Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Quick update on the road-X-Treme 178s after 3 races in them...

Very light on the foot and great for short races.

Seeing a little bit of wear & tear on the soles, some scuffing on one of the rubber sections (on the heel :eek: can't believe I can heel strike in these, must be when breaking at the end of the race :o)
    Had to pick a thorn out of the sole and it also picks up sharp pieces of grit at times too, so on the non-rubber sections of the sole there's a few little cut marks.

Based on the above, will deffo be keeping them solely for races/track sessions, not a training shoe yet as afraid of how they might wear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sessions, not a training shoe yet as afraid of how they might wear.

interesting, was considering a pair of inov-8's as i've started wearing a lower drop. would mainly be for training runs(don't run a lot of races) so will have to take that into account

mossym wrote: »
    interesting, was considering a pair of inov-8's as i've started wearing a lower drop. would mainly be for training runs(don't run a lot of races) so will have to take that into account

Just so you're aware, I have a few other pairs of inov-8s, with very little sign of wear and tear, both still well up to the job:

Road-X 233 has ~230 miles
    Road-X 255 has ~360 miles

The thing to note is that the Road-X shoes above have a sole that's almost fully covered in rubber.
    The new Road-X-Treme range have only got small pieces of rubber in strategic places to keep the overall weight down.
    I think the Road-X range is good for a training shoe, the problem there being that it only goes down to 6mm drop with a rubber sole. The 3mm drop Road-X 155, has a different, very thin sole compared to the 233. I have tried it on, but just don't like the shoe at all.
    I'd love if they came out with 3mm drop shoe with full rubber sole that you could rely on to do plenty of miles in training.
    As I said, for now, the 178 will be a racing shoe only until I see how it wears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I've been rotating the Saucony Omni 11 (373 miles) and the Asics GT2000 (423 miles) that I got in AK. Find the Asics a bit heavy but I use them for the easy runs and most of the lsr's. The Saucony are my favourite and I do all my races in them. I'm thinking I'll get another pair of them but is there another lighter race shoe that would suit me or do I need a trip to AK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 d.runs

Just so you're aware, I have a few other pairs of inov-8s, with very little sign of wear and tear, both still well up to the job:

Do you find much difference between these shoes regarding heel-toe drop; I'm trying to decide which to try. I currently rotate between Nike Lunarace & Saucony Green Silence for everything (training & racing). Both great shoes but I find they wear down fast.

• Advertisement

d.runs wrote: »

Do you find much difference between these shoes regarding heel-toe drop; I'm trying to decide which to try. I currently rotate between Nike Lunarace & Saucony Green Silence for everything (training & racing). Both great shoes but I find they wear down fast.

Not sure what the heel-toe drop is in the Green Silence or Lunarace, I prefer to do most of my runs in the 233, but I don't hugely notice the difference in drop to be honest.
    I still use the 255 for LSRs or a recovery run if I plan on using the 233s the following day for something a little faster. I fit it in to the rotation to ensure I don't use the same shoe on consecutive days, but if I was to replace it, I'd go with another pair of 233s (unless inov-8 release a 3mm drop training shoe).
    Current Ideal week would consist of:-
    Mon 5-6miles, 233s
    Tue Track, 178s (currently Galway 5k series)
    Wed Recovery 255s
    Thur 5-6 tempo 233s
    Fri Off
    Sat Occasional tempo (this is most likely day to be missed though)
    Sun LSR 255s

So as you can see the 255s fit in the day before the 233s, but I won't be buying them again when they've had their day.
    Nothing wrong with the shoe, it was a great starter on the route to a more minimal approach, but I've progressed from the 9mm drop and don't need it anymore.

Thanks spurs. Lunarace are 6mm drop, Green Silence are 9mm. I'll probably go for the Road X-233.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Just took delivery of Asics GT2000 to replace my GT2170's after 500 odd miles... Got them on offer from Gaastore.com

Road-X 233 arrived today. Ordered size 9 (normal size in other brands) but they feel a size to big. Anyone found this with Inov8's?

d.runs wrote: »
    Road-X 233 arrived today. Ordered size 9 (normal size in other brands) but they feel a size to big. Anyone found this with Inov8's?

The Inov-8 does have a wider forefoot which can lead you to think that it's too big. Also it can depend on how wide your foot is, the narrower your foot the more noticeable the wider last would be.

I would suggest comparing the length of the shoe to your previous ones, this will give you a better idea if its the right fit.
    As inov-8 is all about the transition to a more natural foot strike, this will involve splaying of the forefoot more & more (hence the wider toebox).

You may find you get used to this over time, but the inov-8 is definitely a very different feel initially compared to other brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Gone from being a pegasus 28 doubter to a believer, and now a pegasus 29 lover:p
    Got a nice 'bright' yellow pair ( bright is an understatement really!) on Monday and have done a couple of slow runs with a tempo run tonight.
    I cannot even hear my feet landing in them.
    Doing hi-milage marathon training so they suit my needs perfectly.

Mr.W.
    mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Just arrived, Asics gel excel 33's - a nice bright colour to keep me safe on the country's backroads. :D
    Gonna use them for my shorter midweeks runs and the pegasus29's for my LSR's over the next few weeks to break them in.
    Attachment not found.

This is a fairly handy thread for keeping track of how long I've been using my runners ! :)
    After 9 months of pounding the pavement with my trusty yellow pegasus29's, and being sorely :mad: dissapointed with the excels, I decided to opt for these beauties ...new shoes.jpg...now i know they are a bit uderstated from my last pair , I must be getting older !!
    Pegasus 30's along anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

A few friends of mine always told me to wear Pegasus and Vomero but I always avoided them as they look so clunky...

After picking up plantar fasciitis I reluctantly gave in to getting Pegasus for the extra cushioning in order to be able to run pain free. I must say they really are great. They are plush and cushioned but are also quite light... I think I will be getting a few more pairs as they are such good value at around €60 online...

Still looking for something for shorter faster runs though.. Am thinking Kinvara ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I bought a pair 3 days ago in the Skechers shop in Mahon Point, Cork for €80. Really comfortable shoes, did 2x 5k runs and did a session int he gym with them. Easily the best sports shoes I've ever worn, the run felt really smooth and felt way more natural than running with my Nikes (which are the wrong shoe to run in really).

In the gym I flt I was able to plant my feet really well when squatting and deadlifting and when it came to foam roilling and stretching it felt like i was in socks due to the ease of mobility and flexibility of the shoe itself.

Well worth the money, I think I'll wear them as my usual training shoes and buy another pair if they get worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Hi I have been wearing Nike 3.0 for about 18 months as part of transitioning from Asics nimbus hopeing to end up in an almost barefoot shoe, but I don't know where to go next. I have found the Nike very good but not particularly long lasting, I've gotten 3 marathons and all the accompanying training out of two pairs and they are in tatters now. So the question is what next any advice ?

Hi I have been wearing Nike 3.0 for about 18 months as part of transitioning from Asics nimbus hopeing to end up in an almost barefoot shoe, but I don't know where to go next. I have found the Nike very good but not particularly long lasting, I've gotten 3 marathons and all the accompanying training out of two pairs and they are in tatters now. So the question is what next any advice ?

similar drop (4mm) on this shoe and nice fit. lightweight (less than 7 oz I think) and very flexible. more minimal than the nike. I have the 0mm version but it's a big change down to that from 4mm (tough on the calves and it's less cushioned) - I don't use it a whole lot except for short runs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Balance-Yellow-Trainer-MR10RY2/dp/B008B1083E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1374661231&sr=8-5&keywords=new+balance+minimus+10v2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Got my runners for DCM in the New Balance outlet in Orlando. They cost the princely sum of $ 39 and appealed my to my love of brightly coloured runners (pic doesn't show it, but they are a lovely purple colour :D)

9384155669_04b79d6e21_b.jpg

Also picked up a pair of Pumas, although I think they are more of an all-purpose trainer than a running specific shoe, but I'd say they'd be fine for anything up to 10 miles or so

9384155009_c4ba28ed68_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭tenreds

Looking for some advise on new shoes,started running last year in kayano 17 and loved them,changed to kayano 18 around April but they never felt right but still did a marathon in June in them but since have been getting niggles with hip and lately a pain across top of foot.Going to Dublin next week and going to call into amphking and get a new pair but would like to know what I should be looking for and maybe something different from asics.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Hi folks, does anyone have any experience of changing from ASICS 2170's to the new 2000's?
    Doing Dublin in Oct & only have about 200 miles left in my last pair of 2170's.

Would like to change from ASICS altogether but a bit wary of making a change now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Saucony Kinvara 3 (or 4)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Transitioning into NB minimus zero very slowly..in the meantime I've just ordered another pair of Saucony Kinvara 3 for 64e with free delivery from sportsshoes.com...how bad!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

9722431519_fd591836db_n.jpg

Saucony Peregrine 3 (trail running shoe)

Had these since June and will all the warm weather and firm ground everywhere I only got the chance to give them a spin today.
    I did about an hour (not sure of the distance) of running all over the various trails on Howth hill and I thought they were fantastic. Bear in mind there is zero bounce when you run on the road with them but the grip on the dirt and loose rocks is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Dukie wrote: »
    Hi folks, does anyone have any experience of changing from ASICS 2170's to the new 2000's?
    Doing Dublin in Oct & only have about 200 miles left in my last pair of 2170's.

Would like to change from ASICS altogether but a bit wary of making a change now

Yes did this and ended up in physio with hip bursitis - needed the 3000's instead as I overpronate a lot!!

I made the mistake of assuming the 2000's were a direct replacement for 2170's. Best advice is to get gait analysis done before you make the switch to make sure its right for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Yes did this and ended up in physio with hip bursitis - needed the 3000's instead as I overpronate a lot!!

I made the mistake of assuming the 2000's were a direct replacement for 2170's. Best advice is to get gait analysis done before you make the switch to make sure its right for you..

Thanks Tom, not really what I wanted to hear this close to DCM though!!!:)

Have gotten gait analysis done a couple of times & I'm a mild over pronator.
    Funnily enough I am changing runners this weekend so I'll get my gait looked at again.

I'll probably stick with the 2000's as a total change might not be a good idea with 6 weeks to go

Bought a pair of Skechers go run 2. After a few runs have to say that I'm very impressed.
    Very light at 6.5 oz or so for uk size 9. Minimalist at a heel to toe drop of 4mm. Tried 0mm drop shoes myself before and they are just not really for me - 4mm is perfect. Good ground feel yet cushioned. There is a removable insole that you can take out if you want even more ground feel. Fit is true to size for me and you could wear them barefoot due to the integrated tongue in the upper which means it won't move around or chaff on your feet. Plenty of room in the forefoot for splaying / spreading out your forefoot when it makes ground contact. For comparison, prefer it to saucony Kinvara - lighter than that shoe and more ground feel. The Skechers rocker thing in the middle is not obtrusive as it was in version 1 apparently - you don't notice it at all walking or running and there is no digging into your arch feel. I'm a mid-foot runner anyway but it really encourages that style of running. Overall - really excellent shoe and highly recommended. Durability wise I can't say yet but reports vary from 250 to 400 miles plus but that depends on how much you will notice cushioning going, the surface you run on, your weight etc. It's also not that expensive comparatively - 80 in the shops in Ireland I think and I managed to get a pair with postage via parcelmotel for 60 euro or so on ebay but that was an auction, not buy it now so could have been just lucky. I got the black and grey colour-scheme, the first pic below. Another one is nice too - grey and lime - the second pic.

923254_2Skechers+Go+Run+2+BKGY+Black+Gray+53555+GO+RUN-2.jpg

53555_CCLM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

Hi, I am looking for a few opinions on what shoes to get next...

I have a bit of a thing for trying different shoes but recently I have stuck with the Kinvara 3 as they have served me well. In fact I have just received delivery of my 5th pair from Sportsshoes.

What I am after now is a bit of a change to alternate with my kinvaras to give my feet a break. I have the saucony type A5 for racing and speedwork, which are amazingly fast, I currently alternate my easy runs on the treadmill using a pair of Inov8 Road x 233 which have 1000 kms on them and are still going strong.

