Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaghan United withdraw from LoI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Xavi6 wrote: »
    FAI statement on the way shortly apparently, cannot wait to read it.

It'll probably be released on the Comedy Central website!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭not1but4

monkey9 wrote: »
    Daniel McDonnell ‏@McDonnellDan
    One club gone, another having a big meeting tomorrow, but the powers that be will still insist that Irish football is going the right way.

Dundalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

That_Guy wrote: »
    Thought this tweet was a bit harsh from @RTEMNS

As a Bohs season ticket holder and someone who was at the Ireland-Spain game I find it very harsh. Reactionary and stupid. But it's ok, they qualified it afterward by saying "I'm not blaming or saying its there fault, I just think its a sad situation." - if you're not saying it's our fault, why even relate the two things?
    I'm sure I'm not the only one feels it was an unjust comment for similar reasons, just throwing my 2 cents in.
    Sad times. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

One club gone, another having a big meeting tomorrow, but the powers that be will still insist that Irish football is going the right way.
    whose having the big meeting? between various things iv fallen out of the loop lately.
    sad news though. league really couldnt afford to lose another club. 19 in the league now. at this point it really is just fire everyone into the one division. just a matter of do more get cut and its 16. shame though would always have said a second level between the premier and regional was necessary. ideally id like to see a few let in next year to avoid just the 1 tier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Tragic, no game for Sligo this week affects our finances too.

Disaster all round, wish we could have a decent functioning league and people would get out and support their local team, as a Sligo man in Dublin, I support Dublin teams nearly as much as I get to the showgrounds. There is a quality product there to be enjoyed.

not1but4 wrote: »
    Dundalk?

That'd be my guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Thought this tweet was a bit harsh from @RTEMNS

stephen maher ‏@stephenmaher07
    Nice to find out you've no club over twitter @ExtratimeNews@RTEMNS

@RTEMNS @extratimenews the chairman is disgrace , nobody told Me

Bit harsher(sp?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Squelchy wrote: »
    As a Bohs season ticket holder and someone who was at the Ireland-Spain game I find it very harsh. Reactionary and stupid. But it's ok, they qualified it afterward by saying "I'm not blaming or saying its there fault, I just think its a sad situation." - if you're not saying it's our fault, why even relate the two things?
    I'm sure I'm not the only one feels it was an unjust comment for similar reasons, just throwing my 2 cents in.
    Sad times. :(

I get where they're coming from but they should direct anger at the FAI and the hierarchy instead of fans going to support the national team in their first major tournament since 2002.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Bit harsher(sp?)

That's poor form.... Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

they should direct anger at the FAI and the hierarchy instead of fans going to support the national team in their first major tournament since 2002.

Exactly. It was a brainless reactionary comment.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Bit harsher(sp?)

Just posted from Monaghan's Twitter account.
    Mons chairman informed manager & squad reps prior to press release issuing so they could inform all players before the news broke.

Monaghan United FC ‏@MonaghanUtdFC
    Mons chairman informed manager & squad reps prior to press release issuing so they could inform all players before the news broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I dont know what the solution is but FAI need to get people interested in Irish Domestic Soccer, otherwise more clubs will go.

Div 1 has 8 teams, would it be better to merge the 2 leagues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

First I've heard about it if it's Dundalk. Could be Sligo either. Aren't they offloading a load of their players? Think the big wages they've been paying out has started to hit home re club finances.

Pighead wrote: »
    First I've heard about it if it's Dundalk. Could be Sligo either. Aren't they offloading a load of their players? Think the big wages they've been paying out has started to hit home re club finances.

Could be any club really. Wonder how many clubs in the league are actually ok?

• Advertisement

Could be any club really. Wonder how many clubs in the league are actually ok?

Niall Quinn says pats are ok.

Ah yeah, Dundalk was just my guess. In this league, it could be anyone!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

That sucks for both the fans and the players. Was looking forward to heading to Gortakeegan on Friday week.
    From a purely selfish point of view it sucks even more, as that mean's we're bottom of the table after Monaghan's results are removed. Dundalk could only manage a draw in their 2 games against Monaghan while UCD got a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Has to be Sligo or Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭shanec1928

:pac::pac: id worry about your own club were sound.and were not "offloading" any players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭doney84

Just got a letter from Dundalk FC asking for a donation of €200 due to serious financial trouble. Says on the letter that it is being sent to hundreds of supporters ... not looking good :eek:

shanec1928 wrote: »
    were not "offloading" any players.

Heard differently. I'd be surprised if one or two of your squad are still there in the next month.

Very worrying about Dundalk. Serious questions about FAI licensing once more.

stovelid wrote: »
    Heard differently. I'd be surprised if one or two of your squad are still there in the next month.

Should there be a wage cap in the league, say only xxxx amount to be paid to a squad a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Sligo have to go from the 18th of May until the 7th July without a home gate now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭shanec1928

who have a clause if English club comes in theres only one place that will be to a club in Lancashire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Does anyone know the total wages per annum for all of the League of Ireland Clubs? Or even any info on current wages per week in the LOI clubs?

t is with great surprise and disappointment that news of Monaghan United's withdrawal from the league has reached us. Prior to this, no discussion had taken place with the PFAI nor was any indication of their impending withdrawal communicated to this association. No player we have spoken to was contacted by the club prior to the statement being released and many players first heard that they had lost their jobs through Twitter.

We find it extraordinary that no attempt was made to reach a solution with the players either directly with them or through this association. Situations like this have arisen in the past and agreements have been reached in order to keep a team in the league.

It is hugely disappointing that players and fans have seen a club withdraw from the league in these circumstances without an effort being made to explore all possibilities with the players.

It is, however, a relief to hear that all creditors will be paid and we assume that players wages which are currently in arrears and the remainder of their contracts will be honoured. We look forward to hearing from the club with details of how these payments will be made.

End

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

CiaranC wrote: »
    Sligo have to go from the 18th of May until the 7th July without a home gate now

We play Derry next Tuesday in the league cup?

We wont be reinstated in the FAI cup because they did not cheat.

Sorry for the Monaghan fans.

Should there be a wage cap in the league, say only xxxx amount to be paid to a squad a year?

You submit budget at the start of the year which includes how you intend to pay everyone. If its get approved you get a licence........

Kinda like collect 8 tokens get a badge thing except our clubs photocopy the tokens.

@pfai.

ffs

Mondog van is now the centre of a massive transfer tug of war.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    We play Derry next Tuesday in the league cup?
    Thats a split gate, no?

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    Thats a split gate, no?

Still something coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If Monaghan United are still in existence in any form, surely the player contracts are still valid

CSF wrote: »
    If Monaghan United are still in existence in any form, surely the player contracts are still valid

Maybe not being paid invalidates a contract? Does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

CSF wrote: »

My understanding is, only if the player wants it invalidated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Yes it does.

Nobody has said they havent been paid. Word is they are to pay all outstanding creditors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

shanec1928 wrote: »
    :pac::pac: id worry about your own club were sound.and were not "offloading" any players.
    I am worrying about my own club. And I'm not happy that I've heard that Sligo are struggling as well and have to offload players. I hope what I've heard is wrong but Sligo have really gone for broke this year paying big wages (Quigley on over a grand a week is huge for this league) so it makes sense if the rumours are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sometimes the clubs are their own worst enemies in all this.

No player in this league should be getting over a grand a week. That's madness. Have the clubs not got any sense. If a player looks for that sort of money the club should tell them where to go. Club survival is paramount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Spot on. A license should only be awarded if a club has demonsrated that they can fulfill their obligations over the course of a full season. And it should be in depth enough to seperate fact from fiction when it comes to club claims with respect to expected revenues...

• Advertisement

I am worrying about my own club. And I'm not happy that I've heard that Sligo are struggling as well and have to offload players. I hope what I've heard is wrong but Sligo have really gone for broke this year paying big wages (Quigley on over a grand a week is huge for this league) so it makes sense if the rumours are true.

Plus they're building that new stand behind the goal. It'll look great when it's finished, but hopefully it's all been done sensibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NIMAN wrote: »

No player in this league should be getting over a grand a week. That's madness. Have the clubs not got any sense. If a player looks for that sort of money the club should tell them where to go. Club survival is paramount.

It seems the majority of clubs have (and have always had) people involved in making operational decisions who are incapable of simple rational thought like the above. 'But this player could be the difference...'

It never ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Last season it cost €19,000 to enter a team in the Airtricity Premier League and the 'prize money was as following.

1.€100,000
    2.€45,000
    3.€25,000
    4.€15,000
    5.€10,000
    6.€7,500
    7.€6,000
    8.€5,000
    9.€5,000
    10.€5,000

Only the top three teams made their money back. It's no wonder Monaghan cited the entry fee as one of their main reasons, but it's all alright as long as that pisshead Delaney can pocket his €400,000 and throw a fee slabs of free beer around the place.

So when you get promoted, you can make a loss!!! Jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

More bad news for our badly run league ! Dundalk sending begging letters in june cannot be a good thing either ! Lots of there fans would rather be relegated and get rid of GM once and for all . My own club ( Drogs ) where very close to the wall a few years ago albeit under very different circumstances , as much as i cant stand dundalk i would hate to see them go bust .

Open to correction to but the league fees dont include the refs fees. usually around 1200 for a ref and 2 linesman, they obvisouly throw in the 4th official for free. (hence behind closed doors preseasons, you dont use real refs for them).

Addin security costs and you could make a loss on most matches.

Kinda glad we have 3 Dublin derbies in a row and had a bit of a break so fans well up for live games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Last season it cost €19,000 to enter a team in the Airtricity Premier League and the 'prize money was as following.

1.€100,000
    2.€45,000
    3.€25,000
    4.€15,000
    5.€10,000
    6.€7,500
    7.€6,000
    8.€5,000
    9.€5,000
    10.€5,000

Only the top three teams made their money back. It's no wonder Monaghan cited the entry fee as one of their main reasons, but it's all alright as long as that pisshead Delaney can pocket his €400,000 and throw a fee slabs of free beer around the place.

Jaysus, is that prize money set with a view to ensuring a cossetted few clubs remain viable, or just because the powers that be like watching clubs overeach themselves and go under? It seems almost guaranteed to foster chasing success until financial meltdown ensues.

NIMAN wrote: »

Incentive-based contracts make more sense for clubs that are challenging for honours. That way the players are motivated to do well and the club isn't tied into paying big wages without money coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I hope they stay in the FAI cup. They can field a team of locals. It would be a bit of a fundraiser as well if its a home draw and if its away I'm sure a lot more people would make the effort to get to the game given that its a split gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

1.€100,000
    2.€45,000
    3.€25,000
    4.€15,000
    5.€10,000
    6.€7,500
    7.€6,000
    8.€5,000
    9.€5,000
    10.€5,000

Do the clubs see any money from the games that are shown on RTÉ?

Do the clubs see any money from the games that are shown on RTÉ?

We used to, but I believe RTE still pay the money to the FAI but they keep it now. We just lose money on the gate now like that stupidly timed Saturday afternoon game beween Rovers and Shams when we lost a lot on the gate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement