Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competitive swimming training

Options
  • 03-12-2011 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey everyone. I'm trying to get healthy and I've recently quit smoking. I started training for marathon running (first goal is 5K) in 9 - 12 weeks. Slowly building up stamina over time.
    To continue getting healthy and help improve my lungs I want to get back into swimming, freestyle swimming. I haven't done this in years so obviously it's going to take a lot of training. I was wondering if anyone here has maybe done the same and if they'd have any tips for me. Like a good starting point? Reasonable goals? Is there even anywhere in Dublin where they do freestyle classes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Well done on quitting smoking, great that you have a goal to go towards...Have you ever swam before, with a club or just the going up n down a few times?

Down to bare facts, your not going to get results quick from swimming, it will take a lot of effort and continual practice but you have to start somewhere.

How many lengths can you do without stopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KJIAF

mad m wrote: »
    Well done on quitting smoking, great that you have a goal to go towards...Have you ever swam before, with a club or just the going up n down a few times?

Down to bare facts, your not going to get results quick from swimming, it will take a lot of effort and continual practice but you have to start somewhere.

How many lengths can you do without stopping?

Thank you for that. I appreciate it. Oh yeah I was an excellent swimmer. I used to be able to do a good few without stopping, but in fairness that wouldn't have been in competitive lengths. More in leisure / family sized pools. I stopped as I had gotten an operation and as a result I couldn't get my ears wet at all. I started smoking pretty much after that. So it's been 4 years since I last went swimming though.

My short term goal is to just be able to get a good technique back and improve general health. But my long-term goal is to hopefully do it competitively, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

google "swim-to-1-mile"

if you have even moderate fitness and can fit in 3 swims a week it will get you swimming a mile without stopping in (i think) six (or seven) weeks

when you have that under your belt, there was a nice training regime posted by okane1 on another thread
    okane1 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

If you live in the southside, Glenalbyn do adult coaching lane swimming in the mornings and the evening that are handy and cater for most levels (6 lanes different speeds)timetable
    This is by far the best way to improve your swimming as with lane swimming you are more likely to see out the sets and push yourself. Swimming is about putting in the hard yards, its all about time in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KJIAF

Sport101 wrote: »
    If you live in the southside, Glenalbyn do adult coaching lane swimming in the mornings and the evening that are handy and cater for most levels (6 lanes different speeds)timetable
    This is by far the best way to improve your swimming as with lane swimming you are more likely to see out the sets and push yourself. Swimming is about putting in the hard yards, its all about time in the water.

That's actually the pool I swim in! I'm going to have to look into doing these adult coaching swims now, thanks for that. Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement