Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you see yourself having children in the future?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I would love to be a mother. I'm not ready now but in ten or fifteen years I hope to be. I really want to foster and maybe have one or two biological children. I think it would be fantastic. I actually think about it a lot. It's just in me I think. Even though I'm not good with kids I still love to be around them and they don't annoy me. But sometimes I do ask myself should I have them? Just because you want children doesn't mean you should have them. I don't know if I would make a good mother and I certainly don't want to have them if I can't provide for them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

ohthebaby wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't really like children so much, they really irritate me but I always kind of assumed I'd have some of my own. Two at most. I think I would like my own children. I hope I would. It'd be nice to have them. Although I don't think I'd like to have any until I was nearly 30.

This pretty much. I'm not a maternal person at all really, well like I have a niece and a nephew who I love to bits, and I don't mind babysitting, granted I have a regular babysitting job with one of the most well-behaved kids ever so yeah. But anyway, quite a lot of kids annoy me. Well, all the bratty, loud kids do anyway. Anywho, I dunno, when I think about my future I think I see kids, I just feel like my life would be a bit empty without them...but maybe that's just because it's the general consensus around here...I swear, I have a cousin who hasn't settled down and had a family yet and I've heard various relatives offering theories that she's a lesbian. I know.

OK that's going nowhere but long story short, I don't really know whether want kids or not, I suppose I do but at the same time I wouldn't mind too much if my life ended up being career-driven either. Heh this post in one big waste of time.

Also, and you can all hold me to this, I will never have a bratty, stupid kid. Ever. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

This is an issue in which I show the rarely-aired softy side to my personality.:) Kids are great. People tend to think that because people they're constantly popping out left right and center, and that many of them grow up to be tossers, children aren't special. But when you think that the entire 'blueprint' for a human being, if you will, can be formed out of what is a pretty simple (AND FUN) act- all that potential for growth, for knowledge, the mystery of life and consciousness, the great experiences we can have- it's a mind-shatteringly powerful process to be involved in.

No doubt it's hard work, much of which we think goes unrewarded, but being a parent and knowing you helped invite another person into the world and helped them through it, it's fantastic. All those people that we know, or love, or enjoy as people were children once, so it's a great privilege to bring another interesting human being into the world, I think.

I grew up in a house full of children who weren't related to me, that are now like my little brothers and sisters, so I guess I've been exposed to the most excellent things about watching children grow up, that you don't really get to see on a bus trip or that family gathering you hate going to.

At the risk of sounding Michael Jackson-esque, I'll stop here, but sure, when the right time rolls around, I would really like to have children. (ALL YOU FEMALE BOARDSIES OUT THERE, WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Cydoniac wrote: »
    No matter what anyone thinks or says, if I have a boy it WILL be called Noah or Oscar. Don't even ask, it's happening.

I'm going to feed my egomania by naming my children after famous historical figures. Napoleon Julius Vladimir Duffy will be first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

If I have kids I want it to be like Outnumbered. Possibly with a bigger house. And an Aga cos I'm totes middle class <_<
    But then I see kids, like one of my cousins, who are just so...loud and they need to be doing things all the time, and you can't take your eyes off them for a second because they'll jump out a window or set the house on fire or something. And it terrifies me that I too could raise children who are little shits. So I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I don't know, but if I do, name suggestions anyone..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Triplets run in my family.. I don't know whether it's a blessing or a curse..... :eek:

I thought it was the female that carries the genes for triplets and twins and stuff, if I was told right don't be worried :P

I want kids, I definitely want kids! :pac:

I want a lot, like 5, but I don't want them until I'm about 30 and have travelled and everything :P

And I want a house and stuff to raise them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Lawliet wrote: »
    I've never wanted kids. I just don't like them; I don't think babies are cute, children being loud on public transport make me want to get off at the next stop and most of them are complete brats. People say it's different when it's your own children, but I think that would just make it worse: you'd be trapped with them! Your life would have to be put on hold because they always come first. The whole thing sounds like a nightmare.

This times a million.

I can think of very few things that would be worse than me being a parent. I hate kids, I don't know how to deal with them and I hate people thinking I'm strange for being that way. Children rob of freedom, money and (quite often) dignity, and my hypothetical would ruin my life and I'd just resent them for it. I'm not being responsible for another human being just 'cause it's "the done thing".

My genes, to the gratitude of all mankind, are never being passed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

decisions wrote: »
    I don't know, but if I do, name suggestions anyone..?
    Could always do a spin on this one: http://www.newbabynews.net/hospitals/stf33/public/stf33birthannouncement.pl?babyID=h33-440

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I used to be all for the idea. Leaving a genetic legacy sounds like grand old craic, as does the (usually) necessary sex that precedes it. Now I'm not all that into the idea. I don't have an aversion to it but it would probably just follow naturally from the circumstances if it were to happen. I'd have to approach an eligible female though, which is clearly impossible and not worth attempting.

I don't think the younger years are the biggest problem with children. The hardest part for me would be dealing with them once they mature into teenagers/adults. Then they become people, and the thing about people is they tend to have all these stupid problems and feelings. It would be a lot worse being a father because you're exposed to more of this nonsense and you end up in some weird quasi-estranged state if you don't respond in some acceptable manner that I haven't figured out. The inevitable results are kids that hate you and a great feeling of disappointment in what came of your love-seeds.

Of course this all changes when somebody figures out how to distill all of the good personality traits and physical features in one person and put them into another, genetically similar foetus-like person.

Now that I think about it, I don't see much point in a long term relationship that doesn't lead to kids. I'd think if I'm going to spend my life childless I'd rather do it alone so I can go on adventures and shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Hey! That's a perfectly acceptable name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I like the idea of having kids (I'm one of those coo at babies people :o)...but I'll only be out of college at 24, and I think it would be extremely pointless spending all these years working hard just to only work properly for 2/3 years and then start having kids. So it will definitely not be happening before 30!

I also spent so many years babysitting bunches of little terrors though, it really put me off having kids at the time. I think I'd still have them but my kids will not be brats :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I thought it was the female that carries the genes for triplets and twins and stuff, if I was told right don't be worried :P

I want kids, I definitely want kids! :pac:

I want a lot, like 5, but I don't want them until I'm about 30 and have travelled and everything :P

And I want a house and stuff to raise them in.

You'll be hard pressed trying to find a girl who'll happily go through birth 5 times:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

My grandmother went through at least fifteen (her and the husband must have been at it like rabbits).

As for the question, I don't know. The first five or so years would be grand (besides the nappy changing lark) but it'd be a nightmare after that. I was a right little shít up until about the age of thirteen when I copped the fúck on and hopefully made life significantly easier for the 'rents. Seemingly though most teenagers use these years to become über-annoying so it's unlikely that any of my potential offspring would do a jefrey and stop being a twat at a decent age. :/ Passing on my genes would be kinda sadistic too so there's that.

Also, I hope no one plans on naming their son after themselves. Calling someone 'x Junior' has to be one of most cúnty things ever. Come up with a cool name instead like Hilary or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Not till I'm about 35 at the very earliest, and even then, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

I'm going to feed my egomania by naming my children after famous historical figures. Napoleon Julius Vladimir Duffy will be first.

Its about time they brought the name adolf back....

Yes, I want kids, Not right now, but when im 30ish..
    Ffs, Ive picked the names out already... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Calling someone 'x Junior' has to be one of most cúnty things ever.
    Agree with you there. It is better to merely give them labels such as "x_1" and "x_2" etc. What other choice is there when your own name is really good? For example I'd call my kids David_1, David_2,...,David_n. They would get to call me Zero instead of 'Dad'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Davidius wrote: »
    Agree with you there. It is better to merely give them labels such as "x_1" and "x_2" etc. What other choice is there when your own name is really good? For example I'd call my kids David_1, David_2,...,David_n. They would get to call me Zero instead of 'Dad'.

If I could call my kid David_n-1 I'd reconsider my position on this subject! :pac:

Its about time they brought the name adolf back....

Yes, I want kids, Not right now, but when im 30ish..
    Ffs, Ive picked the names out already... :P

You're not the only one:o:p

On the subject of parents calling their children after themselves, I think it's grand as long as there's some kind of variation. For example, my sister's name is the Irish version of my mum's. My brother is called directly after my dad (James) but it works because my dad is universally known to everyone as Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

_meehan_ wrote: »

G'wan, spill! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'd call mine Gorphelia..

G'wan, spill! :P

Haha:o

For girls, I like Etaoin, Doireann, and Sarah. For boys, I like Christopher and Jack. Jack is a hugely sentimental name to me and my family, but there's a lot of grief associated with it so I don't know if it's useable or not. Middle names would probably just comprise of parents and grandparents names, as they do:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

On the subject of parents calling their children after themselves, I think it's grand as long as there's some kind of variation.
    I use to know a grandfather, father and son leaving under one roof who were all called Brian. Everyone called them ole' Brian, big Brian, and little Brian...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I've always loved Alexis for a girl. There are lots of names I like, but that has always stood out. If I was to name them after anyone, it'd probably end up being Neansaí, James and Patrick, my grandparent's names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I'd like names in Irish, I think they sound nicer, well some of them, than English names :pac:

I'd also want to raise my children to be bi-lingual, Gaeilge agus Bearla, in that order >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Would love to have kids some time a good few years down the line, preferably when I've gotten all the things-you-can't-do-with-kids outta my system and kinda feel like settling in a spot. But I'd definitely like to have a family, nothing like the challenge of trying to raise children who'll grow up with good values and happiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

When I was little I used to be obsessed with having tons of children, including twins and triplets, and calling one of my children Brad :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I'd like names in Irish, I think they sound nicer, well some of them, than English names :pac:

I'd also want to raise my children to be bi-lingual, Gaeilge agus Bearla, in that order >.>

Agreed on the first point. My family is named in Irish and I'll probably continue along those lines.
    But I don't know if I could do Gaeilge as a family language tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Lawliet wrote: »
    I use to know a grandfather, father and son leaving under one roof who were all called Brian. Everyone called them ole' Brian, big Brian, and little Brian...

Like this? :p

As for kids, it's really not something I would consider for quite a good few more years. Even if I was older and in a position to think about it seriously, I don't know if I would. It's just... really not something that I have any motivation or compulsion towards, and I suspect I wouldn't be great at it anyway. Despite having one hell of a Peter Pan complex, I feel hugely awkward and useless around my toddler-sized cousins... they're just so loud, and fragile, and primarily exist to produce fertilizer. They're super stressful. My opinions will likely change in some way or another as I get older, but that's my current reckoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Speaking as somebody with an Irish name who wants to spend their life in a different country with a different language I can safely say that none of my children will have Irish names. It's far too complicated. I am called everything over here except my real name because the way my name is pronounced in Ireland, French people can't do them combinations of sounds. Also I don't really like Irish names.

Advertisement