Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Usage Cap Limits?

Options
  • 04-06-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I posed the question to the Eircom talkback forum, so we will see what they say.

When I switched from Vodafone a few weeks ago I did so because of this:

78471667.png

Eircom has launched a 'new' dashboard for users to check their account info. I am on the next generation broadband up to 24 megs (I get 18) and this is now on my account:

eircom1.jpg

I haven't confirmed, but it looks like Eircom just dropped their cap limit on their 24 meg product by over 2/3rds. If this does turn out to be the case I will be switching back very soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

The terms still say 250 gigs:

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/faq/#faqtwo

So which is it I wonder? Why would the put the 75 gig limit unless to try and dupe people? If it's 250 then it's 250. They shouldn't say unlimited. Didn't the new EU directives regarding truth in advertising recently kick in that actually directly address this very practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

do you have a link to the new dashboard?

Here is the one they emailed -

https://secure.eircom.net/apps/fixeddashboard/login.jsp
    Dear customer,
    'My eircom' has arrived and it really is your one stop shop for any information you need on your account.
    As an active user of eircom online we are sure you will appreciate the improvements we've made in bringing all your key account information together in one easy to use page.
    Watch this demo for an interactive tour of My eircom.
    My eircom lets you:
    • View and Pay your bill
    • Check your broadband usage
    • View your eircom products
    • Get your support questions answered
    • See the broadband services you are entitled to
    • Log and track a fault
    • Track an order
    Log in now using your existing 'View bill' username and password or register now at 'My eircom'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

it says i have used 4gb this month but if ya click on detailed stats that says 1.3gb so which one is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Just logged into my own one, I'm on the NGB 8MB Unlimited, I'm due to be upgraded to the 24MB Unlimited sometime in the next few weeks.

On the actual dashboard screen, under broadband, all it says is "click here to see your stats" or something similar, and it just brings me to my normal web-based page for tracking the last few months usage. Doesn't show a limit here either (so I'm assuming it's still 250GB). It's nothing like the graphic you included.

Maybe that new graphic element only applies to certain packages? Perhaps you've been setup on the wrong package?

• Advertisement

Yup thats it - I rang today and got it sorted.

I just switched over a few weeks ago and they told me I was on the Next Generation 24 meg package, but turns out I was on the 'Home Turbo' package which is also 24 megs but costs more per month and has a 75 gig transfer limit.

Why they would have put me on that package originally instead of the other is beyond me, but it is sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Which department managed to sort it for you? I just called as I have the same problem but the billing dept heard "broadband" and put me through to broadband support, who had no idea what a usage limit was and said it was "unlimited" and offered to test my speed (which I dont have a problem with) then offered to put me through to the billing department to see what package I was on... I gave up. Also the web is clear that both the Next Gen 24Mb and the "standard" 24Mb packages are 250G limits, not 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi guys, i just had a doorstep call from an eircom rep, he was asking was i interested in going back to them on their NG 8Mb package, when i asked a few questions about price and call packages i got the answers i expected, but when i asked was i correct that although the package states "unlimited allowance" it was in fact 250GB, he said no, he told me the usage allowance was 350GB, so i don`t know where i can get accurate info on this issue as the website says 250, and the rep said 350GB allowance.
    Just thought i would post this and let you know whats going on.

apophis :cool:

The current packages are here:

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/

You're right - the standard and next generation both say unlimited for the 24 meg options. Dunno why they have decided to add a cap on the website for standard users. I checked the other day when I posted this and it had 75 gigs listed, which now seems to have changed.

Here is the TOS where the list the cap limits:

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/faq/

It says 250gb.

When I signed up some 2ish months ago there was no cap listed on the website, it said unlimited with 250G fair usage limit. I would have haver have moved from Breeze unlimited for a poxy 75G cap! But my bill and online usage meter has 75G on it for some unknown reason which I will not be happy with if they think that is in any way meaningful!

• Advertisement

BigMoose wrote: »
    When I signed up some 2ish months ago there was no cap listed on the website, it said unlimited with 250G fair usage limit. I would have haver have moved from Breeze unlimited for a poxy 75G cap! But my bill and online usage meter has 75G on it for some unknown reason which I will not be happy with if they think that is in any way meaningful!

Ring them on 1901. You have to go through a few automated menus which is a pain in the arse, but you will get to customer service.

I think the option you are looking for is OTHER so when it asks you and lists the options, say OTHER and it should put you through to customer service where you can explain this and they can switch you to the proper package.

At least thats what I did.

I tried that but it went wrong as customer services didn't understand the problem! Kept getting put between billing and broadband support both of which thought it was the others issue... So I gave up but I've got the dude on the Eircom forum looking into it so hope he understands :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Make sure your bundle does not come with the 24mbit NGN "Velocity" Broadband which has a cap of 10GB ( in and out combined). Get that in writing. !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

apophis wrote: »
    so i don`t know where i can get accurate info on this issue as the website says 250, and the rep said 350GB allowance.

Simple rule: Never believe anything a rep or sales person says. Always get verification in writing from somewhere. In this case, 250GB is written on the site, so take that as the definitive answer.

Reps lie, or don't know, or make stuff up, or just get it wrong. Anything to make the sale.

Advertisement