Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

belcarra wrote: »

and you boggers have the cheek to call us west brits!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

TRR wrote: »
    and you boggers have the cheek to call us west brits!!!!!

I thought we sorted all that true Irishman thing out when Cromwell banished the true Gaels 'Wesht of the Shhannon' and left the rest of the Country to his own!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Belcarra - are you pacing 1:40 tomorrow?

Belcarra - are you pacing 1:40 tomorrow?

Yip. You wanna listen to 1:39:30 of how Mayo are gonna beat the Dubs?

I love this. Us humble Dubs are continuously called cocky by our country cousins, yet for the last month all I've heard from Mayo folk is how they are going to win the all Ireland and wipe the floor with the Dubs.

• Advertisement

I'll join you so, but may let slip to the crowd that we have a Mayo man in attendance. I wont be responsible for their actions.

- Going to do 7m beforehand as it'll be easier to get the 20m in without too much stop/starting.

I love this. Us humble Dubs are continuously called cocky by our country cousins, yet for the last month all I've heard from Mayo folk is how they are going to win the all Ireland and wipe the floor with the Dubs.

will you be eating prawn sandwiches or watching on the telebox?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Apologies for the hijack RK, but at least the over-analysing has stopped.....;)

J, Mr Stew's sister is married to a fine upstanding Mayo man like yourself, they are living near the Dort in Dalkey and naturally have their cars festooned with Mayo flags, one of the neighbours was passing the other day and asked why they had so many Portugal flags up:D

will you be eating prawn sandwiches or watching on the telebox?

At the moment I can't get a ticket so probably the telebox. However based on past experiences I'm still holding out on a ticket. 2 years ago I hadn't a sniff of a ticket until Saturday evening. I think lads promise them to people but then get stuck with them when their mates get tickets elsewhere. Well that's my hope this year again :)

Lets just all be happy ye took care of Kerry in the Semi Final! :D
    Dublin v Mayo games always seem to be great matches and hopefully this will be no different!
    I'll join you so, but may let slip to the crowd that we have a Mayo man in attendance. I wont be responsible for their actions.
    Great - I'm still looking for a ticket so hopefully someone will give me a dig out!

Going to do 7m beforehand as it'll be easier to get the 20m in without too much stop/starting.
    I'm planning to get about 3-4 miles in beforehand and then about the same afterwards before meeting Meno et al in the pub afterwards for a drink or two.

• Advertisement

At the moment I can't get a ticket so probably the telebox. However based on past experiences I'm still holding out on a ticket. 2 years ago I hadn't a sniff of a ticket until Saturday evening. I think lads promise them to people but then get stuck with them when their mates get tickets elsewhere. Well that's my hope this year again :)

I was in a pub on Dorset St when Mayo and Kerry were parading in the 2006 final when I got a ticket. By the time I got into the Cusack Stand 8 mins had passed and we were 2-2 to 0-0 down. I had to sit there for the remainder of the game knowing we had no chance of winning and still had to pay €70 for the privilege of being humiliated.:(

had to pay €70 for the privilege of being humiliated.:(

at least you'll be humiliated for free this year.......

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

One small comment and it sparks off a full page of GAA chat trash talk....is this not a running forum?!

Anyway RK, I am a Mayo man, and a very proud one....I'll be even prouder Sunday at 5pm with two All-Irelands won.

I got myself a ticket for the Hill last night and I'm now looking to swap it for a stand ticket...I couldn't be seen with all them durty dubs!:D

So if anyone is looking to swap (and get €40 back of course), let me know.

Best of luck with the long run in the morning.

Mayo 4 Sam. Fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Before we can do any further analysis on your running we're going to need an n-dimensional graphical representation of a number of factors including Gradient Adjusted Pace.

I'm facing another weekend of no running due to injury but my treasured Cusack Stand ticket coupled with a few pints should fill the gap nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

had to pay €70 for the privilege of being humiliated.:(

m m must resist :pac:

Sad to hear that one of the runners in today's HM tragically collapsed and died, I, as many of you I'm sure, seen other runners and medics try to revive him. Very very sad.
    I've never seen so many runners stop, pull out, or lay prone on the ground at a race as I did today. Seemed to be carnage for a lot of the race.

Sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Sad to hear that one of the runners in today's HM tragically collapsed and died, I, as many of you I'm sure, seen other runners and medics try to revive him. Very very sad.
    I've never seen so many runners stop, pull out, or lay prone on the ground at a race as I did today. Seemed to be carnage for a lot of the race.

Sad news.

It's very sad, I'm quite shocked by it. I seen him and it must have been just as it happened as there was only a couple of people with him. It puts everything into perspective, I really feel for that poor mans family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Horrible news, puts our own little battles with fighting with a minute here and there in races into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Oh my god, that is shocking news. How awful for that poor mans family. We main and complain if we don't hit a time or have a bad race and when something like this happens, it just makes you feel so lucky to be able to run a race at all and run it safely.

Thoughts and sympathies with his family.

Friday 20 Sept: Rest day.

Saturday 21st Sept: 20m LSR inc Phoenix Park Half Marathon

Drove down to Whites Gate (Farmleigh) and set off on an initial 6-7 miles before the Dublin Half.
    1st 6 miles were uneventful enough - stopped to stretch for 2-3 mins after 2 miles.
    6 miles at 7:55 pace and I was in the 1:40 pen with BeepBeep, Belcarra & Mr Stew with 4 mins to spare.

We set off and being at the top of wave 2 meant that there was not much congestion around the Khyber.
    Nice to see the 3 lads shouting encouragement - Mr Stew was very into it and generated a lot of enthusiasm.
    I think Belcarra was trying to think up excuses in advance of Sundays match.........

At mile 4-5 (my 10-11) I was really enjoying it - the pace felt good (a lot of 7:30'ish miles though lads!) - I mentioned to beepbeep that its really good to just run a race every now and then rather than race it - you enjoy it more and really notice the crowds.

Funny moment when (at the top of chesterfield) Mr Stew informed the group of our route to the bottom of chesterfield) - only to be advised that we we were going through Farmleigh.......got a good laugh.

Going through Farmleigh and then back onto chesterfield - things seemed to turn a bit. A fair few people in our group dropped out of the race, towards the end of Chesterfield there were 2 runners prone on the ground - 1 seemed ok, the other had medics with him and had that silver stuff around him.

By the end of Chesterfield (my mile 16) - I decided to back off the pace - no point pushing with the 1:40's for the sake of it and risking injury (or even worse - the wrath of Boards.ie :) )- it was just a LSR afterall.
    All 3 pacers done a great job - great to see them working with the crowd & each other - nice job lads.

Coming back into the park there was a water station - great to see bottles being available (& lucozade, earlier) - made a great difference, again, many people walking up Military Road. At the top, I noticed a Garda friend of mine attending to a terrible scene with a runner on the ground getting CPR. RIP.

Coming back down the S-Bends was a welcome break - then it was onto the Upper Glen Road - again plenty of walkers and a couple more on the ground getting treatment. Felt tired at this stage - last weeks race and Thursdays session coming back to me - but I seen it out.

Met with Statss at this point and for some reason, I felt sick!! (wasn't you buddy!!) - stopped for about 10 secs and it passed - (not too sure what it was - went as quickly as it came).

Came around with about 1000m to go - yet more people lying in the recovery position, stopped for 1 bloke, but he was ok - told me to go on - plenty of people around me commenting on the amount of people in difficulty today.

Seen Stass just ahead of me and was going to try to sprint past him - :) - but it was a LSR and not a race for both of us.
    Came home in 1:42:xx

Mile 1-6: 7:55
    Mile 7-16: 7:36
    Mile 17:19: 8:15

Still had a mile to do - so grabbed my goodie bag & T-Shirt, met a friend of mine who came in just behind me and jogged to the car with him.
    - nice to get that run done - I do think I'd have struggled with the pace today if it wasn't for the race conditions.

Total: 20.05 miles @ 7:49 pace (ave HR 159)

wtd: 50.4m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sounds like we'll make a pacer out of you yet ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

FFS, no mp miles?? What kind of plan is this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

thats terrible alright about the guy who died. puts my little back problem right into perspective!

A friend of mine ran today and she said there were a lot of bodies to the side of course too.

Nice run today RK. No calf issues then?

No calf issues during!
    Tight now, but getting better, but physio on Monday will hopefully sort it.

5.9 recovery miles today. (8:44 pace - had the dog, very warm for her so kept it real slow)

If I didn't have a left calf muscle, the legs would be in fantastic shape :)

Just seen next weeks plan :eek:

wtd: 56.3m

Mon 23rd Sept.

7.7 miles at 6:30am (8:15 pace / HR 135) - my earliest run ever. Great to see the PP with the mist rising, a few other runners out as well.
    Might do more of these early morning runs.

Physio today - delighted that he thinks I can keep running - but some modifications to this weeks schedule required.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Mon 23rd Sept.

7.7 miles at 6:30am

Was out myself, great isn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Mon 23rd Sept.

7.7 miles at 6:30am (8:15 pace / HR 135) - my earliest run ever. Great to see the PP with the mist rising, a few other runners out as well.

Physio today - delighted that he thinks I can keep running - but some modifications to this weeks schedule required.

Good stuff RK. You'll get there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Mon 23rd Sept.

It must be catching.....you'll have Blocky at it next ;) Maybe even Gavlor. Although that could be a bridge too far :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It must be catching.....you'll have Blocky at it next ;) Maybe even Gavlor. Although that could be a bridge too far :D

That's more than a bridge. More chance of you not running for a week ;)

Advertisement