Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh right! I hadn't noticed that as I never leave messages on Youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Embarrassed to say I am back with the same problem again with Youtube. I keep getting the message 'Get a better name on Youtube, replace your hard-to-read username, and start using the name people know you by'. Last time it was suggested I clear cookies which I did and it sorted it out, for a while, but its back again with a vengeance. While logged in (watching craft tutorials), I am able to 'like' a video, but if I want to leave a complimentary message to the demonstrator it won't let me and I get that irritating message. My 'hard-to-read' name is not 'hard-to-read' at all, and it is extremely easy to read in fact! Do I have to keep clearing dem cookies regularly then, and even if I do change my username, might I still get the message? I appreciate you stayed with me this far. :o

this stuff from elsewhere online about the problem

this is the official solution, i don't know if it works for certain though, but try this first:

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry for all the frustration. The prompt is definitely not supposed to show up every time. To help us figure out why this is happening and how we can prevent it from happening again, could you confirm that you're doing the following:

1. Clicking "I don't want to use my full name"
    2. Clicking one of the two options (One name / Two names)

If you do these, the prompt isn't supposed to show up again. If you confirm that you are indeed doing this, we can try to figure out what's going on.

I hope the information I provided is useful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks again for getting in touch with us!
    Sincerely,

The YouTube Team

if not try doing this:
    write the message out first in notepad or something
    copy it
    click to comment on YT & paste

it's supposed to get done before the popup appears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you batistuta9. I did click 'I don't want to use my real name' several times but it brings me through a process which ends up by asking me to enter my new name! Its dopey! I've even tried the quick paste as you suggest but I'd need to have more lightening in my digit than I can muster up! :) Is no-one else going through this? Come in and join my gang if you are, I'm feeling like I'm the only one.

Thank you batistuta9. I did click 'I don't want to use my real name' several times but it brings me through a process which ends up by asking me to enter my new name! Its dopey! I've even tried the quick paste as you suggest but I'd need to have more lightening in my digit than I can muster up! :) Is no-one else going through this? Come in and join my gang if you are, I'm feeling like I'm the only one.

there's loads of people having that problem

the youtube thread/help section on google groups is where i got that from, didn't really look for too many details but i think it's to do with google wanting you to use your name from google+ (if you have one) and not a pseudonym on youtube

but one person said the email response did work, i'll login tomorrow to see if it happens me

i don't know if you know these or do it this way but they're quicker

Ctrl+a = select all
    Ctrl+c = copy
    Ctrl+v = paste

batistuta9 wrote: »

i don't know if you know these or do it this way but they're quicker

Ctrl+a = select all
    Ctrl+c = copy
    Ctrl+v = paste

That's what I use too!

• Advertisement

That's what I use too!

OK

i've logged in there and the box came up, i clicked i don't want to use my real name, then when the next screen comes up (the one with review all my content & the two options) at the bottom it says 'ask me later' i clicked that

the box hasn't came back, yet (only about a minute, thouhg :pac: ) & it allowed me to post a comment

try that to see and i'll log in again and try what you've been doing

I did the 'ask me later' as well earlier. I hadn't noticed it before though. But it just means they will, 'ask me later'. Hrumph! Oooh you got to leave a comment. Will give it a go tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Why is it that some people on boards can have their own custom avatar/image? Is is the case that you have to have a certain number of posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Subscribers are allowed to have custom avatars. Details can be got here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950118

I think moderators are also allowed have custom ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Yep, mods do get custom avatar ability too.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I was bored one day last week so started snooping on picture threads. You know the ones.."Know your fellow posters type thing"

Some pics come up as a little box and no amount of refreshing will fix it.
    I understand posters can take down pics etc but one I was curious about was just put up and others thanked it and commented.

Why can't I see it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Quite often if you right click then ask it to open in a different page or something, it will work. Its something to do with the way the person has loaded it. (I trust that technical explanation will be ok :-) )

Hmmm. Tried that and no joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

when you did the above, did you right click, scroll down to "properties", copy the url and then paste it in your menu bar and then search for it?

perhaps its because its that shot of rube doing his naturist yoga class?

BBDBB wrote: »
    when you did the above, did you right click, scroll down to "properties", copy the url and then paste it in your menu bar and then search for it?

perhaps its because its that shot of rube doing his naturist yoga class?

I did not. And I cant even see anything that says properties.:confused:

You could be on to something there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I can only tell you what I do which sometimes works.
    right click the faulty pic and a box pops up, down the bottom is properties which has a load of info about the nature of the pic, the url address is one of those pieces of info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think the pictures he is talking about are old ones that are no longer hosted, so the links are broken. Are they old posts? Maybe you could link us to the post in question

This is the link. Its not an old one. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87230940&postcount=2452
    There was one up the page that was a proper pic when I saw it being posted and now thats gone too :confused:

*Disclaimer* To the owner of the pic, I swear I'm not stalking you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Chucken wrote: »
    This is the link. Its not an old one. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87230940&postcount=2452
    There was one up the page that was a proper pic when I saw it being posted and now thats gone too :confused:
    That's definitely been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Chucken wrote: »
    I was bored one day last week so started snooping on picture threads. You know the ones.."Know your fellow posters type thing"

Some pics come up as a little box and no amount of refreshing will fix it.
    I understand posters can take down pics etc but one I was curious about was just put up and others thanked it and commented.

Why can't I see it? :(

I was wondering this recently too. Sometimes they're quite recent posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Oh, so many questions from bewildered victims of IT speak and meddling! Isn't it annoying that even though most sites have "HELP", the bewildered classes (of which I am one) know, either from actual or previous experience, that HELP is written by the same nerds who created the problem, for other nerds, in their private language called Middle Nerdish and is as much actual HELP to the rest of the population as cardboard cutlery. Just like Sheldon, they cannot consider that they are the root cause of the problem.

To make matters worse, some of today's nerds, in an homage to earlier generations of nerds, still design their products in a 1990's style, e.g. Adobe; Apple, etc., where getting ANY result is an achievement. I call this "Rubik's Cubism", i.e. only geeks can solve it but the rest of us spent hundreds of hours trying to.

So, drop to your knees and thank whichever deity you favour that these IT cliques didn't design can openers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

While I have been off work I have come to realise (I already knew to be honest) that I work for an awful company. So while messing around with the inter webby I decided to forward my CV to a few places.

But since I had my computer rebuilt (sort of ... it is a new computer mostly) I realised I didn't have my CV on it anymore. No worries said I to myself. I made a copy on a Floppy HDD. (Easier for me to modify as things changed you see) BUT there is no floppy drive on the computer :eek:

Yes you can buy external drives for small money and I do have an old IBM Pentium in a cupboard that I may be able to use to transfer the files to a CD. Bit of faffing around if I can get up off my lazy backside to do it.

Anyway I went to the place where I had the computer built (rebuilt) to see if they had any old floppy drives that I could put in the current computer.

While I was there I explained that the computer is running slow (and I have done all of the usual bits and bobs) I was told that a computer needs regular servicing to keep running. Has anyone else been told this and if so what does it entail. It seems to be a bit expensive.

Methinks someone is itching for a service contract!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Rubecula wrote: »
    While I have been off work I have come to realise (I already knew to be honest) that I work for an awful company. So while messing around with the inter webby I decided to forward my CV to a few places.

But since I had my computer rebuilt (sort of ... it is a new computer mostly) I realised I didn't have my CV on it anymore. No worries said I to myself. I made a copy on a Floppy HDD. (Easier for me to modify as things changed you see) BUT there is no floppy drive on the computer :eek:

Yes you can buy external drives for small money and I do have an old IBM Pentium in a cupboard that I may be able to use to transfer the files to a CD. Bit of faffing around if I can get up off my lazy backside to do it.

Anyway I went to the place where I had the computer built (rebuilt) to see if they had any old floppy drives that I could put in the current computer.

While I was there I explained that the computer is running slow (and I have done all of the usual bits and bobs) I was told that a computer needs regular servicing to keep running. Has anyone else been told this and if so what does it entail. It seems to be a bit expensive.

I would be really interested to know what "regular servicing" entails. Sounds somewhat like a scam to me. How much are they charging? Every once in a while I like to reinstall the entire operating system on my computer to get rid of any junk that tends to accumulate. That is what I would consider a "service"

Rubecula wrote: »

Download and run Ccleaner and Advanced system care regularly. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html
    With the free versions you have to manually run them but they should be more than sufficient to keep your computer running ok. Other than reinstalling an operating system a repair place will run these on your comp and charge you for it. If you do download them and have any problems let me know and I can take you through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

how do i upload a video from another website and have it play in the thread. For example if i see a video on a news channel i want to create a thread about, how can i have it that the video can be played within the thread?

In the past, i tried without success and could just post a link but usual other board members were able to fix it as per above.

lightspeed wrote: »
    how do i upload a video from another website and have it play in the thread. For example if i see a video on a news channel i want to create a thread about, how can i have it that the video can be played within the thread?

In the past, i tried without success and could just post a link but usual other board members were able to fix it as per above.
    If its a youtube video you need to take the url of the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VNB-2VJFY
    You need the bit after the =. You put it between

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

ken wrote: »
    Download and run Ccleaner and Advanced system care regularly. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

Yes, I've used Ccleaner successfully - it gets rid of gunk from your superbetahetrodynedemodulatererers and was recommended by out IT geek. However, the warning messages can cause concern! This link is a screenshot of a "safe" clean-up. You'll lose "history", e.g. recent Word / Excel files opened, etc. but that's easily remedied.

Attachment not found.

Also, if it's not a personal question, do you "defragment" regularly? (For a thick so-and-so, it's amazing how well I can spoof).

On my ancient laptop, running XP Professional:
    • My computer / Right click C Drive / Properties / Tools / Defragment Now.
    At this point, you should see a list of all of your internal and connected external drives. Highlight one drive and click "Analyse". If the screen now shows like a total mess of red, green and blue blocks, click "fragment" and wait a few minutes while Mr. Gates tidies up all of the stuff on your shelves.
    Repeat for other listed drives.

Other operating systems (OSs) (God, I'm good) may have slightly different routes but defragmenting is a risk free exercise. It does need some empty space (at least 15%) on the drive to work properly but, if you haven't got 15%, (you'll get an on-screen message) move some stuff from that drive to a safe place, delete from the drive (making room), defragment what's left on the drive and replace the stuff from safe storage to the drive after defragmenting.

The management accepts no responsibility for cock-ups perpetrated by oulwans or oulfellas.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Yes, I've used Ccleaner successfully - it gets rid of gunk from your superbetahetrodynedemodulatererers and was recommended by out IT geek. However, the warning messages can cause concern! This link is a screenshot of a "safe" clean-up. You'll lose "history", e.g. recent Word / Excel files opened, etc. but that's easily remedied.

Attachment not found.

Also, if it's not a personal question, do you "defragment" regularly? (For a thick so-and-so, it's amazing how well I can spoof).

On my ancient laptop, running XP Professional:
    • My computer / Right click C Drive / Properties / Tools / Defragment Now.
    At this point, you should see a list of all of your internal and connected external drives. Highlight one drive and click "Analyse". If the screen now shows like a total mess of red, green and blue blocks, click "fragment" and wait a few minutes while Mr. Gates tidies up all of the stuff on your shelves.
    Repeat for other listed drives.

Other operating systems (OSs) (God, I'm good) may have slightly different routes but defragmenting is a risk free exercise. It does need some empty space (at least 15%) on the drive to work properly but, if you haven't got 15%, (you'll get an on-screen message) move some stuff from that drive to a safe place, delete from the drive (making room), defragment what's left on the drive and replace the stuff from safe storage to the drive after defragmenting.

The management accepts no responsibility for cock-ups perpetrated by oulwans or oulfellas.

Using Advanced system care I defrag my computer every 2-3 days. That is heavily excessive but it does it along with other cleaning so I let it. Most people I know would only defrag once every month or every other month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Just testing Kens answer to Lightspeed above! Always wondered how it was done.
    (brilliant goal from a ladies soccer game)

Link deleted.

Edit: yea! Thanks Ken.

ModEdit: Just for any ones future reference there is a little known forum set up specifically for testing stuff. It's call Test. It's here.

Advertisement