Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 24MB "NGB" problems.

Options
  • 30-04-2011 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have the 24MB Down and 732KB Upstream Eircom package, and I only ever get around 1.10MB/s Down (if I'm lucky) and 40KB Up (again, if I'm lucky). The highest I've ever seen it download at was 1.25MB/s. I'm in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.

Anyone have a clue on why this isn't even CLOSE to the speeds I'm *supposed* to be getting? I've spoken to Eircom, (a few times) and they're talking the usual BS. I've put my Model Number of the router, and line attenuation down in spoilers, I assume it must be of some help.:confused:
    Model Number: P-660HW-T1 v3
    DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 29 dB /14 dB DSL
    Noise Margin: 9 dB /20 dB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That line should be performing slightly faster for the attenuation values (in the spoiler?!). This document shows how phone internal wiring should be set up. The bits about ducting etc are not really important, what matters is the way sockets are connected to each other. http://www.reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

Also, the fewer extensions, the better. Extensions are not DSL's friend. If you can get a hold of the master socket faceplate with the built-in DSL filter, that would help. It has to be used in the master socket so the modem needs to be located there. This faceplate filters all the extension sockets and phones in one go. Any lad in an eircom van will give you one.

When all that's done, call up eircom and ask for an increase in the line speed limit to 15mbps. You're currently limited at 12. You're not going to see higher than 1.5 MB/s download speeds on that line. The upload speed thing I suspect is more an issue with port forwarding and router/PC configuration. I assume you're getting that upload figure from the use of bittorrent clients.

Advertisement