Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some things an American should know about the Irish Culture?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Aquila wrote: »
    While you are here come to Portlaoise,you wont want to ever leave:pac:

Only because she'll have lost the will to go on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

If you want a serious thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=319492

If you want a not so serious thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056615361

What are some examples of slang?

Cork Slang...
    Langer = Penis and/or Fool
    Langers = Sh1tfaced drunk
    Lobing the gob = Attempt to make out with somebody
    Getting the Ride = Sex
    Pana = Patrick's St, main street in Cork
    Every second sentence is finished with 'boy' or 'like', it adds no meaning to the sentence, it just is

General slang...
    If you are reading a text msg, d = the
    The Horrors = Hangover
    The Fear = Waking up hungover with the fear that you did something regratable the night b4

How do you spend free time?
    Drinking and we are not joking about that.

Is it hard to learn how to drive on the opposite side of the road?
    No but nearly all cars are manual and a lot smaller than what you'll ye drive in the US. Also roads are tiny in comparison to the US.

What are some things I should/shouldn't do when trying to make friends?
    Get langers.

How do Irish men express attraction?
    By getting sh1tfaced and approaching you on the dance floor at exactly 1:50am by grinding their ass off you

What are classes like?
    Do absolutely no work all year then get a month off before the summer exams to do study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Well don't call us ''terrorists'' I went to the states last year having dinner the mother of the bride (I was at a wedding) stood up and said when I first met so & so her words were

''I thought all you Irish were terrorists''

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WickedWest

Dont say you a republican.

Republican? What's a republican? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

krudler wrote: »
    slang: "howya boss"= "good day my good sir"

free time is spent hurling, fighting, drinking, bailing hay, 'atin ham, drinkin' tae and batin' the wife.

Horses are adept at driving on both sides of the road.

When making friends:
    do= slag them off and call people gobsh1tes at every turn.
    don't= express feelings, even if your entire family is killed, you're "grand"

Irish men express attraction by gathing in nightclubs wearing terrible clothes, peering at women in the dark until sufficent alchohol is consumed to talk to a woman in the hopes of buying her a taco chip and mauling the box off her outside Supermacs.

Classes from bottom to top go= tracksuit wearing, student, public sector worker, private sector worker, D4 homeowner, Fianna Fail former politician, English landlord.

Tips: cows are benign, majestic beasts.
    cups of tea are to be accepted no matter what the situation.
    as are ham sandwiches.
    Don't go to Mayo.
    If you vomit from drinking, drink more, then you'll be seen as great craic.
    Craic is not the same as American crack, thats different.

Welcome to Ireland!

Your idea of Ireland seems to be contrived from just about every bad TV programme ever made in; or on the subject of Ireland.

Either that or you're living in an awful hatefilled sh*thole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

WickedWest wrote: »
    Republican? What's a republican? ;)

We're all Republicans here, missy. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Seriously though. American Republicans and Irish Republicans are very different. If you don't know what already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

You will need to know fluent Irish in order to understand us. Get studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jeff pepsi

i will, yeah = no, i won't

If you guys could post the meaning along with the examples of slang, that would be awesome - because I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding you...

Other than that, yeah I plan on seeing as much of Ireland as I can! I've wanted to visit for the longest time.

Umm, one more question - is it a bad thing that I don't drink? Will it be harder to fit in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

If you guys could post the meaning along with the examples of slang, that would be awesome - because I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding you...

Other than that, yeah I plan on seeing as much of Ireland as I can! I've wanted to visit for the longest time.

Umm, one more question - is it a bad thing that I don't drink? Will it be harder to fit in?

It might be harder but I'll try anyway.

• Advertisement

You will need to know fluent Irish in order to understand us. Get studying.

Are you talking about Gaelic or just the vast amount of slang? I'm not sure I could learn an entire language in such a short amount of time :/

it is customary in Ireland to introduce yourself to the Gardai (police) when you meet them on the street with the greeting 'hows your ma?..'

You can't be serious! I feel like you're just trying to get me in trouble :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Are you talking about Gaelic or just the vast amount of slang? I'm not sure I could learn an entire language in such a short amount of time :/

Yes he's talking about Gaelic, which is usually called Irish in Ireland.
    You can't be serious! I feel like you're just trying to get me in trouble :cool:

After Hours isn't really the forum for serious answers in case you hadn't worked that out yet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Don't take Irish people literally, we take the piss a lot.

Don't look into things that Irish people say or do too much either for the same reason.

We're all Republicans here, missy. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Seriously though. American Republicans and Irish Republicans are very different. If you don't know what already.

The problem is that I AM a republican - I'm just using their advice and pretending I'm not. Shhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

...Helllllllllooo...

Agus wrote: »
    Yes he's talking about Gaelic, which is usually called Irish in Ireland.

So if I don't know Irish, then I should look into studying abroad somewhere else? You're breaking my heart! :(
    After Hours isn't really the forum for serious answers in case you hadn't worked that out yet. :D

Yeah, I think I learned that the hard way... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I really hope you're not religious and that you understand evolution. If you are religious we'll have to organise a paddling contest. Oh by the way, you have some attractive curves. Unless you're the hairy guy on the left.

Oh yeah, and get used to saying "Sorry!" a lot. Especially when you don't mean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Not at all, just remember to point the car in the opposite direction and you'll be grand*

*Grand means fine, ok, etc., not regal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

They love it...it's an 'in' joke! They'll let you wear their hat for a photo with them

&

They can't arrest you if they don't have their hat on

Don't be alarmed by people doing going about their business in their pyjamas, it's just the fashion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

i.e.
    What are some examples of slang?
    How do you spend free time?
    What are some things I should/shouldn't do when trying to make friends?
    How do Irish men express attraction?
    What are classes like?
    Add anything else you think will be helpful!

Slang-I'm larry murphy-I'm feeling fine and dandy
    Hobbies-Loitering outside shops looking hard
    Road (driving on opposite side)-No unless you are suffering from mental retardation
    Should do-Join your local paramilitary organisation, Shouldnt do-Wear a gimp mask
    Irish men express attraction by masturbating in your general direction
    Classes-1st class to 4th are easy enough, 5th and 6th you have to put some work in
    Helpful info-Dont come to Ireland unless you are easy and hot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Yes, I am all of these. In fact, this is what I look like:
    Attachment not found.

Just kidding, this is what I really look like:
    Attachment not found.

I am a bit (really) white. Will I get made fun of for that?
    Attachment not found.

See? I practically glow :(

Ok WickedWest you've passed the first test. When you get here be sure to look me up. And do not worry yourself about the really white glow, that happens to be our natural complexion.
    Also, being a non drinker will make you really popular, as long as you don't mind driving everywhere.

Confab wrote: »
    I really hope you're not religious and that you understand evolution. If you are religious we'll have to organise a paddling contest.

I'm a Southern Baptist (Christian). I understand and don't discount evolution, and I don't really like to push my beliefs onto other people - so as long as you do the same, I think we'll be GRAND. Did I use that right?
    Oh by the way, you have some attractive curves. Unless you're the hairy guy on the left.

I'm the blonde, but don't be mean, SHE'S one of my best friends! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Are they your own teeth in the third picture ?

Not many Irish women have teeth, mostly they had them knocked out fighting each other and catching sheep.

You might do well to get them removed before you arrive here, just sayin '..

micropig wrote: »
    They love it...it's an 'in' joke! They'll let you wear their hat for a photo with them

&

They can't arrest you if they don't have their hat on

Don't be alarmed by people doing going about their business in their pyjamas, it's just the fashion

Hahaha, I'll be sure to remember that!

Oh, this thread is making me laugh, I feel like we'd all get along well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

I'm a Southern Baptist (Christian). I understand and don't discount evolution, and I don't really like to push my beliefs onto other people - so as long as you do the same, I think we'll be GRAND. Did I use that right?

We speak Hiberno English in Ireland,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English

Also if you come to Galway city would you like to meet up for a Coffee and then maybe a Movie? PM me if you want to.

longshanks wrote: »
    Ok WickedWest you've passed the first test. When you get here be sure to look me up. And do not worry yourself about the really white glow, that happens to be our natural complexion.

Oh good! Wait, what's the first test?
    Also, being a non drinker will make you really popular, as long as you don't mind driving everywhere.

Ugh, I do NOT want to be a designated driver! Maybe I'll try a drink when I get there after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yep.

I meant the other pic.

mattjack wrote: »
    Are they your own teeth in the third picture ?

Not many Irish women have teeth, mostly they had them knocked out fighting each other and catching sheep.

You might do well to get them removed before you arrive here, just sayin '..

Of course they're my real teeth, except for a few fake bits here and there... :D

But no, I won't have them removed, I've been told I have a great smile as it is ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ugh, I do NOT want to be a designated driver! Maybe I'll try a drink when I get there after all...

You'll be fine as a non drinker..I'm a non drinker and I have plenty of fun with all my non existant friends jk:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement