Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

moy83 wrote: »
    Think will you have a few hard pulls or was it just that she was a springer . Hope he is lucky for ya

He's a fair horse of a calf even it was a cow that had him. He wasn't rated too bad on ICBF for calving but you never know for sure until a few hit the ground. The other springer calved no bother and had a handyish sized calf to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

He's a fair horse

He's a bear of a calf. Great to get him out and goin ahead. How many days did she carry him do ya know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

golodge wrote: »
    I've a hand held scales for sheep, so it fits for just borned calves.
    Looks like this:
    http://ykzhengya.en.alibaba.com/product/524160320-209565437/200kg_hand_held_weighing_scale.html
    When calf is lifted and can't touch the ground there is nothing calf can do.

What do you put the calf in to weigh?

He's a bear of a calf. Great to get him out and goin ahead. How many days did she carry him do ya know?

I haven't a notion, never bother writing down dates unless I'm ai'ing but I'd still have a fair idea of what's bulled and what's not. Anything no matter how good gets the road if not in calf any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cristeoir

I haven't a notion, never bother writing down dates unless I'm ai'ing but I'd still have a fair idea of what's bulled and what's not. Anything no matter how good gets the road if not in calf any more.

Hi GSD , I don't want to worry you or anything but a few years ago a neighbour of mine had a bull who got coccodosis and he became infertile, now it may have been the medicine he was treated with( medicil - which is now off the market afaik) or something completely unrelated but just for your own sake you should jot down when you see a cow in heat.
    Hopfully I am totally wrong and well done , that is a super calf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

cristeoir wrote: »
    Hi GSD , I don't want to worry you or anything but a few years ago a neighbour of mine had a bull who got coccodosis and he became infertile, now it may have been the medicine he was treated with( medicil - which is now off the market afaik) or something completely unrelated but just for your own sake you should jot down when you see a cow in heat.

A high temperature can kill all the semen in a ram and they can take six weeks to become fertile again....a bull is probably the same

cristeoir wrote: »

He won't have any work again until next June but I'll keep an eye on it. Would never have figured what was wrong with him if I hadn't rang the vet to take a faecal sample off him. Only ever seen it in calves before.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cristeoir

He won't have any work again until next June but I'll keep an eye on it. Would never have figured what was wrong with him if I hadn't rang the vet to take a faecal sample off him. Only ever seen it in calves before.

Yea I thought it was only calves that got it too until that, the poor fella had nine 18 month old cattle take it aswell at the same time .Vet put it down to contaminated water from the stream they were drinking from but it was some amount of work to cure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭golodge

LivInt20 wrote: »
    What do you put the calf in to weigh?
    I've a special S shape metal hoop. One its side is tied to the weighing scales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

I was like a **** this morning, went out at 7 o clock to put a bale into the shed. The bales are stored right beside the shed so we get away with using a 35 most of the year for feeding. There is one line of bales left beside a drain so I decided to chance spiking the bale thinking I would not be stupid enough to let it fall into the drain. (Usually I'd pull them over first with a rope to ensure they wouldnt go into drain) Anyway even worse happened as you can see in the photo, front of tractor went in and back was only a whisker away from going too. Of course the father is away for the weekend so I had to go get the 4wd myself to pull it out. If the father did this I'd be telling him to cop himself on a bit :o

if4v.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Thats a fine cab on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

At one week old now, still wondering how I got him out route 1. Animal of a calf.

Would you bull ever have a tussle with the cows or any fighting?
    My JE teaser got into cows today and he went attacking a few cows

Would you bull ever have a tussle with the cows or any fighting?
    My JE teaser got into cows today and he went attacking a few cows

No never a bother with him, he's as quiet as a snail.

No never a bother with him, he's as quiet as a snail.

This lad of mine us a bold little ****. Never stops growling. I'll keep him till the spring AI is over and get rid of him then.
    Have two younger teasers coming on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

This lad of mine us a bold little ****. Never stops growling. I'll keep him till the spring AI is over and get rid of him then.

Send him on his way asap I'd say. Too much of a risk, and you'll have him in with the milkers etc I assume, so surely you'll be in the holding yard etc same time as him often etc?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Send him on his way asap I'd say. Too much of a risk, and you'll have him in with the milkers etc I assume, so surely you'll be in the holding yard etc same time as him often etc?

Ah he's soft enough little lad. Just a bit noisey.
    Just don't like him fighting with cows.
    He gets a Clip of a stick if I cananage it when I see him doing it

Never handled one but all the dairy bulls seem to have a bad rep regards temperament, espically jerseys.

Never handled one but all the dairy bulls seem to have a bad rep regards temperament, espically jerseys.

Ye jerseys are cross little lads.
    But never had any trouble with thus lad. He's 2 yrs old now so might be getting too big for his boots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

There must be such a thing as 'small bull syndrome.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

golodge wrote: »
    New heifer calf borned this morning. Sire the same AI Charolais bull, dam 1/2 Limouisne, 1/2 dairy.
    Attachment not found.

are you farming in the U.S. ? that doesn't look like ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

Milton09 wrote: »
    I was like a **** this morning, went out at 7 o clock to put a bale into the shed. The bales are stored right beside the shed so we get away with using a 35 most of the year for feeding. There is one line of bales left beside a drain so I decided to chance spiking the bale thinking I would not be stupid enough to let it fall into the drain. (Usually I'd pull them over first with a rope to ensure they wouldnt go into drain) Anyway even worse happened as you can see in the photo, front of tractor went in and back was only a whisker away from going too. Of course the father is away for the weekend so I had to go get the 4wd myself to pull it out. If the father did this I'd be telling him to cop himself on a bit :o

if4v.jpg

What's that regulation about storing silage bales and watercourses? -:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Muckit wrote: »
    "What are you looking at? I'll bust ya".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Round Bale wrote: »
    What's that regulation about storing silage bales and watercourses? -:)

Had 2 inspections and never an issue, I think theres something in the rules about water in the drain for less than three months of the year - then its ok,
    Sure we get feck all rain in the NW !!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

"What are you looking at? I'll bust ya".

You starrrtin', are ya? are yaa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You starrrtin', are ya? are yaa?

Oh lord :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    Oh lord :D

Dad has a monster of a Cheviot ram, we have him penned in a room in an old house on part of the farm. I put a 6 foot gate in the door, inside that there's a fishbox with his water and feed buckets. Also have a bag of hay tied to the gate, so if Dad has to feed him alone, he doesn't have to go into the pen (room).

This buck will belt anything passed in over that gate, feed, hay, water, anything at all, and he's got plenty of weight behind him, mighty lump of a sheep though.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Muckit wrote: »

You'd see it regularly on a Saturday night with 'de bois'

Dad has a monster of a Cheviot ram, we have him penned in a room in an old house on part of the farm. I put a 6 foot gate in the door, inside that there's a fishbox with his water and feed buckets. Also have a bag of hay tied to the gate, so if Dad has to feed him alone, he doesn't have to go into the pen (room).

This buck will belt anything passed in over that gate, feed, hay, water, anything at all, and he's got plenty of weight behind him, mighty lump of a sheep though.
    Would he attack ye in the field?
    He sounds like a right little lad

Would he attack ye in the field?
    He sounds like a right little lad

No, I don't believe so. I caught him outdoors with a bag of feed. Mind you, any ram that flattens his head and starts backing tends to get the toe poke of justice from me. Dad is another story, he'll be 80 this year, I don't take chances in that regard.

Reinforcements on a sat night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭golodge

Bodacious wrote: »
    are you farming in the U.S. ? that doesn't look like ireland
    No. I'm farming in Lithuania. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

How did you end up on this site may I ask? Have you any conections with Ireland? Just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

CWI bull calf - Sod's law always a bull when ya want a heifer but I don't mind he's a live calf, she calved unassisted and he was up sucking in no time.

CWI bull calf - Sod's law always a bull when ya want a heifer but I don't mind he's a live calf, she calved unassisted and he was up sucking in no time.
    best of luck with him

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

You'd have a job convincing someone that calf is a limousin!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Have you any other CWI calves? I have 2 this year (bull and heifer) and both are very poor. Really tall and narrow. I had a bull calf last year out of a blue cow and he was a very good calf.

A few heifers I let out early March. I bulled the 2 outside heifers just before they went out. The blue will be 2 in June and the red was 1 in Nov. The other 2 are March calves from last year. They are on my driest ground but have still done a bit of damage. Probably should have left them in the shed.

photo_zps23b8e73a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Fair play to ya Robin, lovely stock. Can you say what bulls they're off?

tanko wrote: »
    Fair play to ya Robin, lovely stock. Can you say what bulls they're off?

Oh god ya sorry I should have done that Tanko. Starting from the left, DEP, CXY, SIX & MBU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

RobinBanks wrote: »
    A few heifers I let out early March. I bulled the 2 outside heifers just before they went out. The blue will be 2 in June and the red was 1 in Nov. The other 2 are March calves from last year. They are on my driest ground but have still done a bit of damage. Probably should have left them in the shed.

photo_zps23b8e73a.jpg

Lovely heifers Robin

Are you looking at Neiphin from the north or the south?

Oh god ya sorry I should have done that Tanko. Starting from the left, DEP, CXY, SIX & MBU

Ah, great stock:cool: What weight is your CXY heifer?
    I have a March born one here. 385 kgs when I weighed her there about a month ago.

A few heifers I let out early March. I bulled the 2 outside heifers just before they went out. The blue will be 2 in June and the red was 1 in Nov. The other 2 are March calves from last year.

Super stock Robin. What did ya AI them with?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

IMG_20140326_154306_zpslfr9eatw.jpg. New best friends!!IMG_20140326_153204_zpshoyk9o5n.jpg

mikeoh wrote: »
    IMG_20140326_154306_zpslfr9eatw.jpg. New best friends!!IMG_20140326_153204_zpshoyk9o5n.jpg

What's that green stuff they are lying on?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Its called......scarce!!

• Advertisement

Super stock Robin. What did ya AI them with?

The blue got LSX and the Lm got KOY

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

mikeoh wrote: »

Is that one of those Jersey X Friesian bull calves they do be on about?

The blue got LSX and the Lm got KOY

Where did ya get the straws of LSX and are there any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement