Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City of Culture 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Advertised where across Europe? What cities? What Tv channels/newspapers etc? Paid for by whom?

Or are you talking about profile? if so without googling who has had the title of European City of Culture since, indeed who can honestly name the current holder?

Having lived in Cork during 2005, I can confirm that the businesses in Cork believed it to be a damp squid, this is no fault of the people of Cork who have every right to be proud of their city, unfortunately these Culture years often are,just look at Derry at the moment, the feeling on the ground there is the same.

You are right the revamping of Patricks St was a big improvement for the city, but that had been planned long before the City of Culture, take it from someone who's job involved spending time in a lot of the buildings on Patrick St it is not just the street and footpaths that need revamping, and having walked the street last month you have the same amount of empty units on Patricks St as you do on O'Connell St, so by your own argument it was a waste of money...yes you have a lot more people on the street, but Cork City is three times the size of Limerick, whilst the city centre is only margionally bigger.

For the record, I enjoy Cork and its city centre, as I do Limericks, to suggest that there is a marked difference in aesthetics is a bit of a stretch.

Not for the first time Grenach, your pure disdain for all things Limerick is blinding you from the reality of where you now live.

Ah come on, the City Centre in Limerick is nowhere near as impressive as that of Cork's. Even forgetting about the recent pedestrian friendly upgrade of Patrick St, the buildings on the street itself are far more pretty. Compare the Brown Thomas building on Patrick St with that on O'Connell St? Or Grand Parade and South Mall to anything Limerick has. It's almost like the haves and have nots. Bar the recent upgrades on Thomas St/Bedford and along the River front, Limerick City Centre is an absolute eye sore. Have you been on upper Catherine St lately? or up by Colbert Station? they are a total disgrace, and this is the first images many visitors coming by bus and rail will see. And that's coming from a Limerick man.

I don't criticise for the fun of it, or because I dislike the place. I'm merely being constructive. But most Limerick people get the hump when any truth is pointed out to them.

They can't take constructive criticism at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

grenache wrote: »
    Ah come on, the City Centre in Limerick is nowhere near as impressive as that of Cork's. Even forgetting about the recent pedestrian friendly upgrade of Patrick St, the buildings on the street itself are far more pretty. Compare the Brown Thomas building on Patrick St with that on O'Connell St? Or Grand Parade and South Mall to anything Limerick has. It's almost like the haves and have nots. Bar the recent upgrades on Thomas St/Bedford and along the River front, Limerick City Centre is an absolute eye sore. Have you been on upper Catherine St lately? or up by Colbert Station? they are a total disgrace, and this is the first images many visitors coming by bus and rail will see. And that's coming from a Limerick man.

I don't criticise for the fun of it, or because I dislike the place. I'm merely being constructive. But most Limerick people get the hump when any truth is pointed out to them.

They can't take constructive criticism at all.

Because most Limerick people do not agree with you

You are not being constructive (saying you are doesn't make it so)

You do have an obvious dislike for LC (you're posts are consistently negative)

Your "truth" doesn't make it fact, it is your obviously tainted view that is shaping your opinion...

Any city with a large Georgian Quarter is seldom unattractive, any city with the nations biggest broad clean river running thru the city centre is seldom unattractive, any city with a backdrop of a big castle and cathedral is seldom unattractive, add to that the People's Park (which IMO is the nicest urban park outside Dublin) the beautiful UL campus, the large choice of riverside walks the suburbs have to offer, the market, the cafe culture that has thrived in the city centre in recent years and it ain't as bad as you make it out to be, not even close...

Sure there are areas that need to be improved, in some cases urgent need but are you telling me that Cork is flawless, that North Main St, Washington St, McCurtain St Parnell Place, that area down by Jurys Inn, Merchants Quay, Blarney St, couldn't do with a lick of paint....you are deluded son...and like I said, I do like Cork, it is a great place, a fine city...if you took your blinkers off you'd see what the rest of us see...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Advertised where across Europe? What cities? What Tv channels/newspapers etc? Paid for by whom?

Or are you talking about profile? if so without googling who has had the title of European City of Culture since, indeed who can honestly name the current holder?

Having lived in Cork during 2005, I can confirm that the businesses in Cork believed it to be a damp squid, this is no fault of the people of Cork who have every right to be proud of their city, unfortunately these Culture years often are,just look at Derry at the moment, the feeling on the ground there is the same.

You are right the revamping of Patricks St was a big improvement for the city, but that had been planned long before the City of Culture, take it from someone who's job involved spending time in a lot of the buildings on Patrick St it is not just the street and footpaths that need revamping, and having walked the street last month you have the same amount of empty units on Patricks St as you do on O'Connell St, so by your own argument it was a waste of money...yes you have a lot more people on the street, but Cork City is three times the size of Limerick, whilst the city centre is only margionally bigger.

For the record, I enjoy Cork and its city centre, as I do Limericks, to suggest that there is a marked difference in aesthetics is a bit of a stretch.

Not for the first time Grenach, your pure disdain for all things Limerick is blinding you from the reality of where you now live.

Is Cork city three times bigger than Limerick city...certainly doesn't feel like it if it is and I always get the sense that Limerick city centre feels larger and more city like than Cork city centre..maybe it's just an illusion due to the layout of Lim City centre with the long wide Georgian streets and grid pattern and also the traffic plan in Limerick with its 2/3 lane one way system throughout the cc. O'Connell street in Limerick is without doubt a much longer street than St.Patrick street in Cork..O Connell street is very long being over 1km. But I have to agree Cork city centre is presented better than Limerick cc. Visually they are very differnt cities both in layout and architecture with Limerick being extensively Georgian which in areas is almost identical to parts of Dublin. I think Cork suits tourists better because like Galway it has more of that Irish charm and charachter that they expect with the narrow cobbled lanes,brightly painted buildings etc. When I'm in Cork I almost get the feeling that I'm in a small tourist town due to most of the streets such as North Main street,Oliver Plunkett street,Castle street etc being like streets you would find in most tourist towns and the restriction of traffic in the immediate cc. In relation to the buildings,Patrick Street in Cork has some impressive structures..Brown Thomas being an example. Unfortunately, O' Connell street in Limerick has lost the main architectural gems such as Cannocks (currently Pennys)which was a stunning building with a landmark clock, Todds (currently Brown Thomas) old building was another impressive ornate structure that was destroyed in the late 50's because of an accidental fire..it also had a stunning entrance on William street which had to be knocked due to the damage caused by the fire. There were also a number of ornate buildings on Sarsfield street which are sadly gone too. Depressingly anywhere you see an ugly 60's style building in the city centre was once a very impressive piece of architecture. In saying all that both Cork and Limerick have their strengths but Limericks reputation is something that always goes against it with people that haven't even been there having something negative to say or people avoiding the place completely due to their fear of being attacked etc.

Cannocks(Currently Pennys).jpg

Cannocks (Now Pennys).jpg

Todds (Now Brown Thomas).jpg

Sarsfield-Street.jpg

Just an example of all the lost buildings in Limerick city centre. The place is practically unrecognisable..it's a pity that the buildings that were lost weren't restored to their original facades as it would make a major difference..I can't understand how Brown Thomas can't do something with the current structure as its so ugly and right in the centre of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Cannocks really looks a smashing building in those pics.

When did Cannocks as it was then get turned into the current Pennys' building?

Can remember when Cruises street did not exist and Cruises hotel stood there, and can remember buildings like Spaights etc., but for the life of me I cannot remember Cannocks. Was it knocked/refurbished in the 1970's or earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Kess73 wrote: »

Can remember when Cruises street did not exist and Cruises hotel stood there, and can remember buildings like Spaights etc., but for the life of me I cannot remember Cannocks. Was it knocked/refurbished in the 1970's or earlier?

Limerick has a history of those in charge vandalising their own city, from allowing building in the People's Park to the appalling decision to submit the beautiful Lyric Cinema to the wrecking ball.

And a case could be made for hanging on to the Ranks grain silos on the dock road, amazing what has been done to similar buildings in New England and other places.

As for William Street , it is not so long ago that lots of it looked like this and all in red brick.

Wasn't it...can you imagine if it still stood today..it was the most imposing iconic building in the centre of Limerick...such a pity as the 60's architecture is very unimpressive and just ugly!There's not much info online but I've read that the landmark clock tower was demolished in the 1960's...that whole block has completely changed. Arthurs Quay was destroyed too as was the Cruises Hotel..it's unreal how much is lost!I've attached a pic of the burnt out facade of the William street entrance of Brown Thomas, you can get an idea of how impressive it was but again is now replaced by more 60's crap that does nothing for the streetscape. Most of the really impressive buildings that existed in the retail core of the city centre have unfortunately been lost and replaced by buildings that leave Limerick with little to no charachter as the new stuff is soulless.
    Brown Thomas side entrance William street (previously Todds).jpg

marienbad wrote: »
    Limerick has a history of those in charge vandalising their own city, from allowing building in the People's Park to the appalling decision to submit the beautiful Lyric Cinema to the wrecking ball.

