Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Providers Oranmore

Options
  • 26-12-2011 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hi guys,

We just moved to renville village in oranmore and are looking for a decent broadband provoider.

We had upc in the city but they have no bb in renville.

There is a landline from eircom (not activated) but we dont want to use them as i think the service is very poor.

I think the usb broadband`s is too slow also and the traffic allowance is too small.

I`m looking for something like 4+ mb download speed with 20+ gig usage.

Does anyone know someone around that area or maybe has an alternative provoider to eircom ?

Any reply`s are greatly appreciated !

Thanks guys ! :)

t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you try searching the BB forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Hi there,

Just wondering who is best to use for Broadband in Oranmore? I've checked with UPC and they don't supply broadband there. Please tell me there's an option other than Eircom! Not keen on the mobile internet either..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Digiweb (DSL or fixed wireless) or Airwire might be worth considering if you don't want to touch Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭tphase

check out lighthouse networks. Been using them for a few years and find the guys to be dead sound.
    http://lightnet.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stauntj

hi there, we must be neighbours, we have lived in renville for over two years, im still looking for a decent broadband provider, been with vodafone all this time, their claim is up to 3mb but actually only get 1mb, kinda ****ty, havent found a better alternative yet but i live in hope! The allowance with vodafone is 40gb. Tried o2 mobile broadband, its terrible out here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

tphase wrote: »
    check out lighthouse networks. Been using them for a few years and find the guys to be dead sound.
    http://lightnet.ie/

I'd second the recommendation for LighHouse Networks. Very good levels of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wolfgang

Hi, in Oranmore and we've been using Digiweb for the last few years. It's 8GB for 40 euros a month. Very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭tphase

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

wolfgang wrote: »
    Hi, in Oranmore and we've been using Digiweb for the last few years. It's 8GB for 40 euros a month. Very reliable.

How do u mean 8gb?? is that the dl limit per month?!!

Hello all, i'm happy to see some other people so close discussing my problem.
    I'm currently using 3mobile broadband, which my contract is coming to an end next month. using mobile broadband was only supposed to be temporary, but I really want to get back to 'always on' proper broadband.

When I was viewing my place in bluebell woods I literally gave my nod on the place to my girlfriend because I seen the newly installed UPC box in the corner. Alas when I rang them they informed me they provide tv services only to the area!!!! FMFL.COM

Does anyone have any legitimate reasons why I shouldnt go with Eircom,
    I'd prefer actual DOWNLOAD/UPLOAD issues or specs.

I was looking at lighthouse and they're pretty dear for the dl-cap...

Or has anyone in the area found a decent providor yet, for:
    streaming online video, ps3 gaming etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Not sure why people have a problem with Eircom.. I have used them for a fair number of years, and have had little to no problems. This is in contrast to other ISPs I have experience with, all of whom had issues during much shorter timescales.
    I'm not blindly touting Eircom as being wonderful. They're not. They're expensive, their current routers are rubbish (Zyxel) and their network is not amazing, especially if you like a bit out, as I do, but in the 10 odd years I have used them, in 5 different addresses, I haven't had more than an hour of downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SR1

jamezito wrote: »
    hi guys,

We just moved to renville village in oranmore...

Hi there,

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Renville Villege. I see that the BER rating is extremely low and that the houses have storage heaters which are expensive to run. Just wondering how you got on over the winter? What were/are your electricity bills like? Are the houses very cold? Drafty? Difficult to heat?
    Also, how did you get on with the Internet in the end? Did you find a suitable provider?

Any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

I see that someone mentioned wireless broadband.

The trick with wireless boradband is a decent ariel. Make sure it is big enough for th e signal or you will have low speeds. Make sure that they also use proper quality cable as this can also affect speed. Satallite grade cable is best as it doesn't loose as much signal as other cables.

SR1 wrote: »
    hi guys,

Hi there,

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Renville Villege. I see that the BER rating is extremely low and that the houses have storage heaters which are expensive to run. Just wondering how you got on over the winter? What were/are your electricity bills like? Are the houses very cold? Drafty? Difficult to heat?
    Also, how did you get on with the Internet in the end? Did you find a suitable provider?

Any help is appreciated.
    you probably dont want to know 10 months later but I can tell you that yes the BER rating tends to be quite poor in the houses in renville village, although the two bedroom houses are quite compact and the main living room is easy to keep warm with a fire. The storage heaters are not great, might aswell throw the money in the fire. The 3 bedroom houses have very big living rooms and are very hard to heat, especially with french doors at the back letting in a draught. The houses with a stove are better. Storage heaters in these 3 bedroom houses are an even bigger waste of time. Heating bills very much depend on how mush you use. Our max two month bill for the winter in the two bed was 400 although other neighbours paid 600. In the summer it was 150 to 200 for two months. Currently living in a three bedroom expecting to have large bills this winter.

As for broadband, still no one has come out this far to provide a decent broadband. MY current d/l speed is 1.19mbps, just tested. It is reliable though and spend 37 euro for home phone/broadband with unlimited download through vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eddiestanton

Only a fool would buy any of the property in Oranmore, Oranmore people by reputation are the worst people in Galway to deal with and everything built out there during the boom was thrown together and is now falling apart (like my own flat out here) not to mention if you live there you are going to be scammed in to paying extortionate fees for estate management and refuse collection, avoid Oranmore at all costs for broadband or anything else, you are going to get ripped off, that's the Oranmore way

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eddiestanton

SR1 wrote: »
    hi guys,

Hi there,

Also, how did you get on with the Internet in the end? Did you find a suitable provider?.....

Any help is appreciated.

get out of there quick, its a scam, no insulation and poorly built, they get away with murder out here because certain politicians out here made a lot of money out of selling those houses at big prices to fools in the good times who were sucked in to believing they were moving up the social ladder buying in oranmore but essentially they were scammed

as a renter its alright though, yes they are poorly insulated in renville village but the bins are paid for, some houses have stoves and you get to live beside a nice park. Id say some people moved out here for quality of life not just for status. So you dont recommend buying in oranmore then? But surely its countrywide houses being thrown up badly during the boom not just oranmore. I hope you have calmed down since new years eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brennyc1977

- As for broadband, still no one has come out this far to provide a decent broadband. MY current d/l speed is 1.19mbps, just tested. It is reliable though and spend 37 euro for home phone/broadband with unlimited download through vodafone.

Hi I've just moved out here to Renville Village, can you tell me is this the mobile broadband from Vodafone that you have?? With stick or modem thing?

I am PAYG with Vodafone and my mobile data doesn't even work in my house so I'm worried about how to get internet in there.

I don't need a phone but there is a phone connection point in my house.

I've searched through the Vodafone site but maybe I was put off by the 10GB limit on their mobile BB.... we like streaming the footy!

I need to get connected soon or my kid will kill me!!!!

Any advice would be great....;)

Thanks

no, its not mobile broadband. it works through a home phone. I had 02 mobile broadband out here before, had to take it back as service too unreliable out here, I was wondering did vodafone mobile provide better mobile coverage out here but I guess you answered my question.

There is no Upc out here and wimax are still not in the area to the best of my knowledge. You will need home phone broadband, to the best of my knowledge vodafone have one of the best packages available at the fairest price and the customer service is ok. Unlimited downloads is important if you are streaming as some packages are capped and will charge you quite a bit for going over. Things generally dont stream that well out here. Some hd youtube videos still lag on me, it'll be a tough transition if you are used to UPC.

Hope this helps, enjoy the neighbourhood and the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brennyc1977

It does help thanks!

I have 15.95 mbps at the moment with UPC so it will be a shock to the system. I will be living in RV temporarily so I'm sure I can survive for a while... I like the place, great park and nice and peaceful...house is a bit cold but hasn't been lived in for a couple of months so hopefully will warm up a bit when I get the dreaded storage heaters going...

Hmmm if I am going the fixed line route then I might enquire about sky as well as I will also need a TV provider... or eircom....

Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement