Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Speed Problems

Options
  • 23-09-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

So I switched from one broadband provider to another a while back, and have had problems sense.
    Some have been fixed but others keep coming back. One being this slow wifi.

When I go into the router menu, it tells me the router is receiving speeds of up to 12mb download, but using an online speedtest on my phone and laptop, I'm only getting 2mb.(I know online speedtests are not the most reliable too) I am paying for 25mb, and was told I would receive around 15mb. Which I thought was fair because it was still cheaper than my old provider and I was meant to be getting better speeds still.

So I was wondering if anyone new how I could fix this problem?
    My router is an ericom moden P-660HW-T1 v3 if this is of any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

wrong forum btw way.

First things first connect your laptop with an ethernet cable and do a speed test.If speeds are fine then it could be a wireless issue.Log into modem and change the wireless channel and see if that makes a difference.

also some of those newer zxgel modem need a firmware update .give tech support a ring and they'll check if its the right version

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ksheehan77

Ok thanks. Can I change what forum it goes into?

I'm still getting 5mb with the ethernet cable and a channel change from 11 to 12. I guess I'll have to ring them and see if it needs updating or ask if they can doing anything for me.

Thanks for your help

if your speed is showing at 12 meg on the modem page you should be seeing speeds of about 10 meg d/l.

if your only getting 5 with cable connected you be better of giving tech support a call as they can see how healthy your line looks.

also make sure nody is downloading torrents in the house

Ya I turned off all other internet devices in my house and still same result. And there was no downloading or updating happening in the background either

not sure if i mentioned it but if its the new 'n' type modem they released a firmware update as the first batch apparently had slow speeds.Came across 2 or 3 of them a couple of months ago and once the firmware was installed the speeds went back to normal

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Can I update it myself, or will ring my provider and ask them if I have the new model?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 VINCWM

I say your best bet is to give your provider a call. If you're getting those speeds when hardwired and with no other devices running there seems to be a fault on their end. Let us know how you get on!

Ok thats great thanks. I'll ring them on Monday and I'll let ye know. Thanks for your help

Advertisement