Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

One white guy headbutting a black cab driver a racist population does not make.

Yes, I agree. I am certain that the vast majority of people in Ireland are still fair-minded and mannerly. Unfortunately, as in every country, we have our share of ignorant, small-minded people, who behave like the sh1tty little creeps that they are. One has to wonder what virtues or qualities they have that make them feel superior to a person with black skin. The Nigerian taxi driver in the news article, for example, is an accountant; in other words, probably better educated than most if not all of those thick yobs from the arse end of Clare who refuse to get into his taxi.:rolleyes:

Apart from a problem of yobs, who demonstrate their yobbishness in numerous ways that include racist behaviour, we clearly have a major scumbag problem and a justice system that seems incapable of dealing with it.

Thus a person with over a dozen previous convictions viciously assaults a man who is just working to earn a living, causes him grievous bodily harm and yet receives a slap-on-the wrist sentence that will have him back on the streets again by mid-summer. There was no mention in the newspaper report of any obligation to compensate his victim for the medical expenses and loss of earnings caused. How long will it be before this thug assaults someone else, and possibly kills him or her?:mad:

The great pity is that our minority of racist scum are blackening the reputations of all of us Irish people and do not make life any easier for us who spend a lot of time abroad.:)

I use taxis a lot in Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn and would never dream of taking any other than the first one in the rank. If I were to skip one because the driver was not white, in all probability the others would refuse to take me, as I would have clearly demonstrated that I was a racist, troublemaker or just a problematic sh1t.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Leftist wrote: »
    I was in a pub in clare visiting relatives a few years ago.

One guy was there with his pregnant asian wife.

My cousin and friends were sneering at him and muttering insults.

I thought it was pathetic and asked them why.

They said he used to hang around with them until he got that mail order bride.

To think those two people would be bringing a mixed race child into that community.

Geniunely honest story, that is what they told me at the time.

Guy I know through work is married to a thai girl he is about 55 she is about 28. Bloody cracker! lucky git ! Its just a coincidence he has a few bob though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 limerickbanter

I think personaly that its a disgrace, Im of mixed race half black half white. I was out one night with my white boyfriends friends we were trying to get home from a night out there was only black taxi drivers so they avoided getting in the car they chose to stay outside in the cold rather than getting in the taxi. It made me sick I had never seen that before. I thought these people were lovey and genuine until I saw that. It made me think inside everyone there seems to be a racist streak. But why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think personaly that its a disgrace, Im of mixed race half black half white. I was out one night with my white boyfriends friends we were trying to get home from a night out there was only black taxi drivers so they avoided getting in the car they chose to stay outside in the cold rather than getting in the taxi. It made me sick I had never seen that before. I thought these people were lovey and genuine until I saw that. It made me think inside everyone there seems to be a racist streak. But why ?

So whats your opinion on Roma gypsies and travelers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

It made me think inside everyone there seems to be a racist streak. But why ?
    it's easier to hate than to care or understand ... and people are stupid lazy and greedy ...

limerickbanter, are you still in a relationship with the boyfriend who has racist friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Race may have little to do with it. I've been in plenty of non local taxi's that haven't a clue where they are going and chances are if I'm in a taxi im not familiar with the city so don't ask me for directions.

Also some people are racist, it's not nationality specific.

This is exactly what I do, nothing to do with colour, just need to know that the driver knows exactly were he/she is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Unfortunetly it's in most irish people, especially in the direction of your location (if your username is an accurate indication).

There are some people on this very thread that would judge you based entirely on your skin colour. Your father or mother, whomever is black, would get even worse because 'they can't speak english and over charge for services'.

it's absolutely disgusting and you have my sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

People skip the Black taxi drivers because you can't see them as well at night and you think the taxi is empty. :pac:

Really though, Ireland just is not the racist hellhole every white knight tosser looking to prove how anti-racist he/she is, claims it to be. If it was then foreigners would have left/stopped coming here long ago. You don't see many whites moving to South Africa in their droves.

There's a right wing "movement" trying to get going though. They went to the Brit embassy the other day to rally support for Emma West.

Four people showed up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Rise above it. My little cousin is 13 now and of mixed race and lives in a fairly dodgy part of Dublin. I hope she doesn't encounter any of this nonsense.

• Advertisement

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    This is exactly what I do, nothing to do with colour, just need to know that the driver knows exactly were he/she is going.
    do you ask them before they set off or assume that as a 'foreign' they must not know despite passing the test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

really? described a black person as coloured has no racial implications to you? By describing someone as coloured you are basically lumping all non-whites into a bracket. Really nice. Whites and non-whites, that's the division.

I don't buy the excuse that it was fine in the past. Hanging black people was fine in the past.
    The issue of Racism is about how people are treated. It's about fairness or discrimination. If you aren't a racist, you treat all people equally well - but it does not mean you have to pretend that everyone's skin is the same colour: it isn't. It does not require you to pretend that there are no races, or differences between the races: there are differences. It means that race is not a factor in how you live and work with people.

In the UK today there's a bit of a kerfuffle, after Labour MP Diane Abbott said the following on Twitter:
    White people love playing 'divide & rule'. We should not play their game #tacticasoldascolonialism
    Did you notice how I referred to her as a Labour MP, but did not refer to her skin colour? I didn't because I didn't need to: you already know, from what she said. She's being (rightly) lambasted from all sides, including her own (politically), and may even be forced to resign. I think there is some truth in what she said - the Colonialism bit - but, as the Irish should know, British Colonialism was not fundamentally about race.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

Ive rose above it everyday of my life, Im proud of my nationality and woud never change that. I belive in people and I believe that everyone deep down is a good person. I work in customer service I speak to loads of people daily. I grew up in a crappy part of Ireland and had to stick up for myself all the time since I was a child and for what? cos people are narrow minded and "cant see me". The excuse of they dont know were there going is ridiculous there taxi drivers its there job. Im sure there fully capable of following a road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Two words (or is it one): Sat Nav. Anyone can drive a taxi, you don't really need to know the whole of Dublin. I've lived in Dublin all my life, but if someone jumped in my car and said "Terenure" I'd have to think about it, cos I'm from the northside and not as familiar with the southside (or how to get there the quickest way).

I experienced this racism once. I was walking by the Shelbourne where the taxis were lined up, and there was obviously an argument going on about who was first in line, between a white Irish taxi driver and a black guy. Now, that's fair enough, if someone is wrong or skipped the queue then yeah, give out: But the guy shouted out "ya black bastard" as part of his argument.

Now I wasn't gonna let that go so I called out that there was no need for that kind of talk. He said it wasn't my business (which was probably true) but I said I'm making it my business. Now, I'm 6'5" and pretty big so he backed off. And that was that.

About 10 minutes later I was walking back passing the same rank and the black guy was in his cab, giving me a big thumbs up, the Irish guy was leaning against his car talking to two other guys, I thought "here we go", but he didn't say a word to me as I walked by.

Chicken sh*ts is what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I used to get a late night taxi from Dublin to the outskirts alot in my early 20s.

I'd say 9/10 times the taxi driver would drop hints about how he or the garda would catch runners or how he might have a crowbar under his seat if anyone tried anything. Never really threatening me but always giving me the idea that running or hitting him would be a bad idea.

Seems like they were ****ting themselves.

Started making a bit of fun out of it. Was great when there was one of the lads in the car with me.

Just take a turn into this estate. it'll be over soon etc.

never did anything but they would sweating by the time I paid. They were actually delighted we paid.

as long as you get your kicks, that's all that matters ( no wonder the country is the way it is) :rolleyes:

davoxx wrote: »
    do you ask them before they set off or assume that as a 'foreign' they must not know despite passing the test?

Eh, I ask them to leave me to the place and if they don't know, I move on to the next one. Same as any other driver.

However even this is perceived as racist.

• Advertisement

davoxx wrote: »
    it's easier to hate than to care or understand ... and people are stupid lazy and greedy ...

limerickbanter, are you still in a relationship with the boyfriend who has racist friends?
    That shouldnt be the reason life is too short to hate. But yes I am. But his friends arent worth my time.

bnt wrote: »
    It does not require you to pretend that there are no races, or differences between the races: there are differences.

Wow.

What if a black person adopted by Irish parents and raised all his/her life in ireland, by your definition, he/she is different from the indigenous colleagues because of his/her race.

Absolutely disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Unfortunetly it's in most irish people, especially in the direction of your location (if your username is an accurate indication)

What qualifies you to make that sweeping statement?

Minstrel27 wrote: »

classic irish victim mentality that.

Lets ignore racism from irish people towards blacks and turn it into oppression of poor white irish people.

Its more of a fact than a statement, no use not seeing how others think and how others percieve people, Its better to know and try to change it than living in denial with your eyes closed.

• Advertisement

That shouldnt be the reason life is too short to hate. But yes I am. But his friends arent worth my time.
    life is too short, but people don't want to spend time to learn, so they hate.

regarding his friends, maybe that says something about him if he is willing to tolerate that, but then again maybe his friends are not racist and just ignorant and assume that a black taxi driver does not know the area ...

but yeah, everywhere you go, there will be racists, from school kids to the government officials. hell there are racist gardaí, but the problem is that most people ignore it and still hang out/work/be friends with these people ...

it's kinda ironic considering how many irish left irleand and were badly treated elsewhere think NINA ...

Its more of a fact than a statement, no use not seeing how others think and how others percieve people, Its better to know and try to change it than living in denial with your eyes closed.

As someone of mixed race living in that enviroment I wonder who has more experience of this, limerick banter or minstrel (nice choice of name btw).

Oh but the poor irish, 800 years and soup kitchens 150 years ago make us the blacks of europe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

realies wrote: »
    I use taxies quite a lot,Most of them are white drivers most of them are sound,Doesn't bother me in the least where the driver is from,If you don't like the attitude of the driver and he is going on & on tell him to pull in or/and report him.The generalising here of Irish taxi drivers here is a bit OTT imo.

I completely agree with you. The generalising of Irish taxi drivers as horrible people is just as unfair as the generalising of all foreign drivers not knowing where anywhere is.

I recently ordered a taxi and specified that I had to be able to collect my banjaxed bicycle along the journey. The Irish taxi driver was very helpful in getting the bike in and out of the taxi, including folding up a blanket I had so as not to ruin his upholstery and and also ensuring that I didn't leave the lock behind.

This is just one of the positive stories I can tell you about helpful and nice Irish taxi drivers. I have plenty involving foreign drivers as well but I just thought the Irish lads could do with a bit of good press on this thread.

And when I need a taxi, it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference where they're from or the colour of their skin, I get in the first taxi that stops for me (years since I got a taxi at a rank).

And on the rare occasions when a taxi driver isn't completely familiar with where I'm going, I usually am, and have no problem giving them directions.

I'm not racist!

Sure I've a coloured TV at home! :p

Surely that shows that you are racist. I'm not though, I have a black and white TV. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Well there can only be two reasons, either they are just plain racist or they've had bad experiences with black taxi drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

HovaBaby wrote: »
    Well the fella who headbutted him is a complete scumbag. I doubt very much he would be up to date in matters in Africa. I don't think the scummer would be indictive of the regular Irish population.

true, no irishman would ever assault a fellow irishman. they only ever attack people with different skin.

Well there can only be two reasons, either they are just plain racist or they've had bad experiences with black taxi drivers.

How are those two things different?

if they had a bad experience with a black taxi driver and refuse to use the service of an unrelated party based entirely on skin colour, then that is racist.

unbelievable.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    true, no irishman would ever assault a fellow irishman. they only ever attack people with different skin.

Yep. Therefore the issue of racism is not that important.

Sure we shot and killed protestant children.

The blacks need a sense of perspective.

At this rate they'll be asking for fair representation from elected officials.

One white guy headbutting a black cab driver a racist population does not make.

but its got news for the sensationalist indo

Oh but the poor irish, 800 years and soup kitchens 150 years ago make us the blacks of europe :rolleyes:

Oh the irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    in all probability the others would refuse to take me, as I would have clearly demonstrated that I was a racist, troublemaker or just a problematic sh1t.:cool:
    In all probability you would get a round of applause here from the taxi drivers if you didnt get in the black taxi drivers car. Sure there the biggest racists of the lot of them. So many awkward silences for me when the Taxi man decides to have a rant at the blacks/gays/anyone different.

• Advertisement

Yep. Therefore the issue of racism is not that important.

Sure we shot and killed protestant children.

The blacks need a sense of perspective.

At this rate they'll be asking for fair representation from elected officials.

actually using the term 'black' has deemed by the PC brigade to be racist.

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    Oh the irony.

Jesus Christ.

Is it?

where?

How are those two things different?

if they had a bad experience with a black taxi driver and refuse to use the service of an unrelated party based entirely on skin colour, then that is racist.

unbelievable.
    If someone has for arguments sake, had 10 negative experiences with taxis and in all ten cases the drivers happened to be black, is it wrong for that person, consciously or not, to avoid taxis driven by black drivers in the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I wonder how many Irish taxi drivers get verbally or physically assaulted each year, these stories don't make headlines!

Its just the one reason there racist, simple as. If I had a bad experience with a white taxi driver that wouldnt mean I would avoid all white drivers for the rest of my life. If you was correct that would mean painting all paople with the one brush is acceptable. which is basically saying racism is ok.

Not true. I work with black people and hang out with a few at my local. We say black and white, no big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Jeez.... I skidded on some "BLACK ICE" last week, wonder what the PC brigade will say about that

Her choice but incredibly racist.

She has judged a person by their skin pigmentation. Not nationality or demeanor or attitude or anything else.

This I suppose is what it comes down to: white people in Ireland are Irish or British or American or Polish or whatever else. We all have pre conceived notions of what comes along with each nationality.

Black people are black apparently and let their be no other distinction.

In truth, the same things happen in countries that have a mainly black population. The white guy is just a skin colour too.

some Irish do not like travelers, based on previous experience. with nigerians its no different. why suffer in silence and pay for the priveledge?

i would distinguish between a dark skinned african and a nigerian. if you are around them long enough you recognise the differences. i find it hilarious that three nigerians could use the same ID and Irish people would not recognise teh difference

• Advertisement

Its just the one reason there racist, simple as. If I had a bad experience with a white taxi driver that wouldnt mean I would avoid all white drivers for the rest of my life. If you was correct that would mean painting all paople with the one brush is acceptable. which is basically saying racism is ok.
    If a person had more bad experiences with white taxi drivers than with black taxi drivers and therefore decided to avoid white drivers in future, it would be racist but, to me at least, be understandable.

If someone has for arguments sake, had 10 negative experiences with taxis and in all ten cases the drivers happened to be black, is it wrong for that person, consciously or not, to avoid taxis driven by black drivers in the future?

yeah, what if indeed. What if 10 different black taxi drivers behaved in the exact same offensive way. because that's exactly what they're likely to do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Unfortunetly it's in most irish people, especially in the direction of your location (if your username is an accurate indication).

Lets ignore racism from irish people towards blacks and turn it into oppression of poor white irish people.

@Leftist - you haven't answered Minstrel27's question. You made a sweeping statement that most Irish people are racist and when challenged on this you got defensive. You accused Minstrel27 of "having classic irish victim mentality" when you seem to have a bit of a "victim mentality" yourself.

There is undoubtably racism in Ireland and this should not be tolerated but again, what qualifies you to make such a sweeping statement, that racism is in most Irish people?

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Not true. I work with black people and hang out with a few at my local. We say black and white, no big deal.
    You must remember up to a few years back, the PC brigade viewed it as unacceptable for white people to say black people, so you cant blame people to failing to keep up to date as the rules can change

some Irish do not like travelers, based on previous experience. with nigerians its no different. why suffer in silence and pay for the priveledge?

i would distinguish between a dark skinned african and a nigerian. if you are around them long enough you recognise the differences. i find it hilarious that three nigerians could use the same ID and Irish people would not recognise teh difference
    Are u serious, Thats simply saying that all nigerians look alike of course you can distinguish black people same as white people or any other race. Im of Jamaican decent we dont all look the same, like nigerians, or any other black nationality. You make my blood boil with anger that is disguisting, black people are beautiful people. If you cant see this educate yourself!

i would distinguish between a dark skinned african and a nigerian. if you are around them long enough you recognise the differences.

Really? you would recognise the difference, based on appearance between a nigerian and senegalese or congolese?

Oh but the fact that people treat travellers as second class citizens is enough reason for the blacks to shut up moaning.

It's unbelievable. and some cretin has just after suggesting that we can't even say black ice as a means to degrade the damage racism can do to a community.

• Advertisement

yeah, what if indeed. What if 10 different black taxi drivers behaved in the exact same offensive way. because that's exactly what they're likely to do too.
    My question was of course a hypothetical one, would you care to answer it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

That's generally how it works. And black is actually the PC term to use. Whereas I lived with a Dutch guy who referred to them as Negroes. Germans say Farber I think which literally means "coloured" in English (and non-PC here) whereas there "Schwarzer" which is kind of like a one word translation of "Black person" is not PC.

That all said, I think a lot of peopel aren't sure if "black" is PC here, I remember working in an office and had to talk to a girl in another sub-department, had never met her but had access to her notes on accounts. I asked someone what she looks like and the person I ask covers her mouth and whispers "she's the black girl on the team". Another black girl sat behind me at the time and I think my teammate was afraid it was an offensive term, or even that referring to someone by their skin colour was racist.

That kind of insanity is proof to me the Irish as a group are so far from racism its laughable to suggest otherwise

My question was of course a hypothetical one, would you care to answer it?

it's a stupid question.

You are basically asking me if black people acted all the same could I then form an opinion of them based on their race.

IT's like asking if every Protestant you met was rude, would you think protestants were rude.

Why would they all be rude? it's absolute horse ****.

I will not use a taxi driven by a nigerian.

they are rude, generally do not know where they are going, play their music too loud and try to rip you off. a girl alone with one of them is asking for trouble.

even in africa these people are regarded as crook and con men or so I am been told by my African friends, but people here are afraid to say anything in case they are labelled racist. its time to call a spade a spade, if you will pardon the pun.

while the dude in Naas should have expressed himself in more diplomatic fashion he spoke the truth.

some folks will argue that you cannot generalise about nigerians. for me its like the travellers. some of them may be decent, but I will be on mz guard, based on personal experience. i find it gas the way some people speak of 'knackers' but will not tolerate a bad word against 'blacks'

mod: banned.

You must remember up to a few years back, the PC brigade viewed it as unacceptable for white people to say black people, so you cant blame people to failing to keep up to date as the rules can change

I think that's only in the states. I was in US recently and someone asked me if we have African American people in the UK. Dear oh dear...

• Advertisement
Advertisement