Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

tang1 wrote: »

So its a minimum of 8 weeks out, surgery in next 2 weeks to repair the damage done. Had just been coming into decent bit of form past month or so to, sub 19 5k and decent half PB on a hilly course. Was going to join your group meno but alas wont get to run DCM this year either, second year in a row injury has cost me starting. Wondering if i should knock the marathon idea on the head, anytime i step up mileage wise(at the recommended amount) i seem to pick up an injury. Best of luck with the plans lads, will be popping in and out over the summer to see how things are going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Ah sh!te sorry to hear that B

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Dazza yeah did waterside half last year, was my 2nd half marathon n I found it ok, not a lot of spectators, hence support, but was a very wet day, it's an out n back course so u constantly meeting others, which I suppose isn't the nicest but I enjoyed it last yr. Well organised.

Sorry hear that tang1, best of luck with the surgery n recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Alanm wrote: »
    Interesting, for some reason I've been under the impression that the LSR should be closer to 1/2 my weekly total!

Well, we will not be planning any 30 mile LSR's for the 60mpw runners (unless they want to :pac:)

The LSR being half weekly total is a HH novice plan mentality, but you need to move to running 5/6 days per week in order to make the LSR a third of your total. The ratio will get closer to 2.5/1 for those doing 50 mpw in marathon training.
    For a half marathon and below I think 3/1 even 4/1 is a better ratio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

So its a minimum of 8 weeks out, surgery in next 2 weeks to repair the damage done.

Balls. Sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good stuff meno. I'm hoping to join the plan in July.

Visit to osteopath this eve.. Poor posture, tilted pelvis, tight psoas muscles, tight back an neck.., no running til it's much improved! Realistically I might have to skip dcm too but we will see.

Looking forward to seeing how yis all get on. Great weather for running!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

That's rough Tang.. You were flying along. Hope you make a comeback later in the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

I'm sorry to hear that as well. I remember you had the Planter thingy last year just as your training was coming good. This time around you were just unfortunate. Hope it goes well and you heal quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Mini race report here from tonight

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84957485#post84957485

Now to read back on Meno's plan...very exciting!

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that Tang. Hope the surgery and recovery goes well for you. Fierce bad luck:(

User|Current mileage|planned peak mileage|DCM Goal
    Runchick|35+|55-60|sub4
    elPadrino|30+|50+|3:30
    Weetabix|25+|45-55|4:15
    Statts|30+|50-60|3:30
    DOCO12|30-35|50-55|Sub 3:30
    Killian|30+|50+|4hrs
    Alan|30|50-60|Sub 3:15
    Tenreds|30+|50-60|Sub 3:30
    murphd77|30+|50ish|3:45
    RedRunner|30+|50+|3:45

I'm at your mercy Meno. i've an injury interrupted year so far so my average weekly mileage is a bit down but have done 40 miles in lead up to HM in March. Working my way back to that at present hitting 30 or close to it at moment. Target time might be slightly ambitious after 4:27 last year but the last 10k is my nemesis and I need to run the entire race with no walking for it to be a complete success for me. You know my history with injuries too but sure let's give it a shot;)

I was thinking of doing the Athlone HM as target HM rather than Dublin.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Runchick|35+|55-60|sub4
    Killian|30+|50+|4hrs

I'm at your mercy Meno. i've an injury interrupted year so far so my average weekly mileage is a bit down but have done 40 miles in lead up to HM in March. Working my way back to that at present hitting 30 or close to it at moment. Target time might be slightly ambitious after 4:27 last year but the last 10k is my nemesis and I need to run the entire race with no walking for it to be a complete success for me. You know my history with injuries too but sure let's give it a shot;)

if you stay injury free then your current splits look good enough for 3.45 at the least.

^^^^ You're so kind BL thanks;) Long way to go yet though.

RedRunner wrote: »
    ^^^^ You're so kind BL thanks;) Long way to go yet though.

Yeah well the longer the better in my opinion. Gives more time to build up to some sort of fitness. I think I'll follow the Irish Runner one and see how that progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

So its a minimum of 8 weeks out, surgery in next 2 weeks to repair the damage done. Had just been coming into decent bit of form past month or so to, sub 19 5k and decent half PB on a hilly course. Was going to join your group meno but alas wont get to run DCM this year either, second year in a row injury has cost me starting. Wondering if i should knock the marathon idea on the head, anytime i step up mileage wise(at the recommended amount) i seem to pick up an injury. Best of luck with the plans lads, will be popping in and out over the summer to see how things are going.

Sorry to hear this tang. Mind yourself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah no. Sorry to hear that tang1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Take your time getting back tang.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Runchick wrote: »
    Sorry about the injury Killian but glad to hear its under control. How long have you noticed the sore feet?

Since Limerick, felt like there was no cushioning in my shoes and the heel was pounding off the ground. now each morning it takes about 5 mins for the feet to get working, really sore to walk anywhere until they loosen up. I'm happy that it is under control now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Dublin half for me Meno, I've signed up for the race series except the Fingal one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Since Limerick, felt like there was no cushioning in my shoes and the heel was pounding off the ground. now each morning it takes about 5 mins for the feet to get working, really sore to walk anywhere until they loosen up. I'm happy that it is under control now though.

Think I've posted this before, but I found this stretch very good Killian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I'm already in for the Dublin half Meno.

Grand so!!
    Looks like most people are doing a Half 5 weeks out, except RR who is doing Athlone the week before. It shouldn't be too hard to modify the plan to suit both scenarios, just a matter of switching weeks around.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Sorry to hear that Tang, it sucks being injured!
    I'm up for Athlone half too, did it last year and it's not called the flatline for nothing :) very well organised too.
    Cheers for all the advice Meno it's much appreciated . I'm looking forward to upping the mileage. As others have said here I feel I def go too fast on my long runs . Roughly how much slower than say your 5k or 10k race pace should u go?

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Cheers for all the advice Meno it's much appreciated . I'm looking forward to upping the mileage. As others have said here I feel I def go too fast on my long runs . Roughly how much slower than say your 5k or 10k race pace should u go?

Well; there'll be a few different types of long run in the plan, some long Slow runs, some long steady runs and some Long Runs with PMP sections.

For the Long Slow runs I'd be looking at a minimum of 10% slower than marathon pace, more likely closer to 15% slower.

I'll explain in more details when the plan starts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Runchick|35+|55-60|sub4
    Killian|30+|50+|4hrs
    overpronator|25|55-60|3.29|

Looking forward to the sessions and I like the idea of filling in the gaps as we see fit. Im another for the race series so the Dublin Half for me. Im not currently hitting 30 miles but ill be back up around that by week, really needed a few quiet weeks after Limerick but 30+ wont be an issue at all in these next few weeks before the plan starts.

6.2 miles done in the glorious sunshine this morning, great to get out, feet still sore, esp my infected toe, started antibiotics yest so hopefully will clear up quickly enuf. Def found my calves n quads tight, amazing what the marathon takes out of ye, don't remember my legs feeling as tight after DCM, though maybe they did. Beach n BBQ it is for the afternoon now, group of friends n kids going together so will b lovely to chill n relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Just a quick question how long till your legs recover after a marathon,did 2 miles last night and legs don't feel good :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

tenreds wrote: »
    Just a quick question how long till your legs recover after a marathon,did 2 miles last night and legs don't feel good :confused:

Everybody is different,the rule of thumb is one days rest for every mile raced.
    The important thing is to listen to your body.
    If you feel you have to have a run,remember SLOW & SHORT,just recovery runs.

If you do too much too soon you could very easily end up injured or just completely knackered.

Maybe a swim or a cycle wouldn't go astray,just to help the body recover.

• Advertisement

12 miles @9:03avg today in the glorious sunshine today. Very enjoyable and felt good throughout.

Advertisement