Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some things an American should know about the Irish Culture?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

Out of Interest has starting this thread made you more or less apprehensive about coming to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

smash wrote: »
    And you only hang around with girls that you think aren't as pretty as you. :D

Exactly, they make me look better.

/no one is prettier than me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

When people are insulting each other wildly don't join in until you've got a good feel for it. In my experience it takes newcomers a while to get used to what's acceptable and what isn't.

(And no one will give a rational explanation because there isn't any)

Example

Irish person- :) "Look at the state of ya big eejit"

New arrival - :) "Well you're fat and ugly and your mother doesn't love you"

Irish person :( "Why would you say that?"

I've seen it happen many times

FYI they weren't having the craic with you. You're fat, ugly, and your mother doesn't love you.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nukin_futs

WickedWest wrote: »
    I'm an American woman from the heartland of the United States, and I've been thinking about getting involved in the study abroad program at the university and studying in Cork, Ireland. However, I don't want to feel like a fish out of water if/when I go, so if you could give me a few tips or facts about the culture that would be awesome!

i.e.
    What are some examples of slang?
    How do you spend free time?
    Is it hard to learn how to drive on the opposite side of the road?
    What are some things I should/shouldn't do when trying to make friends?
    How do Irish men express attraction?
    What are classes like?
    Add anything else you think will be helpful!

No, one of our politicians even managed to do it while drunk URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_McDaid"]Clicky[/URL. However I recommend driving on the correct side of the road, whichever country you are in.

Classes are like a big room, full of young people. An older male/female will be at the front attempting to pass on knowledge to the younger generation. May take place in a school or university - see also Education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52bna-tn_dY

A simple test for you:
    You are told that someone is "going spare," should you (a) Find him a job (b) Find him a girlfriend (c) Avoid him

Ming the Merciless is (a) A comic book character (b) A TD and Mayor from Co. Roscommon

What is a holy show? (a) Religious programming (b) Something garish worn without the wearer knowing the impact

Someone says "I like your top." Your response is (a) Thanks (b) Penneys

If a feature on the RTE news reports that an incident took place at tea time what time did the incident occur?

"Story horse!" translates as (a) A child's toy (b) A greeting between friends

"Bleedin rappih" means (a) It's very fast (b) It's very good

If someone was a 'gas man', would they (a) work for the gas company (b) be really funny

You'll get "some land" means (a) you're about to become the owner of some property (b) you're about to be surprised

Do you have an ineradicable belief in the restorative powers of flat 7up?

When you're telling someone a great yarn and they implore you to "Stop," do you (a) stop (b) keep going with gusto

If someone offers to "put you in the pot", should you (a) flee from the cannibals (b) accept their kind offer of dinner

How many is 'just the one'? a) One b) Three c) a Rake

If a fire alarm goes off how long should you spend looking for the fire before getting back to work?

Deadly buzz means (a) a great time (b) a lethal Toy Story character or (c) a faulty vibrator ?

Question: In Dublin what word can get you any relevant information you require from a friend? Answer: 'Story?'

Who would be the correct recipient of a brown envelope ? a) The postman b) a politician

Was Bosco a Strings Down or Hand Up the Jaxie kind of Puppet?

Do you say to people* You must call round sometime* and expect never to see that person , ever?

Pronounce 'The Taoiseach and Tánaiste met Tadhg and Caoimhe on Aungier Street between the Dáil and Ranelagh'

If a number of glasses are dropped in a pub what is the correct response? a) Help the barman or b) Cheer!

If pub closes at 12 and last bus is at 11. What time should you leave to go home? A: The walk will do you good.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056535391

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

If someone says something about 'those fecking black and tans' they're not being racist. Well they might be, but only against English people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Girls make out in greeting?

yes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Don't ever trust buses, they'll always let you down

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

How do Irish men express attraction?

I think you'll figure that out sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dara O'Brein on English/Irish relations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

If a guy says "I'd love ta ride the hole off ya" He thinks that you are a cutey.

"How am i fixed" means the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The Irish weather isn't exactly part of the culture but it's best to pack an extra suitcase full of galoshes /rain gear .The extra charge on the suitcase at check in will be worth it in the end . :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WickedWest

Cokeistan wrote: »
    I think the best piece of advice I could give you would be to not live on College Road as your house is likely to get robbed (not a certainty but a hell of a lot more likely than if you were living in a different area)

Robbed? Is it that bad?
    I would recommend to not come across as stereotypical American, e.g. saying OMG and other phrases that are associated with American women. I'm not saying every American says these things but it seems to be a common enough view.

Most Americans (or at least those who've passed middle school) don't say OMG, hahaha.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Robbed, robbery = burgled, burglary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Copper Face Jacks

Tayto

Three-in-one

That is all. Go forth and shift/flick/lob the gob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Are you talking about Gaelic or just the vast amount of slang? I'm not sure I could learn an entire language in such a short amount of time :/

If the great Yu Ming can do it, anybody with moderate intelligence can do it:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Also, it's not called Gaelic, it's Gaeilge. Everyone calls it Irish though. We speak English as our first language, and very few people outside Gaeltacht areas (where Irish is spoken on a daily basis - they're bilinguals) have a decent level of the language.

beazee wrote: »

A simple test for you:
    You are told that someone is "going spare," should you (a) Find him a job (b) Find him a girlfriend (c) Avoid him

Ming the Merciless is (a) A comic book character (b) A TD and Mayor from Co. Roscommon

What is a holy show? (a) Religious programming (b) Something garish worn without the wearer knowing the impact

If a feature on the RTE news reports that an incident took place at tea time what time did the incident occur? 4PM?

If someone was a 'gas man', would they (a) work for the gas company (b) be really funny

You'll get "some land" means (a) you're about to become the owner of some property (b) you're about to be surprised

Do you have an ineradicable belief in the restorative powers of flat 7up? I suppose? I only drink it if my stomach is upset...

When you're telling someone a great yarn and they implore you to "Stop," do you (a) stop (b) keep going with gusto

If someone offers to "put you in the pot", should you (a) flee from the cannibals (b) accept their kind offer of dinner

If a fire alarm goes off how long should you spend looking for the fire before getting back to work? Until you find it?

Deadly buzz means (a) a great time (b) a lethal Toy Story character or (c) a faulty vibrator ?

Question: In Dublin what word can get you any relevant information you require from a friend? Answer: 'Story?'

Who would be the correct recipient of a brown envelope ? a) The postman b) a politician

Was Bosco a Strings Down or Hand Up the Jaxie kind of Puppet? Umm... Strings down?

Do you say to people* You must call round sometime* and expect never to see that person , ever? No.

Pronounce 'The Taoiseach and Tánaiste met Tadhg and Caoimhe on Aungier Street between the Dáil and Ranelagh'. You'll never know if I pronounced it right or not ;)

If a number of glasses are dropped in a pub what is the correct response? a) Help the barman or b) Cheer!

If pub closes at 12 and last bus is at 11. What time should you leave to go home? A: The walk will do you good.

My answers, am I right?

Robbed, robbery = burgled, burglary.

Haha, I know what a robbery is, I was wondering if crime was pretty bad in Cork (or Ireland as a whole).

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Haha, I know what a robbery is, I was wondering if crime was pretty bad in Cork (or Ireland as a whole).

Crime isn't bad in Cork in general. I've never been burgled nor do I know anybody who has been.

Areas where many students live, like the College Road, are often seen as soft targets though.

Well you can use it in the following circumstance:

'I'd like a pint of Bulmers and a packet of taytos please.'

'That'll be €6.20.'

'Feckin robbery.'

ICANN wrote: »
    Well you can use it in the following circumstance:

'I'd like a pint of Bulmers and a packet of taytos please.'

'That'll be €6.20.'

'Feckin robbery.'

We call that Highway Robbery in good ole Lincoln, Nebraska!

We call that Highway Robbery in good ole Lincoln, Nebraska!

You see we don't have highways, still a case of mud track and donkey carts around these parts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Instead of numbers, we count in garden implements:D

One, two, rake, wheelbarrow, shovel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

My answers, am I right?

So near and yet so far, some right some wrong, more study needed here's some help

Bosco was hands up/wooden spoon jobhttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTP2UB8NJPjoRxUeptGvl8w8d0bikKLqrXmqZVPNwGWanVawZMa

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

beazee wrote: »

A simple test for you:

Incorrect - c. He's angry

Incorrect - B

Correct

Incorrect - B (Penny's, €4 or Got it on sale are also acceptable)

If a feature on the RTE news reports that an incident took place at tea time what time did the incident occur? 4PM?

Incorrect - Noon (12pm ish) (we don't do specific time here. Around half 2 is the best you could hope for, expect them.at 3)

Correct

Technically correct, but in certain parts of Dublin it means b.

Correct

Correct

Do you have an ineradicable belief in the restorative powers of flat 7up? I suppose? I only drink it if my stomach is upset...

Correct - just so theres no confusion, it cures everything.

Incorrect - b. It kinda shows disbelief, but they really want to here the end.

Correct

Incorrect - c. Usage: Thete was a take of em there!

If a fire alarm goes off how long should you spend looking for the fire before getting back to work? Until you find it?

Incorrect - Apx 10 seconds. A false alarm is assumed after that, the fire alarm is a nuisance after that. It should be ignored, possibly disconnected if that's an option

Correct

Correct

Was Bosco a Strings Down or Hand Up the Jaxie kind of Puppet? Umm... Strings down?

Incorrect - I suggest you watch bosco, just don't go through the magic door.

Do you say to people* You must call round sometime* and expect never to see that person , ever? No.

Incorrect - you see we are nice to peoples face, even if we dislike them. Were very polite altogether.

Pronounce 'The Taoiseach and Tánaiste met Tadhg and Caoimhe on Aungier Street between the Dáil and Ranelagh'. You'll never know if I pronounced it right or not ;)

The tee shock and the taw nish ta met tie ge and q wee va on ain ger street between the dawl and ran a la

Incorrect - cheer. Clap also.

My answers, am I right?

Corrected.

micropig wrote: »

Wait just a second... You can't be saying that a wheelbarrow is considered smaller than a shovel!

Fun fact of the day: Up until about a year ago, I though it was pronounced wheelbarrel :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

micropig wrote: »

Wait just a second... You can't be saying that a wheelbarrow is considered smaller than a shovel!

Fun fact of the day: Up until about a year ago, I though it was pronounced wheelbarrel :rolleyes:

Debatable. We have some big.shovels...

• Advertisement

Corrected.

I'm so disappointed in myself :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement