Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zyxel p-660hw-t1 v3 wont connect automatically

Options
  • 20-03-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I've recently used a program to forward a port on my router as it's notoriously difficult to do with this model. The port forwarded correctly but since then my router won't automatically connect to the net. The router reboots itself a few times a day, this is not a new problem, I've learned to live with it, but now when it reboots it doesn't connect to the net and I have to go to 198.162.1.254 on my browser and sign into the router, then press connect. This is too much of a hassle and I can't find a setting for it to connect automatically on booting up. Can anyone help me please?

This is the program I used: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Simple_Port_Forwarding_d5996.html

I found it through this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055820986

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Easiest answer is your router could be faulty, if you are downloading torrents etc I have found that the ISP resets the router sometimes although they will never admit it, if router is supplied by your ISP then ask for a replacement, is your line DSL or cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Do a factory reset. Via the pinhole in the back or the HTTP interface.

Take note of your connection settings, you may have to enter them again.

P.S. I have never "learned to live with this" piece of sh*t, Dabs is selling a nice TP Link Wireless N ADSL modem/router for 35 yoyos, do yourself a big favour. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Pazma wrote: »
    I've recently used a program to forward a port on my router as it's notoriously difficult to do with this model. The port forwarded correctly but since then my router won't automatically connect to the net. The router reboots itself a few times a day, this is not a new problem, I've learned to live with it, but now when it reboots it doesn't connect to the net and I have to go to 198.162.1.254 on my browser and sign into the router, then press connect. This is too much of a hassle and I can't find a setting for it to connect automatically on booting up. Can anyone help me please?

This is the program I used: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Simple_Port_Forwarding_d5996.html

I found it through this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055820986

phone up eircom and ask for the new zyxel router

they have a brand new one to replace those crappy ones cos the firmware on those are so buggy and have lots of problems with dsl sync

i got a look at the new one in work today (i work for eircom) and it is a big improvement over the one you have (i went through 3 of those routers you have, before reverting back to an old netopia one to get stability) im going to get one of those new ones soon

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pazma

Torqay wrote: »
    Do a factory reset. Via the pinhole in the back or the HTTP interface.

Take note of your connection settings, you may have to enter them again.

P.S. I have never "learned to live with this" piece of sh*t, Dabs is selling a nice TP Link Wireless N ADSL modem/router for 35 yoyos, do yourself a big favour. ;)

I think I'll check out that other router. 35 quid's not bad at all, thanks for the tip (that's what she said). :D

phone up eircom and ask for the new zyxel router

they have a brand new one to replace those crappy ones cos the firmware on those are so buggy and have lots of problems with dsl sync

i got a look at the new one in work today (i work for eircom) and it is a big improvement over the one you have (i went through 3 of those routers you have, before reverting back to an old netopia one to get stability) im going to get one of those new ones soon

What model is that router? I'd like to check out some reviews online first. I'm very suspicious about Zyxel routers now. Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement

HelpWithIT wrote: »
    Easiest answer is your router could be faulty, if you are downloading torrents etc I have found that the ISP resets the router sometimes although they will never admit it, if router is supplied by your ISP then ask for a replacement, is your line DSL or cable?

It seems to reboot at random times, I don't even have to be using the connection at all and it'll suddenly just drop, so it mightn't be the torrenting that I may or may not be doing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

has it got the latest firmware on it

might be worth a check before buying a new one

but sounds like a hardware fault

Merl1n wrote: »
    has it got the latest firmware on it

might be worth a check before buying a new one

but sounds like a hardware fault

that router even with the latest firmware is buggy (its to do with the lack of memory in the router)... hence why eircom are starting send out the brand new one to replace them.

the new one works great though

there is a firmware update for the router the OP has that fixes his issue. the router firmware he has has a known bug regarding port forwarding/nat error

Download here to the get fix

remember even with this port forward /nat bug fix applied, your router's firewall must be set to low for port forwarding to work. the firmware in the link fixes the port forwarding/nat bug

the bug itself opens too many NAT sessions when port forwarding has been enabled, and contiunes to do this until the router's memory is full. the router then crashes and needs to be restarted.

the fix corrects this bug and the NAT should work properly and not continuosly open NAT sessions unneccessarily.

port forwarding is actually very easy on this router

to port forward on this router. you need to do the following steps

1. make sure you have firmware version 370BOE4D0 (any older firmware versions are bugged and wont work)
    2. go to the firewall setting and set it to LOW (this is absolutely necessary)
    3. go to port forwading and set up the port you want to forward (if unsure what port to use go here for a good guide on setting up port forward on almost every known router out there
    4. hit apply and your done

Advertisement