Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life on the dole

• 21-12-2011 6:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Life on the dole.
    How is it for you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

great,
    I'm not getting up till 1pm but maybe I'll have a lie in till 2pm,
    choices...choices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Don't do this or you're fucked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Oh good a dole thread

*awaits bitterness, condescension, generalisations and bans*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

It can be compared with the life of a parasite.

<awaits tsunami of condemnation from parasites>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Tis great sher aren't I a foreign traveller working for the public secter too.

That pretty much covers the usual target groups right?

• Advertisement

A pigeon waiting for parasites? Think it's gone beyond that already.

Arawn wrote: »

You're not a black single romany woman so I respect you.

EDIT: These edits are getting too much so I'm going to bed. Single mothers, poles, blacks, swans, germans, chinks etc.

Also Nigerians, Latvians, Ethiopians, great bunch of lads, I don't mean to be racist but, fat americas, etc.

Arawn wrote: »

No you forgot single mothers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Tsunami kill a lot of people now, that's not on.

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Was on it for 2 years, wrecked my head. Saved my dole to move to Australia where there is plenty of work. Loving life at moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Embarrassing and degrading.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Embarrassing and degrading.:(

Really? I doubt it's your fault you don't have a job. Hope you find something soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Was on it for 2 years, wrecked my head. Saved my dole to move to Australia where there is plenty of work. Loving life at moment!
    Saved your dole?
    No offence but thats the best argument I have heard to prove that the level of dole payment is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I find it degrading as well. It makes you feel useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Ah shur, its grand

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

I find it degrading as well. It makes you feel useless.

I think you'ld finding sucking penis in a back alley trying to make ends meet slightly more degrading than claiming back your PRSI contributions, no?

I did.......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Saved your dole?
    No offence but thats the best argument I have heard to prove that the level of dole payment is too high.

None if your business what he does with his dole payment. Would you prefer he lived hand to mouth weekly and stayed on the live register?

If someone chooses to spend €18 a week on beans and bread and save the other €170 it's absolutely no concern of yours.

He saved what he could and got himself back on his feet. Fair play to him, he made sure he is no longer a burden to the state. Your attitude stinks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's tough at times, mentally, but I try and keep positive. If not for being forced to be on the dole, I'd not be getting my writing done. Thanks to being unemployed, I've got one novel done which has already been attracting attention from agents and publishers. I'd never have gotten the chance if I had walked into a job after Uni so silver lining and all that.

Saved your dole?
    bigneacy wrote: »
    None if your business what he does with his dole payment. Would you prefer he lived hand to mouth weekly and stayed on the live register?

If someone chooses to spend €18 a week on beans and bread and save the other €170 it's absolutely no concern of yours.

He saved what he could and got himself back on his feet. Fair play to him, he made sure he is no longer a burden to the state. Your attitude stinks.

And they're off :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

It can be compared with the life of a parasite
    An exceptionally evolutionary successful and predominant form of life on the planet? It seems people on the dole are doing something nature finds highly advantageous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I found that whileon thedole I had plenty of quality fapping time but when I got a job it sucked confining it to just lunchbreaks and while driving to and from work. What makes it worse is its fappping on my own time rather then the taxpayer paying me to do nothing but sleep, drink, take copious amounts of coke and fap.

mackg wrote: »
    And they're off :pac:

Here you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Exactly. Trying to save the dole must be a challenge in itself. Fair play to ya lad, hope you make a bucket load out in Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Life on the dole.
    How is it for you?

How is it for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

I really like it on the dole. Can live ok on the money - even manage to save some as well. Have plenty of time to go fishing and shooting. This is the life for me. House and car are paid for so happy days. Best career move I ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Saved your dole?

nah he probably had a cash in hand job while he claimed the dole which was why he could afford to save his dole :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Life on the dole.
    How is it for you?

Great. I'm learning to speak a new language called African.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

All people on the dole are scumbag leeches on society who are just to lazy to go out and find work. What's wrong with Dunnes or Supermacs?

Lazy people have ruined this country! :mad:

*Hides fact he was on the dole up until a month ago.*

:pac:

I found the dole easy to manage on, was never stuck without money because I balanced myself and I live in place with cheap rent. Though at the end of the month with bills and rent it doesn't leave you with much at all.

It's the attitude and stench of superiority of others who look down on you like royalty looking down on a disease-ridden hobo that makes being on the dole degrading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Great. I'm learning to speak a new language called African.

Picturing the scene now at a Nigerian Border control post...

So you're Irish...

...and you're looking to claim asylum here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

I'd say this thread will really get going around 13:20..when the nice people on the dole get up especially to watch Home and Away and realise Neighbours is on instead..and so head to boards for some afternoon entertainment before the late afternoon rush of the daily show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I would imagine it would be great for someone who doesn't want to work or down right frustrating, boring and broke for those that do.

Personally I would like it for a short while but no longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Life on the dole

I think I see both angles. I see how my Dad hates it and would give anything to go back to work.

On the other hand, my housemate was on the scratcher for six months. He smoked dope all day, wen out 4/5 nights a week and just had mad craic.

In conclusion, life varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

nah he probably had a cash in hand job while he claimed the dole which was why he could afford to save his dole :rolleyes:

I'll give you a tenner, PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...the Roman Senators used to have paid retainers called clients who were paid to do nothing but be available to cheer their Senator in public, spread rumours, run messages on a casual basis and be in other ways supportive of their senator. The emperor used to hand out bread and free tickets to the games to keep the mob happy and stay in power......

.....nothing has changed.

I think dole should be structured as a basic income for all with people being able to pick up and do casual work when available. Taxes should be on spending and simplify the income tax code to make it workable. The idea of losing your payment for 9 weeks puts people off taking casual work. The present system is too complicated and inflexible for most people.

Some schemes are heading that way but the idea of getting money for doing nothing and then losing it when you are not sure of being paid ( dodgy companies, waiting to the end of month for salary while getting no money etc. puts a lot of people off taking up work unless it is a big established company and a guaranteed 40 hr week......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

:( this thread makes me feel worse. All the generalisations. Theres no jobs - I`d gladly work in dunnes penneys etc Theres no training option because I have a level 8. I`m bored and lonely I find myslef wandering around aimlessly because I have nothing else to do. I am not the confident person I was when I worked and I miss that. I almost feel apologetic for my existance at the moment.

But on the bright side I`m pregnant and that for me is a miracle whenever it happens so although I don`t have the money to offer my child the opportunities I`d like I do have time and love to give them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Saved your dole?

He was probably living with his mammy and he had no expenses. Mammy bought him food, paid the bills.
    It happens at home with my brothers and mother. All the money they get, they piss it away. Or save to buy a car and go on holidays to australia. But in my house, if you have a pair of tits and a fanny, you have to cough up money. There isn't a hope of saving if you're a girl.

Anyway im not at home. Im a student on the back to education allowance which is the same as the dole and i can tell you its not to high. Im just about surviving on it and thats without drink and buying clothes. €60 a week on rent, €30 a week on bills, €30-€40 on food, €30 on bus fares.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He was probably living with his mammy and he had no expenses. Mammy bought him food, paid the bills.
    It happens at home with my brothers and mother. All the money they get, they piss it away. Or save to buy a car and go on holidays to australia. But in my house, if you have a pair of tits and a fanny, you have to cough up money. There isn't a hope of saving if you're a girl.

Anyway im not at home. Im a student on the back to education allowance which is the same as the dole and i can tell you its not to high. Im just about surviving on it and thats without drink and buying clothes. €60 a week on rent, €30 a week on bills, €30-€40 on food, €30 on bus fares.

You get free sugar though, so there's that.

Yeah see

This is why "your ma" is so prominent a comment on After hours, Irish men mother lovers to the end and this is why.

I do hope and expect that you will treat your sons the same way.

Irish MAs they're great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Thats all anyone should expect from the dole, it should enable you to survive no more no less.

It is not for lining drug dealers pockets a la a previous poster's house mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Pure sh!t, no money, selling anything thats not nailed down to get some pressies for the lads for Christmas, old clothes and no new ones on the horizon, mortgage arrears (awaits no one forced you to get a mortgage brigade) canceled sky, went off the smokes (good thing I know).

Afraid to answer the door, feeling of self loathing, not opening envelopes any more etc etc..

• Advertisement

bryaner wrote: »
    Pure sh!t, no money, selling anything thats not nailed down to get some pressies for the lads for Christmas, old clothes and no new ones on the horizon, mortgage arrears (awaits no one forced you to get a mortgage brigade) canceled sky, went off the smokes (good thing I know).

Afraid to answer the door, feeling of self loathing, not opening envelopes any more etc etc..

Tough man sorry to hear, I really hope it gets better, but don't lose heart and keep looking it will get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I was never on the dole but there was a period like 4 weeks when I had no job - The first 2 weeks were great but after that it got so f*cking boring -

I think the key to being on the dole is having no job ( I joke, I joke) but really just keep occupied and have social interaction - If not you'll find yourself bored, depressed and have no confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Life on the dole.
    How is it for you?

Deadly, I get €186 a week for myself and 3 children, if after bills I have maybe €20 euro for shopping its a good week.

Thank god its not snowing ,i d hate to think what I would do if I had to keep the heating on.

Other than that its great, no worries at all unless you count tryong to feed the kids.

The dole , sure its too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Bryaner, sorry if I am stating the obvious, but have you gone to your bank? I have to start paying my mortgage again in March and there is no way I can do that while doing an internship and getting €238/week. I could pay it if I spent €20 a month on food/bills etc etc so not possible. I am going to negotiate a reduced rate with them.

I know it is hard to look beyond the bleakness of your situation, but this isn't forever.

I really hope you have a lovely Christmas. You have your family and that's more important than the latest toys or clothes. You are doing your best, be proud of that.

Bryaner, sorry if I am stating the obvious, but have you gone to your bank? I have to start paying my mortgage again in March and there is no way I can do that while doing an internship and getting €238/week. I could pay it if I spent €20 a month on food/bills etc etc so not possible. I am going to negotiate a reduced rate with them.

I know it is hard to look beyond the bleakness of your situation, but this isn't forever.

I really hope you have a lovely Christmas. You have your family and that's more important than the latest toys or clothes. You are doing your best, be proud of that.

Thanks sunflower, yea we were with the bank again last month looking for interest only for another 6 months still waiting to hear back from them, I'm doing an Open University course at the moment in the hope it opens up new avenues for me (pending I pass it).

Thanks for your kind comments and I wish you and your family a happy Christmas and lets hope 2012 works out for all looking for work..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Thanks sunflower, yea we were with the bank again last month looking for interest only for another 6 months still waiting to hear back from them, I'm doing an Open University course at the moment in the hope it opens up new avenues for me (pending I pass it).

Thanks for your kind comments and I wish you and your family a happy Christmas and lets hope 2012 works out for all looking for work..:)

Well done on the course. I am the same with my internship. The career I worked in for 15 years has gone down the pan and jobs are as scarce as hen's teeth, hence the new marketing internship.

I am loving it!

I am glad you are keeping the banks in the know. I don't understand people that just turn a blind eye. It isn't going to just go away. You have to make an effort and that is all you can do. You can't magic money out of thin air!

Keep the chin up, you aren't alone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Duggy747 wrote: »
    All people on the dole are scumbag leeches on society who are just to lazy to go out and find work. What's wrong with Dunnes or Supermacs?

Lazy people have ruined this country! :mad:

*Hides fact he was on the dole up until a month ago.*

:pac:

I found the dole easy to manage on, was never stuck without money because I balanced myself and I live in place with cheap rent. Though at the end of the month with bills and rent it doesn't leave you with much at all.

It's the attitude and stench of superiority of others who look down on you like royalty looking down on a disease-ridden hobo that makes being on the dole degrading.

dunnes or supermacs wont employ you if your irish... you need to be polish at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

No way. My mates been on the dole fo 2 years plus. He goes out all the time, buys drink, fags etc. There have been PLENTY of ops for him to apply for jobs in the last 2 years and he hasn't bothered. Why ? Because why get a job in a shop or cleaning or something he doesnt want to do when he can get the dole for doing nothing. He's happy as Larry.

And it is our business because its tax payers money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

30Min wrote: »
    No way. My mates been on the dole fo 2 years plus. He goes out all the time, buys drink, fags etc. There have been PLENTY of ops for him to apply for jobs in the last 2 years and he hasn't bothered. Why ? Because why get a job in a shop or cleaning or something he doesnt want to do when he can get the dole for doing nothing. He's happy as Larry.

And it is our business because its tax payers money.

And he is entitled to spent it how he wishes, it is none of you business what he spends on it, if he wants to spend it on magic beans that's is business.

Well done on the course. I am the same with my internship. The career I worked in for 15 years has gone down the pan and jobs are as scarce as hen's teeth, hence the new marketing internship.

I am loving it!

I am glad you are keeping the banks in the know. I don't understand people that just turn a blind eye. It isn't going to just go away. You have to make an effort and that is all you can do. You can't magic money out of thin air!

Keep the chin up, you aren't alone :)

Fair play to you on the internship and great to see your enjoying it, I was in a similar situation with my job with 20 years service and kaboom up she went hence why I'm trying to diversify.

You would have no problem getting a job as a life coach sunflower..;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement