Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Vodafone Broadband Usage Cap Charges

Options
  • 10-02-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

As of this month, Vodafone are enforcing limit caps on all usage. Here is a screenshot of my latest bill -

vodafone-charges1.jpg

This sucks for many reasons. I was a BT customer who had 8 megs with unlimited downloads. I was switched to Vodafone without any input from me. I know BT moved out of the country, but it still was a bit of a kick in the teeth.

I was told my package would be the same, except I would actually pay less. This was true for a few months, then I was sent a letter saying they were switching me to another package and my bill rose back to about where it was before, and a new limit cap was imposed of 300gb download a month.

Then a few months later it dropped to 120 gb download limit. As of this month, it is no longer a 120 gigabyte download limit, it is now 120 gb for upload and download combined.

They slowly have eroded my limits, raised my bill, and now have slapped new fees on top of it all.

I just went to Eircom and filled out the forms to transfer over to them.

Their 8 meg package is almost the same price, but with the unlimited downloads it makes it much cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

No company can offer you real "unlimited" bandwidth and it is quite common for upload and download to be included for total usage.which sucks but thats the way it is.

Always check the Terms and conditions my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Did you not read the whole post you just responded to? In the past six months they have changed the limits in the T & C three times.

Your "read the T & C's" response illustrates the fact you didn't even bother to read the original post.

Furthermore the new NGB packages offered from Eircom are actually limit free, something which is even stated in the T&C's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

subject to a 250GB fair usage policy it says

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

[QUOTE=CptSternn;70588414

Furthermore the new NGB packages offered from Eircom are actually limit free, something which is even stated in the T&C's.[/QUOTE]

No it's not, it is subject to 3 different tiers of fair usage policy.
    Don't believe the unlimited marketing spiel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

CptSternn wrote: »
    Your "read the T & C's" response illustrates the fact you didn't even bother to read the original post.

Furthermore the new NGB packages offered from Eircom are actually limit free, something which is even stated in the T&C's.

In Fact, Yes I do read the T n C's to find out what the usage is if it's not stated in the package details.
    Every company has Usage. Its fact. Also I did "Bother" to read the post, Hence, why I replied.

NGB is not limitless. another poster can confirm that. Plus Vodafone have to rent equipment from Eircom's NGB service..Vodafone gets charged for usage on their equipment so in turn, the customer would. Makes sense doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 HDfan

eircom Next Generation Broadband

Usage Allowance ( in time :) )

37851499.th.png

limit downloads 250 GB

78471667.th.png

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Does anyone know what action eircom takes if you go over their fair usage cap?

@HDFan -

Cheers for that! A 250 gig limit is sure better than 120 - thats over double for about the same price and speed.

@HellboundIRL -

I did a search of the forums here and to date no one has reported being charged for going over. I have a mate who recently switched and he has been going over the limit for three months now without any repercussions, but then again, Vodafone was the same for the past two years until they started charging people this month.

If I could get two years with no charges from Eircom I would be happy. By then UPC or some other alternative will roll into town and I can switch to them.

Also hopefully in two years ISP's will raise their limits to something more appropriate for todays plugged in society.

Then again, that's a tall order for Ireland.

I rang customer service again today to give out about something else I just noticed - the Vodafone online usage tracker.

Customers can access it here:

https://broadband.vodafone.ie/myaccount/session/login

Here is the thing - it's not updated in real time! It updates every few days - two or three yer one said. I was told if it gets down to the end of the month and I think I may be using it too much, to log off.

I am being told to log off of a service I pay for because I might be getting near a limit, but no one can tell me for three days if that is going to happen. The billing system is precise, but apparently the tracking system isn't. They should be the same. I should be able to log on and see my usage, not have to wait three days and try and juggle three days of upload/download ratio in my head.

It's a rigged system as your usage could easily jump in a day or two and you could go over your limit three days before you know it.

Someone asked in the Vodafone thread if they plan on giving back money to customers who never go near 10% of their allowance, or are they advised that there are lower tariff plans they could switch to. No response as of yet, and I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

CptSternn wrote: »
    I did a search of the forums here and to date no one has reported being charged for going over. I have a mate who recently switched and he has been going over the limit for three months now without any repercussions, but then again, Vodafone was the sa
    They are already charging today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement