Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anybody actually using Eircom's fibre broadband?

• 19-07-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I got a call from Eircom saying I should upgrade to fibre. It seems that the package I'm on now (8mb regular) is the same price as the basic fibre line (25mb) and I happen to live in an area that can get it. The girl offered to switch me straight away but I wanted to Google it first.

I don't even download a lot so the speed doesn't matter that much to me. I'm more concerned about stability. My line is very stable now and it wouldn't be worth losing that for faster speeds. Having said that, if it is stable, I might as well get the faster speed for no extra cost.

I've had a look around and while people are talking about it, I can't seem to find anyone who's actually switched. I realise it's only available in small areas at the moment but surely someone out there is on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

ROXcursed wrote: »
    I got a call from Eircom saying I should upgrade to fibre. It seems that the package I'm on now (8mb regular) is the same price as the basic fibre line (25mb) and I happen to live in an area that can get it. The girl offered to switch me straight away but I wanted to Google it first.

I don't even download a lot so the speed doesn't matter that much to me. I'm more concerned about stability. My line is very stable now and it wouldn't be worth losing that for faster speeds. Having said that, if it is stable, I might as well get the faster speed for no extra cost.

I've had a look around and while people are talking about it, I can't seem to find anyone who's actually switched. I realise it's only available in small areas at the moment but surely someone out there is on it?

The prices on their site are the same for both products. You would be mad not to go for the 25 m/bit product. It has 8m/bit upload speed, which is vastly superior to what you already have. Streaming on youtube, sending large emails, uploading & downloading anything will be faster & for the same price. The only difficulty people are reporting is if you have alarm monitoring.

Where in the country are you (which exchange)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ROXcursed

feeney92 wrote: »
    Depends what, you might get booted off for downloading torrents, a lot of sites are blocked by eircom too.

I don't torrent that much these days. Certainly never had any warnings. Do you think they'd monitor more with the fibre?
    Praetorian wrote: »
    Where in the country are you (which exchange)?

I'm in Dublin 6. It's one of the few areas where it's available right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It has a miserable cap, if the package costs under €50 they will bill you by the Gb if you bust the cap where they wont with 8mbit NGB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 snr3

I need to say 1 more thing that u should take into consideration. Once u have fibre from eircom and u dont use a landline for a phone purposes u DONT have to pay line rental anymore so comparing 8 ngb do 25 fibre u can easly save 20 euros...
    Plus i have never ever seen more stable conection than i have now with 90% webpages opening up like they were on my comp.
    Simply if u have a chance to switch and no options like UPC and stuff, just DO IT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ROXcursed wrote: »
    I got a call from Eircom saying I should upgrade to fibre. It seems that the package I'm on now (8mb regular) is the same price as the basic fibre line (25mb)

A speed like that doesn't sound like fibre to your home most likely you will get VDSL (fibre to the cabinet). I suppose it's a nice catchy marketing phrase...and still a lot better than ADSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

a lot of sites are blocked by eircom too.

This statement is untrue.

bealtine wrote: »
    A speed like that doesn't sound like fibre to your home most likely you will get VDSL (fibre to the cabinet). I suppose it's a nice catchy marketing phrase...and still a lot better than ADSL
    Oh and thats cos u said so? He did mention that 25 is a cheapest bundle and not that is the only one he can get...
    And eircom is not blocking any sites bar stuff like piratebay, and thank god they are...

snr3 wrote: »
    Oh and thats cos u said so? He did mention that 25 is a cheapest bundle and not that is the only one he can get...
    And eircom is not blocking any sites bar stuff like piratebay, and thank god they are...

No because eircom aren't rolling out fibre except to specific areas as documented on their website. Sandyford and Dundrum, Wexford. That's it, all the rest is FTTC so by a logical process of elimination, unless you are in one of those areas, you only get FTTC.

So since u mention their website u should also know they say there FTTC is 50 not 25... FTTH are 25/50/150 by packages.

• Advertisement

Oh right becouse piratebay is the only torrent site in the world...
    1st of all they were legaly forced to block this one so theres not realy their fault they doing it...

Oh right u name at least 1 more torrent web/tracker that is blocked by eircom only if ur so smart. Im not using torrents to much but i havent come across any bar this one that is blocked by eircom...

U seem to have problem to anybody that is quoting u and i tell u what the problem is ur full of sh*t in what ur sayn... U prob dont even use eircom, or u used it like in 19th century (just irony). And thats probably what bothers u the most that ur stuck with your "great" UPC with its 100-120 for 3 hours a day (and than half of it if ur lucky and have no leechers around u for rest of the day)and no other oportunity for decent broadband so u just hate everything else, just as a rule. If u have something to say about eircom fibre than u better say something u know from experience and not some miths that u have heard about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Theres other kickass torrent sites out there just a google away. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

its definitely not untrue, If you'll read my post correctly and see I was talking about Torrenting and Downloading, add a small bit of common knowledge into the equation and you might understand what sites im talking about

I re-read your post. It is still incorrect. "A lot of sites" are not blocked by eircom. 1 site is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

So..........should he go for the package eircom offered him.

cursai wrote: »
    So..........should he go for the package eircom offered him.

Personally I think it's far too expensive for such a low speed, you can pick up UPC for a good bit less which is faster and has a much higher download allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

So then no one is actually using eircom fibre, this is quite disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

I was.
    I was getting it on the Sandyford trial through Magnet (resold). I didn't like the way Magnet insisted on forcing you to use their crappy little Thompson modem, which only had a 100mbps port on it (for a 150mbps service), and they wouldn't give you access to the modem.

I cancelled after 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

daffy_duc wrote: »
    I was.
    I was getting it on the Sandyford trial through Magnet (resold). I didn't like the way Magnet insisted on forcing you to use their crappy little Thompson modem, which only had a 100mbps port on it (for a 150mbps service), and they wouldn't give you access to the modem.

I cancelled after 3 months.
    Wat kind of speeds wer u gettin on the service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭domeld

@daffy_duc
    You can use Your own router. Few things need to be done but this is possible.

GIMickey wrote: »
    Wat kind of speeds wer u gettin on the service
    100mbit/s through their crappy router. 150mbit/s when I bypassed it and did some unsupported stuff
    domeld wrote: »
    @daffy_duc
    You can use Your own router. Few things need to be done but this is possible.

Its not as simple as plugging in a router and waiting for an IP. There are a few bits and pieces you need. (They split the IPTV and Broadband traffic into seperate VLANs), and you have to "pretend" to be their router to even get a DHCP response.

I can understand why they did it architecturally speaking, but why they wouldn't give the details out to users I have no idea.

PS. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a stern talking to about this post, so I'm not giving the specifics away. Don't ask for them.

Yea but ur talking about magnet they do stuff like that because of their tv that they supply with broadband. Eircom doesnt have a tv in the package and u get router with all login details for it.
    I use eircom fibre 150. Im in wexford town. The speeds on cable (wifi not that great anymore form obvious reasons) are about 140-156/27-28 all day long. 500gb allowance on it is more than enough and because this is only pilot programme they do not react if u go over that, i have checked that at least 3 times so far. Ping to dublin servers (from wexford) are around 4-5. To most english servers 12-15 and to countries like germany or holland its 25-30.
    The connection is extremly stable no drops i would say in the time i have it (nearly 1 year) i had maybe 3-4 downs but that was twice at night (prob some maintanance) and didnt last longer than 1-2 hours) and another 1-2 times during the day but more like for couple minutes.
    Another point to mention is that meybe the packages seems a bit to high in price for some of u and u all compare it to upc but if ur using phone with eircom anyway and u sign up for fibre u dont need to pay line rental anymore, so for highest package of fibre plus basic phone u pay like 62 euro (+2 to the fibre package only)
    This is all FTTH im talking about i didnt have any experience with their FTTC so cant say.
    The only disadvantages i found using it is their router have a only 1 gigabit port for users so if u would like to supply over 100 m/bits to number of devices u would need some splitter or something, and their wifi has a quite low signal. But since ur getting all login details u can easly get a decent router for yourself. I got a nice one in tesco for 41 (dual N) and it works just fine.

Long story short if u have an oportunity to get FTTH from eircom tjust take it and im nearly sure u wont regret.

PS. The only torrenting web they block that i find out is piratebay and this is due they are legaly forced to do as is most operators across IE and UK... very easy to use a proxy for browsing the page with no problems than switch off the proxy as the trackers are not blocked by eircom by any was so u can ealy get full speed on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I see eircom have pulled all fibre pricing details from their site (home & business).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

cgarvey wrote: »
    I see eircom have pulled all fibre pricing details from their site (home & business).

didnt realise they were up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭domeld

daffy_duc wrote: »
    100mbit/s through their crappy router. 150mbit/s when I bypassed it and did some unsupported stuff

Its not as simple as plugging in a router and waiting for an IP. There are a few bits and pieces you need. (They split the IPTV and Broadband traffic into seperate VLANs), and you have to "pretend" to be their router to even get a DHCP response.

I can understand why they did it architecturally speaking, but why they wouldn't give the details out to users I have no idea.

PS. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a stern talking to about this post, so I'm not giving the specifics away. Don't ask for them.

It is easier than You think.

domeld wrote: »
    It is easier than You think.

Feel free to share with the rest of the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pepperoscar

Well I had it installed last Friday and My Imac will not operate on it.
    Pc is fine.
    However it is nowhere near 50 mbs at my computer.
    They are using the same old cable that i had for 8mbs
    Has anybody else had probs ?
    Also i cannot get a reply from Fibre support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 shakeyhands

Well I had it installed last Friday and My Imac will not operate on it.
    Pc is fine.
    However it is nowhere near 50 mbs at my computer.
    They are using the same old cable that i had for 8mbs
    Has anybody else had probs ?
    Also i cannot get a reply from Fibre support.

Had the same issues with my imac running ios 10.6, pc worked fine so was able to find the solution;
    Open system prefences
    Under internet & wireless open network
    Make sure Ethernet is highlighted
    Click advanced
    Click TCP/IP
    Turn Configure IPv6 to off
    Click ok

This is what worked for me so hopefully it will work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

#

Have I named any sites? No. I simply said there are a lot of sites(Torrenting Sites) which are blocked. stop putting words in my mouth and stop talking utter S*ite
    depends on what sites you like visiting i suppose.

Advertisement