Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Unreal Slow - Sept 2012

Options
  • 09-09-2012 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Anyone else having problems with their eircom connection ? Ive just done a speedtest and this is the result I got (Image attached below), bare in mind I pay €50 per month for this utter crap. It's by far one of the worst services I've ever had.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭dixiedan

dunlop03 wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems with their eircom connection ? Ive just done a speediest and this is the result I got (Image attached below), bare in mind I pay €50 per month for this utter crap. It by far one of the worst services I've ever had.

Pretty bad, right enough. More like what could be got from a poor mobile edge or 3g connect ion. In fact I have got these kind of speeds on a bad day with my USB modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

Try restarting the router. The cheap pieces of crap eircom are issuing to customers just arent any good and only hold top speeds for a few hours. If you cant afford to buy a new router (and decent ones can be quite expensive hence eircom seemingly cuting costs by opting for the cheapest ones they could source) then unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any solution to this other than keep restarting the router every day until your contract runs out and you can move to another provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dunlop03

What routers do you recommend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Anyone else having problems with their eircom connection ? Ive just done a speedtest and this is the result I got (Image attached below), bare in mind I pay €50 per month for this utter crap. It's by far one of the worst services I've ever had.

Hi dunlop03,

That result does seem to be very slow. By the price you quoted I would imagine you have the Home Starter package (up to 1mb). As long as your address is not in an 'extended reach' area there should be room for improvement there. Could you PM the landline number and I'll see what can be done to improve that connection for you.

Thanks

James

Hi James,

The package I'm on is 'Next Gen - Regular' which gives me up-to 8mb download and unlimited upload. The connection seems to be fine just now, although it fluctuates regularly. I appreciate you're reply. I'll pm you the landline number right now.

Thank You
    Dunlop03

• Advertisement

Hi James,

The package I'm on is 'Next Gen - Regular' which gives me up-to 8mb download and unlimited upload. The connection seems to be fine just now, although it fluctuates regularly. I appreciate you're reply. I'll pm you the landline number right now.

Thank You
    Dunlop03

Hi,

Thanks for the PM, have been able to check in some more detail for you. The testing shows the actual phoneline signal to be fine, and the DSL stats look decent with a noise margin of 11dB and attenuation of 35.6dB which are well with the acceptable limits. This points to either a possible issue with the internal wiring or some kind of interference if you're using Wifi. There are other possibilities but I think we should rule these 2 things out first.

My tests are showing that almost the full 8mb are arriving at the main socket. Do you have the modem on the main socket in the house? If so, try unplugging everything but the modem from the line (with no filter/splitter) and connected directly to the modem via ethernet. Close down all Wifi devices and if possible, turn off the Wifi completely to rule out this as the problem and see if the speed improves. There is a detailed checklist on the eircom forum here.

Once you've tried these few things, if there's no improvement we can narrow it down from here. I don't want to list all the possible causes here as there are so many but the checklist eliminates the most common problems. Let us know if it drops again. If it happens outside our hours, tech support open from 8am - 10pm, 7 days on 1890 260 260.

Regards

James

Hi,

Ive done all that. But just note, that I get 6.5mb at points throughout the day then it just drops to below 1mb randomly. Ive just noticed a drop in speed just now, heres the results from a speedtest I did just now. The ping seems to be really high when the speed is low, not sure if that might be an indication to what the problem is.

EDIT 1: Just seconds after I posted this post, I ran another speedtest and it is now back up to 6.5mb. Its so annoying.

EDIT 2: Ran another test after my last edit and now its reading 0.78mb with almost 900 ping. Its basically up and down over the last few minutes with no wireless devices connected at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

i have eircom as well, its the bane of my life, i am supposed to get 3mb, it is now over 1mb, it has broken down more three times since april, the last time was thursday last, i got it back this afternoon, it shows 2.61mb download but it takes 35 seconds to load the test page.

Hi,

Ive done all that. But just note, that I get 6.5mb at points throughout the day then it just drops to below 1mb randomly. Ive just noticed a drop in speed just now, heres the results from a speedtest I did just now. The ping seems to be really high when the speed is low, not sure if that might be an indication to what the problem is.

EDIT 1: Just seconds after I posted this post, I ran another speedtest and it is now back up to 6.5mb. Its so annoying.

EDIT 2: Ran another test after my last edit and now its reading 0.78mb with almost 900 ping. Its basically up and down over the last few minutes with no wireless devices connected at all.

Hi dunlop03,

Can you confirm whether you use Wifi or are connected via ethernet cable? If it's only sudden drops which are seemingly random then it may be a problem with interference from some electrical/radio device nearby.

Thanks

James

Im connected via ethernet, using a mac. I use an iPad and an iPhone wirelessly. Ive used these devices together for as long as I can remember, this sudden drop only seems to be happening recently. My brother lives in the same town (Different estate) and has also suffered drops in connection yesterday.

EDIT: Connection is horrendous again tonight.

• Advertisement

This is just getting ridicules now. Ive contacted eircom via a support ticket on the eircom website and all I seem to get is one of two answers: 1. We don't support broadband issues via support tickets or 2. Connect your phone to the main phone line...............Im sick to the teeth of hearing that. Ive tried the main phone line 4 hundred million times. It just seems to be eircom's solution to politely tell you to "F - off we don't care".

Heres a few screenshots of my connection speed over the last few days, the most recent being today Sept 26th 2012, download speed of 1.52mb, upload speed of 0.03mb and a ping of 2073ms:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

This is just getting ridicules now. Ive contacted eircom via a support ticket on the eircom website and all I seem to get is one of two answers: 1. We don't support broadband issues via support tickets or 2. Connect your phone to the main phone line...............Im sick to the teeth of hearing that. Ive tried the main phone line 4 hundred million times. It just seems to be eircom's solution to politely tell you to "F - off we don't care".

Heres a few screenshots of my connection speed over the last few days, the most recent being today Sept 26th 2012, download speed of 1.52mb, upload speed of 0.03mb and a ping of 2073ms:

Hi dunlop03

I can see you were dealing with James previously and he asked you to carry out a few checks from your end to rule out some possibilities. As this didn't solve your issue I have contacted broadband technical support and they have informed me that you contacted them on 12/09/12. They have done some tests from there end and they have said everything is testing perfectly fine.

Have you tried using another devices (PC or laptop) as broadband technical support suggest that this may be the issue?

Regards
    Linda

(logged in as Ant)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dubhain

I had very similar issue on the 8mb next generation package for the last 8-9 months. Most days I was only getting .8mb download speed. Was on a few times to support and was always given new tasks to perform with the modem, but nothing worked. Last week I rang again and they guy i spoke to said that the most likely cause was that the modem needed updated firmware. He gave me the file, i logged into the modem and installed it and now it seems to have solved the issue...or at least i am able to actually access websites now :) So maybe try doing that and see if it helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lovelylovely

I have been having the same problems with Eircom 8mb. I did a speed test a few mins ago, it was 1.06mb. I have a PS3 and laptop, both only a few months old, and if the PS3 is online while using internet on my laptop, my laptop gets disconnected. I use both wirelessly. This has actually gotten worse since Eircom sent me a new router a couple of months ago because the Netopia one was faulty. They are the only two devices in my house that connect to the internet. My brother lives a short distance away and has UPC, and they would regularly have 15 or 16 devices connected to the internet at once and have never experienced a drop in speed.
    A couple of weeks back I was planning to change to UPC because I was getting fed up with this crap, like if I buy anything off the PlayStation store it can take two weeks to download, can't play PS games online etc. Then I discovered that Eircom had called my house and spoken to my mother, to see if she was satisfied with the phone/broadband service. She told them I was always having problems with the broadband, that it was very slow, and their answer to that was to send us a letter a few days later informing us that we'd entered into a 12 month contract with them.
    I am furious, stuck with having to pay for this RIDICULOUS excuse for an internet connection. Honestly its like they just thought of a way to stop their customers moving to UPC, it is a disgrace. Why can't they address the problems with their broadband speed, and catch up with the rest of the world? As soon as our contract ends I'm gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Its all do with your local exchange, it needs to be updated but eircom wont update it unless they have enough complaints. I have Eircom and for two years we were complaning about download speeds changing and really high pings. They sent out numerous engineer's who said "gaming and downloading drains the router power. You shouldnt be doing them! ":rolleyes: . Anyway after two years of complaning and engineers out talking bull**** they finally told us that the exchange is been updated in our local area and it solved the problem. Always have stable ping times and download speed always to the max

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mpurcell2004

I am in Limerick and the speed of Eircom has plumetted in our estate lately, Speaking to friends in Scarrif and Thurles the issue seems to be widespread.

Is there a problem on the Eircom network causing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mpurcell2004

Who is the account holder? Eircom spoke to my teenage daughter on the phone a few months ago and took that as sufficient to extend our contract. I look fwd to them trying to enforce it when I move to UPC next week as I (the account holder) still have my boarding pass showing I was not even in the country at the time!

If your mother is the account holder and did not understand what the call meant, complain to comreg about sharp practices.

I have been having the same problems with Eircom 8mb. I did a speed test a few mins ago, it was 1.06mb. I have a PS3 and laptop, both only a few months old, and if the PS3 is online while using internet on my laptop, my laptop gets disconnected. I use both wirelessly. This has actually gotten worse since Eircom sent me a new router a couple of months ago because the Netopia one was faulty. They are the only two devices in my house that connect to the internet. My brother lives a short distance away and has UPC, and they would regularly have 15 or 16 devices connected to the internet at once and have never experienced a drop in speed.
    A couple of weeks back I was planning to change to UPC because I was getting fed up with this crap, like if I buy anything off the PlayStation store it can take two weeks to download, can't play PS games online etc. Then I discovered that Eircom had called my house and spoken to my mother, to see if she was satisfied with the phone/broadband service. She told them I was always having problems with the broadband, that it was very slow, and their answer to that was to send us a letter a few days later informing us that we'd entered into a 12 month contract with them.
    I am furious, stuck with having to pay for this RIDICULOUS excuse for an internet connection. Honestly its like they just thought of a way to stop their customers moving to UPC, it is a disgrace. Why can't they address the problems with their broadband speed, and catch up with the rest of the world? As soon as our contract ends I'm gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lovelylovely

My mother is the account holder, and is well into her sixties and is not an internet user. It was really unfair of Eircom to renew our contract in that manner. I will be looking into getting out of the contract as soon as I can, I've just started an online course and it took me 2 1/2 hours this morning to watch 20 mins of a lecture due to buffering. Honestly I think the dial up I had years ago was better than this crap broadband.
    Funnily enough Eircom are in my estate this afternoon, I wonder is there a red flag on the UPC website I was on last night looking to switch ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

I am chiming in here, but it's probably the wrong place to post...sorry. It's just the most recent Eircom thread and I see a rep answers queries...

I am going off my nut with Eircom Webmail. Have had it for years...its where most of my emails go to....but it only opens about 1 time out of 3. This has been going on for ages. I am so bet down by it that I couldn't even be bothered to ring them up and go through the whole talk to a machine business for the best part of an hour only to find out that nothing changes. Because, nothing ever changes, does it....or is that just my existential angst talking?

What the hell is wrong with it - i only want to read my fricking mail. i never have this trouble with gmail. It's like an Olde World system.

Ok. Rant Off (As you can probably tell, this frustrates the bejaysus out of me)
    Otherwise, nice day, huh? Great weather. :D

Advertisement