Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[DIY] Installing a phone extension

Options
  • 27-07-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi folks, I'm doing some re-wiring work on an old phone installation.

I'm going to document the installation of the extension step by step, and hopefully when done someone will get a benefit from it.

Note: As with all advice this is given without any guarantee that it will work as described. I take no responsibility for any damage, injury or financial loss suffered by following this process. I'm merely documenting my own experience and, as always, if you are not sure of what you are doing, consult a professional electrician or Eircom engineer.

I had the eircom technician out to install a modern Master socket to replace the 30+ year old P&T RJ-11 socket in my parents' house. We don't have broadband in the exchange so it's just a standard phone socket one.

This photo shows the setup as it is now. This wasn't my handiwork, by the way.

The plug is inverted in the socket with the holding tab at the bottom (assume this is normal?)

The wire on the right is the main DECT phone in the hall which will be plugged into the Master socket once the rewiring is done.

The wire on the left is a long phone cable with an RJ-11 plug on each end. This wire feeds an older push button phone directly with no socket.

The Plan

Right now, I want to replace this dodgy setup with at least one properly wired extension socket in the kitchen - I want to use a proper socket rather than a compact one from the DIY store - I'm a perfectionist.

Later on, I also want the flexibility of adding two more sockets to the setup next year. For one socket I want to run underground and outdoors to an 'office shed'. I'll be putting in PVC ducting at the appropriate depth (55mm minimum) at a distance of maybe 25m from the house to the shed (it's probably much less than this). This is so I don't have to dash to the house when working in the office shed.

I will also be running outdoor CAT5/6 and CoAx CCTV cable as I do this so I will be using shielded cable, probably CAT5/6 for LAN and telephone. The idea is to provide one telephone line, cable runs for two CCTV cameras to add to an existing system at the house, and a LAN connection for the office.

What I have

• One modern Eircom master socked, properly wired.
    • One CAT6 UTP patch cable, for the first extension socket

What I need?
    • IDC tool to install cables
    • Extension socket assembly (full size)
    • Wire strippers and wire cutters (borrowed)
    • Electricians flat head screwdriver
    • Phillips screwdriver of appropriate size
    • CAT 6 cable clips (x50)

If there's anything I've forgotten, can someone let me know? I also want to know where I can get some quality extension phone sockets.

Advertisement