Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom hosting - transferring existing emails to new host

Options
  • 06-09-2011 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Not sure if I'm in the right place but was asked to provide a Wordpress site for a client which is great except for the fact he's got Eircom hosting which isn't compatible. Have advised he'd need to change so looking at Blacknight who are great to deal with.

Biggest problem will relate to emails. Emails are currently provided through Eircom and client advised me that his account manager said that the emails were pointed to Web Hosting Ireland - a registered domain with no apparent website. Have made numerous calls to Eircom and have all but given up on ever finding somebody that actually can help.

What is my best way to proceed? I agreed to do a website, but if I can't guarantee a smooth transition of emails there are legal implications so it's not worth the risk.

Thanks, D

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Hi, if the email is with Eircom,
    Then person on the Eircom bill (i.e the business owner) needs to call Eircom and request that all dns records are transferred to your new host, then the new host should be able to sort out the new mail records for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

What you have to do is to identify the domain name used for the emails.

Then you have to check the nameservers for the domain name and the mail server (MX) used for the mail.

If the mailserver is on a Web Hosting Ireland IP/domain name then you could theoretically change the nameservers from Eircom but maintain the Web Hosting Ireland mailserver record. (This might be a bit tricky but should be easy if you are using a control panel.)

If the e-mail addresses are @eircom.net then they are not associated with the domain name itself.

It is hard to say what the situation is without knowing the domain name as this would involve nameserver and mailserver lookups to understand the current situation.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 protocol1

dubdeb wrote: »
    Hi,

...emails were pointed to Web Hosting Ireland - a registered domain with no apparent website...

This sounds like it might be Hosting Ireland. If you contact them they should be able to confirm if not point you in the right direction.

I should say that I work for them.

Advertisement