Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

3fullback wrote: »
    Indeed, like i previously said it would be leading into back of Higgins, where the proposed tesco is to be !:rolleyes:

could also be used to allow u-turns on the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

could also be used to allow u-turns on the road...
    It's definitely not for U-turns, as said earlier it's a right turning lane to go into the Tesco development.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack_Plumber

3fullback wrote: »
    Whats this lane for ?

I am wondering about the authority that approved this design which appears to pre-judge the TESCO hypermarket planning decision. Can anyone shed any light on the road design approval process?

3fullback, where did you get the image?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

yer man! wrote: »

Is that the junction that turns onto Rahoon Road/Highfield Park? The newly refurnished ESB station is in the corner of the illustration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Is that the junction that turns onto Rahoon Road/Highfield Park? The newly refurnished ESB station is in the corner of the illustration.
    No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

3fullback, where did you get the image?

Freely available on galway city council website

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack_Plumber

yer man! wrote: »
    Freely available on galway city council website
    Sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

imo that junction, the way it is now is a massive car crash waiting to happen. You have cars speeding up the road and the cars that have to come up through highfield nearly have to drive out on top of them to get out. If you don't know the main road nearly comes in on top of the highfield junction you could drive right out and get smashed - its deadly.

I suppose it will have to take a smash up before they put up signs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

imo that junction, the way it is now is a massive car crash waiting to happen. You have cars speeding up the road and the cars that have to come up through highfield nearly have to drive out on top of them to get out. If you don't know the main road nearly comes in on top of the highfield junction you could drive right out and get smashed - its deadly.

While I agree that signage could be a lot better at the junction....
    Has the speed limit reverted to 50kmh yet? I assume it is still 35kmh and there are 35kmh signs up so people shouldn't be speeding up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

KevR wrote: »
    While I agree that signage could be a lot better at the junction....
    Has the speed limit reverted to 50kmh yet? I assume it is still 35kmh and there are 35kmh signs up so people shouldn't be speeding up the road.

its the fact that when you get to the top of the highfield side, unless you know that there are cars coming straigh at you, you could "go to the end of the junction" to turn left - the end of the junction is now part of the main road where the cars speed up without slowing. I suppose you have to experience it to believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not looking good at the top of Gleann Dara, a load of electrical conduit has been dug around and exposed....meaning there is _some class_ of a problem with it. They even consawed out a section of the brand new wall in front of Gleann Dara to get at it.

As that bundle of conduits is to carry a new 110kv line currently being dug in along the Western Distributor together with separately carrying electricity in from permitted windfarms in Spiddal and Furbo together with spare ducts for a possible future 110kv line together with carrying all the existing ( lower voltage) electricity for Knocknacarra and Barna out to the Aran Islands and ceantar na n'Oileán together with ensuring that the lot of them cannot interfere with each other ......there is an imperative to make sure all is well before anyone puts a finished road on top of it.

It is sort of explained HERE . Page 9. It may very well be that extra conduit is needed and that Eirgrid themselves are paying for this overrun not the Corpo for a change. Confusingly the Rahoon Eirgrid 110kv Substation, located across the road from the Rahoon flats...and in the Townland of Ragoon......is called "Salthill" by the ESB even though it is a mile from Salthill. :D

But I smell a sudden and unforeseen delay here and I predict that the bloody road will not now be finished in May either .....as a consequence. :(

Christ knows how long it will take to sort out. If that exposed conduit is not covered over by a road bed and by the end of next week I will seriously fear for Coffey being finished and out of there in time for the Volvo Race. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I absolutely hate that road now,it's s health and safety disaster.
    Coming out of Glen dara is treacherous and the lack of signs or road markings just adds to the chaos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Not looking good at the top of Gleann Dara, a load of electrical conduit has been dug around and exposed....meaning there is _some class_ of a problem with it. They even consawed out a section of the brand new wall in front of Gleann Dara to get at it.

Does the conduit by any chance follow the "cycle lanes". There is very good reason to believe that the so called cycle lanes are actually intended as "sacrificable" trenches to route cables and pipes. That they arent really intended as "cycle facilities" but just to act as a place thats easy to dig up without disturbing the car traffic.

You can see the same thing up at the works on the Tuam rd - the route of the "cycle facilities" is shown by the yellow ESB tape.

No, it comes out of the green area in front of Gleann Dara almost up at the hotel (but not quite) and strikes across the BOD road towards the cemetary road direction on the diagonal. Have a look yourself some time. Your path is probably sacrifical for slit trenched fibre of some sort which will not affect cyclists...even if only to connect the supposely smart traffic lights or a VMS sign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No, it comes out of the green area in front of Gleann Dara almost up at the hotel (but not quite) and strikes across the BOD road towards the cemetary road direction on the diagonal. Have a look yourself some time

I will. However the imediate assumption, based on your description, is that the cables you have described are intended to go into the uphill "cycle path" destined for the Rahoon road as far as the cemetary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Layers of tarmac going down between the Gleann Dara junction and the Glen Oaks this morning on the unopened side.

