Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

single and doublechops

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

i found out a bit more about the show doing the single chop harvesting, its this club : dunmorevintage.com
    they doing a world record for the most yolks cutting together at a vintage show they have, its in the irish vintage scene this month id say it should be worth a look, anyways im going :D

Anyone else going? Just getting ready to head off myself. Read in Journal that there will be upwards of 30 single chops working in the one field.

Bringing camera so will try stick up a few pics later;)

trying to upload pics, but they're too big. Forgot to set camera to take lower grade pics :mad:

Tried using MSpaint to save them differently, but not making them small enough.

Anyone any ideas? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

try saving them as tifs or jpegs might bring them down in size or paste em into a word doc then save the word doc then extract them from word doc and save single this sometimes does the trick.

OK after loads of messing around, the first ones! Hope ye have PDF viewer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

How many did they get cutting altogether

• Advertisement

http://dunmorevintage.com/

26. It was some sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

A lad wouldnt be stuck for a hand if his gyro broke down around the west today so . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭sidewaysdrivin

after getting banned off this a while back for advertising the show i dont care now, im on the committee for dunmore vintage club & run the website

we had 26 single chop silage harvesters cutting for 10 mins 12 seconds before they started dropping out, after the major that was having difficulty & pulled out after 2 mins or so... all the participants were pre 1981 (ie 30 years old) all were single chop side mounted harvesters, & all had trailers to fill into.

there would have been 27. but quite simply we didnt have the space for any more, we didnt expect to get anything like what we got especially all the coverage from the irish farmers journal, irish vintage scene & more. we thought at first we would have to go in search of harvesters.. huge thankyou to them & also to all the people who travelled huge distances to be with us. hope you enjoyed the day & we hope to see you nextyear for some other idea, we will have something up our slieve wait & see :D

watch the site over the coming week we hope to have the photos, videos & more going up shortly on :
    dunmorevintage.com

thanks
    kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

That's a smashing looking 4x4 185
    Some nice looking stuff there all round
    well done to all

all were single chop side mounted harvesters, & all had trailers to fill into

Sorry to be pedantic, but the harvester behind the Ford 5000 that was side filling was a trailed machine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

was the 4 x 4 185 a factory fit??
    looks awesome

• Advertisement

flatout11 wrote: »
    was the 4 x 4 185 a factory fit??
    looks awesome

I'm open to correction, but I think not. The majority of 4X4 tractors of that era would have originally been 2wd tractors converted by independent companies. Hench the tractor is appears cocked backwards when the bigger wheels and axle are fitted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

Muckit wrote: »
    I'm open to correction, but I think not. The majority of 4X4 tractors of that era would have originally been 2wd tractors converted by independent companies. Hench the tractor is appears cocked backwards when the bigger wheels and axle are fitted
    thanks for that
    i heard of ones before but this was the first one i seen as a 4 x 4 id love to know how they managed it or what the cost was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

flatout11 wrote: »
    thanks for that
    i heard of ones before but this was the first one i seen as a 4 x 4 id love to know how they managed it or what the cost was!

Schindler and Selene were 2 companies that produced 4wd conversion kits for the 1 series Massey's from the 135 right up to the 188. There were probably another few companies that did them too.

To be honest, it never really took off - the conversion kit made the tractor so heavy that the once famed for their lightness 1 series tractors, now got stuck in every small wet spot because of their weight. It was found that the 2wd unconverted models managed better in soft ground and certainly did less cutting and tracking. Conversion kits also meant that these tractors had very large turning circles, poor brakes that were only built for the 2wd model etc.

all the pics from our photographers can be found at : Dunmorevintage.com/show2011

Sorry to be pedantic, but the harvester behind the Ford 5000 that was side filling was a trailed machine :D
    it started life as a side mounted, some butchery & a few smashes later it became trailed... but its a "side mounted" harvester on the commercial market. did you look at it, see the pipe battered into where the side mountings used to be, & two 90degree bends to a ball-hitch

• Advertisement

it started life as a side mounted, some butchery & a few smashes later it became trailed... but its a "side mounted" harvester on the commercial market. did you look at it, see the pipe battered into where the side mountings used to be, & two 90degree bends to a ball-hitch

I didn't have a right look. Seen it had 3 wheels at the back alright, was one an addition?? Also was thinking drawbar arrangement looked a bit homemade;)

I didn't have a right look. Seen it had 3 wheels at the back alright, was one an addition?? Also was thinking drawbar arrangement looked a bit homemade;)

the gearbox was welded to the extension piece turned the opposite way into the belt drive, and a pto shaft then from the belt drive into the machine, the 3rd wheel was an addition....dunno what was the motivation to do it that way tbh

Seen some of your stuff on youtube for Sunday, looks good well done.
    What did ye do with the grass? looks like was tipped up in the field?

tipped up bucked out with a loading shovel, raked up & left to wilt.. then bailed up. farmers land we were in does bales so it hadta be done

tipped up bucked out with a loading shovel, raked up & left to wilt.. then bailed up. farmers land we were in does bales so it hadta be done

Ah right figured it would be something like that
    Pity I'm in Canada would have been there like a shot otherwise, maybe not the (long suffering )wife though

i hear they're going doing the silage record again this year in dunmore

new vid released today, some job

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

ave a spregalise 53inch being drove by a landini 10000s, drawing in a masseyferguson 165, for one day then secound day drawing would be t 130, massey ferguson 165 and landini 10000s with 3 17x8 trailers and a 15x8 and being put up with a landini 8550.
    used take one and three quater dat do about 30-35 acres. used to do a bit for the few neighbours also. it costed s nothing only the disel. we then decided to buy a mchale f550 this year so if anyone want a good single chop ill sell it. spent €800 on it two years ago and only cut 30 acres with it then.

valtra8150 wrote: »
    ave a spregalise 53inch being drove by a landini 10000s, drawing in a masseyferguson 165, for one day then secound day drawing would be t 130, massey ferguson 165 and landini 10000s with 3 17x8 trailers and a 15x8 and being put up with a landini 8550.
    used take one and three quater dat do about 30-35 acres. used to do a bit for the few neighbours also. it costed s nothing only the disel. we then decided to buy a mchale f550 this year so if anyone want a good single chop ill sell it. spent €800 on it two years ago and only cut 30 acres with it then.

Did I see you on youtube? :rolleyes: I remember seeing a setup like that on there some time back

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

• Advertisement
Advertisement