Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol price controls

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

This country has so many fking spoil sports I cannot possibly glass them all.. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

whiteonion wrote: »
    Yes, pubs can keep their current prices for all I care. It's just that I think its to cheap to get a six pack of beer for €6.

The cheaper something is the more of it people are likely to consume. When the prices goes up, people will have to cut down on the consumption.

Alcohol should be much more strongly regulated in this country. I suggest also increasing the drinking age to 21.

there is so much wrong with your logic

1. raising the alcohol to 21 (a la America) will only lead to a lot more illegal drinking, which you seem to have a problem with. Put it this way, I'm 19, if the law was changed, I wouldn't stop drinking. I'd change the way I obtain drink. It would make no difference to 15 year olds.

actually you know what, your obviously a troll, i'm not gonna bother, in a nutshell, your wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Sorry OP, but you put a link up, just in case someone thought it was your idea.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0124/breaking49.html
    Off course this is not my idea as such but I think it's a good idea and one that we should promote in Ireland. This country should try to change the image of Irish people being drunken fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

whiteonion

People will drink no matter what. If the state taxes it excessively, people will then learn how to make it themselves. Taxes, regulation and legislation are already quite excessive in Ireland on almost every angle of life. You look to this Government to solve problems? They could'nt solve banks, property, or much else, and now you look for them to solve an alcohol problem.

You may as well put Dr Harold Shipman in charge of the Ministry of Health, and make Jean Claude Duvalier the Finance Minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Off course this is not my idea as such but I think it's a good idea and one that we should promote in Ireland. This country should try to change the image of Irish people being drunken fools.

Change is one the way, Brian Cowen is on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

But you're sober now I take it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

RichieC wrote: »
    But you're sober now I take it? :confused:
    Yes I'm sober, and I do not consume excessive amounts of alcohol. I don't see the point in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Yes I'm sober, and I do not consume excessive amounts of alcohol. I don't see the point in that.

So do you drink alcohol at all?
    Mammys sherry trifle doesn't count btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Wait......you do not consume excessive amounts of alcohol? But it's so cheap. But you are saying even though you think it's cheap you don't drink a lot of it?? So the price of it doesn't effect how much you drink of it?

No...now I'm confused. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I don't notice too many drunk teenagers these days,when I was a teen everybody was on the lash and the entire week was based on getting money together to get hammered at the weekend.Seems to be less of it about these days despite what the media are telling us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

You'll have to pry my whiskey out of my cold, dead and somewhat malty fist!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I suspect you're trolling but I'm not going to let you away with it.
    Yes, pubs can keep their current prices for all I care. It's just that I think its to cheap to get a six pack of beer for €6.

This is not what you said in your previous post. You said all alcohol prices should double. So which is it? It is cheap yes, but it is also the cost in many other European states.
    The cheaper something is the more of it people are likely to consume. When the prices goes up, people will have to cut down on the consumption.
    This is false economics. The cost of alcohol in France for example was far higher relatively speaking to cost of living in the 1950's than in the present day. However alcohol consumption in France has fallen. This puts a hole in your theory.
    Alcohol should be much more strongly regulated in this country. I suggest also increasing the drinking age to 21.

Regulated in what manner? Give specific examples.

Raising the drinking age to 21 is a non runner. If you're legally considered an adult at 18 you should enjoy all the rights and responsibilites that entrails including alcohol consumption. I presume the 20 year olds amongst us who study and hold down jobs aren't considered fit to drink in your high and mighty eyes?
    Poor people can do something else instead of drinking booze and destroying their physical and mental health.

Sorry I forgot you're playing the role of the moral police and know better. As I previously said, if people wish to destroy their physical health that is their choice and not that of the government. If you consume alcohol or any intoxicant you must handle the possible dangers it entails. It's called personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

Damn right,i used to be addicted to penny sweets,then they doubled the price...Havent touched one in years i tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

It seems that the OP doesn't like drinking and probably feels left out in his circle of friends that drink more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

wouldn't it be great if all alcohol was banned from this country! id say that would piss a few people off by saying that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

fonejacker wrote: »
    wouldn't it be great if all alcohol was banned from this country! id say that would piss a few people off by saying that.:D

:D Ya and implement sharia law aswell :D deadly :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Eriu79

I was in a bar in chicago that had $2 Guinness, great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

OP is jealous those drunk kids get to drink with there friends while he twitches the curtain on his own. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

ha ha very funny:D, alcohol is a very serious problem in this country you no costing probably billions of tax payers money (then again whats a few billions euro these days:rolleyes:) through crime/antisocial behavior and idiots ending up in a&e. (maybe i like twitching the curtain on my own:D)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tesco and other supermarkets regularly do a six pack of Tuborg for a fiver.
    Adli do a 12 pack of no brand for €8 = €4 for a six pack. So alcohol is actually cheaper than you think. It's cheaper buying a litre of milk at a newsagent. And it's a source of B vitamins :)

So what would happen if you went about about increasing the price by 500% so that €4 only gets you one pint ?

If you think that would reduce binge drinking or reduce the workload in A&E then you are living in a fantasy world because that's the price people already pay in Pubs.

Increasing the price on alcohol just means the revenue get more money, a subsidy to the LVA, some of the poor divert money from basics to alcohol.

We already have enough laws, we just need enforcement. Offies that sell to underage drinkers, people who buy alcohol for kids that sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Fibbers 2.50 a drink YES PLEASE!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

You sound suspiciously like a Vintner's Association troll. Cheap alcohol does not cause any of those problems, stupid people will do stupid things. Until we grow up as a nation and mature to escape this infantile pastime it cannot be solved by the government helping the publicans make even more money.

Look at France and other EU countries where alchol is both cheap and plentiful in social situations, where the problem is almost non-existant by comparison. Your suggestion benefits only the greedy publicans.

Eh, a pint is €9 in Paris...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bleg wrote: »
    Eh, a pint is €9 in Paris...

More places in France than just Paris.;)

Have a look in the bargain alerts forum,the vast majority of thanked posts there relate to offers of cheap booze-I got Budweiser yesterday for €1 a can thanks to that forum. (waits for beer snobs to reply...)

These days I actually see less binge drinking compared to the Celtic Tiger years when everyone had more disposable income and spent the weekends waving €50 notes at barmen when trying to buy gallons of shots and vodka/red bulls at ridiculous prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

inb4 'banned for being a re-reg of whiteonion'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

No.

Raising prices on off sales will punish the prudent and the poor profusely.

Advertisement