Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Was routing through the filing cabinet earlier on today and found an old pen drive that I had forgotten about. Only got a chance to look at what was on it a while ago. Came across these pics from May 2008.
    These two were the last of the line from a weanling heifer that I bought with the money I got for my 21st birthday. Unfortunately neither of them went in calf despite several attempts with AI. They headed to the factory in June 2008.
    Pic one is of a third calver
    pic two is of a first calver.
    Can any of ye stock people guess what weights they killed out at or graded?
    I know the pics are not the best.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/686347/291807.JPG
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/686347/291808.JPG

Feck - I though I had figured out how to make the picture be seen in the post but apparently no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Base price wrote: »
    Feck - I though I had figured out how to make the picture be seen in the post but apparently no

Those pics came out fine. They're R+ cows and killed out at 380kgs, made about 1320 euros?

tanko wrote: »
    Those pics came out fine. They're R+ cows and killed out at 380kgs, made about 1320 euros?
    They did a bit better than that.
    The cow pic 1, killed out at 668 kgs (U+3+) and the first calver pic 2 killed out at 562 kgs (U-3).
    Cow came into €2244 and the other one €1886 at 3.36 a kg. Wish I had a few more of the around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Attachment not found.
    River getting full... Field has a cover of 800 on it. Not good

I've a few sheep green that would sort that problem out for u.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Three heifers i hope to AI in The coming 4-7 weeks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

sea12 wrote: »
    I've a few sheep green that would sort that problem out for u.

And you wouldn't charge him much for the lend of them either ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

She's up.

The cow pic 1, killed out at 668 kgs (U+3+) and the first calver pic 2 killed out at 562 kgs (U-3).
    Cow came into €2244 and the other one €1886 at 3.36 a kg. Wish I had a few more of the around the place.

Jaysus, I really misjudged the size of them cows :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

She's up.
    is she putting weight on all legs, amazing the time you use up on a cow like that

• Advertisement

Jaysus, I really misjudged the size of them cows :eek:.
    In fairness the pictures were not great. They had serious length and it all adds up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

In fairness the pictures were not great. They had serious length and it all adds up.

I didn't want to guess cos I know it's a minefield trying to judge anything off a pic, and also there are times I'd tell lads what some of our cows would kill out as and I'd get the impression they thing I'm bull****ting them. :rolleyes:
    What live weight would you have called them two cows?

I didn't want to guess cos I know it's a minefield trying to judge anything off a pic, and also there are times I'd tell lads what some of our cows would kill out as and I'd get the impression they thing I'm bull****ting them. :rolleyes:
    What live weight would you have called them two cows?
    OH reckons the cow was around the tonne mark. When he brought them to the factory he told the guys on the shoot not to run her through the crush gate at the front cause she was so big. He went into the office with paperwork and a few mins later one of the lads came running in looking for him.
    The lads had let her out through the crush gate and she got stuck :mad:. Big panic all around with Dept vet on hand etc. They had to get an angle grinder and cut the posts of the crush to get her out.
    Luckily no damage done to her. A pity in one way we didn't weigh her, would have been interesting to see what percentage she killed out at.

biddy2013 wrote: »
    is she putting weight on all legs, amazing the time you use up on a cow like that

Yep putting weight on her legs. Father is delighted

Don't suppose you have a pic of your CH bull.

r7d4.jpg

Here he is. By Alcazar AZA out of a Sylvain cow. Something around 2yo at that time.

r7d4.jpg

Here he is. By Alcazar AZA out of a Sylvain cow. Something around 2yo at that time.

Nice bull. Just wondering is all your land as flat as a table:D:D

Nice bull. Just wondering is all your land as flat as a table:D:D

Yep. The views don't be great, ya can only see as far as the next hedge:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Yep. The views don't be great, ya can only see as far as the next hedge:)
    I could live with that. You cant eat scenery. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

They were fine animals. Fair play, did you breed them yourself?

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    They were fine animals. Fair play, did you breed them yourself?
    Yes.

Yes.

Ya might as well go the whole hog and tell us the breeding?

Ya might as well go the whole hog and tell us the breeding?
    Oh sorry, never thought of that. PB Blondes.

That's what they looked like, any of the well known AI bulls in their breeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Do they have good temperament ? Guys here are pretty wary of Blondes.

sheebadog wrote: »
    Do they have good temperament ? Guys here are pretty wary of Blondes.
    Some were ok others were fairly sharp. Helps if you handle them as weanlings, although they were all inclined to be dodgy after calving for a few days but a lot of sucklers can be like that.

• Advertisement

That's what they looked like, any of the well known AI bulls in their breeding?
    Both were by an imported stock bull that I had here who was decended from a very famous french cow call Halante. The two of them were out of two full sisters by a bull called Arlequin from straws that I imported.

Both were by an imported stock bull that I had here who was decended from a very famous french cow call Halante. The two of them were out of two full sisters by a bull called Arlequin from straws that I imported.

Serious cattle. The Blondes cross very well with the Charolais.

Serious cattle. The Blondes cross very well with the Charolais.
    Only place I ever seen that done was in France. Some of the French CH breeders use BA on the heifers, better chance of getting a live calf.
    We never used much AI here as either the bulls were not up to the standard that I required, as in too small and short (UK style) or too closely related to my own stock.
    My favourite suckler cross was a BAxSH. Had a few of them here over the years and they were serious cows, plenty of milk, good mothers/temperament and a nice tight bag.
    If I was ever to go back into suckling again I would be aiming to source that cross if I could get my hands on some with decent beef shorthorn in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Only place I ever seen that done was in France. Some of the French CH breeders use BA on the heifers, better chance of getting a live calf.
    We never used much AI here as either the bulls were not up to the standard that I required, as in too small and short (UK style) or too closely related to my own stock.
    My favourite suckler cross was a BAxSH. Had a few of them here over the years and they were serious cows, plenty of milk, good mothers/temperament and a nice tight bag.
    If I was ever to go back into suckling again I would be aiming to source that cross if I could get my hands on some with decent beef shorthorn in them.

Now that is an interesting cross, one I would never have thought off, would bring some nice CH calves to the table,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

OH reckons the cow was around the tonne mark. When he brought them to the factory he told the guys on the shoot not to run her through the crush gate at the front cause she was so big. He went into the office with paperwork and a few mins later one of the lads came running in looking for him.
    The lads had let her out through the crush gate and she got stuck :mad:. Big panic all around with Dept vet on hand etc. They had to get an angle grinder and cut the posts of the crush to get her out.
    Luckily no damage done to her. A pity in one way we didn't weigh her, would have been interesting to see what percentage she killed out at.
    Must go back and look at the picutres now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Three heifers i hope to AI in The coming 4-7 weeks....
    Nice heifers there mandm, but am intrested in your shed as I see its not slatted, how does the straw bedding last and how often you clean it out? as I am planning a shed to winter weanlings/bullocks, fed up off them ploughing up the rough grazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Yup that would be a good cow alright, just hard to get

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Born this evening. Hdx heifer calf, small but healthy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

RobinBanks wrote: »

Healthy is the important part, best of luck with her robin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

RobinBanks wrote: »
    She doesn't seem that small. Nice shape as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Yep putting weight on her legs. Father is delighted

Do ye ever consider shackles on a such cows greengrass?, we use em the odd time here and find they're handy to prevent em doing the splits

Milked out wrote: »
    Do ye ever consider shackles on a such cows greengrass?, we use em the odd time here and find they're handy to prevent em doing the splits

Never used them. Concrete around milking parlour us very poor, like glass. There wasn't enough sand in the mix I'd say when it was put down so its very slippy. This lady won't go near the milkers for a week any way

Never used them. Concrete around milking parlour us very poor, like glass. There wasn't enough sand in the mix I'd say when it was put down so its very slippy. This lady won't go near the milkers for a week any way
    even a rope on them for a few days, let one like that with the cows a few months ago and a total b"tch came over headbutted her and knocked her down, plenty of fooks

even a rope on them for a few days, let one like that with the cows a few months ago and a total b"tch came over headbutted her and knocked her down, plenty of fooks

On her side again this morning. She sat down at 12 last night and she had been standing since 3 yesterday.
    I wonder would she be okay to keep on for another yr? She is nearly 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

td5man wrote: »
    Was quoted around 2k for sheeting for a 72'x35 shed recently.

Was that plus or including Vat ?

• Advertisement

On her side again this morning. She sat down at 12 last night and she had been standing since 3 yesterday.
    I wonder would she be okay to keep on for another yr? She is nearly 8
    do you put a small square bale of straw behind her shoulder to keep her propped up when shes sitting down?

do you put a small square bale of straw behind her shoulder to keep her propped up when shes sitting down?

Ye no use. She tries to get up and falls over. Won't stand today

Ye no use. She tries to get up and falls over. Won't stand today
    :(

:(

Tired I reckon. Used a lot of energy standing all day yesterday

Tired I reckon. Used a lot of energy standing all day yesterday
    Have you given her any electrolytes - always found that it can help after a difficult calving. I used to get it to them warm though.

Have you given her any electrolytes - always found that it can help after a difficult calving. I used to get it to them warm though.

Will try that. Ye would need to give a cow more though?

Will try that. Ye would need to give a cow more though?
    More in volume but not in strength. I used to offer them about 10 ltrs at a time and even if they only drank half it was better than nothing. Keep offering it to her but allow her fresh water after.
    Trick I found was to give it warm/tepid.

Greengrass1, how is she doing.
    I know the weather is ****e at the moment but if you could get her out onto a bit of dry pasture so she can get a grip with her hinds. I found over the years that cows felt more secure on grass and therefore more willing to stand up.

Greengrass1, how is she doing.
    I know the weather is ****e at the moment but if you could get her out onto a bit of dry pasture so she can get a grip with her hinds. I found over the years that cows felt more secure on grass and therefore more willing to stand up.

Wouldn't stand today. And she was getting on very week yesterday. Wanted to do that but father wouldn't aggre. She is attempting to get up but hasn't got the strength to. She us on s deep bed of straw too.
    Gave here warm water and glucose today

• Advertisement

Wouldn't stand today. And she was getting on very week yesterday. Wanted to do that but father wouldn't aggre. She is attempting to get up but hasn't got the strength to. She us on s deep bed of straw too.
    Gave here warm water and glucose today
    Best of luck with her.
    Years ago had a CHx heifer that went down due to a difficult calving. She went down in the crush while the vet sectioned the calf. The vet advised us to drag her out of the crush with the tractor (loop around her forelegs) and bring her to the field. Her back legs were paralysed and she could not stand. We put her in a rope sling hoisted from the front loader for a few hours every day and moved her to a new spot each day. Propped her up with bales, fed her meal sprinkled with glucose, hay and electrolytes and covered her with old horse rugs and a old carpet at night. She was down for 17 days but eventually made it through.
    If you have the time and are willing to stick with them then they will normally pull through, but it does take time, commitment and lots of patience.
    IMO it is better time spent than phoning for the dead lorry to come and paying them to take them away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement