Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Elkhound Or German Shepard

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

hondavfr wrote: »
    i do bring her to the toilet at midnight and again at 07:30 and the kennel is large and i leave paper in one corner and shej will wee on that and then go into her bed. the paper does not get very wet either. i will try bringing her at 3 am and see how that goes and if not not maybe the house for a couple of months. It is not a cold garage by any means either as it is attached to the house. I am learning also.

If you're bringing her out I'd loose the paper as it'll probably just confuse her and slow things down. Getting up and bringing them out is hard but give it a few weeks and it'll pay off. Also she'll be able to hold it for longer as th weeks go by and will sleep longer giving you a rest :) if you're leaving her in the shed you could maybe try a baby monitor for when she cries to go out - I know that sounds mad lol but it might work out better than say you bringing her out at a set time every night? I found with my guy he held it 30-60 mins longer with each week so say week 1 I was bringing him out at say 3:30, week 2 it was 4:30 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I'd agree with TK there with the paper. there are threads here about toilet training that I cant find right now! We picked a spot in long grass where we wanted our girl to go and every few hours took her there and made a huge big fuss of her when she went. we also said "time to go" all the time until she went. there was no putting noses in it or anything like that and we completely ignored accidents and no paper at all.
    now years on it is great. she will never go on the lawn and sprints to the field and when we go anywhere we only have to say "time to go" and she goes straight away.......which is very handy:).

We know you are only learning and we are only telling you these things to save you making the mistakes we have all made. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

'Hurry up' is our toilet code lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

hondavfr wrote: »
    i do bring her to the toilet at midnight and again at 07:30 and the kennel is large and i leave paper in one corner and she will wee on that and then go into her bed. the paper does not get very wet either. i will try bringing her at 3 am and see how that goes and if not not maybe the house for a couple of months. It is not a cold garage by any means either as it is attached to the house. I am learning also.

Lovely pup. GSD's fabulous dogs. Just a tip i found helpfull on the wee thing, i always took the water bowl up couple of hours before bedtime and dont feed too late in the evening, that way ours slept through the night. My GSD sleeps in his crate in the kitchen and as long as he was brought out last thing at night when a pup, accidents were very rare. I'd try not to start a habit of taking the pup out during the night as it can lead to a routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

I am just getting to read all your replies and your advice is much appreciated. She is in the house alot now(more than we originally planned) but she is a really a happy puppy and goes in the car also with us and will never wee in the car either even for a 2 hour spin one day. She still sleeps in the garage for now but if we think it is getting too cold the utility room will be the next option!! She will also walk a little on the lead without too much fuss and has met other dogs also. She will also sit when told(well most of the time), overall she is a clever little thing that is bonding with us fast. Thanks again to you all.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Caoimhín wrote: »
    I know nothing about Elkhounds but I do have a German Shepard, Boo. What can I say, he is the best dog ever. Very loyal, intelligent, easy to train, gentle and kind.
    I got him as a pup and he has not left my side for 2 years. He comes to work with me (im a forester, so lots of exercise) and in the evening he sits by the fire with me.

Boo;Attachment not found.

Aw Boo is lovely, great looking pup!!!!:D

Advertisement