Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures of dog run

Options
  • 16-02-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Anybody interested in posting a few pics of there runs. building one soon and just wanted a few ideas without spending big bucks. i have a concreted area of 15 x 10. theres an oil thank in this space too so 7 x3 is taking out on one side.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

I'ed be interested in this too.
    fiestaman wrote: »
    i have a concreted area of 15 x 10. theres an oil thank in this space too so 7 x3 is taking out on one side.

Good idea encompassing the oil tank into the dog run....added security:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

LK_Dave wrote: »

Springer Spaniels absolutely love chewing, do not have the oil tank in the run with the dogs!:rolleyes:

This is my dog run, I built it about 5 years ago, I think it 17 foot by 6 foot, there is an inch/yard fall in the concrete for drainage, which goes into a channel and then into the sewer.

P6220125.jpg

I had to put weld mesh around the bottom of the run to stop the springers pulling the chainlink apart and getting out.

30072010711.jpg

I also put chain link accross the top of it to stop dogs getting in when the bitches are in heat, I also have cow matting on the floor for the dogs to lie down on.

I should have kept the drain inside the fence rather than outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Thats very well made and a lot of thought went into the Dog run well done as to my Dog she has the run of the Garden now. if I make a Dog run and put here in there she will have me and the Neighbours up all night singing and thats a no no but wlll made best I seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

This was my effort last summer....

Little brats scaled the first effort, so had to put on a bit of an extension :)

4.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Nice job lads. Deeks, why do u think u should hav put drain inside? Cow matting
    is good idea,this obviously dosent hold water?

Ergonomics - Its easier to be able to just hose everything down the drain from inside the run rather having to go outside with the bucket and shovel aswell.

I probably should have the drain going down the middle of the run and a manhole to sweep the **** into and flush it down with a few buckets of water.

You have to clean under the cow matting every once in a while becauseit holds hair and **** and will stink after a bit.

Ergonomics - Its easier to be able to just hose everything down the drain from inside the run rather having to go outside with the bucket and shovel aswell.

I probably should have the drain going down the middle of the run and a manhole to sweep the **** into and flush it down with a few buckets of water.

You have to clean under the cow matting every once in a while becauseit holds hair and **** and will stink after a bit.

Mmm,il b doing mine like urs,putting gullys down d outside thats the side i have d fall to. Hose everything in2 that then. Ai jus keep cow matt cleaned every week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

When we bought our new house in August it came following almost a year of watching it being constructed. We all have grand ideas for our homes - Conservatories, Patios, Water features. My grand idea was to use the fifteen-or-so feet wide side entrance of the house as my new kennels for whatever new dog I was going to get once we had settled in.
    Initially the builder was going to lay a footpath down the side of the house and make a lawn out of the remaining twelve feet, but I bargained with him and persuaded him to pour a concrete slab in place of the path and the lawn, and link in two drains to the sewerage:

1329405867095.jpg

I debated on how to build the kennel, whether to use a wooden shed, or just a standard wooden kennel or to block build. Having discussed the various options with a work colleague, who advised me that ultimately I would end up building a concrete shed, I decided to go for a block built.
    The kennel I built is approximately four feet wide and six feet deep and roofed with Kingspan box profile cladding. I also built a small alcove to park the wheelie bins in.

1329406015861.jpg

I got a friend to weld up a stable type door, except upside down so that the bottom smaller portion can be left open and the larger top section can be closed to reduce the draft. The intention is to leave the bottom section open most of the time and to open the top section when human access is required.
    (pic before it was painted!)

1329406108120.jpg

The last thing left to so on the inside of the kennel is to build a plywood box.

I did a bit of research into who I was going to buy the panels to make the run off, and eventually decide to give my business to Cill Dara Animal Enclosures www.cilldara.ie. They're local to me and the quality of their runs far surpass many I have seen. The long panel has a door at one end, and a really handy swivel feeding panel on the other end, it basically means that in order to feed the dog the run doesn't necessarily have to be entered -  fierce handy when the mammy-in-law has to feed the dog if we're away!!

1329406251964.jpg

I also purchased a standard end panel and decided to go all out and top it off with a roof panel (the picture below shows it held down temporarily with rope, which I replaced with L brackets. All in, the run cost me approx. €500 as far as I can recollect. The cost of the block built kennel was fairly reasonable, but I didn't really keep track of it.

1329406377208.jpg

1329406423964.jpg

The last step was to install a light for the run. I've decided to try out having the light on all the time in the run whenever it's dark, and to have no light in the actual kennel. I'm putting a low wattage energy saver bulb into the light fitting and have calculated it to cost approximately €20 to €30 per annum to have the light on during the hours of darkness.

1329406513027.jpg

The light will turn on automatically by means of a photo cell.

1329406569026.jpg

Thats a brilliant job e.fudd. i like the idea of d light i was thinking d same but wasnt sure if i was mad putting in a light for a dog(not as if hes going to b reading a book b4 he goes to sleep) :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭pheasntstalker

have to say lads im well impressed with all your run/kennels:):):);)im in a dilema at the moment at what to do with my yard but ive bein inspired now:D:D topclass lads

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

have to say lads im well impressed with all your run/kennels:):):);)im in a dilema at the moment at what to do with my yard but ive bein inspired now:D:D topclass lads

Cheers pheasntstalker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Pheasantstalker,if you want to keep it simple and you already have a yard you could try the builders panels.
    I got mine from a local hire centre for €30 each and I think €2 each for the clips.
    If you have the inclination you could sink the "blocks" in concrete.You can set the blocks at a depth that leaves a small gap under the bars of the run so you can sweep or powerwash everything out under them.
    The other advantage of this is that it gives you the option of moving/reshaping the run.( e.g if you had a bitch in heat you can make it "2 runs" for a couple of weeks)
    Having a slope in the run is a great advantage and my one is not glass smooth either and this prevents the dogs sliding around if it gets frosty.
    If you intend to put a roof on it,make sure the walls of the run are taller than you(makes it much easier to move around in it)

hi vizzy ,fine setup;) yeh i would go for the same as yours as it would suit my yard as you said yourself it would be handy for moving around,and some day i hope to let jess in pup a year/2 ,s time,it as u said handy to move around, an thank you for the help and advise, and il go with something simaliar to yours:D thanks again regards p,s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

LK_Dave wrote: »

i done the same thing myself , great minds ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

hi vizzy ,fine setup;) yeh i would go for the same as yours as it would suit my yard as you said yourself it would be handy for moving around,and some day i hope to let jess in pup a year/2 ,s time,it as u said handy to move around, an thank you for the help and advise, and il go with something simaliar to yours:D thanks again regards p,s

vizzy my steup is simular to yours , and nice job but the problem i have is the dogs jumping up on it have broke all the mesh welds .

phesntstalker i sujjest the green panels you see round most schools i bought 10 of these panels to build a new pen this year and they were as cheep as the security panels and twice as tick ans there powder coated as well .

just a suggesting going on my own short fallens

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kerryltz

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Here is a few pics of my run I have just completed. It is 12ft X 16ft and is a 2" box iron frame with shiplap cladding and half roofed.

hi trigger,yeh was considering the green panels as better option alrite but,will have to go with ordinary panels for now as there all i can get my hands on ,i got 2 this evening just waiting on 2more,an starting on yard 2moro hopefully when all complete i will try an post up pics;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

How much concrete are ye using lads, as in thickness considering it it after all just for the dogs, how much hardcore under it aswel? I've to sort myself out with a run in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

hi trigger,yeh was considering the green panels as better option alrite but,will have to go with ordinary panels for now as there all i can get my hands on ,i got 2 this evening just waiting on 2more,an starting on yard 2moro hopefully when all complete i will try an post up pics;)

what part of westmeath are you in cause i got them in roscommon town for 30 euro a panel, there 3m x 8 foot i think def 3meters long anyway .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

garkane wrote: »
    How much concrete are ye using lads, as in thickness considering it it after all just for the dogs, how much hardcore under it aswel? I've to sort myself out with a run in the next couple of months.

The floor in mine is about 3" deep mixed at 7 to 1.No hardcore under it but the ground is very dry. As you say it is only for dogs so there is no real weight on it.I made it up in 3 sections so they can move about a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wolfhillbilly

You should be able to get a few ideas from these clips:

http://www.timberbuilddogkennels.co.uk/kennels/dogkennelandrun-videos.html

Also Reeves Kennels charge an arm and a leg but their site has kennel and run blueprints.
    In my old house I had a great system going where I had a small manhole cover in the run which ran directly to the house waste system via a short pipe. It meant that I just lifted the manhole cover and hosed eevrything into it. I'm not sure it is recommended (or even allowed) by the water service but I always made sure there was no bedding or anything else that went down the pipe and there was never any problems. In my new house the run is too far away from the house sewerage system to get the same system in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

I have a full pen built in to the shed fully plummed with sewer traps,with beds in the back but these pair prefair the landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I'm also looking at building a run! I though i would get away with them being inside and in fairness did but I'm just fed up cleaning washing floors after them. They also eat and chew everything wood being there favourite!!

I've priced site guard fencing at €47 a panel and going to use stable matting for the floor!!!

elius wrote: »
    I've priced site guard fencing at €47 a panel and going to use stable matting for the floor!!!

Is that new fencing, does anybody know of a supply of second hand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

have a look at slaneyside kennell systems.I ordered 4 x1 meter gates on tuesday at 3 o clock.they arrived on wednesday at 11.30.Great to deal with.They have full pannells very cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Is that new fencing, does anybody know of a supply of second hand stuff.

A laid I know got second hand ones for €22 but they were as good as new. They were in glanmire I think I will get the number for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Amyone know how to post pictures from i phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Download photobucket app.
    Can upload photos to that & then just copy over IMG code. Very easy plus the photo is embedded & saves you opening the attachment which is a pet hate of mine as I surf on the phone more often than not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean raff

recently i started mine 24ft wide runs into 0ft (triangle) put down 4in of 30kn
    concrete and 3in of inch to zero gravel/dust for a good compact footing.my heating boiler is quite close so ran pipes off it for radiator for new kennels.A roll of chain link fencing i got 100ft of 4x2 treated 16x150mm express nails small box of u nails some screw and the mutts thought they were in the joy.will post picks when i build kennels also ran drainage inside run.Total cost so far bout 550e

Advertisement