Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greystones free event guide.

• 13-12-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭

After a review of the last forum charter update regarding "free gigs/events", we have decided to open the option back up as we feel it is of benefit to the community to know what is happening in your local area.

Here are a few rules:

This thread is for free gigs and events only.
    All posts are to go in this thread only which will remain in and around the top few posts on the first page.
    Any posts for paid events will be considered spam and will be removed, the user will also receive a permanent ban from the forum.

Enjoy :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

Another free screening in The Happy Pear!

This time we'll be showing a must-see documentary The Corporation.

The Corporation explores the nature and spectacular rise of the dominant institution of our time. Part film and part movement. The Corporation is transforming audiences and dazzling critics with its insightful and compelling analysis. Taking its status as a legal “person” to the logical conclusion, the film puts the corporation on the psychiatrist’s couch to ask “What kind of person is it?”

The Corporation includes interviews with 40 corporate insiders and critics – including Noam Chomsky, Naomi Klein, Milton Friedman, Howard Zinn, Vandana Shiva and Michael Moore – plus true confessions, case studies and strategies for change. The film looks at the concept of the corporation throughout recent history up to its present-day dominance.

Date: 18th February, 8pm
    Church Road,
    Greystones

See you there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gourmet Greystones

Gourmet Greystones is on next Sunday 6th May starting at 12pm. There's taster menues from all the restaurants, cooking demonstrations in the Meridian Centre, and talks on everything from Forraging to Butchery throughout the town plus live entertainment and a farmers market, lots of ful for all the family! For full details of the events please check out the Gourmet Greystones facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/gourmetgreystones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gourmet Greystones is on next Sunday 6th May starting at 12pm. There's taster menues from all the restaurants, cooking demonstrations in the Meridian Centre, and talks on everything from Forraging to Butchery throughout the town plus live entertainment and a farmers market, lots of ful for all the family! For full details of the events please check out the Gourmet Greystones facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/gourmetgreystones

Gourmet greystones sounds great today - may pop down

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Was really impressed with Gourmet Greystones this year. Finally the rain held off for a Greystones festival and it really was a great event.
    Congrats are due to the organisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Mullie wrote: »
    Was really impressed with Gourmet Greystones this year. Finally the rain held off for a Greystones festival and it really was a great event.
    Congrats are due to the organisers.

Photos here >http://www.greystonesguide.ie/gourmet-greystones-2012/

• Advertisement

Good few events coming up in local area as part of heritage week starting this weekend

http://www.heritageweek.ie/index.php/whats-on/event-search

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Hi.delgany heritage society are putting on a walk on sat that i cant make but would love to do..it mentions the lost downs village..anyone have any idea where this is? also it mentions a ringfort.is this the one on the west bank of the glen? anyone any idea how to get to this also?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

Maudi wrote: »
    Hi.delgany heritage society are putting on a walk on sat that i cant make but would love to do..it mentions the lost downs village..anyone have any idea where this is? also it mentions a ringfort.is this the one on the west bank of the glen? anyone any idea how to get to this also?

Would live to know also. The website they gave on Heritage Week is offline. I saw a map ages ago, maybe someone here will have a copy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 jungledrums

Newcomers1 wrote: »
    Maudi wrote: »

Would live to know also. The website they gave on Heritage Week is offline. I saw a map ages ago, maybe someone here will have a copy
    Hi All,
    Heritage Week 2012 begins this Saturday 18th August.

Delgany Community Council has registered four events:

1    Delgany Village Heritage Trail 18th to 26th (and all the year)

This is a self-guideed walk which we launched a few years ago. Leaflets should be available in local shops and can be downloaded from our website delganyheritagevillage.com   Contact David at 086 605 2237

2    Walk from Delgany to Downs Hill   Saturday 18th

Meet at Wicklow Arms Car Park at 10.30 am Strong footwear and rain-gear essential. Leaders Sheena and David.
    A shorter return option will be offered at Downs village site. Contact Sheena at 287 6689

3    Historical Tour of Christ Church, Delgany Sunday 19th  and Sunday 26th

The church will be open from 1 pm to 4 pm. Leaflets will be available. Organiser Aileen at 087 837 0322

4    Old Burial Ground & 13th Century Church Ruins Tuesday 21st and Friday 24th

Tours by Laillí between 11 am and 1 pm. each day. Contact Laill at 287 6094

There are many other events in Wicklow and Nationally. See www.heritageweek.ie

Please Note

Our events are advertised nationally and we expect many visitors. So, help us keep the village free of litter. Thank You

Regards
    David

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi All,

2    Walk from Delgany to Downs Hill   Saturday 18th

Meet at Wicklow Arms Car Park at 10.30 am Strong footwear and rain-gear essential. Leaders Sheena and David.
    A shorter return option will be offered at Downs village site. Contact Sheena at 287 6689

Assuming that someone has access to the parking lot here? Last time I passed the gates were closed but I did not check to see if they were locked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Hi all,

Downs village is just south of the western side of the glen of the downs, and up from the grove pub, a good little walk up there is to go from delgany to barry's bridge and up a little set of stairs under the motorway underpass that will lead you to a laneway and the ruined schoolhouse and old downs road, if you go through the big gates on the other side of the road you will come to a field with a small 15th century ruined church in it by the name of St.Mary's, or go up the road uphill beside the big gates and end up at a really nice house by the name of downs lodge, turn right at the fork and you come up to the old fairgreen.

I'd love to go on this walk but I'm working, as I know there's a ringfort up there but dont know how to get to it! Plus, the last time I tried to get to the top of Downs hill I ended up crawling under gorse for a few hours, so would like to see the alternative route! :D (google maps lied to me!)

I don't know much more about the history, but a dude I know from greystones has wandered up loads of times and has put literally dozens of minute long videos on youtube of historic things that you would never find otherwise, and loads of info in the descriptions.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wicklowwolf?feature=results_main

Also, another thing to look at if you're interested are the old ordanance survey maps of the area, which show the village pre-ruination. Here's the interactive map centred on the old church
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,726503,710395,6,7

Thread about Delgany Heritage week events merged.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Nancenet70

GET_CRAFT_FAIR_poster_.jpg

Greystones Educate Together National School
    Craft Fair
    Sunday, November 18, 2012
    11am – 5pm

Please join Greystones Educate Together National School on Sunday November 18th, to kick off their inaugural Craft Fair. Vendors including local
    artists, artisans and craft people will make their way to Greystones with
    their wonderful handmade products. There will be brilliant activities for
    kids, a fantastic Instant Raffle, delicious treats, face-painting and much
    more - the day is sure to be stellar!

The organisers have put together an event that will be fun for the entire
    family with unique stalls offering local handcrafted toys, fine art,
    fashion, home décor, beauty products, accessories, jewellery, artisan food
    and a truly special kid’s craft area.

The school, located in Blacklion, Greystones (opposite Lidl) will offer
    free entry, a Buggy Park, tea/coffee and delicious home baked cookies.

Come on down for a browse, a cuppa and choose some gorgeous gifts for your
    friends, family or yourself! There’s something special for everyone, and
    prices to suit every pocket. See you there!

Like us on Facebook for updates and to find out more about our vendors:
    https://www.facebook.com/GETNSCraftFair

Greystones Educate Together National School Craft Fair
    Sunday, November 18, 11am – 5pm
    Blacklion, Greystones (opposite Lidl)
    http://www.greystoneset.ie/craft-fair/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

woodsy2 wrote: »
    the ruined schoolhouse
    That is actually the old post office. The road there was built specially for the mail coach because the other route (the hill behind the Grove Bar down towards Delgany/N11) was considered too steep, and was extra distance. The coach was one of the fastest in the world, averaging 9mph (wow:)) Dublin to Wicklow. When they passed that building, the horses didn't stop; the driver and the guy at the post office threw the bags at each other.
    woodsy2 wrote: »
    I know there's a ringfort up there but dont know how to get to it!
    There is one rath along Hangman's Lane there, and maybe another on top of the mountain. If you look at the historic OSI map in your link, you can see the lane more clearly. It starts at the northeast corner of the Fair Green, heading north. Still there today, although the two properties on each side of it seem to be slowly annexing it. A lot of the villagers seem to have been highwaymen, and after a police barracks was built at Barrack Lane (more or less below the gardens of present day Glenview Hotel) they were gradually marched up to Hangman's Rock and left dangling above the Glen as a warning to others.
    So...walking up that lane, now a path, come out on the tarred road, which leads to the right down to the gates. Turn left on it, and a few metres after the house, hop across the ditch into an opening in the forest. Continue northwards along the path. At a stone stile, the rath is on your right. Its also visible on that OSI map. Meeting another path now, left turn goes up to Hangman's Rock. Right and then right again takes you back down to the mail coach road, at the stream near where it meets the N11 as a one-way access road.

Just wanted to remind people about the Greystones ETNS Craft Fair happening TOMORROW! Sunday, NOV 18th 11am-5pm

Hope to see you there!!

https://www.facebook.com/GETNSCraftFair?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KatieEgg

Hi all, I have organised a Christmas bazaar in the Charlesland Community Centre (above Puroga) on Saturday 1st December from 11am-3pm.

I know it's only two weeks away & on the same day as the St. David's one so I'm trying to get the word out as much as possible!

There will be books, clothes, toys, games, tea & coffee, baked goods, gluten free goodies, bric-a-brac, facepainting, DVDs, handmade cards & more!

Stalls are only e5 each & the event is free!

Contact me for more info :)

~Katie

GCC are holding their first exhibition of photographs on Friday 7th. December to Monday 10th. of December 2012 in Hillside Evangelical Hall, Hillside Road, Greystones.
    Free admission and everyone is very welcome to visit.
    The exhibition will be open 11 am to 5 pm Friday, Saturday and Monday.
    Sunday it will be open from 2 pm to 5 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just a reminder to John's post above. Hope most readers of this forum can pop in over the weekend! There are some really good shots to look at. :)

25p4g00.jpg

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Will pass on the word to my family. Hope this goes well for you :)

• Advertisement

Thank you to fellow Boardies and everyone who visited the exhibition so far.
    It is open Sunday 2 to 5 and Monday 11 to 5

8250361527_98999ec29c_c.jpg
    Greystones Camera Club first Photo Exhibition 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lisdara

Check out the new art exhibition down at the ormond cinema in Greystones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

Hey Everybody just to let you know The 4th Annual Americana & Roots Weekend is on this bank holiday weekend at The Beach House, It's Free! with loads of Bands playing the whole weekend. The action kicks off Friday night at 10pm! and carries on through Monday. Lots of fun for the whole family. For more info
    http://www.rootsweekend.ie/ and facebook @ Greystones American & Roots Weekend https://www.facebook.com/AmericanaWeekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Can't see anywhere else to stick this but it deserves a mention. Perhaps we could have a stickied 'What's on thread"? :)

gstones-fair-copy.png?w=620

Attachment not found.

Hello all!
    Greystones Educate Together is having their annual Craft Fair here's the info:

Greystones Educate Together N S
    Craft Fair
    Sunday, November 17, 2013
    11am – 5pm

Please join Greystones Educate Together National School on Sunday November 17th, for their annual Craft Fair. After the massive success of last year’s inaugural fair, this is sure to be an even more brilliant community event. Vendors including local artists, artisans and craft people will make their way to Greystones with their wonderful handmade products. There will be activities including a craft area, face painting and archery-- fun for the entire family. There’s a fantastic Instant Raffle, delicious treats, and much more - the day is sure to be stellar!

The organisers have put together an event that will be flush with unique stalls offering local handcrafted toys, fine art, fashion, home décor, beauty products, accessories, jewellery, artisan food and a truly special kid’s craft area.

The fair, which is located in the NEW primary school, in Blacklion, Greystones (opposite Lidl) will offer a café serving up tea, coffee and delicious home baked creations, while visitors can take in a view of the sea.

Come on down for a browse, a cuppa and choose some gorgeous gifts for your friends, family or yourself! There’s something special for everyone, and prices to suit every pocket. See you there!

Like us on Facebook for updates and to find out more about our vendors:
    https://www.facebook.com/GETNSCraftFair

Greystones Educate Together National School Craft Fair
    Sunday, November 17, 11am – 5pm
    Blacklion, Greystones (opposite Lidl)
    http://www.greystoneset.ie/craft-fair/

There is an event this Sunday to support a new local group called Disability Action Greystones : Together! The group is only starting out and would like your help with a bit of a fun afternoon by bringing a Cake to the competition...

2qa3cpf.jpg

Please also see facebook page

pixbyjohn wrote: »

A quick reminder to all about the 2nd Annual Exhibition event this weekend. The event is free so please drop in over the weekend and see that fantastic work by GCC members ....

Last chance to see some nice work by members of Greystones Camera Club tomorrow 2 to 5pm at Hillside Evangelical Church Hall, Hillside Road , Greystones.
    11229156395_1aaf72c97d_c.jpg
    GCC pre exhibition 2013 photos (16) by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Advertisement
Advertisement