Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some things an American should know about the Irish Culture?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

WickedWest wrote: »
    I am a bit (really) white. Will I get made fun of for that?
    Attachment not found.(

Wow, you're hot! Whereja get the lifejacket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Football refers to neither soccer nor gridiron, it's kind of like their illegitimate child.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭cena

Come over and Marry me. Don't mind the rest of the lads here. i WOULD SAY yOU WELL like Ireland. Many americans like it here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

If you're going to live in Cork,it is essential that you familiarise yourself with the life and times of The Sage Of Mayfield,one Roy Keane and remember this important phrase which will make you friends all over the city by the Lee:

"Roy Keane didn't betray Ireland,he was betrayed by the boss"

This also applies to Michael Collins, another Corkman btw, more reading for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

After Hours - at the forefront of attracting much needed overseas students to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Where To wrote: »
    After Hours - at the forefront of attracting much needed overseas students to Ireland.

should be renamed bord failte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

SSSHhh don't mention the war;) We had managed to avoid it so far, only positive points please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

we all have our part to play in the 'great recovery'

OP if you have a spare 45billion we really could do with the loan :D

should be renamed bord failte

After bord failte?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Another tourist frightened away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

micropig wrote: »
    SSSHhh don't mention the war;) We had managed to avoid it so far, only positive points please

But Roy was right

But Roy was right

Who's Roy?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

Nebraska is the home of the US Strategic Command, formerly Strategic Air Command, and is capable of delivering a devastating nuclear strike anywhere in the world.

So I'd tend to watch my words,just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

cml387 wrote: »
    Nebraska is the home of the US Strategic Command, formerly Strategic Air Command, and is capable of delivering a devastating nuclear strike anywhere in the world.

I liked it better when it was known as the US Strategic Command.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,988 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Guinness is not green. It's not supposed to be green. Stop adding green food coloring to it, it doesn't make it any more Irish - not that it needs to be, in any case. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Don't worry about a thing, without the cover of anonymity provided by online posts the people of Ireland are a very serious bunch, who will answer any question posed to us in a straightforward and honest way.

But if you do suspect someone has begun to embellish a story a little, it is traditional (especially in a crowded room or a pub) to shout BULLSH1T!!. upon which the guilty party will say "That's grand" and will buy a round of drinks for everybody and the craic continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No one says hello here.

Basically the greeting is 'well'

Answer...ah sure

Pushing the boat out you can open with...

1-How's the form?
    2-How's she cutting?
    3-What's going on?

Answers

1-haven't got it filled in yet
    2-full of the blade
    3-fcuk all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Probably take you a while to get the accent/slang, best to join some club/activity early. People usually friendly but don't over talk - can put them off. Don't bother with a car use bus taxi walk. Social life is often based around pubs best drink coffee/soft drinks if not used to this go out with others. Irish men usually shy. Show your interest by asking questions etc. Best of luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WickedWest

What do you mean?

Don't worry about a thing, without the cover of anonymity provided by online posts the people of Ireland are a very serious bunch, who will answer any question posed to us in a straightforward and honest way.

But if you do suspect someone has begun to embellish a story a little, it is traditional (especially in a crowded room or a pub) to shout BULLSH1T!!. upon which the guilty party will say "That's grand" and will buy a round of drinks for everybody and the craic continues.

BULLSH1T!

Like that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

BULLSH1T!

Like that?

Yup. Make sure to pronounce the '1', it's important.

If you're going to live in Cork,it is essential that you familiarise yourself with the life and times of The Sage Of Mayfield,one Roy Keane and remember this important phrase which will make you friends all over the city by the Lee:

"Roy Keane didn't betray Ireland,he was betrayed by the boss"

This also applies to Michael Collins, another Corkman btw, more reading for you.

Okay, that's the first thing I'll say when I get to Ireland, right after I ask how the policeman's mother is and take his hat so I can't be arrested.

Confab wrote: »
    BULLSH1T!

Like that?

Yup. Make sure to pronounce the '1', it's important.

You're a lifesaver, I don't know what I'd do without you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Okay, that's the first thing I'll say when I get to Ireland, right after I ask how the policeman's mother is and take his hat so I can't be arrested.

You're getting confused with the UK again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

they're called the guards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

'PS I Love You' is fiction. And bad fiction at that.
    We apologise for the misleading propaganda, and to all the disappinted Yankettes it has left in its wake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

A fag is something you smoke

Confab post 144 is very good

grand

For those of you saying that Ireland is provincial, I guarantee it's got to be more exciting than Nebraska, with continuous miles of nothing but corn, soy beans, and cows. That's not to say that I don't love Nebraska, I do - but it has no distinct culture. What I'm looking for in Ireland isn't big city life, if I were, I'd go to New York.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »

You're getting confused with the UK again.

Blame a previous poster, they told me to do it ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement