Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Next Generation Broadband Router Setup

Options
  • 08-03-2011 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Hi. I recently switched to the Eircom Next Generation Broadband service and am currently trying to tweak my router. I have most of the settings done properly, buy there are a few advanced settings I have yet to find any information on, and was hoping someone here might be able to share with me.

I found this link on the Eircom support site:

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=49&E=0000000000282014957&K=5990&Sxi=5&Problem=obj%286372%29&DCSext.clickedFrom=bb;home;topqueries

So these settings I know are correct -

Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

The question I have is about ADSL Modulation and ATM settings.

I searched here on Boards, the Eircom support site, and on Google and have found conflicting results.

First off the ATM settings. Normally that is set to UBR. On the new next generation broadband which is ADSL2+ is this not usually set to CBR? If so what is the PCR / SCR settings for this? Also what about CDVT and MBS?

Then there is the ADSL modulation.

Many of the documents state Eircom uses g.Dmt, but that is for ADSL not ADSL2. I have tried a few different combinations on the router and right now only ADSL2+ is reporting as being on the line. The rest including g.Dmt seem to be disabled - is there any other modulations I need to turn on for this line? I ask because many of the ATM loopback tests are failing as they do on many ISPs as they disable these results and I was curious as to if they had disabled other reporting which might effect what modulations are appearing in my results. Since this is an ADSL2+ line does Eircom support AnnexM?

I can connect ok without all of the advanced options in place, but as I said first I am trying to properly tweak it here to be sure to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

If you are on the up to 8Mb package it will still be g.dmt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

lynchie wrote: »
    If you are on the up to 8Mb package it will still be g.dmt

I am on the up to 24 meg package, but currently it is coming in at 16 megs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Eircom do a 12/2 package which can only be supported using annex M or J. Though I think J can only be put on a line with no phone connection, so their 12/2 package should be using annex M

Advertisement