Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

And not one ba$tard lends a hand!.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Never said you weren`t paddy. But plenty of bikers would have taken that bend a lot faster than the one in this video.

I wouldnt class that as a particularly tight corner either.

Speed,corner/exit road with crash barriers and inability to manouver/ride either side of the oil/diesel slick.

Clear lack of anticipation and experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddy147 wrote: »
    Speed,corner/exit road with crash barriers and inability to manouver/ride either side of the oil/diesel slick.

Clear lack of anticipation and experience.

If there were oil slicks on every exit tomorrow, there would be many crashes from the experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

People not helping? - Nothing unusual there.

In studies it has been shown that people can distance themselves from seeing someone in distress, as if they are an audience watching a play. This is even more common (and possibly more disturbing) when a person walking down a street trips and falls, other pedestrians will actually step over them and continue.

Why? - simple, to the observer, there is no "contract" for want of a better word to engage and help a stranger. How do you make a "contract"? You ask for help.

If you fall and need help, you need to verbally ask for help, then the contract for duty of care is made.

As for the very few that do stop to help, typically these are people who sympathise with the faller, in this case another biker.
    others who help are people who deal with others people on a tactile basis and do not have a fear or reticence in physically touching another person.

So there you have it - if you need help, you have to ask for it.

If there were oil slicks on every exit tomorrow, there would be many crashes from the experienced.

Experience means that slow down for such an exit/slip road (anticipation)and you ride around/either side of such a long visual spillage/slick.

You put yourself and your bike in a postion of being able to react to the road/corner ahead.

You dont ride through the slick/spillage.

You are not a biker then Robbie???

stoneill wrote: »

In studies it has been shown that people can distance themselves from seeing someone in distress, as if they are an audience watching a play. This is even more common (and possibly more disturbing) when a person walking down a street trips and falls, other pedestrians will actually step over them and continue.

Why? - simple, to the observer, there is no "contract" for want of a better word to engage and help a stranger. How do you make a "contract"? You ask for help.

If you fall and need help, you need to verbally ask for help, then the contract for duty of care is made.

As for the very few that do stop to help, typically these are people who sympathise with the faller, in this case another biker.
    others who help are people who deal with others people on a tactile basis and do not have a fear or reticence in physically touching another person.

It looks to me as if the biker is telling them he diesnt need any help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I don't know how he resisted the urge not to pull people out of their cars. Bloody hate rubberneckers, especially ones who drive by really slowly, can see what is going on but won't offer help!

I don't know how he resisted the urge not to pull people out of their cars. Bloody hate rubberneckers, especially ones who drive by really slowly, can see what is going on but won't offer help!

You expect them to drive by at normal speed in that situation?

What would you say they are saying to him in that video?

You are not a biker then Robbie???

Only experts can comment now, is that it paddy? Lets not have a laugh about that now paddy,

So you are telling me no experienced biker would go around that bend faster than the one in the video here?

Only experts can comment now, is that it paddy? Lets not have a laugh about that now paddy,

So you are telling me no experienced biker would go around that bend faster than the one in the video here?

I asked you a simple question Robbie thats all

Just wondering if you are a biker yourself??

No harm in asking that..or is there now?????

Im an experienced biker (mostly sports bikes/superbikes),and I wouldnt go around an exit/slip road with crash barrier on either side at that sort of speed.

I slow right down for such an exit/slip road like that.I put myself in a position of being able to react to anything on the road ahead.

I also avoid any wet slicks that I see ahead,I ride around/either side of them,as I do not know if its water,oil,diesel or something else.

Im not speaking for anyone else here,Im speaking for myself and being an experienced biker and also with regards my anticipation.

PS-It would be nice if you could quote my entire post too.

I asked you a simple question Robbie thats all

Just wondering if you are a biker yourself??

No harm in asking that..or is there now?????
    Now now paddy, dont insult your own intelligence. You were suggesting i am not, based on my saying many bikers would have taken that exit faster then the one here. The op himself in post 13 said he would.
    Im an experienced biker (mostly sports bikes/superbikes),and I wouldnt go around an exit/slip road with crash barrier on either side at that speed.
    He was going slow though by the time he fell. I think that is fairly clear. You say it was the same speed as he was going at the start of the video.
    I slow right down for such an exit/slip road like that.I put myself in a position of being able to react to anything on the road ahead.
    So do I when on boards. However, I have skidded at times from going too fast. It happens many of us. If it was shown on video, there would be lots on here saying that would never happen them,
    I also avoid any wet slicks that I see,I ride around/either side of them,as I do not know if its water,oil,diesel or something else.

Im not speaking for anyone else here,Im speaking for myself and being an experienced biker and also with regards my anticipation.
    I was speaking about the video.

• Advertisement

Robbie,you dont post on the motorbike forum.
    I dont see any posts about you being a biker or what bike you ride.

Ive not seen you post on the motorbike forum before

Thats why I was simply asking you if you are a biker??

It was a simple question,and a simple answer would have been nice from you.

You asked my questions about riding and expeirence and I have answered you honestly and staright out,with regards my experience and how I ride a bike and anticipate.

PS-It would be nice if you could quote my entire post too.

:p

You asked my questions about riding and expeirence and I have answered you honestly and staright out,with regards my experience and how I ride a bike and anticipate.

I never actually did ask you about that though.

I never actually did ask you about that though.

Well Robbie,with regards post 33 of yours......

Experience and riding a motorbike teachs me (being an experienced biker myself) that if theres a large oil spillage/diesel slick,or any sort of fluid slick on an exit/slip road like that,that you dont ride through it on a motorbike.

You slow right down,ride with anticipation and carefully when exiting off onto any twisting exit/slip road,and you place yourself and your bike in a position as to be able to react to and avoid a fluid spillage on such an exit.

You expect them to drive by at normal speed in that situation?

What would you say they are saying to him in that video?

No, I expect that if they are able to slow down and hang out their window for a gawk then they should pull in and offer help.

No, I expect that if they are able to slow down and hang out their window for a gawk then they should pull in and offer help.

And would you not slow down, roll down the window, and ask if he is ok? And so appear in the video just like the other drivers do? Of would you stop even if the biker said he is fine and doesnt need help?

I do think its a case of posters commenting on what they would do different, until presented with it in reality.

If it was me. i would of got out and helped pick the bike up. But if he said he does not want help, I wouldnt.

But again, no one can be certain what they will do in the reality of the situation, although on board, perfection abounds.

Im not saying you wouldnt stop and get out. You might.

And would you not slow down, roll down the window, and ask if he is ok? And so appear in the video just like the other drivers do? Of would you stop even if the biker said he is fine and doesnt need help?

I do think its a case of posters commenting on what they would do different, until presented with it in reality.

If it was me. i would of got out and helped pick the bike up. But if he said he does not want help, I wouldnt.

But again, no one can be certain what they will do in the reality of the situation, although on board, perfection abounds.

Im not saying you wouldnt stop and get out. You might.

If I see a bike at the side of the road, I stop. No ifs or buts, I always stop. If it makes me late for work or something, I don't care, I stop. I've been the biker lying on the road with cars driving past within inches of my head, hanging out their windows but not even offering help or stopping. I've been the biker at the side of the road broken down and had literally hundreds of cars drive past without one pulling in to see if I need help.

It's very obvious in the video that the bike is wedged under the barriers and he has made an attempt to move it himself without success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Did it last weekend .. put it down on the side. rested it more so ... 2 cagers stopped. thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Clear lack of cop on and anticipation,which is absolutely vital on a motorbike.

Ah come on now, that's harsh and bordering on total rubbish!

Would love to see you drive around the back roads doing 10kph!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ah come on now, that's harsh and bordering on total rubbish!

Would love to see you drive around the back roads doing 10kph!

Says the man who posted this in the recent past.......

I wear runners on my commute sometimes. Have a few friends who give me a look of disgust when I told them that. They always wear their full gear. Thing is, I use my bike for everything, even trips down to the shop, they just tour on theirs!

• Advertisement

Says the man who posted this in the recent past.......

What's that got to do with the guy in the video driving too fast :confused:

What's that got to do with the guy in the video driving too fast :confused:

I also posted that at least he had the gear on him.

But you want to talk about me and my postings and have a go at me here,for posting about how I see and do things???

If you would ever bother to "actually read" what I posted,about riding and that type of exit/slip road and the crash,before tyring to be all smart.

You aint the best person in the world to have a go at me,considering how you dress to ride a bike.

Clearly you dont think you dont need to wear the propper atire for going and RIDING (not driving) your bike.I wonder where that would get you in a crash like that then???

I'd rather be lucky than tough!

Oh and you drive a car.

You ride a bike.

But you want to talk about me and my postings and have a go at me here,for posting about how I see and do things???

If you would ever bother to "actually read" what I posted,about riding and that type of exit/slip road and the crash,before tyring to be all smart.

You aint the best person in the world to have a go at me,considering how you dress to ride a bike.

Clearly you dont think you dont need to wear the propper atire for going and RIDING (not driving) your bike.I wonder where that would get you in a crash like that then???

Oh and you drive a car.

You ride a bike.

It really is worse you`re getting

Oh and you drive a car.

You ride a bike.

Jesus wept, where do I start with that post? In fact, I won't bother. Obviously not qualified to comment cos I don't wear AGATT ;)

What is with the aggro? And what has ATGATT got to do with this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Thats filthy !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Getting well off topic and just having a pop at each other now...dont think we can salvage this bad boy now!

Please not the ATGATT crap again :rolleyes:

And for the record, you dont need to have/ride a bike to post in the motorbike section TBH. Alot of peeps could have just got rid of the machine or are looking to get back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

In my opinion, he had slowed down to an acceptable speed on that bend, and you don't know that he hadn't got a tinted visor on or anything, so maybe the oil slick wasn't as obvious to him as it was on camera.

I would also say, (in relation to the ACTUAL topic) that it would have been dangerous for any of those cars to stop on that bend, and it would have very possibly caused a bigger accident if they had have done so.

Regardless of the fact whether anyone thinks he was going 'too fast', or didn't 'anticipate' things well enough in advanced for their liking, what's the point in actually making those comments. What difference does it make? Even the best riders on the planet make mistakes and bad judgement calls (obviously with the exception of some members of boards who seem to be above everything/everyone else :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

stoneill wrote: »

That makes a lot of sense, I never thought of it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

In fairness he was walking around picking up bits and bobs so was not in dire need of assistance, maybe he did not want to hassle of some "DO GOODER" and having to explain what happened, alot of people just help coz they are nosey beatches and are not even genuine.

Advertisement