Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaghan United withdraw from LoI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    The league overall is a joke. Salthill and Mervue get horrendous crowds, nowhere near enough to grow nevermind be sustainable in the long term. Prize money is awful, especially considering that spoofer's wages. Galway United never really had youth teams, not as long as I've been supporting them anyway. There are only 5 truly sustainable clubs, mostly around the Dublin area, and unless you have a sugardaddy or are based in an urban area you have no chance. It was also a farce that Monaghan got a licence considering the state of Gortakeegan. Same could be said about United Park, Carlisle Grounds etc.

United park got the licence because it meets the criteria set out in the licence . Whats the big deal about the ground anyway , its old and run down but its not dangerous or anything . Good atmosphere etc etc . what do people really want in a football ground ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

djpbarry wrote: »
    ...combined with absolutely no contingency and a complete absence of medium to long-term planning.

Well, there is that.... !

I was just arguing that increasing budgets if growth can be reasonably expected isn't daft practice per se: in fact, just about every company in growth mode does so, whether they realise it at the time or not.

I don't know the ins and outs on the Mons case, but it looks like the board banked on PL exposure bringing higher attendances and an appropriate sponsorship deal, and neither materialised.

Perhaps it was daft to assume either thing would happen (other posters are probably better informed about the football biz here than I) but I can see why sensible, experienced people would expect both things and accept the business risk of increased budgets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Like roddy and mons but this has been a triple egde sword for sligo rovers and i hope you excuse my selfishness for 3 reasons;
    1. last home league game , middle may - next league game july , hard to budget for that
    2 shams and pats get back dropped points ,
    3. were still out of the cup (rightly so)
    and witchie(magicme) , although i feel sorry for you as a person and your efforts, although i share your disappointment , its the people of monaghan who have let you down , not the sponsors , not the players and stop blaming the fai . A cheap out in my opinion.
    Would love to have more people like you involved in sligo.
    There are people on here that think that sligo are in trouble financially , but nothing can be further from the truth. not filthy rich but comfortable as a community club- if we lost rogers, peers, jason or danny north i would be disappointed but boco and dav have been poor all season and ventre is replaceable. and the showgrounds is hard to beat as a home ground (turners cross is comparable).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If clubs are getting average crowds of under 1k then they really should be amateur or close enough to it. Budget projections should always be based on a pessimistic outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If clubs are getting average crowds of under 1k then they really should be amateur or close enough to it. Budget projections should always be based on a pessimistic outlook.
    So how do you explain the part-time clubs who do make ends meet by budgeting realistically?

CSF wrote: »
    So how do you explain the part-time clubs who do make ends meet by budgeting realistically?

Hence being amateur or close enough to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

geeky wrote: »
    Perhaps it was daft to assume either thing would happen (other posters are probably better informed about the football biz here than I) but I can see why sensible, experienced people would expect both things and accept the business risk of increased budgets.
    Accept the risk, yeah, sure. But there has to be a contingency plan. If you're risking the demise of your entire operation, then you really should be re-evaluating things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We'd bring a bigger away crowd than Mons' home crowd so that does make a very big difference.

A bigger crowd once a year? Maybe 4 times a year for the clubs that might have a bigger travelling support, but hardly a "very big difference"?
    Maybe an two thousand through the gate (at a very optimistic level) in a season?
    That's not gonna be enough to get more money out of advertising, by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

kippy wrote: »
    Attendances dont magicilly go up when clubs get into a higher division playing attractive ties against shels and bohs.......
    :confused:

By all accounts, average attendances nearly double when a team achieves promotion.

• Advertisement

:confused:

By all accounts, average attendances nearly double when a team achieves promotion.
    Really? From 400-800?
    The point is, it's not near enough to force advertisers to pay more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Never a dull moment, but this incident has annoyed me more than most tbh.

I spend half my time banging on to mates about how they should support LoI, and I've actually gotten through to a few. But my god, what is the point? :mad:

OBVIOUSLY, they're part of the problem, but I don't blame barstoolers ignoring the league when shíte like this goes on. How can you expect to attract new fans when the cúnts at the top evidently dont give a damn. Delaney is a disgrace.

There's plenty of asterixes beside clubs names in the English leagues. So please cross that excuse off the list of why i don't go to LOI games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Saw this great post earlier, sums it up. Need to finish 3rd at least to not make a loss on entering the league(Apologies if already here):

Brilliant post from a user on the Drogs forum earlier shows how ridiculous football in this country is.

The league and football in the country is rotten to the core. But here is just a brief indication of the mentalness of the whole situation.

The cost of entry into the league of Ireland is 19k.

The breakdown of prize money is as follows:

So unless you finish top 3, you have already lost a minimum of 4k upon entry.

The 19k does not include matchday official costs. These are roughly 1200 per game, or roughly 120 tickets sold. Drogheda were due 17 home games this season before mons went. Thats a further 20,400 euro to be paid out. Therefore any club has outgoings of just under 40k in money paid out to the Fai before a ball is even kicked. The only real money you can budget to come in from the Fai is 5k.

Tv money has been taken away from clubs. Rte still fork out the money, but it goes directly to the Fai. The fai claim this trickles down into prize money.

In effect, very little prize money is offered from the Fai. There is something like a 5k difference in what is accumalated by the 19k entrance fees and total prize money. (The data is from last season when there was 10 teams, iv assumed that the extra two teams each get 5k as well, but the likelyhood is slim, meaning prize money would be less than what the clubs put in.)

In previous seasons, Cup finalists have had to pay a fee upon reaching the final to cover the costs of their own medals.

The fai make money from sponsors and television for the League. There are deals in place with EA, Ford, Newstalk, Lucozade, Eircom, Airtricity etc. etc. Where does this go?? Does money come from the Fai to the clubs in any other way? Or does it all go into the big debt? Bit ironic that the sponsors are claiming to be sponsors of the league then.

John Delaney currently earns 400k a year. Whilst employees of the Fai have been let go, his wages have increased under his own order. This is corruption and cronyism of the highest. Any one who seen the picture of the man in this weeks papers will know exactly what a tool he is.

The fai have also been known to be very quick to take money off clubs in the form of fines. My latest favourite is for shels fans signing "Rte is fcuking ****e!". Shelbourne have pleaded lately with their fans to stop mentioning delaney in songs as they cannot afford the repeated fines every time his name is mentioned. Delaney was stripped of his footwear and basically made a twat of by irish fans in Poland this week. Fine? Nah Money behind the bar for the lads having the craic!!

The past two weeks have been very bleak for Irish football. Were the club rumored to have a meeting tomorrow also go to the wall, then it could be said without a doubt, that what should have been two of the greatest weeks in Irish footballing history will go down as its darkest two. Delaney needs to walk on the back of the past two weeks. A complete revamp of the league is needed. The figures above make no sense and show exactly what monaghan were facing when they had tiny crowds and zero sponsorship. There but for the grace of god (well hunky doreys and the supporters) go us, and who knows this time next year it could be us. After looking into those figures a bit more, I have 100 times more respect for any body running a football club in this country.

I also have 100 times more respect for any one who continues to support the league. The general public of Monaghan should hang their heads in shame. They are a disgrace. Any other newly promoted club usually sees a boost in crowds. Mick cooke brought them to two cup semis and inches from the premier league. Roddy got them to the premier and yet they still couldnt even jump on a bandwagon.

Lestor and any other mons fan on here, I can only express my symphaties. I dont know what id end up doing where Drogheda to face the same fate. Hopefully you can keep the club going in some form and come back some day into hopefully a better ran league. I also hope you look down your nose at every monaghan person with a premier league jersey on.

AGC wrote: »
    The general public of Monaghan should hang their heads in shame. They are a disgrace.
    Because they didn't throw their weight behind a club that was being run on an unsustainable basis and ultimately had to drop out of the league?

Yeah. Shameful.

Because they didn't throw their weight behind a club that was being run on an unsustainable basis and ultimately had to drop out of the league?

Yeah. Shameful.

No, because there is probably more people from Monaghan over EPL games than at Gortakeegan all year.

How are they meant to be 'sustainable' when they are making a loss by even paying the entrance fee for the league alone?

The LoI is riddled with problems and it gets no help from the FAI. They can come out and say they gave them a grant of 100k here or 150k there but the problem is no one is monitoring what is being done.

How do they stand over the licence system??

In recent years Cobh, Kilkenny, Dublin city, Monaghan, Cork, Derry, Rovers etc have all passed the licence criteria and gone t*ts up in some manner, Bohs were blessed not to.

The whole structure needs changing and if people want to see improvements from the top, ie the national team they should support the league and the FAI should be trying to promote it as much as they can.

I have no problem with people going to watch EPL games but don't expect a strong Irish team if they don't go to their local club as well.

How are they meant to be 'sustainable' when they are making a loss by even paying the entrance fee for the league alone?
    If clubs united and refused to pay the entrance fee as it is, the FAI would be reducing it pretty quickly – what choice would they have?
    The LoI is riddled with problems and it gets no help from the FAI.
    I’m not disputing the that LOI has problems and I’m certainly not defending the FAI here.
    They can come out and say they gave them a grant of 100k here or 150k there but the problem is no one is monitoring what is being done.
    Hang on their now – there’s only so much that can be monitored. At the end of the day, clubs have to take responsibility for running themselves at some point. Now, the consensus here seems to be that Monaghan never even hinted that there was a problem to anyone before making the decision to pack it in – that is grossly unprofessional.
    How do they stand over the licence system??
    By the sounds of things, Monaghan were in a position to pay their creditors for the rest of the season, so failing to meet license criteria doesn’t seem to be an issue here. It looks like a case of “sod it, this isn’t worth it”. The cynic in me says they may have thought differently were they not propping up the table.
    The whole structure needs changing and if people want to see improvements from the top, ie the national team they should support the league and the FAI should be trying to promote it as much as they can.
    Sure, but at the same time, clubs have to get their **** in order. There’s only so much the FAI can be blamed for – at some point the finger has to be pointed at the clubs themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

If clubs united and refused to pay the entrance fee as it is, the FAI would be reducing it pretty quickly – what choice would they have?

The FAI would just reduce the Prize Money to compensate.

Dub XV wrote: »
    The FAI would just reduce the Prize Money to compensate.
    They might, but the prize money could be spread more evenly.

As has since been said the FAI woudl follow suit and reduce the money. Even if it was better distributed it is still very poor winnings.
    Hang on their now – there’s only so much that can be monitored. At the end of the day, clubs have to take responsibility for running themselves at some point. Now, the consensus here seems to be that Monaghan never even hinted that there was a problem to anyone before making the decision to pack it in – that is grossly unprofessional.

Clubs do have to take responsibility yes and I am not going to say I know the ins and outs of Mons but too many clubs have ran into trouble for there not to be a better system in place.
    By the sounds of things, Monaghan were in a position to pay their creditors for the rest of the season, so failing to meet license criteria doesn’t seem to be an issue here. It looks like a case of “sod it, this isn’t worth it”. The cynic in me says they may have thought differently were they not propping up the table.

My point on the licence is that they will give you one without having proper procedures in place. For example Bohs clearly got one on money that they didn't have but hoped to get. This is wrong.
    Sure, but at the same time, clubs have to get their **** in order. There’s only so much the FAI can be blamed for – at some point the finger has to be pointed at the clubs themselves.

Agreed but they have to take a lot of the blame as the parent body in the country. The clubs are not run well in a lot of cases and the FAI needs to sort this out.

Similar to England where the FA have let a few cowboys in to buy clubs like Blackburn and the fiaso that is Portsmouth

We'd bring a bigger away crowd than Mons' home crowd so that does make a very big difference.

A bigger crowd once a year? Maybe 4 times a year for the clubs that might have a bigger travelling support, but hardly a "very big difference"?
    Maybe an two thousand through the gate (at a very optimistic level) in a season?
    That's not gonna be enough to get more money out of advertising, by a long shot.
    I make it approx 7 or 8 games against the teams that would bring numbers. Makes a massive difference to Salthill and Athlone.

I make it approx 7 or 8 games against the teams that would bring numbers. Makes a massive difference to Salthill and Athlone.

To advertisers it doesn't.
    These are tiny numbers and if a guy from a club were to go to it's existing sponsors who had sponsored the club for years, looking for more money because a few hundred more away fans were to attend a couple of matches a season, he'd be laughed at.

• Advertisement

To advertisers it doesn't.
    These are tiny numbers and if a guy from a club were to go to it's existing sponsors who had sponsored the club for years, looking for more money because a few hundred more away fans were to attend a couple of matches a season, he'd be laughed at.
    It's all relative. Sponsorship in this country is based on the differences in a few hundred at the best of times.

To be honest, I reckon Monaghan were making a loss last year too. Their attendances were minuscule but their squad was not relative to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's all relative. Sponsorship in this country is based on the differences in a few hundred at the best of times.

But if they are local sponsors, extra away support is not who they want to be advertising to.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    But if they are local sponsors, extra away support is not who they want to be advertising to.
    Good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

thats very harsh on mons saying they gave up because they were at the bottom, they had been propping up the first division most of their life and now they are propping up a higher league they say sod it? come on now. they made the best decision for themselves to keep the club alive in the long run, the can currently honor their debts and return to intermediate level work at building facitilies and a future return not blocked by debts a la cobh and revenue in the way is it? if they finished the year odds are there would be nothing to save by the end of the year, their senior team is no more, monaghan united goes on.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    exactly going from 500-1000 fans is a big difference because it is a specific market that they can target. there is also the advantage of mns which increses the advertising viewings... but lets face it, even club tv isnt allowed anymore so there is absolutely 0 video exposure in D1. comparatively huge difference in marketing price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I’m not disputing the that LOI has problems and I’m certainly not defending the FAI here.

I love the way you know the full story here.

1. We did more than "hint" there was a problem. We went to the FAI and told them we were in trouble a few months ago. Their response was to send a letter looking for the affiliation and referee fees now instead of at the end of the season which was the norm. Sending a bill is a great way to help a club who just told you they hadnt a pot to p*** in.

2. We are currently not in a position to pay our creditors. We have no money at the moment but we are continuing to do some fundraising (lotto, a white collar boxing event etc) and without having the costs of running a LOI team we will be in a position to pay those creditors off eventually. We are trying to be as responsible as we can be.

3. It certainly was not a case of "sod it, this isn’t worth it". We have spent the last few months busting our asses trying to ensure that yesterday wouldn't come. We had asked the players to give us some time to find the money needed to pay their wages and were told on Sunday by their rep that unless the wages were paid this week, they would not play on Saturday in Sligo.

4. The FAI are not entirely to blame but despite their spin and propaganda they had a major hand in our demise and have finally gotten what they wanted - us out of the league. I wish I could give you some of the details of what has gone on with that shambolic association but I really don't want to give them a reason to fine us further.

Am sick of people thinking that this was all our making, we had one of, if not the lowest wages in the League but we just couldn't make it work and everyone is devastated that we have had to walk from the league but it was better to go now than leave local businesses who have supported us throughout our 27 years in the league high and dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Witchie wrote: »

1. We did more than "hint" there was a problem. We went to the FAI and told them we were in trouble a few months ago. Their response was to send a letter looking for the affiliation and referee fees now instead of at the end of the season which was the norm. Sending a bill is a great way to help a club who just told you they hadnt a pot to p*** in.

2. We are currently not in a position to pay our creditors. We have no money at the moment but we are continuing to do some fundraising (lotto, a white collar boxing event etc) and without having the costs of running a LOI team we will be in a position to pay those creditors off eventually. We are trying to be as responsible as we can be.

3. It certainly was not a case of "sod it, this isn’t worth it". We have spent the last few months busting our asses trying to ensure that yesterday wouldn't come. We had asked the players to give us some time to find the money needed to pay their wages and were told on Sunday by their rep that unless the wages were paid this week, they would not play on Saturday in Sligo.

4. The FAI are not entirely to blame but despite their spin and propaganda they had a major hand in our demise and have finally gotten what they wanted - us out of the league. I wish I could give you some of the details of what has gone on with that shambolic association but I really don't want to give them a reason to fine us further.

Am sick of people thinking that this was all our making, we had one of, if not the lowest wages in the League but we just couldn't make it work and everyone is devastated that we have had to walk from the league but it was better to go now than leave local businesses who have supported us throughout our 27 years in the league high and dry.
    Well said, a very similar story to the treatment GUFCST received last season and in our application this season, an absolute shameless bunch of backslappers in the FAI.

The Association regrets that the club has taken this decision at this time and is disappointed that the matter was not discussed with the League prior to the announcement.

Assuming what Witchie is saying is true (and it's telling that I believe a stranger on a forum before I would the FAI), this is a bloody scandal. And for the entire board to feck off to Poland when this is going on is inexcusable. If the FAI don't want the hassle of running a domestic league, they shouldn't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

The evidence was in the public domain a few months back when we launched our funding call and asked for the public to help us (link to our boards appealhere).

We had a short term shortfall of approx 10k and if we had gotten more help from the public, businesses and the FAI at that time, yesterday would not have happened.

The evidence was in the public domain a few months back when we launched our funding call and asked for the public to help us (link to our boards appealhere).

We had a short term shortfall of approx 10k and if we had gotten more help from the public, businesses and the FAI at that time, yesterday would not have happened.

Cheers Witchie.

It's kind of odd that nobody seems to be in the media refuting the FAI's apparently blatant untruth, or indeed countering efforts to paint Mons as a badly run outfit that's taken grant money and gone bang. Is it a case that nobody's listening, or what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

That's the way the FAIlures like it. Threats to pull access etc to media outlets who question them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

when i spent the year in San Diego, one thing i learned about was the LockOut agreement in a lot of american sports. Basically a league driven incentive to make sure attendances were high. If the San Diego Padres didn't sell out the stadium for a home game, you literally couldn't watch the match live on tv in San Diego, you'd be "locked out" from viewing it. It's just an incentive for fans to get off their arses and go to the game and support the team.

I know this isn't practical in Ireland but i wonder would it even be worth considering a mini-version of it. Even something small like RTE cutting certain games from highlights packages if the attendance was below a certain level? Might just encourage more local fans to go to the game. It obviously penalises loyal fans who, for some reason, can't go to the match and can't watch the highlights of their team, but it might be some sort of step.

when i spent the year in San Diego, one thing i learned about was the LockOut agreement in a lot of american sports. Basically a league driven incentive to make sure attendances were high. If the San Diego Padres didn't sell out the stadium for a home game, you literally couldn't watch the match live on tv in San Diego, you'd be "locked out" from viewing it. It's just an incentive for fans to get off their arses and go to the game and support the team.

I know this isn't practical in Ireland but i wonder would it even be worth considering a mini-version of it. Even something small like RTE cutting certain games from highlights packages if the attendance was below a certain level? Might just encourage more local fans to go to the game. It obviously penalises loyal fans who, for some reason, can't go to the match and can't watch the highlights of their team, but it might be some sort of step.

What you're referring to is a Blackout: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(broadcasting)

A lockout is an industrial relations matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockout_(industry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

While tv might bring attendances down it does increase the profile of the league and is massive for sponsorship potential, would say regular live games and highlights are the main reason we were able to get dhl on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

In the not too distant past RTÉ did delay announcing live coverage of European games involving LoI sides in the hope of increasing ticket sales for the match. I belive Cork City v. CSFA Kiev (it was spelt Kiev 10 years ago) and maybe at least one of Drogheda Utd's games in Dublin. Predictably, this delay in a published announcement drew criticism from some LoI fans.

bohsman wrote: »
    While tv might bring attendances down it does increase the profile of the league and is massive for sponsorship potential, would say regular live games and highlights are the main reason we were able to get dhl on board.

In the countries that LoI fans aspire too, Romania or Bulgaria, (we've past out Hungary) there is live football during the season. The standard is dreadful, it is Domestic Football after all, but it's on TV most times two or three games in a weekend. Some pitches after the mid-winter break and during the thaw are quagmires, but the game goes on.

I identify with live Domestic Football on TV andlong may it continue. Providing the broadcaster has TWO camera on half-way line. One for wide shot to take a large number of players and the second for closer intimate footage. And at least one camera behind one of the goals for the replay of chances.

When RTÉ were first broadcasting live games in late 1990's, again some LoI fans had a problem because they believed their product wasn't worthy of 90 minutes of broadcast and shouldn't be broadcast. Some of the complainers had a stronger argument, there should be a magazine-style highlights programme showing highlights from a few weekend games (I don't think they dared believe in six games) and that would put the 90 minute games in a better context.
    But football fans shouldn't be afraid of the 90 minutes neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

geeky wrote: »
    Assuming what Witchie is saying is true (and it's telling that I believe a stranger on a forum before I would the FAI), this is a bloody scandal. And for the entire board to feck off to Poland when this is going on is inexcusable. If the FAI don't want the hassle of running a domestic league, they shouldn't bother.

I've no connection to Monaghan Utd as a club but I know their players and the FAI knew weeks ago that Monaghan were hanging on a knife edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

PFAI met with the players today who are 'very very dissapointed with the club. Heres hoping that they can all find clubs.

paddy978 wrote: »
    PFAI met with the players today who are 'very very dissapointed with the club. Heres hoping that they can all find clubs.
    Didn't you hear the news, its not Monaghan's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Whos fault is it?

When did I say that?
    ...we had one of, if not the lowest wages in the League but we just couldn't make it work...
    So, essentially what you're saying in a tremendously convoluted, roundabout kind of way is, Monaghan were spending more than they could afford to? But, gosh darn-it, they tried real hard not to, so everyone should feel real sorry for them, 'cos they're good guys really.
    If people bailed you out and saved you from your own financial mismanagement, everything would have been hunky dory?

For **** sake.

• Advertisement

Whos fault is it?
    I was being sarcastic.

Whos fault is it?
    Everyone's except Monaghan's, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

When did I say that?
    So, essentially what you're saying in a tremendously convoluted, roundabout kind of way is, Monaghan were spending more than they could afford to? But, gosh darn-it, they tried real hard not to, so everyone should feel real sorry for them, 'cos they're good guys really.
    If people bailed you out and saved you from your own financial mismanagement, everything would have been hunky dory?

For **** sake.
    +1

I'd usually be one of the first to stand up for LOI clubs, but Monaghan have only themselves to blame.

Nice little club, but how can you expect to run a semi-professional team in the Premier Division without the support of the local community and businesses? It's just unsustainable. (See: Sporting Fingal/Dublin City/Kilkenny City etc..)

It's a shame that ye have to leave the league over what it practically peanuts, but the FAI simply cannot bail out every club that overspends, or is made false promises by sponsors.

It's easy for people to point the finger at John Delaney and co. when they're in Poland this week, but I honestly don't see how they are to blame?

blue-army wrote: »
    It's easy for people to point the finger at John Delaney and co. when they're in Poland this week, but I honestly don't see how they are to blame?
    Well, how Monaghan got a license is a valid question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im only just back from holidays so am only finding all this out now.

The question above is the most pertinent. How did they get a license? Surely when the LOI did their due process on all teams they should have seen can the team complete the season in order to avoid the same fiasco as Dublin City a few years ago, and expunging results etc. If they did this properly they should have seen that there was no way they could have, as they have not even completed half the season.

So we have 11 teams now. Presumably no automatic relegation this season. Possibly no playoffs either if the word about Dundalk is true.

What a jokeshop of a league.

One question to add - CCFC losty the 3 points and 6 goals we scored against them as all results were expunged - fair enough (kinda), but yellow cards received in that game still stand? All or nothing please lads.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Monaghan walked away from the league rather than build up a load of debts that they couldn't pay back.

This is a lot better than what Cork and Derry have done and possibly Dundalk may do.

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    Monaghan walked away from the league rather than build up a load of debts that they couldn't pay back.
    Ah sure aren't they great?

How in the name of jaysus did they not see this coming before the season started?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

doncarlos wrote: »

This is a lot better than what Cork and Derry have done and possibly Dundalk may do.

Oooh, yet fúcking up the league structure makes them great. Well done.

They should not have entered the premier if they could not even try to sustain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

gimmick wrote: »
    One question to add - CCFC losty the 3 points and 6 goals we scored against them as all results were expunged - fair enough (kinda), but yellow cards received in that game still stand? All or nothing please lads.

:mad:

Agree here, this is a load of crap. Points earned - don't count, goals scored - don't count, yellow cards, red cards, suspensions and any resulting fines - oh you better believe the FAI will count them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

How in the name of jaysus did they not see this coming before the season started?
    gimmick wrote: »
    Oooh, yet fúcking up the league structure makes them great. Well done.

They should not have entered the premier if they could not even try to sustain it.

Where did I say they were great??? I said it's preferable to pull out now if they can's sustain rather than building up hundreds of thousands of euro of debts and then walking away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Think there was a sponsorship deal in place that never materialised or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement