    no fireplace
    no light fittings , other than extremely basic
    wiring only to alarm system

all prices i mentioned in my previous post are vat inclusive. professional fees/services are charged at 21%. building supplies and labour are charged at 13.5% when you ask for a supply and fit quote.

builders finish is open to so many interpretations. in my opinion it is the cost of construction of a house and the only thing you will see on top of the plastered walls is plastic sockets/switches and red deal skirting including pvc windows, heating and plumbing. a long way from liveable!

my two cents anyway.....

• Advertisement

you beat me to it sinnerboy!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement