Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Occupy Wall Street' protests

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Totally suppressed by the media (no surprise there), spreading to other US and even Canadian cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

head out the rabbit hole a minute -- how the heck does one "occupy" a film?!

U boys r weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

LH Pathe wrote: »
    head out the rabbit hole a minute -- how the heck does one "occupy" a film?!

U boys r weird.

:confused:

>>>>>>>>>>>>> QUOTE is your friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Saila wrote: »
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> QUOTE is your friend

yurhur

sure I can't even seem to get my head in it, let alone around it but rest assured I'll get to te bottom of this..

Rabbit hole.

Back on topic... The banks are killing us, governments are protecting the banks. Why?

Back on topic... The banks are killing us, governments are protecting the banks. Why?

Banks own the government!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The banks aren't "killing us".

Yes they are, they are bleeding this country dry with their contrived debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

OCCUPY CORK

whos going to cork ? :D

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    OCCUPY CORK

whos going to cork ? :D

The pork in cork would defecate all over the barracks. Should people give them something to do?.

Bangers?.. Bonfires?.

• Advertisement

Yeah, waste Garda time and resources by having them babysit protesters!

That'll show those bankers, who already don't care, that we mean business!

Attachment not found.

Careful now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭pacquiao

anyone following what's happening over in America recently?
    This thing is going to get huge. All the unions are backing the protesters who are sick of how banking runs the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So which bank do you work for then and how much have you had to be bailed out for?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

Soon NATO, led by Sarkozy and Cameroon, will start another humanitarian carpet bombing campaign over Washington DC to install an AlCIAda led Interim government into power in the US...

But seriously, I hope this is the start of a mass awakening, but I fear after the events of 911, the bankers (which seems to be a non NWO conspiracy way of saying ruling Elite) will not hesitate in implementing an even more horrific false flag to ensure to stay in control.

This is the US last chance to stop the slow slide into fascism... After this instead if TSA gropedowns they will be getting cavity searches in airports and NFL stadiums and probably in their own homes

I wouldn't worry too much, the financial crisis may well put an end to the gravy train once and for all.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So which bank do you work for then and how much have you had to be bailed out for?

I'm a lowly frontline public transport worker taking home roughly the average industrial wage.

I wouldn't worry too much, the financial crisis may well put an end to the gravy train once and for all.

There's been stock market crashes and recessions before and nothing changed.

The same thing will happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

God almighty
    NOTHING pisses me off more than those who pour scorn on protest movements.

I am 100% confident that if Ireland was ruled by Britain today, and it was up to the current generation to overthrow the oppression, not only would no revolution take place, but anyone who tried to start one would be sh!t on by the mainstream media and a huge number of people.

Apathy and resignationism, ladies and gentlemen. The scourge of our society. :mad:

• Advertisement

God almighty

I am 100% confident that if Ireland was ruled by Britain today, and it was up to the current generation to overthrow the oppression, not only would no revolution take place, but anyone who tried to start one would be sh!t on by the mainstream media and a huge number of people.

You do realise that, at the time, the Easter Rising was unpopular amoung the general populace?

Not that it's relevant to OWS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm a lowly frontline public transport worker taking home roughly the average industrial wage.

Really? so if you're not getting rich off it when in the hell are you so happy with the status quo?

Really? so if you're not getting rich off it when in the hell are you so happy with the status quo?

Because it has very little, if any, effect on my life.

There's been stock market crashes and recessions before and nothing changed.

The same thing will happen again.

The fundimentals of resourse depletion, say otherwise.

Because it has very little, if any, effect on my life.

The current economic situation has no effect on your life? Are you SURE you're not a banker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

You do realise that, at the time, the Easter Rising was unpopular amoung the general populace?

Indeed. Was the War of Independence unpopular at the time, however?
    What about rhe civil rights movements in the US and the North?

Neither would survive under today's utter lethargy and apathy
    Not that it's relevant to OWS.

How so? OWS is protesting against oppression by the financial sector. The US, like us, bailed out failed private financial companies at the taxpayers' expense, and people there are paying the same price we are.

• Advertisement

The current economic situation has no effect on your life?

If anything it had a positive effect because it has made things more affordable.
    Are you SURE you're not a banker?

Gee i dunno, i mean i already told you what i do for a living and what i get paid but obviously you know better than i do so i must be a banker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX9GTUMh490&feature=related

"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify and vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as crazy, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Awesome people in the video : Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, Orville Wright, Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein

that was an Ad made by apple , a capitalist computer corporation , using this example in this thread is hillarious

If anything it had a positive effect because it has made things more affordable.

Gee i dunno, i mean i already told you what i do for a living and what i get paid but obviously you know better than i do so i must be a banker.