I am after something with a 4mm or 6mm drop and suitable for anything from 5 miles to 20 miles on the road. I am not really interested in Nike or Asics as I tend to prefer something a bit different.

Fyi I also have inov8 bare x 150 and the brooks pure cadence which I don't really wear anymore but did like.

any ideas?
    thanks.

ainsyjnr wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for a few opinions on what shoes to get next...

I have a bit of a thing for trying different shoes but recently I have stuck with the Kinvara 3 as they have served me well. In fact I have just received delivery of my 5th pair from Sportsshoes.

What I am after now is a bit of a change to alternate with my kinvaras to give my feet a break. I have the saucony type A5 for racing and speedwork, which are amazingly fast, I currently alternate my easy runs on the treadmill using a pair of Inov8 Road x 233 which have 1000 kms on them and are still going strong.

I am after something with a 4mm or 6mm drop and suitable for anything from 5 miles to 20 miles on the road. I am not really interested in Nike or Asics as I tend to prefer something a bit different.

Fyi I also have inov8 bare x 150 and the brooks pure cadence which I don't really wear anymore but did like.

any ideas?
    thanks.

go run 2 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

glasso wrote: »
    go run 2 above.

Ok, Initially I didn't read your post above as I always thought Sketchers were a bit of a fashion shoe, but I am prepared to give them a chance. I will look into a few reviews. Where did you see them for sale in Ireland so I can try them on?

I see you had the Kinvara's too and you rate the Sketchers more highly. What sort of mileage are you doing in them?

ainsyjnr wrote: »
    Ok, Initially I didn't read your post above as I always thought Sketchers were a bit of a fashion shoe, but I am prepared to give them a chance. I will look into a few reviews. Where did you see them for sale in Ireland so I can try them on?

I see you had the Kinvara's too and you rate the Sketchers more highly. What sort of mileage are you doing in them?

At the moment not too high - 20 miles a week I'd say.

Skechers have a shop in Liffey Valley. Also on Henry st. afaik.

They are also stocked in places like Schuh Dundrum etc but I don't know if they'd have the running shoes there.

Reviews for the gorun2 are pretty unanimously positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

sqgs.jpg

Picked these up on sale as a replacement for my well abused inov8 terrafly303.
    After using the terrafly, which lasted well for 1000km, for a mix of on and off road I wanted a similar shoe with a little more protection.
    These are a 6mm drop (same as terrafly) but have a slightly higher profile and a light rock plate. Sizing is a bit like addidas, which is no surprise seeing as they are the same company, a little on the narrow side.
    The fit was snug so I took out the thick insole and put in a thinner one, this made them so much more roomy. The are a bit more rigid than the inov8's possibly due to the rock plate.
    Only had a half dozen runs in them, longest is 20km on a mixed surface trail and they are nice, grip is only so-so on the slippy stuff but very good on loose stone and even rocks. Wore them on Monday night for a loop with a fast loose single track descent and they were more than up to it.
    Looking forward to trashing them on a few longish trail runs over Christmas to see how well they wear.
    I'll aim to pick up another pair of terrafly in the new year because they are a great shoe as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

So I picked up a pair of Brooks Pure Connect in the sales.
    I was looking something to continue my minimalist transition, I've done quite a few miles (800) in 2 pairs of Inov-8 Road X233's (6mm), which I love. I've a pair of Inov-8 X178's, but them a bit too minimal from a protection perspective, so have only used for short races and the odd session. I've a pair of Kinvara 3's (400+ miles), I'm not a massive fan, find them a bit tall and wedgy and too soft for my liking.

So I've been looking for an alternative to flip flop between my go to ST5's.
    So enter a good price on the Brooks Pure Connect (v1), early days I've only done a couple of 1hr runs, but I'm already liking these.
    They are reasonably light at 233gms for my UK size 10's, a 4mm drop, quite flexible and with the mesh upper quite an 'airy' feel also. The arch support feels quite high and felt strange having being used to the Inov-8's.

So far they are a delight to run in, a very comfortable fit and transition from landing through to toe off is very smooth. Looking forward to racking up some miles in these and happy now I bought 2 :D.

Advertisement