And a case could be made for hanging on to the Ranks grain silos on the dock road, amazing what has been done to similar buildings in New England and other places.

As for William Street , it is not so long ago that lots of it looked like this and all in red brick.

Forgot about Boyds. Loved the toy section when I was a kid. Was another good looking building.

Wasn't it...can you imagine if it still stood today..it was the most imposing iconic building in the centre of Limerick...such a pity as the 60's architecture is very unimpressive and just ugly!There's not much info online but I've read that the landmark clock tower was demolished in the 1960's...that whole block has completely changed. Arthurs Quay was destroyed too as was the Cruises Hotel..it's unreal how much is lost!I've attached a pic of the burnt out facade of the William street entrance of Brown Thomas, you can get an idea of how impressive it was but again is now replaced by more 60's crap that does nothing for the streetscape. Most of the really impressive buildings that existed in the retail core of the city centre have unfortunately been lost and replaced by buildings that leave Limerick with little to no charachter as the new stuff is souless.
    Brown Thomas side entrance William street (previously Todds).jpg

Can remember Arthurs Quay as it used to look and the car park that was beside the river as it used to flood at times.

From a cultural pov, some fantastic buildings have been lost over the past 30 years or so.

I think that Limerick up to the late 80's or maybe even the early 90's had far more buildings that added some real character to the city. The Theatre Royal, the Central, the Carlton, the Savoy, Boyds, Cruises Hotel, Spaights, and many others all had a certain something to their exteriors and/or their interiors. Many of them felt unique to Limerick (and many made me think of the North West of England) whereas a lot of the buildings that replaced them could be from anywhere in Ireland or Britain.

A lot of new builds can turn out to be pleasing on the eye, and many age very well, but unfortunately many are just bland functional buildings that date quickly, that look aesthetically unpleasing, and that clash badly with other buildings in the area creating a mish mash of styles/looks.

Would also love to see some of the Georgian buildings in the city centre being converted into mid to high value accomodation with as many of the original features as possible being restored/recreated. It would improve the look of a number of city blocks and also move some potential spending power into the city centre.

022-Bank-of-Ireland-Limerick-and-Buddys-Bar-William-Street-Limerick.jpg Here is the old Bank of Ireland on O'Connell street at the corner of Bedford Row that is now a new modern building...I can't get over how nearly anything of architectural value is completely lost in the core of the city..at least the Georgian area is pretty much still intact!!
    012-Sarsfield-Street...where the closed Dunnes stores is currently as you come over Sarsfield Br.jpg What used to stand where the old Dunnes on Sarsfield street currently exists.

Just to highlight the depressing contrast..Limerick today:

Brown Thomas today.jpg
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Limerick.jpg

• Advertisement

Love the look of that building which was there before the Dunnes on Sarsfield street. Just imagine a cleaned up version of that today with a museum and/or art gallery in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

A lot of building do survive but you would never see it with the appalling frontage now tacked . There are some nice ones direct opposite Brown Thomas on O'Connell St. and a few on William St.

Look up I suppose , but then accidents will happen if we all walk around like that .

We are just so bad at preserving the old in our city though, latest is all those lovely trees chopped down all along Howley's Quay, what that all about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Is Cork city three times bigger than Limerick city...certainly doesn't feel like it if it is and I always get the sense that Limerick city centre feels larger and more city like than Cork city centre..maybe it's just an illusion due to the layout of Lim City centre with the long wide Georgian streets and grid pattern and also the traffic plan in Limerick with its 2/3 lane one way system throughout the cc. O'Connell street in Limerick is without doubt a much longer street than St.Patrick street in Cork..O Connell street is very long being over 1km long. But I have to agree Cork city centre is presented better than Limerick cc. Visually they are very differnt cities both in layout and architecture with Limerick being extensively Georgian which in areas is almost identical to parts of Dublin. I think Cork suits tourists better because like Galway it has more of that Irish charm and charachter that they expect with the narrow cobbled lanes,brightly painted buildings etc. When I'm in Cork I almost get the feeling that I'm in a small tourist town due to most of the streets such as North Main street,Oliver Plunkett street,Castle street etc being like streets you would find in most tourist towns and the restriction of traffic in the immediate cc. In relation to the buildings,Patrick Street in Cork has some impressive structures..Brown Thomas being an example. Unfortunately, O' Connell street in Limerick has lost the main architectural gems such as Cannocks (currently Pennys)which was a stunning building with a landmark clock, Todds (currently Brown Thomas) old building was another impressive ornate structure that was destroyed in the late 50's because of an accidental fire..it also had a stunning entrance on William street which had to be knocked due to the damage caused by the fire. There were also a number of ornate buildings on Sarsfield street which are sadly gone too. Depressingly anywhere you see an ugly 60's style building in the city centre was once a very impressive piece of architecture. In saying all that both Cork and Limerick have their strengths but Limericks reputation is something that always goes against it with people that haven't even been there having something negative to say or people avoiding the place completely due to their fear of being attacked etc.

I agree with your saying about Limerick but i don't think Cork city centre is just another version of Galway!Cork certainly does feel like a city but the city centre is more of a radiant shape than Limerick city centre.In fairness walk down Patrick Street Grand Parade South Mall Parnell Place and Merchants Quay and you'd have a good bit of distance covered!I'd also consider inner city streets like Barrack and Shandon Streets as in the city centre.O'Connell Street in Limerick is probably the longest main street in Ireland but the main area for shopping in O'Connell Street would be from Cruises Street down as far as the junction with Roches Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Is Cork city three times bigger than Limerick city...certainly doesn't feel like it if it is and I always get the sense that Limerick city centre feels larger and more city like than Cork city centre..maybe it's just an illusion due to the layout of Lim City centre with the long wide Georgian streets and grid pattern and also the traffic plan in Limerick with its 2/3 lane one way system throughout the cc. O'Connell street in Limerick is without doubt a much longer street than St.Patrick street in Cork..O Connell street is very long being over 1km long. But I have to agree Cork city centre is presented better than Limerick cc. Visually they are very differnt cities both in layout and architecture with Limerick being extensively Georgian which in areas is almost identical to parts of Dublin. I think Cork suits tourists better because like Galway it has more of that Irish charm and charachter that they expect with the narrow cobbled lanes,brightly painted buildings etc. When I'm in Cork I almost get the feeling that I'm in a small tourist town due to most of the streets such as North Main street,Oliver Plunkett street,Castle street etc being like streets you would find in most tourist towns and the restriction of traffic in the immediate cc. In relation to the buildings,Patrick Street in Cork has some impressive structures..Brown Thomas being an example. Unfortunately, O' Connell street in Limerick has lost the main architectural gems such as Cannocks (currently Pennys)which was a stunning building with a landmark clock, Todds (currently Brown Thomas) old building was another impressive ornate structure that was destroyed in the late 50's because of an accidental fire..it also had a stunning entrance on William street which had to be knocked due to the damage caused by the fire. There were also a number of ornate buildings on Sarsfield street which are sadly gone too. Depressingly anywhere you see an ugly 60's style building in the city centre was once a very impressive piece of architecture. In saying all that both Cork and Limerick have their strengths but Limericks reputation is something that always goes against it with people that haven't even been there having something negative to say or people avoiding the place completely due to their fear of being attacked etc.

Ya it is, I believe, taking into consideration the suburbs of Ballincollig/Carrigaline/Blarney etc it is between 2.5/3 times bigger than Limerick, it also has a further 200,000 county residents the vast majority of whom won't hear a bad word being spoke of their city and county, quite rightly I have to add.

I do agree with you tho, it does feel smaller than Limerick for some strange reason, probably like you say because of our grid like city centre, I think the main st of a town can set the tone for the city, on that basis I think that Patrick St in Cork is the country's finest main st, it has an impact that we should consider when we mention O'Connell St, if you compare Bedford Row and Thomas St to what they were to what they are now you can begin to image what impact a similar job on O'Connell St would have.

Instead of looking at what we don't have however, look at what we do have and enjoy it, take a look thru the photo thread in this forum, the attractiveness of this city cannot be denied, I remember when Limerick back in the late 80s was very drab, someone mentioned Spaights earlier, I'm sorry but Spaights was an eysore, Henry St improved the day it was knocked, just my opinion mind...a good place to start is King John's Castle, walk from there across the bridge to the treaty stone, walk down to the new bridge, over and around...it takes about 40mins...well worth it.

The reputation we unfairly have is thankfully beginning to fade, but that will take time, what would be a huge step forward would be if we took a leaf out of neighbours book, and instead of knocking the city, even if it feels justified, talk it up, if we can't sell our city we cannot expect people to buy in...

Ya it is, I believe, taking into consideration the suburbs of Ballincollig/Carrigaline/Blarney etc it is between 2.5/3 times bigger than Limerick, it also has a further 200,000 county residents the vast majority of whom won't hear a bad word being spoke of their city and county, quite rightly I have to add.

I do agree with you tho, it does feel smaller than Limerick for some strange reason, probably like you say because of our grid like city centre, I think the main st of a town can set the tone for the city, on that basis I think that Patrick St in Cork is the country's finest main st, it has an impact that we should consider when we mention O'Connell St, if you compare Bedford Row and Thomas St to what they were to what they are now you can begin to image what impact a similar job on O'Connell St would have.

Instead of looking at what we don't have however, look at what we do have and enjoy it, take a look thru the photo thread in this forum, the attractiveness of this city cannot be denied, I remember when Limerick back in the late 80s was very drab, someone mentioned Spaights earlier, I'm sorry but Spaights was an eysore, Henry St improved the day it was knocked, just my opinion mind...a good place to start is King John's Castle, walk from there across the bridge to the treaty stone, walk down to the new bridge, over and around...it takes about 40mins...well worth it.

The reputation we unfairly have is thankfully beginning to fade, but that will take time, what would be a huge step forward would be if we took a leaf out of neighbours book, and instead of knocking the city, even if it feels justified, talk it up, if we can't sell our city we cannot expect people to buy in...

Are Blarney and Carrigaline regarded as Cork city suburbs as they are not part of the urban footprint from the city. There's noticeable countryside leaving cork city to get to those villages. If thats the case why are Castleconnell,Patrickswell etc not regarded as suburbs of Limerick. I agree about how remodelling works on O'Connell street would really enhance the city, however there seems to be no sign of this happening anytime soon. It's great that they are improving the river front by Clohessys pub but I think O'Connell street should be priority number one as the river front wasn't in desperate need for a makeover..O'Connell street badly needs a revamp. I've said it many times on here before but even the planting of lots of trees would be a vast improvement to give the street an avenue feel as its so straight and long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

An event titled 'That's Limerick' was held in Dublin to showcase what the city will have to offer during its reign as City of Culture. http://www.limerickleader.ie/lifestyle/entertainment-arts/dance-comedy/that-s-limerick-brilliant-event-showcases-city-1-5207169
    It was organised by the Shannon Region Conference and Sports Bureau and featured hotels, restaurants, and cultural groups from the city and county.

Are Blarney and Carrigaline regarded as Cork city suburbs as they are not part of the urban footprint from the city. There's noticeable countryside leaving cork city to get to those villages. If thats the case why are Castleconnell,Patrickswell etc not regarded as suburbs of Limerick. I agree about how remodelling works on O'Connell street would really enhance the city, however there seems to be no sign of this happening anytime soon. It's great that they are improving the river front by Clohessys pub but I think O'Connell street should be priority number one as the river front wasn't in desperate need for a makeover..O'Connell street badly needs a revamp. I've said it many times on here before but even the planting of lots of trees would be a vast improvement to give the street an avenue feel as its so straight and long.

They are not regarded as being part of Cork City or it's suburbs. Both are officially listed as being in county Cork and outside of the city boundaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

They are not regarded as being part of Cork City or it's suburbs. Both are officially listed as being in county Cork and outside of the city boundaries.

I believe the term would be commuter towns. Like Castleconnell or Cratloe, would be to Limerick. The majority of the population would be employed in the city and would travel in and out daily.

source wrote: »
    I believe the term would be commuter towns. Like Castleconnell or Cratloe, would be to Limerick. The majority of the population would be employed in the city and would travel in and out daily.

They would indeed be commuter towns. I was just replying to Cityslicker's question as to whether the named areas were regarded as part of the suburbs of Cork city.

They would indeed be commuter towns. I was just replying to Cityslicker's question as to whether the named areas were regarded as part of the suburbs of Cork city.

Thanks for clearing that up as I was a bit confused when a previous poster stated that Cork city is three times the size of Limerick city and that those villages were suburbs of Cork. I never get the feeling that Cork is a whole pile bigger than Limerick and even Lim city centre gives me a sense that it's more vast and city like..just my opinion on a trivial matter! Corks population is broken up into three categories: Cork city population,Metropolitan Cork (which include Corks satellite towns such as Blarney,Cobh, Midleton etc) and Greater Cork. Why doesn't Limerick have a metropolitan population like Cork to include villages such as Castleconnell,Patrickswell etc??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Yeah I got that, I just hit reply on the wrong post.

Thanks for clearing that up as I was a bit confused when a previous poster stated that Cork city is three times the size of Limerick city and that those villages were suburbs of Cork. I never get the feeling that Cork is a whole pile bigger than Limerick and even Lim city centre gives me a sense that it's more vast and city like..just my opinion on a trivial matter! Corks population is broken up into three categories: Cork city population,Metropolitan Cork (which include Corks satellite towns such as Blarney,Cobh, Midleton etc) and Greater Cork. Why doesn't Limerick have a metropolitan population like Cork to include villages such as Castleconnell,Patrickswell etc??

Cork city centre would be a lot bigger than Limerick city centre, but I think many get the impression that Cork City centre is smaller than it is because a lot of people seem to only think of Patrick Street/Grand Parade/South Mall when thinking of Cork city centre.

Cork's suburbs would also be bigger (in terms of number of buildings) imo and more sprawling than those of Limerick City.

But I think in terms of city boundaries, Limerick City actually covers more square km than Cork City does. Pretty sure it is a case of Cork City and suburbs having more buildings etc., than Limerick city despite technically having a smaller city boundary. Would have to double check that though.

In terms of population Cork city/suburbs would probably be two or three times that of Limerick City/suburbs, and if you then decided to take into account the nearby commuter towns in county Limerick and County Cork, then Cork would be well ahead again in terms of population.

A commuter town like Carrigaline and it's environs would probably match the combined populations of Newcastle West, Adare, Castleconnell, Patrickswell, and Kilmallock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Cork city is smaller than Limerick, but has twice the population. When the suburbs are included Cork is way bigger than Limerick, but still only has about twice the population.
    Got these figures from the CSO website

Limerick City and suburbs
    Area (Sq km) 57 (City 51.3 km)
    Population (including Suburbs or Environs) (Number) 91,454
    Population within Legally Defined Boundary (Number) 57,106

Area (Sq km) 494 (City 37.3)
    Population (including Suburbs or Environs) (Number) 198,582
    Population within Legally Defined Boundary (Number) 119,230

Has anyone seen the new building across from the train station. I noticed it yesterday coming out of the station as it completely changes that section of the streetscape. It's a fantastic looking structure because it has that old ornate elegant look to it instead of the glassy souless modern stuff that is usually thrown up. It would be great if an ugly buliding like Brown Thomas on O'Connell street could implement the design of a similar type building to revamp what currently stands as this new building is definitely one of the nicest new buildings I've seen in Limerick in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I have not seen it lately but that must be the new sports museum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

Has anyone seen the new building across from the train station. I noticed it yesterday coming out of the station as it completely changes that section of the streetscape. It's a fantastic looking structure because it has that old ornate elegant look to it instead of the glassy souless modern stuff that is usually thrown up. It would be great if an ugly buliding like Brown Thomas on O'Connell street could implement the design of a similar type building to revamp what currently stands as this new building is definitely one of the nicest new buildings I've seen in Limerick in a long time.

I was told it's a new casino - high-end, meant for dressy nights out & entertaining tourists in the evenings after their day trips to Moher & Blarney.

Limerick Local Authorities have bought The Georgian House from Limerick Civic Trust. It will become the City of Culture headquarters. It strikes me as a perfect spot for the office, raising the profile of the Georgian part of the city.

€6 million has been allocated for the city of culture in this weeks budget. That is what was requested by the organising committee and works out at a little over €100,000 per week.

City of Culture 2014 programme was launched in the old Daghda Space on John's Square today. There's a whole lot of stuff going on next year. Some highlights;

New years eve party. Bands, light parade, and fireworks around the castle and the potato market.

Horse Outside Parade. Seems to be a horse version of the Cow Parade that has been touring the world for the past while.

Fullscale Riverdance performance. 6 night run to 2,500 crowd in UL Arena.

People's Museum. House on Rutland Street to be turned into a temporary museum.

All info here: http://limerickcityofculture.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

Must try to get down for New years eve.

Advertisement