Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom E-Mail via GMail?

Options
  • 04-04-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice and tips on how to do something.

My grandparents use an Eircom.net address as their main account and have done for years now. However, they've just bought an iPad and after setting up the account on the Mail app, it's screwing everything up on the computer email client. I'm assuming it's because Eircom only supports POP and not IMAP?

Sometimes emails will come to both, sometimes not, but essentially I need a mirrored account on both. I need IMAP.

So I was thinking. Setting up a GMail account to take in the Eircom mail, then using GMail IMAP settings to bring emails to all the devices.

Now, my questions:

(1) Would this work as a solution to my issues?
    (2) Can it be set up so my grandparents will still send/receive emails using their '@eircom.net' address?

I've tried setting it up myself but can't quite get it to function the way I want.

Any help would be massively appreciated. They're anxious to get it sorted.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

In what way is it screwing up the computer mail client? Is there an option in the ipad mail app to "leave message on the server", the same on the pc?, that way the ipad/pc wont delete the mail from the server whichever syncs first. Gmail will retrieve Eircom emails no bother, I have it set up to do so myself without an issue. You can even set a label in Gmail to colour the Eircom emails orange or whatever to help differentiate.
    I believe the ipad has a Gmail app? Otherwise gmail should send them down over IMAP along with the gmail emails no issues, although it may be more difficult to differentiate between the two, if that may be an issue?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

yoyo wrote: »
    In what way is it screwing up the computer mail client? Is there an option in the ipad mail app to "leave message on the server", the same on the pc?, that way the ipad/pc wont delete the mail from the server whichever syncs first. Gmail will retrieve Eircom emails no bother, I have it set up to do so myself without an issue. You can even set a label in Gmail to colour the Eircom emails orange or whatever to help differentiate.
    I believe the ipad has a Gmail app? Otherwise gmail should send them down over IMAP along with the gmail emails no issues, although it may be more difficult to differentiate between the two, if that may be an issue?

Nick

I have no idea why the two devices don't work in tandem. Both are set to 'leave emails on server' but it's just being temperamental to say the least. Either way, I sort of need IMAP so I can mirror actions on both.

The Gmail account I'd be setting up would be create for the sole purpose of distributing these Eircom emails. So there shouldn't be any other mail coming in. Just not sure how I'd set it so they never have to know about the Gmail account. It's enough hassle trying to explain the Eircom side to them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

You can, when you're configuring your e-mail client instead of putting in the gmail smtp server just pop in the eircom smtp server. That way you can pull the e-mails from gmail using imap but send them through the eircom smtp servers. (Make sure you set your reply e-mail as person@eircom.net).

Oh, you'll need to fart around with where sent e-mails are saved if you want them to synchronise to gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey folks, I'm trying to set my eircom.net email address up on my Gmail account, so that I can send and receive and basically manage my entire eircom account, through my Gmail account.

I have done this for other accounts and it works quite well, but trying to "send as" my eircom address is giving me trouble when setting it up in Gmail.
    Add another email address that you own
    Send emails through your SMTP server
    Configure your emails to be sent through eircom.net SMTP servers Learn more

When I get to that screen, I've tried mail1.eircom.net, mail2.eircom.net and smtp.eircom.net and every other combination with my username and password I can think of but I keep getting authentication failure:
    Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
    Server returned an error: "Unspecified Error (SENT_SECOND_EHLO): Smtp server does not advertise AUTH capability code(0) "

I recall there being issues before that eircom users couldn't send mail unless they were connected to an eircom broadband connection and thinking it was very backward and I'm fearing this may be reason for my issue here.

If anyone has any solutions, please share!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

cormie wrote: »
    Hey folks, I'm trying to set my eircom.net email address up on my Gmail account, so that I can send and receive and basically manage my entire eircom account, through my Gmail account.

I have done this for other accounts and it works quite well, but trying to "send as" my eircom address is giving me trouble when setting it up in Gmail.

When I get to that screen, I've tried mail1.eircom.net, mail2.eircom.net and smtp.eircom.net and every other combination with my username and password I can think of but I keep getting authentication failure:

I recall there being issues before that eircom users couldn't send mail unless they were connected to an eircom broadband connection and thinking it was very backward and I'm fearing this may be reason for my issue here.

If anyone has any solutions, please share!

You can use your current ISPs SMTP server which should work fine. Although I do recall Google will let you send mails using the identity once you confirm you own the email. I believe this should help:
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370

It's been a while since I've set it up!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Yep, I've set this up for other email accounts for domains I own and it works well, but because I don't own the eircom.net domain and because eircom have a restriction with what connections can send mail through their smtp, I think this is what's causing the issue.

The box where you enter the smtp details is asking for:
    Add another email address that you own

Send emails through your SMTP server
    Configure your emails to be sent through eircom.net SMTP servers -Learn more
    SMTP Server: smtp.eircom.net
    Port: 25, 465 or 587
    Username: ****@eircom.net
    Password: *******

Secured connection using TLS (recommended)
    Secured connection using SSL
    Unsecured connection

Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
    Server returned an error: "Unspecified Error (SENT_SECOND_EHLO): Smtp server does not advertise AUTH capability code(0) "

So where eircom usually checks the connection to see if it's eir, it's checking it here and is seeing that it's gmail trying to connect, not my ISP.

Advertisement