Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some things an American should know about the Irish Culture?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WickedWest

Confab wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and get used to saying "Sorry!" a lot. Especially when you don't mean it.

Oh, I'm already great at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

You'll be needing a pocket fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

bensweeney wrote: »
    We speak Hiberno English in Ireland,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English

Also if you come to Galway city would you like to meet up for a Coffee and then maybe a Movie? PM me if you want to.

Ben, when were you released ? are ya on parole and wearing a tag ?

That rohypnol and duct tape just ain't accepted much these days.

Confab wrote: »
    I meant the other pic.

Oh, then yup, that's me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We like 2 types of ice cream - 99s and Iceburgers.

• Advertisement

FruitLover wrote: »
    You'll be needing a pocket fish!

What's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Go home yank.:D yill not get my field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

To read and educate themselves on the Island and stop buying into the propaganda. All Yankees should be prepared to educate themselves on this. Southerners less so as I think they understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

WickedWest wrote: »
    What's that?

It's a fish we keep in our pockets, as a friend.

There are pocket fish shops all over the place, so don't worry. Just ask someone once you get off the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Oh good! Wait, what's the first test?

[QOUTE]Also, being a non drinker will make you really popular, as long as you don't mind driving everywhere.

Ugh, I do NOT want to be a designated driver! Maybe I'll try a drink when I get there after all...

You'll get along just fine over here WickedWest. Ok, I'm off now to help rehouse some homeless people and rescue orphans from a burning building. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I might pop back in later, depending on how this rescuing business goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I'm a Southern Baptist (Christian). I understand and don't discount evolution, and I don't really like to push my beliefs onto other people - so as long as you do the same, I think we'll be GRAND. Did I use that right?

don't mention that people over here shoot protestants

cursai wrote: »

Darn it! You're field was precisely where I was planning to stay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

Yes, I am all of these. In fact, this is what I look like:
    Attachment not found.

Just kidding, this is what I really look like:
    Attachment not found.

I am a bit (really) white. Will I get made fun of for that?
    Attachment not found.

See? I practically glow :(

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

for actual things to do there would be hiking clubs and other social societies in ucc so just join them. Cork would have a good music and cultural scene.

be aware the cork is considered the Texas of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Are you talking about Gaelic or just the vast amount of slang? I'm not sure I could learn an entire language in such a short amount of time :/
    Yes the entire language. The important thing to understand is that everybody speaks Irish, but only in front of Americans. So if you can suppress your accent you'll get by with English. Although to be honest all anybody is really saying is asking permission to go to the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Me father said go get a priest..I said...we'll take the hay in first.

Get used to being told to lower the volume of your voice. Although you should be fine in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

well if you're going to ucc there a few things you.ll need to know but are generally kept secret .....

longshanks wrote: »
    You'll get along just fine over here WickedWest. Ok, I'm off now to help rehouse some homeless people and rescue orphans from a burning building. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I might pop back in later, depending on how this rescuing business goes.

Good luck! If I find out you haven't actually saved any orphans, we won't be so "grand" anymore.

Did I use it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

sheesh wrote: »
    be aware the cork is considered the Texas of ireland.

Nah..Texas is actually relevant to the rest of America. Cork is like Vermont...it's there but nobody gives a fcuk about it.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Don't be easily offended.

I might be hard to believe but people you befriend may throw many insults at you. Theres nothing worse to Irish people than a friend with high self esteem.

We also swear quite heavily.

Sarcasm lots and lots of sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Don't worry, I'm British, and I fit in just fine..... ignoring the occasional black and tan and get the **** out comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Good luck! If I find out you haven't actually saved any orphans, we won't be so "grand" anymore.

Did I use it right?

You sort of did, but you don't say "we're not grand", you say "you're a gowl".

Did I use it right?

No. Grand is only used at funerals or when speaking about the death of a sibling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Did I use it right?

Nope, grand can only be used to express positive emotions. You can't be not grand, it doesn't even make grammatical sense.

Get used to being told to lower the volume of your voice. Although you should be fine in Dublin.

Most people tell me to speak up.

well if you're going to ucc there a few things you.ll need to know but are generally kept secret .....

You can trust me with secrets, I promise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ah yes, that's what I forgot to mention. Irish cities (including Dublin) are a touch provincial compared to the rest of Europe. If you want to have a great time, go somewhere other than Ireland. My suggestions for great cities are London, Stockholm, Prague, Munich, Milan and Barcelona. Dublin's a bit of a yawnfest unless you really like pubs. Galway is a bit of fun though.

Knasher wrote: »
    Nope, grand can only be used to express positive emotions. You can't be not grand, it doesn't even make grammatical sense.

Welp, looks like I have a lot to learn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Do you mean the the UCC secret murder cult?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement