Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Unlimited Access To Eircom Wifi Hotspots - Meteor

Options
  • 14-06-2011 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Maybe they've always had it, maybe they haven't.:confused:

But I went onto the Meteor website to check out their deals on the iPhone 4 (even though I have one already and I'm with Meteor), and one of the "perks" is Free Unlimited Eircom Wifi.

Basically you text wifi to 50003, and you get a password.
    Download the Eircom Hotspot Manager from the appstore.
    The username is your mobile number (inc. prefix) and the password is the password.

I thought it might be just for new iphone customers, but I tried it there and it works a treat. So that's me sorted!

Technically I suppose I could/should put this in the free section, but I reckon more people would see it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

This is included in their Mobile Broadband packages as well.
    The €9 Meteor dongle deal a while ago on BA, had it as well. Once you have the username and password, you can use it on any wifi machine.

Very handy when you're out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

OP - I have read through the Meteor site and only see it mentioned with iPhone and so far have only seen it downloadable from iTunes.

I am using an android phone & cannot see where I can download an app that is android-friendly.

Great find - but will be happier when I find where I can download Android compatible manager.

Regards,

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

I am on prepay and sent wifi to the number and it replied back with a user and password for the wifi hotspots, So I guess I just use them to log in to one of their hotspots.

Now where are their hotspots??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

the-ging wrote: »
    I am on prepay and sent wifi to the number and it replied back with a user and password for the wifi hotspots, So I guess I just use them to log in to one of their hotspots.

Full list of hotspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

Here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

It lists them at the bottom of the app, closest to your current location first.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭t-hairy

Seems to work for eMobile too - which would make sense, I suppose. Cheers op.

Do you need this Eircom Hotspot Manager? If so, where do you get one for Android?

I have my Username & Password already.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Dummy wrote: »
    OP - I have read through the Meteor site and only see it mentioned with iPhone and so far have only seen it downloadable from iTunes.

I am using an android phone & cannot see where I can download an app that is android-friendly.

Great find - but will be happier when I find where I can download Android compatible manager.

Regards,

D.

Ya - same boat - I actually cant find any info on the Meteor or Eircom sites on how I access this on my Android
    Would I just check for a hotspot at a location listed and then try to connect with the password - what's the SSID? what's the Hotspot show up as? what tells me its a Hotspot and not just some randoms router throwing out wifi around his house. Should I just stand next to a phonebox and see if I can connect - might look like a stalker doing that !

Great service if you can figure out how to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Is it the app called 'Eircom Wi-fi'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's interesting, but does it require an app?

When you connect to the WiFi network doesn't the login page load automatically when you open the browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

When you connect to the WiFi network doesn't the login page load automatically when you open the browser?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

greenfly wrote: »
    Yes

Have you tried it, successfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Can Eircom home broadband customers avail of this too or is it just mobile customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Have you tried it, successfully?

Hvant tried it with a logon. But whenever i have picked up eircom hotspots in the past on phone or laptop it just redirects you login screen asking for username and pass.

Also, here on emobiles page they describe how you connect to the hotspot.
    There are six simple steps involved when accessing the internet at an eircom WiFi hotspot

1) Turn on your wireless-enabled laptop or any other wireless device
    2) Click on the Wireless Network Connection icon on the task bar
    3) View available networks (make sure your wireless connection is turned on)
    4) Set the Service Set Identifier (SID) to 'eircom'
    5) Click on your web browser and the eircom WiFi welcome page will appear
    6) Enter your username and password and away you go

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Yes

Doyler92 wrote: »

Where are you seeing this App?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Apple Appstore (I can see it on my ipod touch)
    I don't think there is an equivalent for Android (I just searched).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Dummy wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this App?

D.

Just type eircom into the search in the app store.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers OP - texted the number there and got a password back with my mobile number as the username.

Will test it when I'm in an eircom zone - I've a Desire HD and it normaly asks you to login at the webpage once you connect to the AP

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Cheers OP - texted the number there and got a password back with my mobile number as the username.

Will test it when I'm in an eircom zone - I've a Desire HD and it normaly asks you to login at the webpage once you connect to the AP

I have football training tonight & wont get a chance to try this out.

But will you let me know how you get on please, if you get to try it out tonight.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Anybody got a copy of the app for any platform they can send me?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I'm on android and got a password back.

Does it apply to eircom home broadband customers as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭U2Flyboy

Got my username and password from the Meteor Broadband To Offer and it works fine. I find however that some of the access points no longer work. In my locality for example Corrib oil Swinford, Brennan's Lane Ballina and the public Payphone kiosks Ballina dont seem to work. The Hotspot at the Downhill Inn Ballina does work and the one at McDonalds/Caseys Castlebar works fine. I'm just interested to hear what others find round the country.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Does it apply to eircom home broadband customers as well?

Eircom customers can sign up now and get it free until January. Also note that it comes free as part of the 24 meg NGB package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

why have meteor (eircom) basically said fu to all the existing android users by not creating an android app first in favour of their new iphone customers when surely their android user base is much larger than the iphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

why have meteor (eircom) basically said fu to all the existing android users by not creating an android app first in favour of their new iphone customers when surely their android user base is much larger than the iphone?

Meteor didn't create the app, an irish company called Digital Reach made it:
    http://www.drg.ie/index.html

Which was more than likely a partnership with Eircom than Meteor. You can still connect to the Wifi's on any Wifi enabled phone and enter a username and password on the login page so what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

my problem is you have to login at each point using the browser rather than a seamless switch over

does the iphone app do this or do you have to open browser, login, then work away with your internet, email update etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Tried this from my iPod Touch today but it didn't work for me.

Via the Hotspots app it detected the Wi-Fi point but failed to connect.

I then tried via Safari. The usr/pwd page was displayed as expected but when I entered the relevant credentials it told me invalid username/password.

Advertisement