Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Art O'Neill Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

So, I did a recce of the Ballysmuttan Bridge (RIP Garda Ciaran Jones, another great Irish hero on the Art O'Neill route) to Ballynultagh woods turn off at O 058 118. Here you are faced with two tracks branching off. I took the larger of the tracks in a southerly direction, then it splits off. Again chose the more obvious southerly track - having a look at Sheet 56 and figuring where I wanted to be on the terrain if I was aiming to pop out at the col between Black Hill and Mullacleevaun NW spur.

Unfortunately, I ended up in a dead end. So I am going to head back for another recce soon, but I just wanted to say that anyone who hasn't the opportunity of recce-ing this section should have a good look at the East West map for this section. The OS Sheet 56 is useless really as the tracks are not accurately represented (shocker!). Even with a good read of the terrain on Sheet 56 the most obvious route still ended up in a dead end for me and I certainly don't want to find myself having to pick through fir trees in January to get out onto open countryside. Anyone else had a look at this section yet?

at ballynultagh entrance you take the track with barrier and head straight untill track ends,stay heading south and you should come to the col with black hill on your right,billy byrnes gap should be straight a head

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Anyone looking for an entry let me know. Neither my girlfriend or I will be using ours so there are two available for transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

jeffontour wrote: »
    Anyone looking for an entry let me know. Neither my girlfriend or I will be using ours so there are two available for transfer.
    U shud of bought the ring:p

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Places gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 neiliusmaximus

I am looking for a place for AON 2013 and have everything crossed that there is a place someone would be interested in selling me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Lbhs2310play

Just wondering if anyone has a place for Art O'Neill that they are not going to be using and would be interesting in selling it to me. My partner has a place and I am hoping to be able to complete it with him. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lbhs2310play

ljeh1 wrote: »
    I have a registration as a walker for AON 2013 but can't take part due to injury. I'm only looking for the entry fee back. I understand there is no waiting list so PM me if interested.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Just wondering do you still have the place, I will buy it off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ljeh1

Place sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

1 Ultra place for sale.

Update: Place gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PvtPile

Just wondering did you get any response to doing the course unofficially. I am registered but wanted to do it with a friend who also didnt manage to get registered. Will there be much problem with him doing it unofficially??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 roadrage73

So, I did a recce of the Ballysmuttan Bridge (RIP Garda Ciaran Jones, another great Irish hero on the Art O'Neill route) to Ballynultagh woods turn off at O 058 118. Here you are faced with two tracks branching off. I took the larger of the tracks in a southerly direction, then it splits off. Again chose the more obvious southerly track - having a look at Sheet 56 and figuring where I wanted to be on the terrain if I was aiming to pop out at the col between Black Hill and Mullacleevaun NW spur.

Unfortunately, I ended up in a dead end. So I am going to head back for another recce soon, but I just wanted to say that anyone who hasn't the opportunity of recce-ing this section should have a good look at the East West map for this section. The OS Sheet 56 is useless really as the tracks are not accurately represented (shocker!). Even with a good read of the terrain on Sheet 56 the most obvious route still ended up in a dead end for me and I certainly don't want to find myself having to pick through fir trees in January to get out onto open countryside. Anyone else had a look at this section yet?

Just before the dead end the terrain changes from stone track to grass/peat, it is here you have the option to turn right and follow an open track through the end of the forest and up to the col

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

PvtPile wrote: »
    Just wondering did you get any response to doing the course unofficially. I am registered but wanted to do it with a friend who also didnt manage to get registered. Will there be much problem with him doing it unofficially??

Organisers have asked if people want to do it, they do it on a different night.

There’s nothing to stop him but given NPWS have limited the numbers, it stands to reason, that unofficial runners may jeopardise the future of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rick Dagless

Any spare places going for the challenge? Looking to head up if I can get a spot, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AON2013

theduke1 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Aislingtherese viewpost.gif

at ballynultagh entrance you take the track with barrier and head straight untill track ends,stay heading south and you should come to the col with black hill on your right,billy byrnes gap should be straight a head

At the Ballynultagh Forest entrance(O058118) there is a small gravel covered area before the forest barrier. There are two tracks - the one with the forest barrier is the one the AON route follows(roughly 220 degress for 1.5km before turning more south). As mentioned it peters out into a indistinct trail which will lead you onto the col southeast of Black Hill. If you take the lower trail you will be heading incorrectly towards James Boys Booleys and Mullaghcleevaun which you don't want to do. Basically if you pass a house you're wrong and if you stay on the upper track past the forest barrier you are right. Only EastWest maps show the tracks accurately here so check that if you don't have a chance to do a recce. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aislingtherese

Thanks - I got to recce that section again using the right hand track. It is very straightforward and a great route alternative - nice one AON2013.

Got back to a flat battery though! Aack! The misery... and on St Stephen's day too!