The part of the car park in Gleann Dara (besides the Glen Oaks) that had been dug up for the piping has been repaired now as well. They've been busy the past few days at the junction for Westside Dunnes putting down additional road markings as well.

Phew. I was afraid the duct problem was a biggie. Once they finish very the top of the new bit they can cut over all the traffic ( 2 way temporarily) to the new sections. I'd reckon they can do that before the end of the month.

Then they can dig out the old road on the top bit and the 'dip' opposite Gleann Dara and do them properly.

Mid June, about the 15th, is a possible finish date at this tiime!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Gleann Dara and Glen Oaks junctions close to being finished.
    Some very nice stonework at the topaz station as well.

I'll stick with the June 15th finish date....at the earliest.

The plan to dig up the Cemetary Road is progressing too.

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=MAY339775
    The Contract involves (but is not limited to) the Construction of Bus Lane, Pedestrian and Cyclist Facilities with associated Road Widening, diversion of underground utilities, landscaping, drainage works, accommodation works, stone walls, signage / road markings, lighting, pavement along Rahoon Road in Galway City.
    The location of the works is between the junction with the Bishop O’Donnell Road and the junction with the link road to the Western Distributor Road, a distance of approximately 500m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 TomWade

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but what's the point of 24 hours bus lanes when we don't have 24 hour busses.

There can be only one purpose of a 24 hour bus lane, and that is simply to ensure congestion for motorists in an attempt to force them out of their cars.

Note that this bus lane is not a former hard shoulder of a two lane carriageway - it has been designed this way. It is particularly unsuitable as a great deal of traffic avoids the city center at the weekend by going around the ring road. On a Sunday there can be many cars and very few buses on this road.

Basically they have spent a huge amount of money upgrading a windy single lane road that can only take one lane of traffic in each direction into a wide straight road that can still only take a single lane of traffic in each direction.

We really need directly elected County/City Managers so that this Czars can finally answer to the people they are inconveniencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is informational rather than discussing the intention of the politicians behind it. As you can see in the stickies there is a temp ban on discussing general traffic at the moment.
    You can still use the Infrastructure forum for now if you want to discuss Galway traffic.

Couple of interesting factoids on the SQR Mega Project.

1. The road widening project cost c.€16m for 1.6km. That is

a) €1m per 100m of new road.

or

b) €10,000 per metre of new road.

2. The road is around 30m wide including paths walls etc. The corpo owned almost all the land before they widened it so the money was almost all spent on 'roadworks' not on land acquisition.

3. At €10,000 a metre and divided by a width of 30m. Each square metre of the new Séamus Quirke Road cost €333.33c

4. We could have covered the same area twice over with Travertine Marble for €333 a square meter. It would look lovely. :D

This notice issued today by email.

I _think_ what they mean that the Aldi turn will be blocked off on Tuesday night so they can surface the road outside Aldi and maybe that means they will finish the footpath beside Aldi today.

The main road is already surfaced at that junction.
    To facilitate surfacing works on the Seamus Quirke/Bishop O' Donnell roads, lane closures will be in operation on the Old Seamus Quirke Road from 8pm tomorrow to 11am on Wednesday. Traffic management will be in operation and diversion signage will be in place, while works are underway. Galway Transportation Unit wishes to thank members of the public for their continued cooperation and support during the construction of this significant project for the Westside of Galway city. Should you have any queries contact our office at 091 - 894328.

They're busy putting down more tarmac from the Shantall Road junction to the Glenoaks this morning as well. Also, some road markings have gone up too on this stretch of road, so hopefully they will be able to switch traffic over in the not too distant future.

I simply can't see it all being done by the middle of June though, I'd say the end of it or else early July is more likely.

The Volvo Race event starts on the 29th of June. If it isn't finished by then there will be ructions. Then there is the Connacht Final just after that. :D

Well maybe they'll just about manage it.

Like you, I wouldn't exactly have a lot of faith in Galway City Council and Coffeys though!

I suppose it depends on when they open up the left hand side of the road between Shantalla Road and Fort Lorenzo - in fairness that looks to be nearly complete.

Fixing the 'dip' on the other side of the road not to mention footpaths etc up by Fort Lorenzo I would have thought will take some time though.

The dip will take a week or so, the top bit is the problem.

I said it would be June 6 months ago and I really really really hope Coffey is gone by the end of it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where Shantalla road meets SQR is closed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

As I sat in my car for 20 minutes this morning, covering just 400 metres or so in that time, I couldn't help but admire the lovely bus lanes on either side of the carriageway. Pity there were no buses to go on them, mind you!

Advertisement