If you work in public sector, it also means you're being taxed more, so you are effected. Beyond that, I find it curious that you take pride in your apathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

please elaborate

Greed is good? That statement would suggest that you haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about...

Saying the women who got pepper sprayed by the cops deserved it, further proves this...

Greed is good? That statement would suggest that you haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about...

Saying the women who got pepper sprayed by the cops deserved it, further proves this...

Ironic, given that he complained about laziness, but hasn't actaully put the effort inro reading up on the thing.

• Advertisement

why didnt 2 people (who wouldnt disperse when instructed to by police) deserve to be moved on in a non violent non lethal fashion ?

why is greed bad ?

please a decent explanation would help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

No much happening in Boston. I can see the protesters from my office. They have a bunch of tents setup in a park accross the road from the Federal Reserve.

And there is some hippies occupying the sidewalk by dancing and playing with hula hoops...some protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Anyone think that OccupyDameStreet protest starting on the 8th will turn into anything major or production?

I really respect the people in OWS.

These protesters in NYC must have the soundest bosses ever. Letting them take nearly 3 weeks off to camp out in Wall St.

Oh....... right.

I forgot.

These protesters in NYC must have the soundest bosses ever. Letting them take nearly 3 weeks off to camp out in Wall St.

Oh....... right.

I forgot.

Im sure some of them would love to have that problem, but theres a bit of a unemployment problem at the moment. Jobs shut down cause of some entirely unrelated financial troubles..in wall street.

why didnt 2 people (who wouldnt disperse when instructed to by police) deserve to be moved on in a non violent non lethal fashion ?

why is greed bad ?

please a decent explanation would help

1 - Because the police are required to obey the law as well as the protestors, and macing individuals who are acting in a non-threatening way is illegal.

2 - Spend a bit of time reading up on the indiviuals who took out mortgages that they couldn't afford, the institutions that lent them the money, even though they couldn't afford it and the government that allowed them to. All indiviguals who acted greedily and would up not only hurting themsleves but the entire country's economic status.

In short, greed encourages irresponsiblity and creates a bitter, uneven societal model which ultimately leads to injustice which can - and may still - spill over in violence.

As I said, you complain about laziness having not made the effort to study basic social economics or the situation and the motivations behind the protests but instead lazily dismissing them as derseving of the punishmnet delt out by the police.

Bravo.

manonboard wrote: »
    Anyone think that OccupyDameStreet protest starting on the 8th will turn into anything major or production?

I really respect the people in OWS.

once they dont plan on occupying the road part , otherwise their owners might have to pay to fix my bumper , isnt that how it works when you hit animals ?

that was an Ad made by apple , a capitalist computer corporation , using this example in this thread is hillarious

An awesome advertisement made by Apple !

Obviously, consumers purchasing Apple products certainly wont drive the human race forward or cause anyone to think differently. People who think the opposite are just suckers for advertising.

I dont see an advertisement... I see a statement of truth, for a lack of a better expression, it hits the nail on the head !

manonboard wrote: »
    Im sure some of them would love to have that problem, but theres a bit of a unemployment problem at the moment. Jobs shut down cause of some entirely unrelated financial troubles..in wall street.

Would their energies not be better spent looking for employment/creating their own? They seem to be putting an awful lot of time and effort into this protest thing.

And in a country that has a proud history of people, both American and immigrant, trying their hardest to carve out a living. Sort of embarrassing to have people spending weeks at a time whinging about no/poor employment prospects when there are people willing to risk life and limb to even get into the States to work.

Not only that but they are protesting against companies that provide thousands of jobs at all levels. It really does just come off a spoiled first-worlders complaining because they aren't getting everything handed to them on a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Something tells me fox noise wont be airing this..

• Advertisement

Would their energies not be better spent looking for employment/creating their own? They seem to be putting an awful lot of time and effort into this protest thing.

Your assuming they are not or haven't tried.
    Not only that but they are protesting against companies that provide thousands of jobs at all levels.

So what if companies employ thousands doesn't make what they do ethical.

So what if companies employ thousands doesn't make what they do ethical.

Go far enough down the rabbit hole and pretty much every company out there is "unethical" in some way.

It's called business. You don't win by being nice to people.

I've no reason to believe they havent been putting energy into looking for employment over the last couple of recessionary years.
    Yes they are putting alot of thier energies into the protest 'thing' the last couple of weeks. They might actually even be thinking that protesting against practices and conditions they find unfair in thier society, might actually make a difference. Crazy, but as most here are from ireland, the land of do nothing to improve conditions mentality, I can see how this gets overlooked easily.
    And in a country that has a proud history of people, both American and immigrant, trying their hardest to carve out a living. Sort of embarrassing to have people spending weeks at a time whinging about no/poor employment prospects when there are people willing to risk life and limb to even get into the States to work.
    From all the time i've spent in the states, alot. Most are very proud that they have a right to free speech and peaceful protest. The ones who have jobs and money can be proud all they want. The people in the protest seem VERY proud of thier decision to protest. Labeling it as whinging is the type of attitude that has held back progress in many different areas of life and history for so long. Bravo. Other protests like Stonewall and such were probably also just whinging........
    Not only that but they are protesting against companies that provide thousands of jobs at all levels. It really does just come off a spoiled first-worlders complaining because they aren't getting everything handed to them on a plate.

They're protesting about unfair conditions, practices, govermental decisions, growing interlinkage of monetary and political systems, and expressing thier anger at the depressing state of employment conditions and financial problems.
    The companies being named and mentioned are the ones respsonsible for these. A blind eye cannot be turned to these companies just because they're employing some people. They're not looking to shut them down, they're requesting change and fair policies.

RichieC wrote: »
    Something tells me fox noise wont be airing this..

Thanks for that link.

I love to see people who have thier thoughts and motives so organised, who really understand thier position when it comes to something so grand as the issues they are protesting.

I forsakenly admit, I have never been capable of arguing points so reasonable and convincingily in RL as that gentleman right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Go far enough down the rabbit hole and pretty much every company out there is "unethical" in some way.

Nice one tyrant.... You made him undermine his own argument, very crafty :D

Of course.

So businesses/government arent out there for the good of the consumers/people...just for profit and the select few who benefit from that profit. The 1% as the protesters in Wall street call them.

Terrible system, imo. I know the OWS protesters aren't really saying they want a new system they are more focused on the corruption, the baill outs, jobs.. etc.

But you have to see the system is not for the benefit of the majority.

Top priority of business is profit from what I've seen the more unethical companies are they more profits they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

"Shut the **** up , you're white".

Nice.

1 - Because the police are required to obey the law as well as the protestors, and macing individuals who are acting in a non-threatening way is illegal.
    so is loitering , disturbing the peace, verbally assaulting a police officer and causing an obstruction.
    2 - Spend a bit of time reading up on the indiviuals who took out mortgages that they couldn't afford, the institutions that lent them the money, even though they couldn't afford it and the government that allowed them to. All indiviguals who acted greedily and would up not only hurting themsleves but the entire country's economic status.

In short, greed encourages irresponsiblity and creates a bitter, uneven societal model which ultimately leads to injustice which can - and may still - spill over in violence.

As I said, you complain about laziness having not made the effort to study basic social economics or the situation and the motivations behind the protests but instead lazily dismissing them as deserving of the punishment delt out by the police.

Bravo.

the economic situation and motivation behind this protest is misunderstood by yourself and these protesters.

the recession was caused by banks using derivatives to repackage bad mortgage debt into loans that looked good to investors, the banks mis-sold products to investors, property developers and mortgage customers. the government allowed this to happen through a lack of regulation and loopholes in financial regulatory guidelines. the banks encouraged this misplaced dependency on construction by giving quick credit to these new property developers. Every major bank in the world was at this , there was no way every government saw this and didnt question it. Banks are very good at hiding things from regulators and in this case everyone got away with hiding it. the whole thing has come to a head now and its a bad situation , the banks are the primary source of blame , followed by the builders and people who took out these mortgages , the governments in this case are fairly down the bottom of the list of causes of blame for the recession , its how they responded to it.

Now just to get it across , I object to governments bailing out any of the banks , I dont believe in social welfare and I certainly dont believe in this, its just socialism at a higher level, I would never want any government to own the bank I use. If it was my party I would have let the banks fail and wed most likely be in a much better position internally.

These protesters are blaming rich people, capitalism as a system , corporations and banks / government , my objection to the whole thing is the first 3 , the recession is not rich peoples fault , capitalism didnt bail out the banks , corporations are not always evil and even when they are, they didnt cause this recession ,

if these protesters made accurate signs, didnt bother people just going to work and protested the actual local bank branches instead id have less of a problem , from the evidence provided though , this whole thing is nothing more than an attack on capitalism , rich people and corporations , the blame is misplaced and these protesters havent got a fcuking clue

"Shut the **** up , you're white".

Nice.

I didn't bring up race at all. In fact there are people from numerous racial backgrounds at the OWS protest and the other ones around the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I didn't bring up race at all. In fact there are people from numerous racial backgrounds at the OWS protest and the other ones around the US.

Yeah, but that is the next logical step of your argument. Whether you realise it or not.

Advertisement