Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless WPA-PSK & WEP with Vista and XP

Options
  • 26-11-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Folks,

apologies for the not to elegant title, oh and this gonna be a long post.

I'm helping a friend out with setting up their new Eircom Zxyel wireless router and I'm having a bit of trouble. First some topology details; there are 2 computers in the house. The first is an XP PC and the second is a Vista laptop.

I had these 2 devices up and running with the old Eircom wireless router using WPA authentication and all was well until this new Eircom router arrived.

So the first issue I'm having is with Vista and WPA. If I configure the authentication method on the Eircom router to WPA-PSK the Vista laptop will
    not authenticate to the router; I can see a brief connection and then it drops after about 10 sec. On the Vista laptop I have tried all the WPA settings available with no success. As a test I opened the authentication on the router by disabling WEP or WPA and I could access the internet fine. Alternatively the XP PC authenticates fine with the WPA-PSK settings with the router.

I have read that Vista has an issue with WPA-PSK and there might be a solution with a registry edit, however I have also read that the registry edit is not a guaranteed solution, and I don't feel like messing with the registry in Vista as it's flakey enough as it is.

Ok so if WPA won't work on the Vista machine I decided to try the less secure WEP. When I set it up the keys on the router and Vista, the Vista machine connected instantly and sustained the connection as expected.
    But on the XP PC, after adding the keys and changing the settings to validate using WEP the computer connects initially but drops out after about 20 mins. If I shut and reopen the wireless on the XP PC I get another 20 mins, the same if shut and reopen the wireless on the router itself. I'm honestly not certain as to what the issue is with the WEP configuration.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, there must be something up with the way I've configured WEP on the XP machine.

Regards

Ciag

Advertisement