Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Probably not the first time I replied to it even

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

Getting bombarded with a new batch of Star Trek: Fleet Command averts lately. This time I'm reminded of the news that Micheal Dorn was going to be doing something regarding this. So far I've seen an advert of a CGI animated version of the TNG crew. An advert where Frakes, Burton, Spiner star as players in their own ships, and finally an advert where Martin-Green fights Bones from the JJ movies (because of course).

All cringe and I really wish they'd give it up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't know how this passed me by as I am a fan of deep space nine, but only heard about the documentary What We Left Behind today. Gonna give it a watch after seeing so many clips on YouTube.

But is it just me or is Nana Visitor like a fine wine. She's 62 at the time of the doc being released and she is amazing looking! It boggles my mind. She was quite the attractive lady when the show started at age 36 but how does a 62 year old woman still have it?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

She looks after herself and has plenty of money. I seen that Doc in the cinema. It was really good. So worth it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Her marriage to Alexander Siddig / Bashir is listed here under under Trek cast hookups

Never realised Belanna was married to Damar pre Voyager.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Basir and Kira together in real life? Ha :D Kind of puts into new light Basir's attempts to hit on Kira early in Season 1 :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It makes sense really; shoot 20+ episodes every year, months on end within each others personal space and yeah, I could see why friendships and more might flourish. The reverse too of course, I'm sure there's an article "10 pairs of Trek actors who hate each other" one could make. The number 1 obviously being Takei and Shatner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

Or Kira shouting "this is all your fault" at Bashir when she was giving birth to Kirayoshi.

Either the head of ViacomCBS wants to kill Star Trek or Kurtzman knows where all the bodies are buried.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hollywood mediocrity has always failed upwards, no conspiracy needed. So long as you talk a good game and the (box office/subscription) numbers are in the black, the executive level doesn't care about the sanctity of the IP. Fans of franchises just have to hope the chief in charge gives a shít about the property: for every Kevin Feige, you got an Alex Kurtzman. I don't think Kurtzman hates Trek, and doesn't want to make bad TV, just that he has no grip on what makes Trek as loved as it is. Lower Decks' head honcho has more of a claim to be in charge.

What's most baffling is it's not like TV sci-fi is holding the idiot ball either; much of it is complex, adult entertainment like The Expanse, For All Mankind to name two; the genre generally considered a legitimate space for storytelling. If not space bound there's often a sci-fi inflection in much highbrow telly - see much of HBO's output these days. Except Trek now, ironically. Depressingly. Now the franchise is as dumb as a bag of rocks.

I still hold out hope Strange New Worlds manages to avoid the touch of blergh of Kurtzman.

I wouldn't care about the sanctity of the IP if current Star Trek was good at least but it seems to be getting worse as it progresses. Strange New Worlds will be the last straw for me, if it's full of the usual crap I think I'll be done with new Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I read they were thinking of doing a Worf centric comedy series and thought ah feck they have to be trolling to us.

Star Treks problem is it's a big brand which Hollywood seems desperate to suck dry for all they are worth. Still good sci-fi out there that is well written and thought out but sadly the big names are lost to the corporate p41c*s

I thought For All Mankind was ropey at first but it really comes into it's own in season 2

CBS: Hmm...seems that current Trek isn't as popular as before, dividing the fan base and kind of wrecking our merchandise potential.

Fans: It's that Kurtzman fella! He hasn't a clue how Trek works! Just look at Discovery!

CBS: Yes, people should look at Discovery.

Fans: What? No..just...look at Lower Decks, that one is good and he wasn't involved.

CBS: So you're saying...he should be involved a lot more?

Fans: Wait...what?

CBS. ...and that funny Trek is good?

Fans: Sometimes, but that's not-

CBS: Thank you! You are right, we need loads more Kurtzman, and he should be making funny Trek shows. Who was that funny guy with the big ears in Voyager? Micheal Dorn wasn't it? Let's get him in on that :)

Fans: F*******K!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Probably not news for some of yous, but I finally found out what happened with Sky One and Deep Space 9 back in the day (this bugged me for years)

I remember watching and loving the show every week but after season 6 ended i saw season 7 vhs videos in Chartbusters to rent around March / April 1999. Thing was, season 6 ended on sky one in April 1999 so i was wondering what was going on?

I knew the show was ahead in the states but as I just found out just there season 6 ended June 1998 (states) and April 1999 for UK. Season 7 was nearly over in the states before the UK finished season 6.

But what's more strange is usually a TV show gets shown on TV then released in shops. Just like it is today. But they couldn't wait on sky to catch up so released vhs tapes ASAP in UK and Ireland Market.. strange looking back.

Had always wondered what was going on.

Ms

Jeez was there no DVDS back in 99? I am sure there was. If not then then not long after it there was because I remember buying a Daewoo VHS DVD recorder and carrying it home. I still have it. It was is quiet a big machine and not light either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

My very first DVD set was in 99, but I remember it still being a novelty. I could only play them on the DVD R+ drive on my Pentium 4 PC, with my CRT monitor + speakers. The quality was....something....

The Playstation 2 launched in 2000 so there were DVDs before that but the PS2 really made them more accessible, I think it was the cheapest DVD player for a long time.

• Advertisement

I think a PS2 was my first "proper" DVD player...or be it the first I could use to run DVDs on my TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

If the above is true, possibly a full year of TREK, starting next week 12th August.

Two minutes in and he hasn't started said anything, skip. Next week seems umnlikely for anything to air, they usually like to get a few weeks of hype going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^

S2 Episode one scheduled to air next Thursday (USA)!

And apparently should appear on Amazon internationally, the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ms

So seemingly there is a Starfleet Academy show in the works which would and could be good if they do it right but could also be terrible too. So let's hope it's the former.

Makes sense as Paramount has said there is a few shows in the works and they really are trying to milk Star Trek for everything they can get from it.

https://collider.com/starfleet-academy-star-trek-series-in-development-paramount-plus/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

IIRC this has been milling around for a few years now but never had a producer or scripts attached. It's bizarre cos a "Trek goes to College" CW style show seems like a no-brainer if the tactic is to hit various demographics (such as kids via Trek: Prodigy). May not be everyone's cup of tea but it's a better idea than a Section 31 show IMO.

What do you mean seemingly. Talk of this has been around for ages now

It's Section 31 I really hope never happens especially if it is based around Kinky Space Hitler

• Advertisement

Michelle Yeoh was recently signed up to a Witcher spin off TV show for Netflix, so if the Section 31 series is still happening, it may be without her. In which case it becomes even more pointless.

Advertisement