I hope everyone is enjoying the training. See you all on the 7th in Great Outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

"Expect a series of gradual changes to colder and more unsettled weather towards the energy peak around 10th-12th associated with new moon. This could become wintry." -Meteo Times

http://www.meteotimes.net/2012/08/peter-odonnells-long-range-weather.html

I cycled the first section yesterday. It's very tough. A lot harder than I remembered. I was expecting a handy cycle. Turned into a slogfest. Thought I'd never get home. Nice
    scenery tho.

From the gates of the Bohernabreena Reservoir to the crest of the road before the drop to the Kilbride Army Camp really stretches the walkers out. I remember one guy asking me a few years back if there were "any more hills like this?". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Gravale wrote: »
    From the gates of the Bohernabreena Reservoir to the crest of the road before the drop to the Kilbride Army Camp really stretches the walkers out. I remember one guy asking me a few years back if there were "any more hills like this?". :)

Often a question nobody wants answered!... I asked similar half way up conn ultras last hill....,, are we there yet :))

I think you'll find, Hugh, that people will be walking and running on ALL the Friday nights in January. There will be a half-moon on the 4th, no moon on the 11th, less than a half on the 18th and a full moon on the 25th (already a popular choice). Free from duties on the 11th I'll be turning up on one (or more) of these nights - but only as the humour dictates. ;)

• Advertisement

Walked from CP1 to finish today. Wet and sloppy in plenty of places. Legs sore now as I sit here. Its gonna be twice as hard with 30km done beforehand and no sleep.

No wonder Art died where he did. The walk up to the cross is seriously hard. Think I took the wrong route, I stayed to the right and went up parallel to Glenreemore Brook (the one that heads for Three Lakes), should I have gone to the left? It looked easier on the map but I though the plaque would be on the left. Didn't see it.

Also, I took St. Kevin's way after Ballinagee Br. Nice enough track. Many people going that way? Is there a better way? Any info welcome.

Also when coming down from Billy Byrne's gap I stayed to the left of the river and made my way into the forestry, after about 5 mins bursting way through trees I made it onto a nice track. Would like to avoid the trees if possible. Is there a track leading to the open ground further up that hill does anyone know?

Anyway, went pretty well other than that, I recorded the track on viewranger for anyone who wants to use it. By the way if anyone doesn't know (I've just discovered it) viewranger is a great little app thats free to download and if you pick the right two tiles you can get all the AON mountain section in OSI mapping without paying a cent. Great job. Would love to hear what you think of the route I took. You can find it as being called Art O Neill 2013

Here are three maps you might find enlightening.

One shows a good route from Billy Byrne's Gap to the forest entrance leading down to Ballinagee Bridge (no forcing one's way through trees!) I've looked at the ViewRanger place where you entered the forest on the way down from Billy Byrnes Gap. Instead of forcing your way through trees, just aim for the obvious forest entrance east of that place. It's a lovely forest track all the way down.

The other two map's show the positions of Art's Plaque and Cross. Review the maps for accessing the plaque and cross provided by the organisers.

Art's Cross & Plaque.jpg

Glenreemore - Art's Cross(1).jpg

Billy Byrne - Ballinagee.jpg

PvtPile wrote: »

Also when coming down from Billy Byrne's gap I stayed to the left of the river and made my way into the forestry, after about 5 mins bursting way through trees I made it onto a nice track. Would like to avoid the trees if possible. Is there a track leading to the open ground further up that hill does anyone know?

Anyway, went pretty well other than that, I recorded the track on viewranger for anyone who wants to use it. By the way if anyone doesn't know (I've just discovered it) viewranger is a great little app thats free to download and if you pick the right two tiles you can get all the AON mountain section in OSI mapping without paying a cent. Great job. Would love to hear what you think of the route I took. You can find it as being called Art O Neill 2013

When you reach the forest, with the river on your right, walk east along the side of the forest and you'll find an obvious entrance. Clear fire trail.

Jesus, i must have walked right past the plaque, have to open my eyes the next time. I looked on google maps after and saw where the track through the forest is, will make it easier next time. Thanks all. Any one got any thoughts on getting to glenreemore brook from ballinagee?

This is my way of getting to Glenreemore from Ballinagee. It's not the official route though. ;)

To Glenreemore.jpg

Gravale wrote: »
    This is my way of getting to Glenreemore from Ballinagee. It's not the official route though. ;)

Attachment not found.

Is it not? Or are you supposed to keep to the fireroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

This might sound like a stupid question but do you have to go to the cross ?? If so why is there not a cp there ???

This might sound like a stupid question but do you have to go to the cross ?? If so why is there not a cp there ???

Organisers want to limit environmental impact so are asking people to go via cross. (Open to correction on this)

You don't have to go anywhere if there's no checkpoint there. However, tradition would suggest that it's appropriate to go there. Because runners are more interested in times some don't go there. Walkers keep with the traditions. ;)

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Is it not? Or are you supposed to keep to the fireroad?

From Ballinagee they want you to walk East and turn right down the forest entrance to the new bridge over the Kings River. They then want you to follow the river and the St. Kevin's Way to the Glenreemore Brook. There's no significant difference really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement