Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Ginger83 wrote: »
    A little bit of moss

Spray it with hypochlorite approx 4:1 (or 3:1)
    thats 4 parts water 1 part Hypo, hire a Rotary surface cleaner for driveways or paving. Spray on the Hypo when it foams up its ready for the surface cleaner, just wash it off do not power wash it, keep the pets indoors cover your eyes and skin this stuff is very very strong bleach available at most farm supply stores € 25 for 25ltrs approx
    Seal the driveway with Liquafix S when you get a good spell of weather, it will extend the lifespan of your driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Ginger83

macadam wrote: »
    thats 4 parts water 1 part Hypo, hire a Rotary surface cleaner for driveways or paving. Spray on the Hypo when it foams up its ready for the surface cleaner, just wash it off do not power wash it, keep the pets indoors cover your eyes and skin this stuff is very very strong bleach available at most farm supply stores € 25 for 25ltrs approx
    Seal the driveway with Liquafix S when you get a good spell of weather, it will extend the lifespan of your driveway.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭trg

Hi macadam, is there a big difference in 60mm surface v 50mm surface? I've 2 quotes for SMA but one for 60mm and one for 50mm. Cost wise there's 3800 in difference.

Does the 10mm mean a longer life I wonder?

trg wrote: »
    Hi macadam, is there a big difference in 60mm surface v 50mm surface? I've 2 quotes for SMA but one for 60mm and one for 50mm. Cost wise there's 3800 in difference.

Does the 10mm mean a longer life I wonder?

50mm is a minimum recommended depth for driveways with one layer.

What kinda area you talking? Is that the compacted depth (50mm/60mm)??
    Machine lay or hand lay???
    It does seem excessive, it just extra material €3800 equates to a load or more depending on a variety of things..

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

It does seem excessive, it just extra material €3800 equates to a load or more depending on a variety of things..

Do.you mind me asking is there that much difference in machine laid and hand laid. Why is machine laid preferred and is hand laid to be avoided.As other posters have eluded to,.thanks for wealth of experience shared in this thread already

• Advertisement

dh1985 wrote: »
    Do.you mind me asking is there that much difference in machine laid and hand laid. Why is machine laid preferred and is hand laid to be avoided.As other posters have eluded to,.thanks for wealth of experience shared in this thread already

Machine lay if the driveway suits, you get a more even mat . However there are driveways it doesnt suit the weather may not suit to hot match joints, there will also inevitably be a bit of hand laying around most houses, if the driveway wasnt installed to suit the width of machine or two pulls etc.

Seen a complete chancer laying a driveway by hand here last thursday week, he was finishing it off at 10.30am and it was minus 5.. Watch out for Cowboys and Mexicans !!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭trg

Cheers Macadam. Its machine lay and its 60mm compacted to 50mm I'm told.

The cheaper quote wasn't very recent so prices could be gone up too. The area is 1200 m2

trg wrote: »
    Cheers Macadam. Its machine lay and its 60mm compacted to 50mm I'm told.

The cheaper quote wasn't very recent so prices could be gone up too. The area is 1200 m2

60mm will compact to around 40/45mm , 1200m2 @50mm will require 141 tonnes.
    1200m2 @60mm will take 170 tonnes these quantities are compacted depth.

What part if the country are you and who quoted for the job?
    Prices have gone up 4-7% and probably will rise again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just to get in on this. I've 600m2 which has tarmac but it's come away in some areas.

Can it be covered over or will it need taking up and redoing.?

What kind of money am I looking at?

Part of it used to have farm machinery but that's been sorted with another gate

I'm in kerry

Just to get in on this. I've 600m2 which has tarmac but it's come away in some areas.

Can it be covered over or will it need taking up and redoing.?

What kind of money am I looking at?

Part of it used to have farm machinery but that's been sorted with another gate

I'm in kerry

A few pictures would help, what do you require is it just for light traffic or for heavy vehicles , is the sub base solid could you get a CBR Test done, when you say "its come away in some areas" what exactly do you mean?
    Who is the local supplier of Bituminous products??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Can anyone confirm if reputable tarmac contractors are doing any jobs (or even permitted to do jobs?) at the moment? I assume they would fall into the construction category and are therefore not permitted to do anything non-essential?

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if reputable tarmac contractors are doing any jobs (or even permitted to do jobs?) at the moment? I assume they would fall into the construction category and are therefore not permitted to do anything non-essential?

Just essential works i believe. although I seen a few Mexicans working around here in minus 5 temps when you wouldnt put the dog out.
    I also heard of one crew also mexican who were sent packing with a load and a half of tarmac they had laid about 5 tonnes and the gardai appeared, told them to pack up and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Just essential works i believe. although I seen a few Mexicans working around here in minus 5 temps when you wouldnt put the dog out.
    I also heard of one crew also mexican who were sent packing with a load and a half of tarmac they had laid about 5 tonnes and the gardai appeared, told them to pack up and go home.

lol thanks macadam!

I had a “non-Mexican” contractor priced and lined up to do the driveway in my new build but I haven’t heard from him in a few weeks. I guess there’s no point chasing him so until this madness eases a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

A few pictures would help, what do you require is it just for light traffic or for heavy vehicles , is the sub base solid could you get a CBR Test done, when you say "its come away in some areas" what exactly do you mean?
    Who is the local supplier of Bituminous products??

There's a few spots where the stones came loose and theres holes in the bitumen.
    It's light traffic these days. Used to belong to a farmer so would have had tractors on it up to a few years ago
    I'll get some photos tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mintybells

Need a bit of advice please, we're getting our yard done but not sure whether to go for Ashphalt or tarmac ?
    It's a big job, and we want to get it right ? Have heard ashphalt lasts better, but it's very pricey?

Mintybells wrote: »
    Need a bit of advice please, we're getting our yard done but not sure whether to go for Ashphalt or tarmac ?
    It's a big job, and we want to get it right ? Have heard ashphalt lasts better, but it's very pricey?
    PM Me a few pictures and the location pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4

Hi, just wondering a rough idea on price. Thanks

I have existing driveway 15m2 and grass 20m2
    How much to take up grass and old driveway and lay one new driveway (30m2) new kerbs either side (5m x2)
    I'm in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'm thinking my drive may need similar.
    It's laid about 20 years at this stage and is still holding up perfect but is very weathered looking.

I spray it for moss/weeds each year but was thinking of getting it resealed.
    Would the above do the job the same as if I hired in someone to wash/reseal it or is there much work into putting down the Liquafix my self?

billbond4 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering a rough idea on price. Thanks

I have existing driveway 15m2 and grass 20m2
    How much to take up grass and old driveway and lay one new driveway (30m2) new kerbs either side (5m x2)
    I'm in Athlone

Try a few local contractors its small, a lot of tarmac contractors would do it if it was ready.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'm thinking my drive may need similar.
    It's laid about 20 years at this stage and is still holding up perfect but is very weathered looking.

I spray it for moss/weeds each year but was thinking of getting it resealed.
    Would the above do the job the same as if I hired in someone to wash/reseal it or is there much work into putting down the Liquafix my self?

What size is the driveway?

• Advertisement

What size is the driveway?

Approx 400 sq. m

yabadabado wrote: »
    Approx 400 sq. m

Two men would paint/seal that in a good day, best job is two coats. Pm me anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Folks,
    Any recommendations for a contractor for a small job in Galway county? (About 20SqM driveway extension) The area is dug out, just needs fill, kerbs cut out and tarmac put in place.
    I've found it difficult to get what I would call a realistic price and/or a reputable contractor.

Try a few local contractors its small, a lot of tarmac contractors would do it if it was ready.

Got a quote of 1800 for it

Macadam your pms are full, I tried to send you one

billbond4 wrote: »
    Macadam your pms are full, I tried to send you one

Freed some space fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭deliege

kippy wrote: »
    Folks,
    Any recommendations for a contractor for a small job in Galway county? (About 20SqM driveway extension) The area is dug out, just needs fill, kerbs cut out and tarmac put in place.
    I've found it difficult to get what I would call a realistic price and/or a reputable contractor.

If you get any can you fwd to me? Similar situation (area a bit larger, i.e. 100m²)

If you aren't happy with the what the contractor is proposing go elsewhere.Its your money and don't be browbeaten into a job it's sounds like you don't particularly like.

dee1983 wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice. In your opinion do you think it's a reasonable quote? I'm just not sure whether it's priced too low which means the likelihood of substandard results or alternatively priced too high.

I can't advise you on the price because I wouldn't know ,others here will know a lot more.
    Have you gotten anyone else to quote it or is this person/company well known in the area ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

deliege wrote: »
    If you get any can you fwd to me? Similar situation (area a bit larger, i.e. 100m²)

I've decided to do the whole driveway (taking up the older (20 years old)) surface also.
    So there's about 64 metres to be done. I've gotten a price of approx 4K to do the whole job (includes lifting the old stuff, removal etc.

Advertisement