Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Mechanics 1

Options
  • 24-11-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Does anyone have the answers to the 08/09 and 09/10 statics papers? I am trying to work through them at the moment but there are no solutions online so I don't know if I am doing them right. Any help would be much appriciated and there is a free pint if you can give them to me haha. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Does anyone have the answers to the 08/09 and 09/10 statics papers? I am trying to work through them at the moment but there are no solutions online so I don't know if I am doing them right. Any help would be much appriciated and there is a free pint if you can give them to me haha. Thanks.

such a thread exists

let me know what questions and what years and i can see what i can do to help....

(also if you pm me a scanned copy of what you have done, i can tell you if you are doing them correctly/where you are going wrong)

Also change your offer to a free meal and you can have an hour of my time :p

Edit: does John Jarvis still teach that?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

reunion wrote: »
    such a thread exists

let me know what questions and what years and i can see what i can do to help....

(also if you pm me a scanned copy of what you have done, i can tell you if you are doing them correctly/where you are going wrong)

`
    No David Newport teaches it now.
    Meal?? Well......... ok if I get the answers haha.
    I'm really lost in the module so my attempts at the questions are pretty much useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

reunion wrote: »
    such a thread exists

`
    No David Newport teaches it now.
    Meal?? Well......... ok if I get the answers haha.
    I'm really lost in the module so my attempts at the questions are pretty much useless.

people have problems with this module every year.
    You'll learn a little more if you try them yourself.

you should go up to David Newport with your attempt and he might help you or even give you solutions but he certainly won't hand out solutions. Lecturers and teaching staff will be a lot more helpful if you have attempted a question and showed you are making an effort. They may even tell you what to study for the exam.

I'm not going to do 2 full exam papers, I don't think I have the time right now, but I could point you in the right direction or tell you what your doing wrong....

Try talking to someone in your class they might be able to help too

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

PM sent
    Ah! No PM's please!

I needs answers too... :(

405e551cef7a4f26f009f12626e9d567.jpg

• Advertisement

Daniel S wrote: »
    Ah! No PM's please!

I needs answers too... :(

405e551cef7a4f26f009f12626e9d567.jpg

Tough - he's offered a meal/pint. Show your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Any topics/questions you're stuck on in particular?

In general for mechanics, make sure you know how to draw a free body diagram and know what it means. Know the rules for adding forces and moments, and calculating resultants. Understand what vectors are and how to add/subtract them. Know what dot and cross products are.

Having had a quick glance at the 08/09 paper, that much would get you most of the marks on it.

Do not think that learning off some completed solutions to tutorial or past exam questions will help here. That's a secondary school attitude which will not suffice for anyone who is serious about being an engineer. Learn the science behind what's going on and understand that and you'll be able to do a lot more.

Learning stuff off is like throwing sh1t at a wall: some of it eventually sticks but it's not pretty and it won't stay there.

Chimaera wrote: »
    Learning stuff off is like throwing sh1t at a wall: some of it eventually sticks but it's not pretty and it won't stay there.
    I'm going to live my college career by this :D

I'm going to live my college career by this :D

Then get the hell out of engineering and find a course where that style of learning is actually useful!! :mad:

Seriously, anyone who thinks engineering can be 'learnt off' doesn't understand it and shouldn't be studying it!!

Chimaera wrote: »
    Then get the hell out of engineering and find a course where that style of learning is actually useful!! :mad:

Seriously, anyone who thinks engineering can be 'learnt off' doesn't understand it and shouldn't be studying it!!
    It's either you or me missing the point...

I hate learning stuff off. I like to learn by solving problems, which is why I chose engineering. That quote is meant to show how useless learning stuff off is, not how useful. :rolleyes:

Oh ffs.. you made me waste my 1500 post.... :P

• Advertisement

Heh, welcome aboard so :)

I've just seen too many people come into engineering courses with the rote learning mindset to not be terribly cynical about the whole business.

So did you get solutions to these? I still don't know if some of my answers are right or wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ivan Offlcockitch

Can someone even just post the answers to the last 2 years.that shouldnt take much effort..the test is tomoro like and im freakin the bean!:eek:

Can someone even just post the answers to the last 2 years.that shouldnt take much effort..the test is tomoro like and im freakin the bean!:eek:
    AFAIK, most people I know are freaking out. :( Still, google is quite handy.

I have an ebook of the Mechanics 1 book and the solutions to them if anyone wants a copy.

AFAIK, most people I know are freaking out. :( Still, google is quite handy.

I have an ebook of the Mechanics 1 book and the solutions to them if anyone wants a copy.

awh defo!! sound man

awh defo!! sound man
    Sending PM now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NKIT15

hey Dan, would appreciate the e book too if you could. Sulis is still down and i need to check some things

Sending PM now

Don't know what time the exam is but here's some answers from previous years.

Attachment not found.

Don't know what time the exam is but here's some answers from previous years.

Attachment not found.
    THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

so what je think of it?
    happy enough myself actually

ps: anyone feel like puttin up the paper. i handed mine up by accident.

so what je think of it?
    happy enough myself actually

ps: anyone feel like puttin up the paper. i handed mine up by accident.
    +1 and +1 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 duggan170693

Ok it says I got a D2 in mechanics which is a compensating fail as my QCA is above 2 HOWEVER Newport also said anything below 40% is an F , so do I have to repeat this exam? Some1 help please!! :eek:

Ok it says I got a D2 in mechanics which is a compensating fail as my QCA is above 2 HOWEVER Newport also said anything below 40% is an F , so do I have to repeat this exam? Some1 help please!! :eek:
    Shane?

Shane?

Daniel? do you know?

Daniel? do you know?
    Shane Duggan?

Shane Duggan?

no?

D2 is a compensating fail. Percentages don't matter any more, it's whatever grade is on your transcript. If your QCA is above 2.0 then you are not required to repeat it, but you need to stay above 2.0 for the year.

Such a low grade in a fundamental module is something you should be worried about though.

no?
    Nevermind so :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

As far as I remember, Engineering Statics and Dynamics were marked with a D2 starting at 40%. It was an exception to the rest of the modules I did. All the others, a D2 started at 26%.

Advertisement