Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

My heart just nearly stopped just saw a car skidding left and right and nearly hit the curb luckily he was able to stop. And this is in the Waterford area.

The entire area is swamped in snow haven't seen it this bad since 2010. Amazing if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The gfs was forecasting lights snow for a good swathe of the country which is almost exactly what happened. However the intersting bit is at no point did it show anywhere getting heavy ppn which was also correct.
    So what has been learnt (something I knew for a long time) is that the gfs ppn charts are highly accurate esp when they come within the 48 hour bracket

Not sure where you are but there was consistently heavy snow showers in dublin today! What I saw today was certainly not light showers, maybe where you were but that does not mean others did not get heavy snow. Offaly and Waterford seem to have got a lot so gfs wrong in these cases

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like Waterford and maybe even Cork is gonna win this winter for snow, hard to believe. Only had a few messly 30 second dandruff type showers here today, been under the IOM shadow for nearly 12 hours now and the game is almost up for us north of Dublin. Maybe another 2 hours of an opportunity left.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

pad199207 wrote: »
    Ooh now thats a nice carpet! Now go mess in it NOW!!! it will be mostly gone by 9 or 10 in the morning!

Can't ...just can't bring myself to mess it...waited so long to see it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LoadofCROC

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

my back garden

Just gonna sit here are look at this image for a while ....then cry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Amazing how localised this is.

Left home this morning and no sign of snow, went 6 miles down the road and hit a blizzard, an accident on the road and snow lying on the ground.

Left work this evening and drove for home, turned off the clear main road (from which home is around 2 miles) and drove into another blizzard. Just about made it home, only after struggling up a hill that a van had to be towed up before me!

Spitting snow on and off since (Drogheda) but nothing major since a big dumping around 6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Waterford is Ray Houghton and we have just lobbed the Italian keeper.
    :eek:

Its still hopping down out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It's picked up here again on the Dunmore Road side of Waterford. It's lovely snow too, not wet or slushy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Do you know what I would even go as far as saying that they are fine streamers developing North and South of Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Trotter wrote: »

Nice dumping in tullamore alright would love another big shower overnight so I don't need to get up for work !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

pad199207 wrote: »
    Do you know what I would even go as far as saying that they are fine streamers developing North and South of Dublin!
    Please, there was an amazing shower coming down in Sallins about 6 ish, got home and there was nothing but a few flecks. How do you rate our chances for snow later tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Any lying snow in Kildare this evening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Isle of Man shadow currently covering pretty much all of 90% of Dublin at the moment.

A good example of the dreaded shadow!

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Can we please like sink the isle of man or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LoadofCROC

Light flurry in Wexford town right now! fingers crossed, well jays-us everythin crossed at this stage lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

:( so thats that for Blanch area tonight then is it?

My wee fella keeps hopping up to the windows to check if it's snowing,the odd flake here and there:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Isle of Man shadow currently covering pretty much all of 90% of Dublin at the moment.

A good example of the dreaded shadow!

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

What do you make of the effect from the Lake District mountains? The showers forming for the first 20 km south of the IoM are much weaker than the shower trains further south. After looking at the radar for this today, I think we have a new enemy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

On the grass, yes. Less on the roads/paths [Naas]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    :( so thats that for Blanch area tonight then is it?

My wee fella keeps hopping up to the windows to check if it's snowing,the odd flake here and there:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago I would've said yes, that's probably it for Dublin tonight. But looking at the latest radar frame we could have one last throw of the dice. *frantically clutching at straws*

compsys wrote: »
    Em, I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make?

JanuarySnowstor has been saying continually all week that there'd be no snow and that today proved it and that the models were right all along.

I'm just saying that there was snow today (and a fair bit of it too in some places) and that until late Sunday the models were wrong as they were forecasting no real snow (they were wrong from a precipitation point of view - they were spot on with the extent of the cold and when it would arrive).
    Isn't it obvious what point I'm trying to make? There was actually very small amounts of snow (what's a "fair amount" of snow anyway) with the honourable exception of Waterford and Wexford and he hasn't been saying there will be no snow all week... And the NAE and GFS models got today's precipitation more or less fine! It gave a total amount of about 4 mm for most coastal areas along the Irish Sea at some point or other. It underestimated amounts somewhat for Louth and overestimated it for Dublin city but nothing seriously wrong?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Snow in Waterford City a while ago and as i type its snowing again :D

• Advertisement

Grrrrr... I mean... enjoy! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Amazing isnt it! Although looking at the streamer track, I think that might be it for a while at least. Would you agree?

Trotter wrote: »

Hillarious posts man, enjoy the snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

South kildare, lots of snow falling here but the wind is strong, just blowing horizontally, dont think it's even touching the ground.

Looks like a swarm of crazy white night bees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Not wrote: »
    Any lying snow in Kildare this evening ?

Castledermot, almost on the Carlow border has a couple of inches.

South kildare, lots of snow falling here but the wind is strong, just blowing horizontally, dont think it's even touching the ground.

Looks like a swarm of crazy white night bees.

Always the best kind of bees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Coming down nicely in tramore:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Can confirm from Waterford area snow is sticking to the ground not just the grass. I'm expecting some good news for tomorrow regarding my rights to having a day off. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

What do you make of the effect from the Lake District mountains? The showers forming for the first 20 km south of the IoM are much weaker than the shower trains further south. After looking at the radar for this today, I think we have a new enemy...

That shower train to the north, if only the winds shifted a bit more northerly we could catch it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Rougies wrote: »
    5 minutes ago I would've said yes, that's probably it for Dublin tonight. But looking at the latest radar frame we could have one last throw of the dice. *frantically clutching at straws*
    :eek: prays

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement