Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FL22 Offspring

• 03-12-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

hi,
    i was wondering if anybody had any pics of FL22 calves?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 otisleeomal

No but i can stick a few up for ya tomorrow. Have about a dozen heifers calved to him this autumn - easy calved, reasonable shape but im told they dont really grow on that much. Suppose you cant have it every way! Temprament seems just ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

cows 007.JPG

not a great picture but an old picture of a fl22 bull calf he would have been about 6 or 7 months old at that stage.

had a few more since then. I have only good experience of him but I know others have had mixed results.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭BelgianBlue13

thanks very much,are they good calves?

all are good except one off a holstein cow but in saying that his growth rate is fantastic. he just wont win any shows. one off a REQ heifer from a BBX cow is a wee smasher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I know OP you were asking this already ;). FL22 is a very easy calving bull. That's his main selling point. Ideal for young heifers. His calves are OK. What do you plan to use him on, is it heifers or BB cows?

• Advertisement

i have a super heifer in calf to him .she is one in a million.She is a charolais.

see,
    her father is PB charolais ,he is average enough,easy calving.
    her mother is the skinniest bbx cow EVER!
    the skinny cows mother was a friesin,so that explains that but her father was CGG.
    so that super heifer that came from an average charolais bull and a terrible BBX is exactly like CGG.
    Tats nature for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

have a very good calf from him il put up a picture when i get a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

I own a greyhound, and I have an FL22 calf out of a very thick, wide charolais heifer.
    I sometimes, mix up the dog with the calf. Calf is tall, long and has to stand sideways to throw a shadow.:rolleyes:

how do i add a picture on this??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

how do i add a picture on this??

When you go in to write a message look at the icons above the post. Click on the drop down one that says attachments. Where it says upload file from computer press choose file. Then when you find the picture you want click on it and then press upload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 FarmerJoe123

here's one born last year (spring 2011, photo taken last sept.), turned out to be the worst weanlin we ever had, numerous trips to the vet, wasted away in the end, the vet put it down to bad breeding (called it a 'dolly' calf, whatever that means), definitely not down to the cow seeing as she gave us a E1000 weanlin last year with the lim bull 'SIX'...

here's one born last year (spring 2011, photo taken last sept.), turned out to be the worst weanlin we ever had, numerous trips to the vet, wasted away in the end, the vet put it down to bad breeding (called it a 'dolly' calf, whatever that means), definitely not down to the cow seeing as she gave us a E1000 weanlin last year with the lim bull 'SIX'...
    is he from fl22

sounds like more than breading at fault. Could he be a PI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

sounds like more than breading at fault. Could he be a PI?
    +1

he was a weanling from FL22 last year from a belgian blue cow he was 7 months old when this picture was taken 375 kgs. i find him a grand bull but however i have one from him his year and he was very soft neighbour had the same problem with a calf from him. il put this years fella up when i get a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 FarmerJoe123

no bvd anyway, vet tested him for that and a few other things, he just said he wasnt developed right (problems with lungs and stomach for example) and to try our best with him, did recommend not to use that bull with the cow again in case lines got crossed or the genetics didnt pair well together

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CCM

I have six heifers off him this year, all from first calvers, all unassisted. First three were off good sized maine anjou X heifers calved between last week of may and first of June (early Autumn Calvers:o)

Third picture is of three which were born in the first week of November. The biggest one on the bottom left of the photo is again of MAX Heifer, the other two are off fairly butty Simx heifers.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

whats the story with the maine anjou breed.... whats are there strong points??

Saw what the lad breeding them was producing so when I was restocking after been cleared out with TB invested in 6 heifers.
    I consider their strong points to be
    1 good temprement
    2 they cross well to Charolais and BB
    3 good milk (about one third sim)

• Advertisement

CCM wrote: »
    ....3 good milk (about one third sim)
    Do you mean the ones you bought were 1/3 simmental, or the breed in general is 1/3 simm.

pakalasa wrote: »
    CCM wrote: »
    ....3 good milk (about one third sim)
    Do you mean the ones you bought were 1/3 simmental, or the breed in general is 1/3 simm.

The ones I bought were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Anyone keep a heifer out of him or how ye finding the offspring temperment wise? I have had 5 of them, one yellow bull okay(dam is quiet as a lamb) but rest pure headers!!! Have sculled fl22 cattle for other lads and again wired to the moon:confused:

:D
    I have two twin heifers from him (FL22). Stone fecking mad.
    Hardy as hell though.
    It's a pity 'cause his figures are good for milk and fertility.

He does score only 6% within the breed, (97% Rel) for Docility according to ICBF. So maybe these figures have some grain of truth to them.

http://www.icbf.ie/taurus/bull_search/index.php?ani_id=482838445&target=b_type_conf

See a nice cow for sale today on Donedeal by him;
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2787575

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

3 week old FL22 Bull calf out of a Limx heifer. Nice quality calf. Lively lad alright! Our first FL22, couple more due soon!

Bizzum wrote: »
    3 week old FL22 Bull calf out of a Limx heifer. Nice quality calf. Lively lad alright! Our first FL22, couple more due soon!

thats a good lump of a calf for three weeks Bizzum.. id take that anytime from a heifer

:D
    I have two twin heifers from him (FL22). Stone fecking mad.
    Hardy as hell though.
    It's a pity 'cause his figures are good for milk and fertility.

He does score only 6% within the breed, (97% Rel) for Docility according to ICBF. So maybe these figures have some grain of truth to them.

http://www.icbf.ie/taurus/bull_search/index.php?ani_id=482838445&target=b_type_conf

See a nice cow for sale today on Donedeal by him;
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/2787575

I saw that.. he looking for enough for her too though

Ive one black lim heifer weanling (a black greyhound) and she will go down on her knees in the crush and go up under the cows in front to get away from ya.. pure head-the -ball!!

I'd one FL22 that I was considering keeping as a replacement but sold her as she was the wildest/ maddest of the lot of them! Her cow has a normal temperment so I'm putting it down to FL22.

I've a few autumn calves by OMA (alternative easy calver to FL22) that are more civil and I'm planning to use as replacements. I'd a few male weanlings by OMA who were a lot more civil than my FL22 mentioned above. These weanlings had a bit more shape to them than the FL22 who was tall and narrow. In hindsight I recall my AI man making this comment about FL22 two years ago. Is OMA hard to get now?

Unfortunately next year's springers are all in-calf to FL22:eek:

I used FL22 only yesterday on a heifer. There's still a few straws knocking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

i purchased a half bred belgian blue x british friesen cow with two month old fl22 heifer calf at foot last weekend.paid 1750. top class calf very happy with her

anyone have experiance with ADX,might use him this year,is he easy calving because if he is,all the cows will be calving to him then next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mallethead

I have three calves by him two bulls and a heifer
    i had to pull the two bulls
    Brother had 2 both bulls and they needed a serious pull he lost one got stuck at the hips , biggest calf i ever saw and the vet was there
    Nice calves with good shape to them , a bit short and i would say that about them all
    I wouldn't consider him as easy calving as they say
    My brother has a bull breed by the same man who breed adx and i would consider him short as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭limo_100

mallethead wrote: »
    I have three calves by him two bulls and a heifer
    i had to pull the two bulls
    Brother had 2 both bulls and they needed a serious pull he lost one got stuck at the hips , biggest calf i ever saw and the vet was there
    Nice calves with good shape to them , a bit short and i would say that about them all
    I wouldn't consider him as easy calving as they say
    My brother has a bull breed by the same man who breed adx and i would consider him short as well

i dont have adx calving till april or on there. I was hopeing that he would add a bit of height. were thay tall calves?

They are out of big charolais cross cows ,tall enough
    i have some by roundhill saturn around the same age , they would be longer and taller not as much muscle as adx

They are out of big charolais cross cows ,tall enough
    i have some by roundhill saturn around the same age , they would be longer and taller not as much muscle as adx

so you wont be using him again so i take it? i have him on a bb second calver so could end up being fun

• Advertisement

I won't use him again dosen't mean he's not a good bull or you'll have problems
    I got some of epsom this year people tell me he 's suposed to be a good bull so i'll find out next september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I got some of epsom this year people tell me he 's suposed to be a good bull so i'll find out next september

Epson is a good bull to breed replacement heifers.
    If I recall correctly I've used him on heifers over the years. He's around a long time!

I won't use him again dosen't mean he's not a good bull or you'll have problems

hes alrite of a bull but there are far better bulls available now instead of him. I think hes around since the eightys

I have some of panda and Fl25 as well
    what would you recomend for replacements

definatly panda for replacements

• Advertisement

I have some of panda and Fl25 as well
    what would you recomend for replacements

I have some panda calves on the way are yours good?? Iv never used FL25 how do you find him?
    This year so far iv being using FL21 and OZS for replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

limo_100 wrote: »
    hes alrite of a bull but there are far better bulls available now instead of him. I think hes around since the eightys

EPSON is the best all round bull i have ever used. Im just curious as to which bulls you found better results with?

tanko wrote: »
    EPSON is the best all round bull i have ever used. Im just curious as to which bulls you found better results with?

I have used EPN its just i found that he leaves his calves on the small side. We have had good results from hylander and hymour as well as MBU and NSQ.
    But its only really this year and last year that we being trying for replacements so hopefully by may we will have a good few lm heifers on the ground from different bulls and will know which ones suit us best

I'm amazed that you can still get EPN. I thought that tap would be well turned off by now.

I'm amazed that you can still get EPN. I thought that tap would be well turned off by now.

he must have being a fair animal st the jump. He probably had a long live as well. most ai bulls dont live for to long these days

just do it wrote: »
    I'd one FL22 that I was considering keeping as a replacement but sold her as she was the wildest/ maddest of the lot of them! Her cow has a normal temperment so I'm putting it down to FL22.

I've a few autumn calves by OMA (alternative easy calver to FL22) that are more civil and I'm planning to use as replacements. I'd a few male weanlings by OMA who were a lot more civil than my FL22 mentioned above. These weanlings had a bit more shape to them than the FL22 who was tall and narrow. In hindsight I recall my AI man making this comment about FL22 two years ago. Is OMA hard to get now?

Unfortunately next year's springers are all in-calf to FL22:eek:

This is an example why not to go for FL22 or the likes.

Advertisement