Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suede to play three dates in the Olympia.

Options
  • 16-02-2011 8:07pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Posted from Phantom Fm.

http://www.phantomfm.com/djs-show/phantom-drivewith-claire-beck/6653-suede-to-perform-classic-albums-at-the-olympia.html

Tuesday 24th May--performing their self titled Mercury award winning debut
    Wednesday 25th--performing Dog Man Star
    Thursday 26th--performing Coming Up

Cant wait for this.Been a huge Suede fan since I was a teenager.
    And seen them live every time theyve played over here.
    Wont be able to afford all 3 nights though so what you reckon--which one will be the best night..Im leaning towards Dogman Star myself as its still a regular on my mp3 playlist....Decisions,decisions!!

What would your favourite Suede album be to hear live.

Decisions,Decisions--What would your ideal Suede album be to hear live. 29 votes

Self Titled--Suede
    0%
    Dogman Star
    34%
    Miguel_SanchezViper_JBadrian522yknaaludwitDibblebonjoyleCrackity Jonesfulham919sumtings 10 votes
    Coming up.
    65%
    HellrazerloyatemuTomohawkPigheadbeeceeRyallerindiewindySonnenblumenZambonidx22mcwhirteriomegaThundercats HochordtypedeeksAnnyHallsalVan OccupantherTable Top JoeTheVisitors 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Dogman Star
    I think first album would be the one for me.

Also: Moved to Gigs & Events

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Coming up.
    Also: Moved to Gigs & Events

Never thought of putting the thread in here :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Coming up.
    Loved seeing your post until I saw the dates they were on, sickened I wont be able to get to see them play dog man star live:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Generation Terrorist

How much are tickets? Gonna try get to them all, although if I could do without one of the nights, it would be DogManStar, as when I saw them in The Ambassador in 2003, they played 6 or 7 from that one

Manics in the Olympia that week too, gonna be MENTAL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Coming up.
    1. Dogmanstar
    2. Suede
    3. Coming Up

Trying to justify the expenditure is a problem.
    Might do the Tuesday but definately the Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Coming up.
    How much are tickets?

€44.20 - €54.80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Generation Terrorist

**** IT, Why not....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Coming up.
    Was so happy when I heard this yesterday. My favourite band of all time without a doubt. Dog Man Star is definitely the one I'm looking forward to most. Every single song (bar black and blue) an absolute classic. The only possible way they could have made this album any better in my opinion is if they had put in Killing of a Flash Boy instead of Black and Blue.

Really hope they play a few of the Dog Man Star/Stay Together B-Sides as well actually. Really looking forward to this. Getting goosebumps just thinking of the ten plus minutes where they'll be playing Asphalt World followed by Still Life. Thought they may have been playing the festivals this year and was all set to go but this will be so much better.

My order of preference for the gigs would probably be the same as the majority of Suede fans: Dog Man Star--Suede--Coming Up, but all three nights will be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Fourth night added: Sci-Fi Lullabies! :D

(Not really, regrettably)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=6971351&ar=suede

should be great - will get tickets for thursday 26th Coming Up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Coming up.
    Gonna be expensive and also during college final year exams but I'll probably go for Dog Man Star and Suede and skip the third night.

They'll likely play the hits of Coming Up anyway on both nights so I don't feel like paying 50 quid to hear Lazy.

Coming up.
    chordtype wrote: »
    Gonna be expensive and also during college final year exams but I'll probably go for Dog Man Star and Suede and skip the third night.

They'll likely play the hits of Coming Up anyway on both nights so I don't feel like paying 50 quid to hear Lazy.
    You're in for disappointment if you expect them to play the Coming Up hits during the Suede and Dog Man Star evenings. Not gonna happen. If they play any extra non album songs over the first two nights they'll be B-sides from the album in questions time.

Coming up.
    Pighead wrote: »
    You're in for disappointment if you expect them to play the Coming Up hits during the Suede and Dog Man Star evenings. Not gonna happen. If they play any extra non album songs over the first two nights they'll be B-sides from the album in questions time.

Even better then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

Disagree Pighead, I'm certain it will be an album in full and a 10 or 15 song greatest hits set covering their entire career

Dogman Star
    Disagree Pighead, I'm certain it will be an album in full and a 10 or 15 song greatest hits set covering their entire career

What makes you so certain?

Coming up.
    If you look at the setlist from the ICA album shows way back in 2003 it appears they played the full album first and then a 9 or 10 song encore that was a mixture of b sides and singles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

What makes you so certain?

First Irish gigs in 8 years, we'll be paying through the arse for the privilege too, so I can't see them bogging down the 2nd half of their set with b-sides and obscurites at the expensive of the bigger singles

Coming up.
    First Irish gigs in 8 years, we'll be paying through the arse for the privilege too, so I can't see them bogging down the 2nd half of their set with b-sides and obscurites at the expensive of the bigger singles
    Playing their B-Sides would hardly be bogging down the set in fairness. Suede are renowned for producing fantastic B-Sides and any Suede fan i know would be more than delighted to hear the likes of Killing of a Flash Boy, Europe is Our Playground or Whipsnade during the Dog Man Star Gig. If I want to hear the hits of Coming Up I'll go to the Coming Up gig on the Thursday evening.

Dogman Star

I doubt it. I'd say they'll follow a model similar to the Pixies when they toured Doolittle in 2009.

Coming up.
    I'd take the B sides from the first two albums over Coming Up any day.

• Advertisement

Coming up.
    Got tickets for Wednesday. Sweet.
    If I get cash I may get Tuesday tickets too.
    Defo won't miss Thursday. The only tracks I really like from Coming Up are Chemisty Between Us and Saturday Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Going on Thursday although it was a tough call - 3 great albums.

Does anyone remember seeing them in the Olympia years ago and it was filmed for MTV Live at the time - an amazing gig from what I saw would loved to have been there?!

Coming up.
    Does anyone remember seeing them in the Olympia years ago and it was filmed for MTV Live at the time - an amazing gig from what I saw would loved to have been there?!

I vaguely remember being at a Suede gig around 10 years ago in the Olympia but young, stupid and drunk so don't remember dates.
    I do remember the drummer taking a stroll around the back bar and chatting with everyone, signing stuff and drinking pints.
    Now that I think about it, I think I may have my ticket signed by him. Will have to check when I go home now.

Coming up.
    That Suede gig recorded for MTV was at the Tivoli.

Coming up.
    Going on Thursday although it was a tough call - 3 great albums.

Pretty sure that was in the Tivoli not the Olympia. I won tickets for it on the Dave Fanning show! But yeah it was a cracking gig.

Coming up.
    Got tickets for Suede and Dog Man Star. It's during my exams so I can't really justify going to Coming Up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Pighead wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was in the Tivoli not the Olympia. I won tickets for it on the Dave Fanning show! But yeah it was a cracking gig.

Could have sworn it was the Olympia! Ah well it sounded amazing! Think it was around 1997/98?

Coming up.
    Could have sworn it was the Olympia! Ah well it sounded amazing! Think it was around 1997/98?
    It was 96. few vids up on youtube of it. Here's the monster that is Killing of a Flash Boy. Picture and sound not great unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Seen them in The Tivoli in 1996, Live for MTV's Live & Direct, then have seen em twice since, SFX in 97 i think? and also Dublin 2003 Ambassador, Now I would LOVE to head along to all 3 nights, and will be at least 2, BUT have my tickets for the 'Coming Up' Night as it's just a treasured favorite of mine, I ADORE that album & The Memories associated with it & when it was released etc, So that's why That night was a Must BUT Suede & Dogman star, Gonna have to choose between them or hopefully go to BOTH :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Coming up.
    Luke G wrote: »
    SFX in 97 i think?

The SFX was '95, touring Dog Man Star (part of Richard Oakes first dates with the band).

Advertisement